Following Boardgames anyone? Page 282

• Mola_Ram 14 Mar 2018 08:14:34 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you've got this person engaged in multiple battles, and they're constantly getting to use the suicide/write poem thing for loads of points, then you're doing something wrong. Think less about what you want to win bids for, and more about what you want your opponent to lose bids for. If you have an ally to coordinate with it's even easier, because your opponent will have to concentrate his resources to have any hope of getting benefits from his cards.
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 08:15:50 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's the "on the board" stuff that is pretty cute. But the good stuff is the "above the board" haggling etc backstabbing etc.

Although to be fair, since all alliances are broken by default there's not that much backstabbing. I think that once you get good at the game you can plan things in more detail. Draw troops away from an area only to swoop down later on.

I found that the best thing is to make a pact with the person to your left or right. That means you can chain two orders in tandem and become a bit more efficient. Alas, it means that your opponents are in the same situation.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Mar 2018 08:29:41 17,953 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I betrayed someone twice in my most recent game. The betray action is actually really powerful if you use it at the right time.
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 08:56:20 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    We're such a friendly bunch that we used the betray action twice but always in a friendly way. Can't remember why but last time I told my ally to use it against me and we both benefitted from it.
  • Rhaegyr 14 Mar 2018 09:01:40 4,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Anyone have any experience of Twilight Imperium, particularly the 4th Edition?

I'm trying to convince a bunch of mates to chuck in £20 each so we can put together and play it. I know it's complex and takes an age to play but I think I can cajole them. They've played Game of Thrones and War of the Ring before too and quite enjoyed those.
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 09:11:56 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They played it at my office but I opted out. The ones who played did enjoy it though... up until the end where there was a massive King Making incident that soured the office for weeks afterwards.

Looked really kick ass all set up.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Mar 2018 09:56:44 31,620 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    3rd edition is one of my favourite games, and the 4th is supposedly a big QOL and time investment improvement, so I say go for it.
  • Rhaegyr 14 Mar 2018 10:05:10 4,442 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    How long are you talking for a game with 6 players and everyone's new to the game; I've seen 8 hours bandied about :confused:
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Mar 2018 11:15:04 31,620 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    3rd edition was pretty much an all day affair with a 6 people. I've heard that the 4th edition cuts this down a fair bit, but you're still probably looking at a good 6 hours or so.

Edited by StarchildHypocrethes at 11:15:27 14-03-2018
  • Gregolution 14 Mar 2018 12:34:33 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Why is the package still in Hounslow damn it!?
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 12:39:31 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hounslow upon Damn, surely...
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 16:45:11 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Golden geek awards are out. No big surprises.
  • Gregolution 14 Mar 2018 17:47:30 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Just got an email for all the dark souls expansions pre order..... my temptation grows.
  • Tonka 14 Mar 2018 18:06:05 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Really? Have you seen any reviews of it? Sounds like a randomized version of KD:M except dull.
  • Gregolution 14 Mar 2018 18:58:46 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Really? Have you seen any reviews of it? Sounds like a randomized version of KD:M except dull.
    KDM is really random, more so. You don't roll for success or failure in Darksouls whereas you do in KDM. Dark souls is more like rolling of modifiers, KDM is 1 roll to see if you hit and another to see if you damage - like a Games Workshop game.
  • Gregolution 14 Mar 2018 19:34:46 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Not to mention rolling badly while just leaving the settlement and instantly dying lol. I'd say KDM is the most randomised game I've ever played. It's endless tables to roll on at every turn.

Not a fan, sold my copy.
  • Tonka 15 Mar 2018 08:48:40 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I have to praise the Race for the Galaxy app a bit more. Brilliant game! Really quick too. Really enjoy how it forces long term strategy and short term tactics in tandem. It's tempting to hold on to a bunch of big cards but that might mean you're not getting shit done.

Bloody AI snubbed me of the victory by filling up his stinking board in the last game. Had I got one more go I would have cashed in big from all my resources.

So. damn. good.

Would have been worth full price.
  • drhickman1983 15 Mar 2018 09:42:33 5,353 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    A couple of my friends who I play games with made a website where they review games they've played, designed to be less intimidating than boardgamegeek, more a resource aimed at newer gamers perhaps. Have a look if you are interested

http://gamesnightguru.com
  • McGeeza 15 Mar 2018 10:31:31 1,890 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    That's a really nicely done site. Tell them well done.

I went through adding my ratings expecting there not to be that many, but had to stop after a while, as i need to do some work. :)
  • Tonka 15 Mar 2018 11:41:14 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yep, nice site and a surprising amount of games. I subscribed to the blog but noticed it hasn't had any updates in a while. I follow a handful in Feedly and it's nice to find new ones.
  • Gregolution 15 Mar 2018 14:41:27 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Sweet. Had a good lunch playing games at work with a couple of new people I'd not met before.

Played race for the galaxy and then fugitive. Fugitive is a very cool little filler, will look out for that to buy.

Also... City of Kings is waiting for me at home!
  • Gregolution 16 Mar 2018 09:04:02 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ok well I absolutely loved my first play of City of Kings. It feels very unique, I love the theme, the art and components are excellent and most importantly for me : the randomised elements are in the right place :- in the generation of the puzzle you're trying to solve not in the success or failure of your choices.

Ideal for solo play too as there's no hidden information and it's very easy to control two characters. Actually stayed up late last night playing on my own - something I've never done with board games before.
  • Tonka 16 Mar 2018 13:42:33 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Join us in EG's secret
    Table for One Club

There is no such Club. How could it be?
    First Rule of Table for One Club
    There's only room for one
  • Nemesis 17 Mar 2018 19:27:02 19,398 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I finally folded today and purchased Fields of Arle and A Feast for Odin and Iím pretty chuffed with my haul.

Mrs Nem and I were at the FLGS and I had my eye on 4 or 5 things and couldnít make a decision. So we went to every game and I had to pick it up and say how I felt when I had it. Apparently itís the Marie Kondo Spark Joy method of buying games.

Iím not sure it worked. Iím poor again. Yet happy and joyful. So maybe it did.

For those interested in my reactions they were....

Mage Knight. Nothing. Well, nothing yet. Thatís a nice picture of the man on the front.

Viticulture. Interested. Not for now, maybe for later. Itís my birthday soon. Summer game.

Fields of Arle. Hmmmmmm. I like it. It has a nice Church and I get to travel with blocks of peat on a cart. Stickers on cows.

A Feast For Odin. VIKINGS. MOTHER FLIPPING VIKINGS. BOATS.

So that was the winner. So I paid at the counter, for Feast then said ďWAIT!í and grabbed Arle too because I wanted cows with stickers.
  • Gregolution 17 Mar 2018 21:09:06 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've played City of Kings 4 times today. never come close to doing that with another game.

I will say it's not perfect though. I think the quest system is a bit pants - far too random. I was hoping for more there. however... the basic gameplay is just plain fun. It's a different puzzle every time, working out how you're going to beat it is engaging - it's excellent. I'm already looking forward to another game tomorrow morning.
  • BearFishPie 17 Mar 2018 21:40:51 543 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I managed to completely screw myself up in Sagrada today, to the point where I could only place a very limited range of rolls, which then proceeded either not to happen or to get nicked by the other players. You really do dig your own grave in this one!
  • Nemesis 18 Mar 2018 08:02:10 19,398 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hopefully Agricola Family Edition gets to the table today. We are going to do a roast dinner then sit at the table and give this a whirl.

I see it as a nice Sunday gateway game...box says 45 mins and it looks lovely. Will report back! My hope is from this itís then into something like Caverna and onto Feasts. In the meantime Iíve got Feasts and Arle for solo.
  • Nemesis 18 Mar 2018 08:04:14 19,398 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Although, that said, Vassell said just enjoy it for what it is and donít go comparing it to the rest of the Uwe stuff. Iím a huge fan of the lighter games such as Tsuro, Machi Koro, even basic MTG. Cards and/or meeples to the table and off you go. Really looking forward to Agricola Family.
  • Gregolution 18 Mar 2018 08:18:26 8,991 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Straight back into City of Kings this morning.

Pity about the acronym.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.