Boardgames anyone? Page 545

• Tonka 13 Apr 2021 14:52:19 31,798 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Got my Tracking number for Oath. But of course it doesn't work. I've been clicking that bastard for 4 hours now and I get an error message every time. Gods I hate DHL.
  • Your-Mother 13 Apr 2021 15:43:56 7,375 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, Lair of Dagon has been completely fucked up outside the US, and Into the Maelstrom is delayed inside the US. Itís a knock on effect of the Suez Canal stuff to some extent, but also Asmodee being generally shitty with supply chain.

I should be getting ItM this week, though I havenít even started Innsmouth yet so no rush.
  • Gregolution 15 Apr 2021 17:14:21 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes you got Cloudspire yet mate? i'm intrigued to hear what you think. Received my expansions this morning and dying to test out the new factions against everyone now.

It was a really nightmare to learn with 1st edition but a mate backed this one and found it much easier with the new rules than I did.
  • Kernowgaz 15 Apr 2021 17:30:22 228 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @StarchildHypocrethes you got Cloudspire yet mate? i'm intrigued to hear what you think. Received my expansions this morning and dying to test out the new factions against everyone now.

It was a really nightmare to learn with 1st edition but a mate backed this one and found it much easier with the new rules than I did.
    Did you get the update pack as well? Iíve still not sorted mine out yet
  • Tonka 15 Apr 2021 17:58:08 31,798 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Looks like I might get Path tomorrow, just in time for the weekend.

Also got a notice for Sleeping God's and a "Final chance to change your address" from the company handling the Dead Eye fulfillment.

Full on ketchup effect.
  • Gregolution 15 Apr 2021 18:15:58 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Kernowgaz

Yes. Need to organise
  • StarchildHypocrethes 15 Apr 2021 20:12:29 33,762 posts
    Seen 57 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Gregolution Nope, no sign of it yet :( Havent had a shipping notice or anything.
  • Gregolution 15 Apr 2021 22:24:56 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

I got shipping email yesterday and arrived first thing this morning. Not much notice
  • f00b_inc 16 Apr 2021 10:38:47 901 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Got my Tracking number for Oath. But of course it doesn't work. I've been clicking that bastard for 4 hours now and I get an error message every time. Gods I hate DHL.
    Nice one! I am looking forward to receiving this but no notification as yet. Even more difficult will be finding an extra 1-2 people to actually get this one on the table...
  • Anhunedd 16 Apr 2021 10:53:15 101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nothing for me yet on Cloudspire in UK. Also no sign of Tiny Epic Pirates despite others in UK receiving theirs. But I did get Sleeping Gods nearly two months ago now, so shows how much it varies.

Just looked back down my list - my oldest outstanding KS is currently Sword & Sorcery Ancient Chronicles, which is apparently on the container ship at the moment. That closed on KS in November 2018 with an estimated delivery of December 2019 :)
  • FozzieBear 16 Apr 2021 10:58:42 13 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Anhunedd wrote:
    But I did get Sleeping Gods nearly two months ago now, so shows how much it varies.
    )
    How have you found Sleeping Gods? I've seen it up for pre-order and I'm tempted. Be interested to hear some thoughts.
  • Gregolution 16 Apr 2021 10:59:39 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @FozzieBear

I can tell you component and art wise it's glorious but I haven't actually learned the rules yet!

Need to pull my finger out, I've never had unplayed games in my collection until this year. :|
  • RyanDS 16 Apr 2021 16:52:34 13,967 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A few myths packs for Arkham popped up today. (I google daily...)

Path to carcosa echoes of the past for sale at the Ludoquist.

Dice and decks have:
    Dim carcosa
    A phantom truth
    Black stars rise
    Guardians of the Abyss scenario.

In case anyone is looking. None of these were available yesterday.
  • Anhunedd 16 Apr 2021 22:06:50 101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    FozzieBear wrote:
    How have you found Sleeping Gods? I've seen it up for pre-order and I'm tempted. Be interested to hear some thoughts.
    I'm only about 3 hours in (each campaign apparently takes 10-20 hours) playing solo. Enjoying it so far, but finding it hard - I've not left the "starting zone" and had to return to port twice now to basically revive most of my crew after an encounter or two. There is an official easy mode (posted on the KS) and I may need to adopt that going forward, else I doubt I'll see much of the game at this rate! Even the "easy" events have caused me lasting problems!

It's definitely a nice package that sits on the table well (Get a big table, you'll need it. And a side table.). Mechanics wise it seems to hold together solidly - a moderate amount of "bits and pieces" management, but nothing different to other games like this. About my only criticism is it can be easy to lose track of whether you have done 1 or 2 actions (as they can take so long to resolve) - but I will fix that next time to the table with a counter of some sort. Combat is nicely done (and dangerous...), but I suspect it would play differently with 2+ players than I am experiencing, as of course I can choose from all the crew all the time, rather than having to co-operate with others.

I presume over time you will "learn" what each location holds on replays, so I guess that might eventually limit the fun of the gameplay - but you can always just sail past those on later campaigns I guess (there is a legacy record of which things you have completed - ultimately the aim is to find and complete them all) to explore new areas.

In some ways it kind of reminds me of the video game Sunless Seas if you've played that - explore, discover things to do, and slowly get further from home.
  • Your-Mother 16 Apr 2021 22:18:40 7,375 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I got a little bored of Sleeping Gods, as it felt a bit repetitive but the narrative wasn't strong enough to help me overlook it. The exploration aspect was nice, but it felt like more of the same stuff. I need to get back into it and finish off the campaign though, maybe it'll pick up towards the end.
  • Gregolution 17 Apr 2021 12:32:08 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    seems to be getting some very good reviews
  • Raiftel 17 Apr 2021 13:07:35 268 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was flipping through the Island Siege rulebook whilst playing the, surprisingly great, solo mode and I was struck by how old fashioned board games are in terms of theme and vibe. Just untouched by modern sensibilities.

In this instance the manual cheerfully describing the Colonist Victory as having successfully colonised the Carribbean by having all of your Meeples assigned to forts. Like, I'm not sure how comfortable I am having a coloniser victory, where I've essentially indentured a whole bunch of servitude. It's not a big deal, to me, but feels so.... quaint
  • ZuluHero 17 Apr 2021 23:07:08 10,150 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Monster hunter world boardgame going into KS soon:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/steamforged/monster-hunter-world-the-board-game?ref=49sno8

Edited by ZuluHero at 23:07:19 17-04-2021
  • Your-Mother 17 Apr 2021 23:22:14 7,375 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Raiftel wrote:
    I was flipping through the Island Siege rulebook whilst playing the, surprisingly great, solo mode and I was struck by how old fashioned board games are in terms of theme and vibe. Just untouched by modern sensibilities.

In this instance the manual cheerfully describing the Colonist Victory as having successfully colonised the Carribbean by having all of your Meeples assigned to forts. Like, I'm not sure how comfortable I am having a coloniser victory, where I've essentially indentured a whole bunch of servitude. It's not a big deal, to me, but feels so.... quaint
    Itís changing. There was a big to do recently about colonialist views in some older games getting reprinted, but itís more to do with how itís presented rather than the theme in of itself. Google Phil Eklund if youíre curious for some of the debate.
  • alt-cmd-esc 18 Apr 2021 09:33:23 660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Uh oh, itís the Phil Eklund rabbit hole. Donít click on any links posted by Phil unless you are in full tinfoil armour.
  • Gregolution 18 Apr 2021 12:13:45 11,066 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @Raiftel play Spirit Island. The human colonists are the enemy
  • Tonka 18 Apr 2021 12:30:48 31,798 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Colonialism in boardgames, and in general I guess, send to be going through a massive evolution. That and diverse representation.

John Company 2e (good example of a current take colonialism in boardgames) have both male and female portraits on some pieces that are used.

That kicked off some "There weren't any girls in the EIC" debate on BGG with loads of deleted posts. But what's left is a pretty interesting debate.
  • Raiftel 18 Apr 2021 14:11:50 268 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution

I picked that up a few weeks ago after seeing it on a bunch of lists and reading about the theme. Haven't had chance to play it yet, most stuff I'm bringing to the housemate boardgame nights is a little lighter, but I can't wait to crack it open.
  • Raiftel 18 Apr 2021 14:18:56 268 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Your-Mother Spent some time this morning reading one of the threads on BGG about Eklund parting ways with ION. Interesting stuff, very interesting to see the general vibe within BGG being apprehension at the sudden influx of boardgame interest over the last few years changing the industry.

For me theme isn't a massive reason for me to pick stuff up, but it helps to have a juicy hook when trying to explain the rules. It helps when a theme is super evocative (I love MODERN ART a lot because it's theme just struck people and made it really easy to explain), but at the moment most of the games I'm bringing to the table are all about trains for some reason.

I think sometimes a theme can also be a little unhelpful, we've tried THE CREW a few times (it's a game we don't seem to get anyways) and it's really hard to mesh the theme with the mechanics.

ISLAND SIEGE was the first game where I was trying to work out how I'd explain the theme to my friends, especially one of my friends of afro-carribean descent. And there are a couple of games which are bit more overtly 'boyish' that I'm going to have to think about how to bring to the table (BLOOD RAGE, GHOST STORIES, ELDRITCH HORROR)

Edited by Raiftel at 14:20:06 18-04-2021
  • Anhunedd 18 Apr 2021 22:41:52 101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Spent some more time with Sleeping Gods today. Still getting hammered at every stage - combat usually leaves me with no more than 3 crew left with any health left, and then only a point or two. Yet there's no easy way to heal on the move that I've found - at best you might make a recipe to fully heal one crew (5 or 6 points) but that takes up most of the food I've gathered over 2-3 encounters.

Same with fatigue - I seem to have to use 3-5 fatigue generating checks per turn on average, but can only remove 1 fatigue from one crew every turn at best (one from a ship action I can do every other turn and one from a crew member, which spends rare command tokens and a food resource).

It's so challenging I keep thinking I've missed something, but have been back through the rules and can't see it. It's almost as if I should actually be "failing" - it seems the "death" mechanic is more generous than trying to heal/restore through the rest of the game mechanics.

I did search around and found some other people with the same opinion, but then came across a review that said the game was too easy, with all checks being trivial very quickly - and again, I just can't see how - even if you stack abilities on your crew, you either need to discard them to just about meet checks, or you lose them anyway during the game.

Might need to house rule this one to see it through.
  • Your-Mother 18 Apr 2021 23:28:54 7,375 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, Iíve experienced and heard the same, that you should be failing more rather than fatiguing crew, and only go for broke on something crucial. Avoiding combat and not pushing on simple challenges seems to be the way to go, last time I played I wasnít even committing crew to most of the challenges and it seemed smoother.
  • Anhunedd 19 Apr 2021 12:27:22 101 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think perhaps it is something you get better at once you learn to use the synergy combos really well in combat, but for now, I think I'm going to adopt the official easy mode going forward, plus I might mess with a couple of house rules people have proposed to make combat less deadly. As it stands, the enemies never miss, and get a whole round of second strikes too at the end of each combat turn, which seems very one sided.

One person suggested not having splash damage against the crew, which seems reasonable. At the moment, you attack with four crew, one after another, and the "never miss" counterattacks tend to reduce those crew to just one or two health. Then the second wave of monster attacks gives more damage than any one of them can absorb, so you end going into the next round with 2-3 crew down, and another 2-3 nearly down too.

I do know equipment is meant to help too - activating blocks to prevent damage, but I never seem to have more than 1-2 command going into a combat, and even if I did have more, I've only acquired one piece of armour so far anyway, so the best I can do is block one single attack.

I did find one rule I hadn't followed - you can discard an ability card from your hand to add to a challenge of that card's icon. Which might make the odd +1 difference here and there, but the hand limit is 3, so it is of limited help, and doesn't help combat anyway - the only thing I've been able to do there is discard matching equipped cards to get +1 damage (if I hit...) and that's not a very efficient use of those cards, as they have cost command to equip and are really needed for the challenges.

Edited by Anhunedd at 12:28:15 19-04-2021
  • millerlfc 20 Apr 2021 18:52:52 666 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    More drama with one of my backed Kickstarters - Final Girl (solitaire card game with horror movie scenarios). The assistant producer/designer last week murdered his wife and mother-in-law then killed himself.

Bit more serious than the usual problems with these KS projects. Obviously leading to delays and they're working to remove his name from the game (although still listed prominently on the Kickstarter page). But it's going to make playing the final game a bit morbid considering it involves female characters being hunted by deranged killers.
  • Nemesis 20 Apr 2021 20:35:27 20,051 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Mad situation.

My mate adores Hostage Negotiator and had FG backed and was talking about the turn of events earlier.

Blimey.
  • ChiefGB 20 Apr 2021 21:02:30 13,658 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @millerlfc Jesus, I missed the campaign, the game looked interesting at a glance. Thatís some mad shit though.
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.