Following Boardgames anyone? Page 278

• Rhaegyr 5 Mar 2018 16:13:25 4,442 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Finally bagged Fury of Dracula off a friend for £40 after bugging him to sell it me for the last 12 months (he never plays it)!
  • Tonka 5 Mar 2018 18:04:41 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Is that the hidden movement game that has a gazillion different editions?

Edited by Tonka at 18:04:53 05-03-2018
  • phAge 5 Mar 2018 18:16:53 25,487 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yes. 3rd is supposed to be best, though.
  • Nemesis 5 Mar 2018 19:17:41 19,398 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Picked up a few of the LOTR Saga boxes today; boy that took a while to get a re-print!

Also managed to not buy anything in the FLGS today. Feast For Odin/Arle/Viticulture all were calling. All of them. I’m surprised I got out in one piece.
  • Rhaegyr 5 Mar 2018 19:36:52 4,442 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's quite a few editions of FoD and I think they're making a 4th edition soon. Good to know that the 3rd edition is best - never knew tbh. Played it once and absolutely loved it; pestered him ever since.
  • Nemesis 5 Mar 2018 20:16:17 19,398 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    They do seem to want silly money for FoD on the resale market. Which isn’t surprising really. They wanted £200 for LotR’s Black Riders. Which I picked up for £23. Cheeky fuckers.

Gosh. Fields of Arle still calls. As does Feast. As does Viticulture. Something for that solo mode experience.

/scratches
  • rice_sandwich 5 Mar 2018 20:22:43 4,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Feast and Arle are both really good. I slightly prefer Arle for thematic reasons.
  • Nemesis 5 Mar 2018 20:43:59 19,398 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Let’s be honest, I’d probably take them all.

They can sit on the shelf and I can admire my collection.

Once in a while I’ll take one of the boxes down; dust off the cover, open up the game and admire all the Animeeples I’ve organised. Setup the boards. Sort the cards. Put it all away again.
  • rice_sandwich 5 Mar 2018 20:47:51 4,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    :D I do that from time to time.
  • alt-cmd-esc 5 Mar 2018 20:58:09 259 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Had a good day of gaming on Sunday, revisiting games rather than tackling the backlog, but I plan to work on that...

3 of us played Terraforming Mars in the morning, and I continue to really enjoy it. I won this time, despite being fairly certain the Eco player, who was laying down swathes of forests, had run away with it early on. After lunch we played Clans of Caledonia - I came second, with a first-time player storming ahead early and going on to win. He is now desperate to buy a copy :D

Have another 3 player meet next week, when we'll be playing Churchill, and then a 6 player session at the end of the month - we're trying to decide on what to play, with the current options being Republic of Rome (the organiser's favourite game), Dune (my favourite), or Game of Thrones (none of us have played it). Maybe I should take Rising Sun as an option? I ought to actually play it at some point! Perhaps we should sort out some sort of EG weekender?
  • Mola_Ram 5 Mar 2018 23:24:27 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @Mola_Ram

I guess more specifically I mean how tight the design of the cards are rather than balance issues. It feels to me like TM has all sorts of ideas and cards and some them combo well but it's all very loosely put together.

I don't think the board is that well implemented either. It's more of a cool idea bringing together the science of terraforming mars into a game.

I don't feel like you could get really good at TM and dominate a play group.

Compare it to euros like Terra Mystica and Great Western Trail. I don't think their themes are very well done but the game mechanics are extremely well thought out and play tested. The opposite of Mars imo.

Or maybe I just don't get it! I wish I did. Was a nice Xmas gift from the wife.
    I haven't played those other ones, so can't really compare at the moment.

I agree generally that the game puts a high premium on realism within its setting, and that it needs to be careful to keep it balanced and fun (because real life isn't very balanced).

But my playthroughs (3-4 players, draft rule and Corporation Era in effect) have been heaps of fun, so I guess the balance feels alright for me. Though I will probably get one of the expansions, just for the variety of playing with a different board.
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2018 06:54:12 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Race for the Galaxy has highlighted my problem with Gloomhaven.

Gloomhaven has super tight and engaging card play at its core. Then they dunked that in a smörgåsbord of cardboard chits that needs to be removed and replaced and flipped and looked up in tables and yadda yadda yadda.

Contrast that with Race for the Galaxy. The way a card *ANY* card is used face down to represent *ANY* good. BLAM! That's how you do it.

Yeah yeah, unfair comparison. But if you're sitting at the top of Over all best game, Thematic, Hotness, AND Strategy you better be able to take it.

Or maybe it's just not meant as a four player game.
  • phAge 6 Mar 2018 08:32:48 25,487 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

Gloomhaven has super tight and engaging card play at its core. Then they dunked that in a smörgåsbord of cardboard chits that needs to be removed and replaced and flipped and looked up in tables and yadda yadda yadda.

Contrast that with Race for the Galaxy. The way a card *ANY* card is used face down to represent *ANY* good. BLAM! That's how you do it.

Yeah yeah, unfair comparison. But if you're sitting at the top of Over all best game, Thematic, Hotness, AND Strategy you better be able to take it.

Never tried RftG or Gloomhaven, but lately I've found myself drifting away from the extremely upkeep-heavy games. Much as I love cardboard and heavily thematic games, it's just too much bother and gets (in my eyes) in the way of actually playing the game, as opposed to keeping check of tons of different stats and systems.

One of the reasons I adore Xia: Legends of a Drift System - it is a massive. massive sandbox, but once you get the hang of it there really isn't much bookkeeping to do.

Edited by phAge at 08:34:00 06-03-2018
  • rice_sandwich 6 Mar 2018 08:38:43 4,524 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Anyone played Agra? I like the look of it. The board looks huge and I'm not sure if it's just too much in terms of sprawl and upkeep as per the above posts. The rulebook is 25 pages long so it's likely fairly complex.
  • Tonka 6 Mar 2018 08:48:41 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I keep looking at Food Chain Magnate... Looks like there's a ton of branching decisions and endless possibilities with hardly any fiddling about.

Has anyone on here actually played it?

If it wasn't such an eyesore I'd probably caved already.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 6 Mar 2018 09:26:55 31,620 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The couple of people I know who have played it suggest there's a good game in there but it is faaaaaaar too long for what it is.
  • danathjo 6 Mar 2018 10:00:18 8,107 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Just back my very first kickstarter with Martin Wallace's new game Auztralia, almost already backed after less than a day. Love the setting and certainly seems quite different to any other game i've played, fingers crossed it turns out okay!
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2018 11:52:21 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:

Dude.. how can you compare a 15 minute strategy game to Gloomhaven. Come on lol

I can see the upkeep in Gloomhaven annoys you, that's fine but it's not a fault of the game. It's complicated, it's not trying to streamline dungeon crawlers it's doing the opposite.

Gloomhaven is amazing. Simples.

With an insert the upkeep really isn't that bad either. Cant imagine how bad it would be without one ....
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2018 11:54:47 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    Just back my very first kickstarter with Martin Wallace's new game Auztralia, almost already backed after less than a day. Love the setting and certainly seems quite different to any other game i've played, fingers crossed it turns out okay!
    Am very tempted myself
  • phAge 6 Mar 2018 12:11:14 25,487 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Almost spent 250 quid on a load of old HeroScape yesterday.
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2018 14:26:09 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    alt-cmd-esc wrote:
    ! Perhaps we should sort out some sort of EG weekender?
    I would do this
  • 1Dgaf 6 Mar 2018 15:40:58 5,043 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    They do seem to want silly money for FoD on the resale market.

/scratches
    I believe Specter Ops is like FoD, but faster.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/155624/specter-ops
  • Flexible_Feline 6 Mar 2018 15:51:47 48 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    We didn’t get on that well with FoD. A shame as I liked it. There were too many who just got bored by the chase. Specter Ops was more of a hit for the reason mentioned - much pacier. Trade off on theme though - no rich, mysterious train hopping across Europe, more a light and generic hunter-hunted sci-fi thing.
  • Rhaegyr 6 Mar 2018 15:53:23 4,442 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I have to say the theme for FoD is excellent and I think one of the reasons I enjoyed it so much. Gameplay is top notch too, though!
  • Rhaegyr 6 Mar 2018 16:03:33 4,442 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think most of the forum is Brighton based.

Except me :(
  • niedlugo 6 Mar 2018 16:53:14 2 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    My love for RPGs and MMOs like PoE has just come up that I love boardgames, at this moment I'm one of best PoE Players, this is one of few reasons why I've got such a lot of PoE currency in my inventory :D
    Sometimes, mayba one exalted, maybe two exalted orbs, but this orbs it's not the most value thing for me. I preffer gold items with many faces, cause I use this items to create something more powerful and buy for this a lot, really a lot of poe currency. So, pls, if you now some best poe shop for buy poe currency, just let me know and I'll buy poe currency https://odealo.com/games/path-of-exile

Edited by niedlugo at 09:54:55 09-04-2018
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2018 18:49:49 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I think most of the forum is Brighton based.

Except me :(
    London here.
  • Gregolution 6 Mar 2018 18:51:39 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @geeza2020

I was like that a couple of years ago and then started playing Netrunner and had to go out to meetups etc. Was nice actually. Now I'm used to meeting random people for a game somewhere. Played in a blood bowl league this year and have been to London on board.

It's surprisingly easy after the first couple of times. Just throw yourself into it mate.
  • BearFishPie 6 Mar 2018 19:46:29 543 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Chester here, near nobody as far as I know.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.