Boardgames anyone? Page 549

Next Last
  • Gregolution 20 May 2021 09:33:45 11,068 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    Yeah, I like CTG for their production values, but the last few games of theirs I tried I bounced off hard. I finally got to try Cloudspire the other week and it just did nothing for me. Too Many Bones is still great though.
    That's a pity. I still say Cloudspire was probably the worst game to learn of all time for me, so first impression is really tough. But once over the hump it's probably my favourite CTG game.

Me and my sons always have to force ourselves to put it away and play something else cause we get so addicted we just play it for weeks on end.
  • Your-Mother 26 May 2021 16:12:41 7,655 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Witcher Old World up on KS. Looks okay-ish, but not sure the world needs another licensed quasi-dungeon crawl/boss hunt game.
  • ChiefGB 26 May 2021 22:41:13 13,733 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    It doesnít look like a cash in, not sure if thereís all that much there though, and looks like another supersized game. The components do look nice though.

We played the 3rd mission of journeys in middle earth: shadowed paths earlier. That game continues to get better with each campaign. It used a neat little mechanic to force a chase through a collapsing tunnel across multiple battle map tiles. Nice and tense.
  • Your-Mother 27 May 2021 20:33:24 7,655 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    As more or less confirmed by leaks, here comes Thanos for MC

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/5/27/mad-titans-shadow-announcement/
  • ChiefGB 31 May 2021 20:29:18 13,733 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah, thematically the snap scheme makes sense but sounds awfully punitive. I hope theyíve not overdone it again after galaxyís most wanted. That was quite a gruelling experience.
  • Your-Mother 3 Jun 2021 16:04:29 7,655 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    The much rumored Arkham Horror Revised Core has leaked. Looks to be still the same Night of the Zealot campaign but with redone artwork and revised tokens (a 3 clue and 3 resource token!), but as predicted it comes with more complete starter decks and more cards making duplicate cores for full deckbuilding unnecessary. Should be officially announced later this month, alongside the Arkham Horror reskin of Battlestar Galactica they're currently teasing.

Some people seem to think Mansions of Madness 3rd Edition is on the way too, but haven't seen any actual proof anywhere of that.
  • Your-Mother 3 Jun 2021 16:29:51 7,655 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Aaand just as I post that, they announce the next AH cycle, with a revamped distribution. The campaign and investigators are now separate boxes.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2021/6/3/to-edge-of-the-earth/

Also implied that this is a complete cycle in the box and the age of the mythos pack multi-month cycle is done and finished.

EDIT: Not even implied, explicit in the text:

"While we will no longer be releasing monthly Mythos packs going forward, this single expansion contains about the same amount of content as an entire cycle from the old release model. Itís a full campaign all in one package!"

Edited by Your-Mother at 16:30:46 03-06-2021
  • ChiefGB 3 Jun 2021 17:46:44 13,733 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Interesting, had a very brief look at it. Scared of the potential cost upfront though.
  • Slurmseh 3 Jun 2021 18:05:53 2,845 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Have to say I think itís a much better model. Instead of trying to buy individual packs now it will just be one. Also I like that if you donít want to add more player cards you donít have to.

I mean obviously theyíre going to include some whopper player cards in the investigator pack but it will be good for those players who just want to see where the story goes.
  • ChiefGB 3 Jun 2021 18:28:14 13,733 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah it will beat trying to hunt down the pack/s you need inbetween prints, but itís also good that there was flex to buy bit at a time.
  • ChiefGB 3 Jun 2021 20:20:59 13,733 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Depending on cost it still sounds like a move best suited to long time collectors. I can imagine the player cards amassed so far could be pretty hefty.
    Then for people just jumping in now it will feel very costly to buy in all at once.
    I think the investigator packs they released previously would be better to compliment the box sets rather than the investigator boxes they are planning but Iím sure they have crunched their numbers.
  • Bleh 4 Jun 2021 14:24:19 483 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Finally Star Trek Alliance arrived and just before the weekend. Weekend sorted out.
  • ChiefGB 4 Jun 2021 20:49:43 13,733 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Iíve completed my rite of passage finally with the first kallax purchase.

Probably should have listened to the voice saying ďyouíre gonna need a bigger boatĒ though. Filled a 2x4 at first try 🤦🏻‍♂️
  • kentmonkey 5 Jun 2021 11:22:04 24,282 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    You can always add another next to it though if you wanted, when you wanted (and turn it vertically so it would be the same as having a 4x4 - just add a joining plate on the backs so they hold together).
  • ChiefGB 5 Jun 2021 12:38:23 13,733 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Yeah they are certainly nice and versatile.
  • ChiefGB 6 Jun 2021 16:55:35 13,733 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Miskatonic museum cleared on my dunwich playthrough.
    Bit of a plain scenario, but the next one looks cool.
    Iím doing reasonably well so maybe I better jump up to standard and throw a few more crappy chips in there. 🤔
  • Your-Mother 6 Jun 2021 19:35:22 7,655 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Nothing wrong with playing on easy for your first time through a scenario, especially if you want to explore the narrative. Several harder scenarios more or less depend on prior knowledge to know what to deck build and level up, I speak from experience when I say itís extremely frustrating to take what you think are strong characters and decks into a campaign only to have them driven insane or killed midway through because of how the scenario was built.
  • ChiefGB 6 Jun 2021 20:35:35 13,733 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I can see all that could be a thing. There really is a lot of setup time too, and from a starter point of view the building can be a little bit of a crapshoot. Itís good that as it develops you start to see what you need, but I still only tend to see half my deck so it feels a bit swingy at times.

Anyway, Iíve a train to catch 🤣
  • Bleh 7 Jun 2021 07:40:47 483 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    First impressions of Star Trek Alliance and it's really great. Models are nice, art on the cards as well. Great rulebook, had some mediocre rulebooks lately so nice to have a rulebook which actually answers things instead of having to go to the internet.

But the thing which impressed me the most is the AI. It's really good. I never felt it made a bad move and that for a skirmish game where you have to roll a die to do it's action. Sometimes I was like I might have done something different but it's action was still good.
  • Bleh 10 Jun 2021 16:07:35 483 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Back in the days when I started with the hobby I was looking at what games where around and I came across Tales of the Arabian Nights. Eventually I never bought it, maybe it wasn't available anywhere. I'm not sure anymore. Now that Z-man announced one final print run I decided to go for it and bought myself a copy.
  • Your-Mother 10 Jun 2021 16:13:15 7,655 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    All my wave one Nememesisisisisis stuff arrived yesterday. I already had the original base game but now have a complete collection, at least until Lockdown arrives later in the year.
  • Next Last
Sign in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.