Boardgames anyone? Page 543

• Your-Mother 7 Apr 2021 02:32:27 7,276 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Scott Pilgrim Miniatures dropped in my game store today. It was the first board game Kickstarter I backed, but they cancelled the first campaign and then I didnít back for relaunch. Worked out well as that has now saved me nearly 40 bucks in shipping. Looks like a fun lightweight skirmish game with stupidly high production values.
  • Your-Mother 7 Apr 2021 02:34:23 7,276 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Also cross-post a little from the WH40K thread, but Warhammer Quest Cursed City is out this Saturday. If you missed the online preorder itís fully sold out but local stores may have it. Blackstone Fortress is legit one of the best campaign dungeon crawlers out there so very much looking forward to this.
  • Bleh 7 Apr 2021 06:57:53 471 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Scott Pilgrim Miniatures dropped in my game store today. It was the first board game Kickstarter I backed, but they cancelled the first campaign and then I didnít back for relaunch. Worked out well as that has now saved me nearly 40 bucks in shipping. Looks like a fun lightweight skirmish game with stupidly high production values.
    One of the reasons I have been doing a lot less kickstarters, especially now with the VAT changes. In the early days you could get a nice discount this way.
  • Tonka 7 Apr 2021 07:58:33 31,725 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, I've also noticed it's not that much cheaper, if at all, to back things on Kickstarter. I wasn't even there in the "let's completely ignore the VAT" days that a lot of posters on bgg reminisce about.

Sounds a bit strange to me that companies would completely ignore paying VAT though.
  • alt-cmd-esc 7 Apr 2021 08:01:47 658 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    You pay more for Kickstarter these days by quite a bit sometimes. Kickstarter was ruined by big publishers jumping in and using it in any case, so itís no great loss. Even if no more games were made after I clicked to submit this post, there are still more games on the market than I could ever possibly need, so weíre all good to feed Kickstarter to the dogs.
  • Tonka 7 Apr 2021 08:39:01 31,725 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Kickstarter is a double edged sword.

I agree that a lot of big companies are using Kickstarter in a somewhat cynical fashion, and that it's now more of a pre-order channel for buckets of plastic.

But there are still some smaller games on Kickstarter, from publishers that wouldn't be able to take the economic risk of printing a bunch of games and sell them trough normal retail.

I also think that CMON et-al can use the extra money they make from Kickstarter campaigns to take bigger risks and produce more games, and even more risky ones.

My biggest issue is that once the game arrives there's a new shiny thing that has caught my attention. Right now I'm obsessively looking at John Company 2e videos, and reading through the rules. Even though Oath is right around the corner. Once the dead eye shows up it will compete with Pavlov's House for my solo-gaming.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Apr 2021 10:28:39 6,721 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    A good example of Kickstarter was the recent Grand Austria Hotel expansion. I thought that an established company developing and selling an expansion to a popular game would be easy but it seems there are many direct/indirect costs attached to getting a box into stores and the commercial risks are high. If distributors from other countries don't sign up then a company can find itself with a lot of stock that it can't sell and may have to pay to store.

On the whole kickstarter currently appears to be for games with loads of miniatures or games that might as well be video games. I don't mind seeing niche expansions, remakes/updates or deluxe editions of older games on kickstarter as these can be risky for publishers if they can't gauge how much interest there is.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 10:29:35 07-04-2021
  • Tonka 7 Apr 2021 11:30:08 31,725 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I like how Capstone are handling it. They have their own pre-order system on their own site, plus a general retail release. From what I've read one big risk factor is estimating how many copies to print for the first run.

By doing in-house pre-orders they should in theory be in a much better position for that. There's also a decent discount (that the shiping eats up) but in the end I feel like I support something I like in a better way than waiting for retail. Although.... I do want my FLGS to survive as well.

Awaken realms were the worst kind of Kickstarter dealers IMO, but they made enough to set up their own store so thats all good now.
  • ZuluHero 7 Apr 2021 11:55:13 10,095 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Another thing with kickstarter you often save money with all the stretch goals and cheaper expensions added which often cost alot more when they are finally released separately.

Even though I'm not really a massive fan of the dark souls boardgame, the amount of stuff you got for the £80 pledge is at least doubled buying it separately. Plus you do get stuff that won't ever be sold that was just added to the KS.
  • Anhunedd 7 Apr 2021 12:08:36 96 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's debatable whether the project itself represents good value (at the moment - it's got stuff to be revealed during its time on KS) but it is still possible to do a "UK friendly" project as the new AuZtralia expansions/big box KS demonstrates - $25 covers both shipping and all taxes, clearly defined up front so backers don't think taxes are "hidden".

But yeah, on the whole, it appears buying from retail is now the sensible approach - leaving KS for the truly new stuff that may not reach retail without support - i.e. back to where it should be.

Personally, I'm now really only considering expansions or sequels to stuff I've already got, or second/deluxe/collectors editions of established IP that I know I would like in a "limited edition" and don't want to risk a wait for retail. Anything else new I'm largely deciding "if it turns out to be a great game, it'll either reach retail, or be back for a second KS anyway".
  • Tonka 7 Apr 2021 13:09:15 31,725 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I've only played AuZtralia once, but I really enjoyed it. It felt like I accidentally stumbled upon an unbeatable combo though, which for me was awesome, but for the others felt a bit unfair.

The "UK Friendly" thing will become the norm. The VAT shakeup right now seem to be two things happening at once. Part of it is that the VAT has to be calculated in a different way, and part of it is Brexit. But from how I understand things it's perfectly doable to have the VAT, import tax, yadda yadda, included in the price from the beginning. Someone just has to do all the paperwork.
  • Gregolution 7 Apr 2021 13:30:46 11,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    oh boy, Midarra is turning up in a couple of hours. that's another BIG box to find a place for.
  • Kernowgaz 7 Apr 2021 16:31:57 220 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just picked up my JIME mat and fuck me itís massive. I thought my table was easily big enough ( I use a folding decorating table) but it overlaps it by 6 inches, my kitchen table isnít big enough either but only by 2 inches.

Has anyone got there Cloudspire expansions yet? Mine is being delivered tomorrow.

Edited by Kernowgaz at 16:32:12 07-04-2021
  • Grim 7 Apr 2021 18:41:17 102 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Cloudspire and expansions turned up last weekend. Ordered both story and scenario books as well and they are superb.

Middara is due tomorrow, and got bought Aliens AGDITC recently as it is back in stock.....there's not enough hours in the day...
  • Kernowgaz 7 Apr 2021 18:50:29 220 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Thatís some collection there, Are you in the UK Grim?

Edited by Kernowgaz at 18:51:26 07-04-2021
  • Grim 7 Apr 2021 19:49:44 102 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    I am.

I purchased the games for a 'rainy day', but to be honest I need to retire in order to get enough time to enjoy them properly.
    ;)
  • Kernowgaz 7 Apr 2021 20:12:20 220 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I thought I was getting mine early 😂
  • Gregolution 7 Apr 2021 21:23:33 11,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    where the feck is my Cloudspire!!?
  • Nemesis 7 Apr 2021 21:49:00 20,035 posts
    Seen 23 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    https://chiptheorygames.com/store-intl/#!/Too-Many-Bones-The-Automaton-of-Shale-Other-Secrets/p/322023290/category=0
  • Anhunedd 7 Apr 2021 22:00:51 96 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    where the feck is my Cloudspire!!?
    Same! I had a mail that said shipping was imminent at the end of March, but nothing more. I'm new to Cloudspire with this delivery. Looking forward to it.
  • Gregolution 8 Apr 2021 08:55:49 11,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    https://chiptheorygames.com/store-intl/#!/Too-Many-Bones-The-Automaton-of-Shale-Other-Secrets/p/322023290/category=0
    ooooh
  • Gregolution 8 Apr 2021 09:50:46 11,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'm never one to buy lore books or extra fluff but they've been very cheeky there and added a new tyrant.
  • Bleh 8 Apr 2021 10:43:41 471 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I always liked pop-up books, maybe because it's less reading :p. Read the blog post and it seems they have put in quiet some extra stuff in it. I guess you'll be able to replay the mission with the encounter cards.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Apr 2021 11:53:11 33,710 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    My copy of SPQR and a ridiculous counter clipper has just arrived.

My transition to fully fledged middle-aged grognard is complete.
  • Tonka 8 Apr 2021 12:00:09 31,725 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Bought a set of tweezers yet?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WNuX3Tb5Ato
  • Anhunedd 8 Apr 2021 13:45:14 96 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    I'm never one to buy lore books or extra fluff but they've been very cheeky there and added a new tyrant.
    Agreed. I'm a bit of a gameplay completionist when I get into a game, so this bothers me a bit. However the description does say the gameplay content will remain exclusive to the book until at least holiday 2022, which implies they will then release just the gameplay stuff, perhaps as a promo pack, at that time.

Given the book is just over Ä67 (~£59) including delivery in the UK, I can wait...
  • Gregolution 8 Apr 2021 14:43:59 11,063 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Anhunedd wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Agreed. I'm a bit of a gameplay completionist when I get into a game, so this bothers me a bit. However the description does say the gameplay content will remain exclusive to the book until at least holiday 2022, which implies they will then release just the gameplay stuff, perhaps as a promo pack, at that time.

Given the book is just over Ä67 (~£59) including delivery in the UK, I can wait...
    Nice, i'll do the same.
  • Kernowgaz 8 Apr 2021 16:18:59 220 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just received my Cloudspire expansions and the update pack which is a fucking bargain for $10 - nearly 50 chips, 44 cards, 5 reference sheets, Griege scenario book and the 2.0 rulebooks and 2 scenario books.

Hereís whatís updated.

https://i.imgur.com/bIPSdyg.jpg

Edited by Kernowgaz at 17:04:39 08-04-2021
  • ChiefGB 8 Apr 2021 20:32:19 13,611 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played chapter 2 of tainted grail today, took me about 4 hours........Iím fucking shattered now 🤣
    In my defence Iím playing solo two handed, and I had to do a last minute diversion down the map and back.

That and Iím a bit slow probably. Taking notes as advised also slowing me down.
    Itís a very interesting story and Iím enjoying it. Just need some serious free time to get through it.
  • Your-Mother 8 Apr 2021 20:35:30 7,276 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My local store has the complete Cloudspire in, and even though I generally buy everything going, for some reason I just have zero interest in it. Might be because I bounced hard off the last couple of CTG games Iíve played (Hoplomachus and Triplock), and Iím ambivalent on TMB, but I just canít muster any enthusiasm.

No big loss either way, itís not like I donít have plenty else to play.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.