Following Boardgames anyone? Page 281

• BearFishPie 12 Mar 2018 16:38:54 543 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gregolution Probably best to look at some of the reviews on BGG first. From recollection itís not been received brilliantly, and due to its design runs a bit on the long side. Iíve not played my copy yet (in part until the bgg community have come up with a solid faster playing variant) so canít speak with any real authority. That said, the minis are lovely and I like the Gloomhavenish principle of the enemy AI deck.
  • JoeBlade 12 Mar 2018 20:28:30 4,191 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution I've not played it but seen a couple of let's play style "reviews" of the Dark Souls board game on YouTube and they were all very mixed.

Usual positives: the quality and diversity of the board and the pieces is pretty excellent it seems, and it's faithful to the source material.

Most common critique: it's murderously hard - keeping in line with the DS video games - but not necessarily in a fun way. It's apparently very random/dice based and if luck is against you you simply don't stand a chance, no matter how well you know the game or how well you're playing.

That's what I took away from it. And again, none of it is first hand experience so take it with a grain of salt.

Edited by JoeBlade at 20:29:17 12-03-2018
  • LittleSparra 13 Mar 2018 00:04:46 7,926 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I just finished a game of Dark Souls and... yeah, the above. We won, but it didn't feel great. Strategy yup, but a lot of dice rolls and repetition. Dark Souls the game gets away with the repetition and the difficulty because it's not about dice rolls, and there is a lot of atmosphere. This doesn't have atmosphere. Not a fan. Not bad, but not great - although the models are nice.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Mar 2018 00:30:03 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Is DI any good? I was worried about the conversation on here about balance a few days ago.

It looks pretty, but is it actually a well balanced euro?
    I was the one who brought up the balance thing (though I wasn't intentionally trying to powergame, just role-play), and yeah I think there are some slight issues.

But I wouldn't let that put you off from getting it. Despite my own personal preferences - I like games with a little more player interaction, rather than ones where you're each building your own separate things - It's a great experience.
  • Tonka 13 Mar 2018 06:26:44 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I listened to SU&SD podcast yesterday and they had the same issue as I with Rising Sun. ie that it's a game about playing the game (going for victory points) rather than battling for a western take on mythological Japan.

So it wasn't just me being a sore runner up
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2018 16:36:05 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Isn't that describing every euro ever made?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Mar 2018 16:42:03 31,620 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think that's the issue. Here you've got this stunning looking map of japan, with all these massive miniatures, plus all the other added guff. Yet all you're doing is trying to game the system to get as many points as possible, rather than creating interesting situations and stories with everything that's on offer.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Mar 2018 16:44:14 31,620 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Having almost plonked £200 on a kickstarter bundle of it, I'm glad I looked into it a bit more before doing so, as it does seem far less interesting than it looks.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Mar 2018 16:44:55 31,620 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I now really want to track down a copy of City of Kings instead.
  • Rhaegyr 13 Mar 2018 16:49:57 4,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've learned over the last few years I'm much more interested in the thematically heavy/interesting situations side of board games (such as Dead of Winter, War of the Ring, Eldritch Horror etc) than the games more focused on the numbers, no matter how mathematically sound they are like Caverna, GWT and the like (though I do enjoy these games).

Edited by Rhaegyr at 16:52:05 13-03-2018
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2018 17:38:21 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Waiting for mine to arrive :)
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2018 17:47:01 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    I've learned over the last few years I'm much more interested in the thematically heavy/interesting situations side of board games (such as Dead of Winter, War of the Ring, Eldritch Horror etc) than the games more focused on the numbers, no matter how mathematically sound they are like Caverna, GWT and the like (though I do enjoy these games).
    I can't really decide which I prefer. If it's about points and it's really good like Terra mystica or Gwt then I'm all over it. If it's thematically amazing and plays really well then I'm happy too.

Don't think I have a preference, as long as I'm making interesting decisions is probably the main thing
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Mar 2018 18:15:58 31,620 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Waiting for mine to arrive :)
    Jealous.

Only clocked this recently and it looks excellent. Hoping Chaos Cards or someone gets some stock in.
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2018 18:23:03 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rhaegyr

You've mentioned eldritch horror a few times for solo play especially. Can't remember if you said core is enough to start with or if there are must have expansions?
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2018 18:25:25 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

I'll let you know how it is but it's my most anticipated game of the year for certain.

I met Frank at UKGE last year and he sold it to me in less than 5 minutes.

Deluxe edition :).

Fairly sure more stock will arrive as they finish the ks orders.

Edited by Gregolution at 18:26:10 13-03-2018
  • StarchildHypocrethes 13 Mar 2018 18:26:40 31,620 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The only must have is Forsaken Lore. That's just to add some more variety really. The core box still has plenty in it for a few plays.
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2018 18:51:30 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Cheers. I'll look that one up.

I do love arkham horror the card game, so reckon I'll probably love this too. Some overlap in mechanics but I think it's different enough to warrant owning both
  • Rhaegyr 13 Mar 2018 21:19:35 4,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    As I've said before it's probably my favourite board game - never seem to get tired of it.

Starchild is right too - the Forsaken Lore expansion is nigh-on essential. It' basically adds a ton more variety to the cards that are already there and avoids repetition of text and items.
  • Gregolution 13 Mar 2018 21:52:02 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Rhaegyr

Cheers

Have you played the LCG as well? If so how do they compare?
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 06:31:25 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Isn't that describing every euro ever made?
    [ wrt Rising Sun]
    Good point. I went into Rising Sun expecting something else though. Might be because of the big ass "minis" or the general "war in fantasy Japan" theme. That, plus all the pact making and above the board scheming that takes place turns it into something oter than GWT or Lords of Waterdeep.

I thought the minis (megas really) and scheming and pacting and waring was excellent. I just didn't get on with how it was VP's that won the game. Would be interesting to house rule it so that the person with the most victories is the winner.

Or maybe I should stop with my roleplaying in games. Or admit that I'm an Amerithrasher at heart.

Listen to their podcast, it's good as usual. Sadly Paul wasn't in it.

Edit: or what Starchildhypocrites said

Edited by Tonka at 06:32:24 14-03-2018
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 06:36:37 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    This post just made me order a long overdue copy of Dead of Winter. It's been on my list for over a year.
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 06:45:18 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Don't think I have a preference, as long as I'm making interesting decisions is probably the main thing
    Yep. I also like to get my brain smashed by a crunchy point salad.But as you say, the decisions have to be interesting and exciting. Rising Sun had plenty of that. They also had the ridiculous
    "Buy card that give you extra points for killing your troops > Kill your troops > Write a poem about it to get MORE points for killing your troops" combo.

It will allow people to net more points in a single battle than they get from winning 7 of them. It feels broken tbh.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Mar 2018 07:22:20 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Well, if you have competent opponents, they will see that you have that card and do their best to outbid you on suicide and/or poem writing.

It's like with the Koi clan, where they have that awesome ability to use coins as ronin. But your opponents should know this, and prevent you from using the "hire ronin" action in the first place.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 07:30:07 14-03-2018
  • Gregolution 14 Mar 2018 07:24:16 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    This post just made me order a long overdue copy of Dead of Winter. It's been on my list for over a year.
    Great game!
  • Gregolution 14 Mar 2018 07:26:22 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    Yep. I also like to get my brain smashed by a crunchy point salad.But as you say, the decisions have to be interesting and exciting. Rising Sun had plenty of that. They also had the ridiculous
    "Buy card that give you extra points for killing your troops > Kill your troops > Write a poem about it to get MORE points for killing your troops" combo.

It will allow people to net more points in a single battle than they get from winning 7 of them. It feels broken tbh.
    Interesting. I wonder if its more or less balanced than Blood Rage? I find Blood Rage an amazing game... you can win that by losing more battles than anyone else so would probably drive you nuts lol.

Once you know the combos that can be made, it's about breaking the combos through good card drafting or area control movement. Really clever IMO, but yes very gamey I suppose.

What's far more interesting is that my copy of City of Kings is apparently in a London Royal Mail depot now!
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 07:49:58 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    Once you know the combos that can be made, it's about breaking the combos through good card drafting or area control movement. Really clever IMO, but yes very gamey I suppose.

What's far more interesting is that my copy of City of Kings is apparently in a London Royal Mail depot now!
    I definitely need to play Rising Sun more before I pass final judgement. It has tons of greatness in it and it might very well be a question of "How do I make sure the player with the 'Kil UR troopz 4 MASSIVE COMBO' card doesn't do just that.

I really enjoyed the general idea around combat and typing this I can see that a semi counter would be to outbid for the final phase "Write a poem and get points for troops killed" thus leeching off some of the benefits. Well, a third of the benefits.

There's probably a "Get bonus for your poetry" card as well.

Also, I'm a fan of Royal Mail since their swift and secure delivery of two games to my house... or rather.. to my nearest grocery store. (Again, that's how we roll in Sweden).

Quick, cheap and well packaged.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Mar 2018 08:11:32 31,620 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 08:11:55 14-03-2018
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Mar 2018 08:11:39 31,620 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The thing that really turned me off Rising Sun was how uninteresting the diplomacy actually appears to be, considering how hyped it was in the run up.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.