Boardgames anyone? Page 547

Next Last
  • RyanDS 23 Apr 2021 19:36:19 13,967 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Oh god. I spend more time sorting Arkham than playing it.

Delivery today meant I have entire collection up to the start of innsmouth. I may or may not have literally spent 6 hours stripping cards out of wallets, sorting, organising etc.

I now have 4 wallets, 2 of scenarios all in order, with all key cards separated (eg cards that you retain, weaknesses etc for easy access.)

Then 2 more wallets of every single card sorted by colour, then cost, then skill/asset etc.

I have never felt so ashamed of myself yet so proud at the same time.
  • Slurmseh 23 Apr 2021 19:44:02 2,840 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    My carcosa cycle arrived today. I haven’t even opened the shipping box! I know I’ll have to organise everything and redistribute some sleeves from my marvel collection to sleeve the set.

I also bought a huge wooden box to store my player cards and haven’t even organised that yet!
  • Your-Mother 23 Apr 2021 19:54:38 7,375 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I've moved from box to binder for the player cards. It makes more sense for deck construction purposes, easier to leaf through and quick compare cards. Scenarios just stay in a box though as for the most part they're lift and play, and sorting them all out from binders would be a ball ache every time.
  • Slurmseh 23 Apr 2021 20:04:34 2,840 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just build on ArkhamDB for ease of comparison. But yeah I get what what you mean.

All my mythos cards are stored in their respective “Return To” boxes
  • kentmonkey 24 Apr 2021 08:41:43 24,249 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    kentmonkey wrote:
    @Nemesis surely going to be a fake copy!?
    I saw some pictures of a hilarious counterfeit ROOT on Twitter. They had made new art for it and it was charmingly ugly.

Seems the original tweet with half decent piccs of it got deleted. Here are some screengrabs though.
    https://twitter.com/d20plusmodifier/status/1278713427481858049
    I mean, it really shouldn't be funny and it's not.

But it is.
  • rice_sandwich 27 Apr 2021 13:26:25 6,722 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Join the EG board game server for all sorts of chat about board games, playing live online & async games and buying/selling/trading board games. There is a lively Marvel Champions channel & a few uber nerds in the 18xx train game chat. We usually have a live game night every Wednesday.

https://discord.gg/wX6ZhDr2
  • Tonka 27 Apr 2021 13:37:51 31,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Got my copy of The Dead Eye yesterday. Really lovely little box. The 3D effects are super cool but a bit taxing after 10 minutes. Luckily the game can be played without the 3D glasses on.

Gameplay so far (two plays) show depth and a real challenge. I can see the potential for some strategies but I'm not familiar with the game to the point where I can execute on them all.

Definitely pays off to know the deck a bit, and to count cards.
  • ChiefGB 27 Apr 2021 15:28:56 13,658 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    rice_sandwich wrote:
    Join the EG board game server for all sorts of chat about board games, playing live online & async games and buying/selling/trading board games. There is a lively Marvel Champions channel & a few uber nerds in the 18xx train game chat. We usually have a live game night every Wednesday.

https://discord.gg/wX6ZhDr2
    By “lively” he means me regularly throwing my toys out the pram around the latest expansion 🤣 but plenty of light strategy discussions/advice too.
  • Your-Mother 27 Apr 2021 15:38:45 7,375 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    New Hellboy KS is live. No mention of rebuying the previous KS goodies yet but they’re supposed to show up in the pledge manager.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manticgames/hellboy-the-board-game-expansions-and-dice-game

Edited by Your-Mother at 15:39:07 27-04-2021
  • StarchildHypocrethes 27 Apr 2021 15:53:40 33,763 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Payday treat time.

Just ordered myself Old School Tactical Vol 3 and its expansion.

Oorah or something similar.
  • Raiftel 27 Apr 2021 16:53:23 268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Your-Mother I was eyeballing that as I REALLY want the Conquerer Worm expansion that seems to have been unique to the original KS. Largely wanted it for the Nazi enemy types, just to add some variety to the original. Played about half a dozen games thus far and my group is already getting pretty bored of only fighting Frogmen. Still love the game to pieces, but those froggies are uninspiring.

Edited by Raiftel at 16:53:39 27-04-2021
  • Your-Mother 27 Apr 2021 17:07:00 7,375 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, it's an absolutely terrific game but the core retail release was woeful, it was practically a demo compared to the full KS.
  • Nemesis 27 Apr 2021 18:45:31 20,051 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    My mate has all the Hellboy KS and is all over this. He’s kindly offered to add in the dice game for me if the pledge manager allows it. Which it’ll do, because money.

I got him some fancy biscuits to say thanks. I’m good like that !
  • ChiefGB 27 Apr 2021 20:36:31 13,658 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    New Hellboy KS is live. No mention of rebuying the previous KS goodies yet but they’re supposed to show up in the pledge manager.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/manticgames/hellboy-the-board-game-expansions-and-dice-game
    According to their faq they have no plans to reprint the original ks so I’m not so sure. Which is a shame but would probably become rather expensive.
  • Raiftel 28 Apr 2021 16:01:23 268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Has anyone played the AGE OF WAR? It's a Reiner Knizia dice chucker game, where you compete to take over castles in medieval Japan. Like all the Knizia games I've played it's wonderfully simple to play, but my god do my friends love it. Like I've used it a few times as an opener, and even brought it to a beer garden recently, expecting a few ten minute games and it's been on the table for hours. I'm not sure what the actual alchemy is, but it just seems to have gotten under the skin of everyone I've played it with.

I managed to introduce ISLAND SIEGE to my friends yesterday, which was nice. It's a little too fussy for a game that is SUPER quick, but after a few plays people were getting into it. I had to watch a couple of explainers on certain elements, especially the combat, as the rulebook is kind of woefully written. But I'd really recommend it as a neat little engine builder that you can finish off in about thirty minutes and set up in thirty seconds.
  • ChuChuRkt 28 Apr 2021 18:04:42 72 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Raiftel Age of War is a nice little game and is a retheme of Risk Express.
  • Your-Mother 29 Apr 2021 00:03:57 7,375 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Finally pulled the plug on Cloudspire. Just the base game for now, but my local store has all the expansions readily in stock if I wanted to dive in deeper. Also impulse bought Red Rising while I was there, so a busy weekend ahead.
  • ChiefGB 29 Apr 2021 13:33:55 13,658 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well now, this looks right up my alley.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/renegadegamestudios/my-fathers-work/description
  • Tonka 3 May 2021 09:03:45 31,798 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yeah, My Fathers Work is getting a lot of attention. Looks really cool.
    But, the fact that there's an app made me lose interest.

I prefer a game that can tell stories through gameplay. Like when I'm playing Pavlov's House and I make some truly horrific decisions that echoes what goes on during war (Sending out troops knowing many will die, but that doesn't matter because I won't get enough supplies to them in time so some of them will die either way).

Or how chance makes it so that the german sniper takes out my sniper, after some heavy artillery fire has blasted the wall he was hiding behind.

None of that is spelled out in reddit-prose (you know the kind "The the thunderous roar of the German steel pipes releasing their heavy gift of death and destruction was still a menacing backdrop, like a derange serial killer in clown costume beating on a drum made from the skin of virgins with a dead baby..." ) but rather consequences of a carefully balanced risk/reward system.

So, I'm glad they made an app for My Fathers Work, made it easy for me to save the $90USD + shipping. Wouldn't mind if someone in my group got it though...
  • Raiftel 4 May 2021 15:41:49 268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Backed a handful of kickstarters and I'm genuinely shocked at how bad the functionality actually is. Seems really odd that companies have to use separate sites or bespoke forms for pledge management/shipping details. Feels like something that surely KS should have built into it.
  • Raiftel 4 May 2021 15:41:50 268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • ChiefGB 4 May 2021 15:50:51 13,658 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That’s an advantage gamefound have, can be all in one solution.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 5 May 2021 12:03:25 33,763 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    In case anyone is interested, the looooooong out of print Memoir 44 Breakthrough expansion has suddenly just appeared in the wild.

Just got my order in and it looks like the battle map packs might be reappearing soon as well.
  • Raiftel 10 May 2021 16:29:19 268 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    With restrictions slowly lifting I've been playing a lot of lighter games recently, meeting friends at the pub/garden. As such I've been mostly dicking around with my more portable games and to be honest I've had a blast. Kind of makes me resent some of the big box games I've got which will probably come off the shelves once or twice a year.

Highlights have been;

HIGH SOCIETY, once people click with the concept this is such a great auction game. It's Knizia so it's super simple, but there's enough to it that I've played a half dozen games in one night and not got bored

SOLAR STORM picked this up months ago when it was super cheap and didn't really pay much attention to it. A lot of the big sites were kind of down on it as being essentially a derivative of Pandemic. And it totally is, BUT being able to take a Pandemic experience to a beer garden, in a box the size of a VHS is such a boon. Had great fun with this

SPICY, I picked this up mainly for the artwork but it's actually one of my favourite bluffing games now. To the point I've kind of abandoned the notion of every bringing COCKROACH POKER out. I think COCKROACH is super fun, but it's SO group dependent that if you're playing with people who don't get it, it's just a dud. SPICY has the same bluffiness, but it's far easier to actually get into the meat of what you're doing,

RAILROAD INK, one of my faves although I'm convinced it's really a solo game masquerading as a group game. So calming and relaxing though.

STARTUPS, like all Oink games this is one that feels more complex than it actually is (the slightly oddball instructions don't help) but now we've ironed out the rules it's a genuine fave with my friends

I've also been playing way too much QUACKS and THE KING IS DEAD with the housemates

Edited by Raiftel at 16:32:07 10-05-2021

Edited by Raiftel at 17:08:37 10-05-2021
  • Your-Mother 10 May 2021 16:56:23 7,375 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Most roll and writes are pretty much solo games. Very few have any kind of player interaction and are just “beat the score”, your own or other players. If you liked Railroad Ink, try Welcome To or Floor Plan, they’re both favorites here.
  • quadfather 10 May 2021 17:24:38 38,673 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had the 3rd game of the original haunted game Saturday night with some friends who'd never played it.

As I'm explaining the (sparse) rules a mate said "well, that's a piece of piss, it'll be over in about 20" minutes.

Cue the inevitable less-is-more mechanics of the game completely fuck him over for 2 hours :D
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.