Following Boardgames anyone? Page 280

• rice_sandwich 8 Mar 2018 12:12:59 4,780 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Tonka

I think we can at least agree that it's a great game. It's a bit of brain burning monster but a lovely design.
  • Tonka 8 Mar 2018 12:53:10 28,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich I absolutely love it. I love every second of setting it up and putting it back. It does completely crush my brain and I love it.

I keep thinking I should do a poster sized flowchart of how all the actions work and interconnect.
  • Gregolution 8 Mar 2018 15:45:40 9,031 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    Bloody video games! Turned on the ps4 for the first time in ages as the misses is out for the night and what? A 45 minute update? No thanks!

Board games would never do that to me.
    You sure you don't mean PS3? ;)

Updates are all very fast for me, and mostly downloaded in standby. My issue is I find board games more interesting at the moment so rarely turn it on.

Only digital game Ive played recently is Divinity 2 , love that but it's not played very often
  • BearFishPie 8 Mar 2018 22:30:15 558 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tonka after reading your thoughts I’ve picked up The Lost Expedition. We’ve played the ‘easy’ scenario in 2p co-op twice. First time the jungle kicked our arses, second time we made it to Z by sacrificing our navigation expert, with basically bugger all supplies left. I have no doubt that approach would have failed a full length game.

Loving the chunky cards and Tintin-esque artwork too.
  • Tonka 9 Mar 2018 06:32:16 28,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @BearFishPie I'm constantly getting crushed by the game. Found it a bit easier in co-op as opposed to solo but it's still a question of limping in with one explorer and a gnawed of chicken drumstick.

Next time I solo it I'll let my explorers start with full health (it's supposed to be 3/4 health for solo) to see if that helps. Co-op was more fun though.

Apparently there's an expansion coming out for it that is supposed to change the gameplay in some way. I might pick it up if only for the stellar artwork.
  • Tonka 9 Mar 2018 11:37:45 28,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    WOW!

An entre site dedicated to cycling games

http://www.cyclingboardgames.net/
  • Rhaegyr 9 Mar 2018 12:06:48 4,535 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Our 7th player for Secret Hitler has dropped out :(

Does it still play well enough with 6?
  • Tonka 9 Mar 2018 12:16:39 28,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dropping out the day before? That guy is worse than Hitler.

Personally I'll be playing a game of Great Western Trail this evening.
  • BearFishPie 9 Mar 2018 13:27:08 558 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Secret Hitler Q: how easy are the rules likely to be to learn for a bunch of circa 8 year olds? We’re wondering whether to run a game of the possibly-more-socially-acceptable reskinned version ‘Secret Voldemort’ at a kids party.
  • Tonka 9 Mar 2018 13:48:34 28,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Secret Voldemort is a game screaming to be made
  • BearFishPie 9 Mar 2018 14:01:38 558 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Link below:

https://thecraftyplayers.com/2017/02/22/secret-voldemort/

There looks to have been a reasonable amount of effort put into the reskin.
  • phAge 9 Mar 2018 14:42:20 25,488 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Our 7th player for Secret Hitler has dropped out :(

Does it still play well enough with 6?
    TBH I think I'd wait 'till you're 7 players for the best (and often crucial) first experience. With 6 it's 4 liberals vs 2 fascists, which isn't nearly as fun or balanced as 4 vs 3.
  • phAge 9 Mar 2018 14:45:12 25,488 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    BearFishPie wrote:
    Link below:

https://thecraftyplayers.com/2017/02/22/secret-voldemort/

There looks to have been a reasonable amount of effort put into the reskin.
    Depends on the 8 years-olds, I'd say. With the vanilla rules I'm not sure most kids would be able to bluff well enough to make the game work, but if they're experienced with bluffing games, it's not terribly hard.

Personally I'd rather reskin something like Good Cop Bad Cop (Good Wizard bad Wizard?) as it plays faster and is a lot more forgiving if someone makes a mistake.
  • BearFishPie 9 Mar 2018 15:16:41 558 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @phAge I’ll have a look at that, thanks!
  • Rhaegyr 9 Mar 2018 15:38:01 4,535 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @phAge

It's a game we've really been looking forward to playing - is it really that bad with 6? It's not like we're spoilt for choice when it comes to six player games, sadly :(
  • phAge 9 Mar 2018 15:57:27 25,488 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @phAge

It's a game we've really been looking forward to playing - is it really that bad with 6? It's not like we're spoilt for choice when it comes to six player games, sadly :(
    It's not bad by any means - just even better with 7 (or more). If you can hold off judgment till you've had a go with 7+, then by all means give it a shot with 6. :)
  • Gregolution 9 Mar 2018 18:42:16 9,031 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    City of Kings shipped email. HOORAY
  • Tonka 10 Mar 2018 10:24:42 28,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Had another five hour game of Great Western Trail lady night. I did horribly. Ended up dead last with a paltry score of 49...

It's a great game though and I let it get the better of me. The problem is that there's always something interesting to do on every turn so I constantly failed to stick to a strategy.

To make matters worse I decided to switch strategy mid game to devastating effects.

My one criticism would be that in the end it's a game about scoring points, not about herding cows, laying tracks or building houses.

Right now I'm more keen on simpler, thematic games with loads of player interaction. I really enjoyed the emergent game play in Rising Sun or Flamme Rouge.

Western Legends can't come soon enough. Maybe I should back Auztralia.
  • danathjo 10 Mar 2018 10:47:55 8,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Dooooo it!
    Auztralia looks ace, although there doesn’t seem like there’s much insentive of backing it now for bonuses over waiting for retail apart from ‘thank you for helping us make the game’.
    Slightly disappointing but still looks brilliant!

Soft spot for location, Martin Wallace and being my first Kickstarter 😊

Edited by danathjo at 10:49:54 10-03-2018
  • danathjo 10 Mar 2018 10:48:49 8,116 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Also thank you for talking me out of getting GWT, 5 hours? Blimmin heck!
  • Tonka 10 Mar 2018 12:56:22 28,119 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My group is super store though. I can see it be done in three hours.
  • Gregolution 10 Mar 2018 14:14:03 9,031 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    GWT is fairly quick for a deep euro. 3 hours tops. 2 hours with 2.

Fantastic game imo. So rewarding trying to dig for your perfect hand of cows before reaching the station.
  • Gregolution 11 Mar 2018 10:30:48 9,031 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Two more scenarios of Gloomhaven yesterday, almost level 3 and first box ticked on my personal quest. Love it.
  • phAge 12 Mar 2018 12:24:50 25,488 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Expansion for Dinosaur Island up on KS:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pandasaurus/dinosaur-island-back-from-extinction

Really enjoying the base game, so this is an insta-back for me.
  • Gregolution 12 Mar 2018 13:14:19 9,031 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Is DI any good? I was worried about the conversation on here about balance a few days ago.

It looks pretty, but is it actually a well balanced euro?
  • Rhaegyr 12 Mar 2018 13:27:35 4,535 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    So - Secret Hitler is fucking brilliant. Would've played it all night if 90% of the group had their way and one guy didn't get a sulk on.

I see what you mean about balance with 6 though - it's slightly in favour of the Liberal players (and they just about won every time).

First game was hilarious as when the Fascist and Hitler were meant to open their eyes, only Hitler did (but neglected to mention this before we started playing). This led to a comical moment later where Hitler assassinated his only ally :)
  • phAge 12 Mar 2018 13:32:42 25,488 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Is DI any good? I was worried about the conversation on here about balance a few days ago.

It looks pretty, but is it actually a well balanced euro?
    Me and the missus are having a great time. Granted, none of us are powergamers, but so far it seems very balanced. Going last seems like a powerful strategy, but TBH I'm not sure it's such a massive advantage after all, and if so it can easily be houseruled.

The game is absolutely solid from a mechanics standpoint and the theme is just great - and it is very easy to learn and get into.
  • phAge 12 Mar 2018 13:36:34 25,488 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    So - Secret Hitler is fucking brilliant. Would've played it all night if 90% of the group had their way and one guy didn't get a sulk on.

I see what you mean about balance with 6 though - it's slightly in favour of the Liberal players (and they just about won every time).

First game was hilarious as when the Fascist and Hitler were meant to open their eyes, only Hitler did (but neglected to mention this before we started playing). This led to a comical moment later where Hitler assassinated his only ally :)
    Excellent! We played four games in a row on our first try - I ended up (and won) as Hitler twice, which made things all the sweeter, as people (for some reason) assumed that there was no reason I'd be Der Führer two times in a row...

Can't wait to play again. :)
  • Gregolution 12 Mar 2018 15:38:41 9,031 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    to buy dark souls the board game or not... that is the question.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.