Following Boardgames anyone? Page 293

• Tonka 2 May 2018 06:50:09 28,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Speaking of China and weighty games.

The Forbidden City is up on Kickstarter and seems to be aiming to dethrone Zhanguo as most complex game set in imperial China

Kickstarter page
  • rice_sandwich 2 May 2018 07:04:45 4,776 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @Tonka

Zhangou has a totally pasted on theme. One of the least thematic games I've ever played.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 07:04:59 02-05-2018
  • Rusty_M 2 May 2018 07:20:55 6,863 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looks like Xwing has a second edition coming out. The conversion kits better cost only peanuts
  • Tonka 2 May 2018 07:21:42 28,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @rice_sandwich The Forbidden City seems similar from my cursory first glance.

They've taken the idea of giving fancy gifts to curry favours from officials and turned it into a cube pusher. Nothing wrong with that though. The board is pretty as hell.

But that particular genre is well and truly filled in my collection so I'm going to give this one a pass.
  • DevilsKebab 2 May 2018 11:40:44 729 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Not sure if you guys are aware of this group on Facebook, but it's very useful for unloading games, or finding some gems in your wishlist

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKboardgametrade/
  • millerlfc 2 May 2018 13:30:03 573 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Rusty_M wrote:
    Looks like Xwing has a second edition coming out. The conversion kits better cost only peanuts
    $50 for each conversion kit (one per faction).
    I've been contemplating buying the starter set for ages, glad I didn't bother now.
  • disusedgenius 2 May 2018 13:36:23 9,296 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah, I've spent pretty much the entire day looking at X-Wing 2nd Edition stuff. I am quite ridiculously hyped - pretty much every change they're making has been desperately needed.
  • Gregolution 3 May 2018 22:04:21 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DevilsKebab wrote:
    Not sure if you guys are aware of this group on Facebook, but it's very useful for unloading games, or finding some gems in your wishlist

https://www.facebook.com/groups/UKboardgametrade/
    Yup
  • Gregolution 4 May 2018 20:43:54 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played my first game of lords of waterdeep today. Really enjoyed it! It's simple but loads of interesting interactions for a euro. One of the most interactive euros I've played actually. Think I'll be adding that to my collection soon
  • FWB 4 May 2018 20:58:39 55,047 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Don't say that. Read a lot about it and need to find reasons not to buy it.
  • danathjo 4 May 2018 23:32:07 8,116 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yeah never had much interest of Waterdeep as always heard itís more of a Ďbeginners worker placementí but youíre recommending it.....on the investigative list it goes 😁

Iíve also tried a few games for the first time at a meet. Splendor and Machi Koro, both very enjoyable light games but not for me. Was tempted with Splendor but really donít need another trading items game really.

Also opened San Juan for a 2 player game, now I really loved this one as it nothing like Iíve played before. Dry theme but great mechanically, might try to break this out next gaming night as I think it would be quite easy to teach! Itís quite nice ticking off my unplayed too, only 4 to go!
  • danathjo 4 May 2018 23:34:35 8,116 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Heard itís a good gate way for Race for the Galaxy? Would be nice to work my way up to that one.
  • Mola_Ram 5 May 2018 00:47:09 18,231 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lords of Waterdeep is fun. I've played loads of it, and agree that it's a good gateway to playing other more complex games. Negatives are that it's not particularly connected to its theme, it's not particularly well-balanced, and the Lords themselves are a bit bland. But you'll have a good time with it regardless.

EDIT: Oh, and the pack up for the game (with its terrible insert) is a HUGE pain in the ass. Just save yourself the trouble by putting everything in baggies.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 00:48:44 05-05-2018
  • Gregolution 5 May 2018 08:52:39 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Lords of Waterdeep is fun. I've played loads of it, and agree that it's a good gateway to playing other more complex games. Negatives are that it's not particularly connected to its theme, it's not particularly well-balanced, and the Lords themselves are a bit bland. But you'll have a good time with it regardless.

EDIT: Oh, and the pack up for the game (with its terrible insert) is a HUGE pain in the ass. Just save yourself the trouble by putting everything in baggies.
    I thought the insert was pretty good? Compared to some games it wasn't bad at all to unpack.

I keep hearing it's a gateway game and makes me wonder if I'm just a bit slow and rubbish for liking it so much lol. I can't really say anything more than I just thought it was a lot of fun all the way through. Maybe it's simple enough to learn quickly and my boys can play it with me which is a huge plus so it's gateway in that sense BUT there are plenty of interesting decisions to make and that's the most important thing!

The fact quests are open means you know how to block other people, there are direct cards you can play against people so it's quite aggressive which I also really like and it plays quickly - doesn't take up HUGE tablespace (but a fair amount). It has a lot going for it IMO.

I really really enjoy Euros games with a lot of passive interactions and this has that in spades IMO. Solo MP games always get boring to me quite quickly.
  • Gregolution 5 May 2018 08:54:22 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's theme is certainly very light though - you could be playing anything. You can easily play the game just seeing colours and trying to match them up. That doesn't bother me though - it's all about how my brain feels when I'm playing these games and it's a nice thing to chew on turn by turn :D
  • TheRealBadabing 5 May 2018 10:54:39 1,794 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Lords of Waterdeep is great but I enjoy Champions of Midgard much more. Definitely worth a look if you are tempted by a worker placement game. Village is interesting too but you don't get to recruit berzerkers and fight trolls in that one.
  • Gregolution 5 May 2018 12:19:36 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing

I have been weighing that one against it but concerned about the dice. Not usually a fan of dice. Do they have a huge impact?
  • TheRealBadabing 5 May 2018 15:50:56 1,794 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The only thing the dice do is add a bit of risk to the combat. It's quite a good system and you are very unlikely to lose the game due to an unlucky roll but I understand that some gamers won't like even that level of chance.

Lots of worker placement stuff out there without dice but I find them quite dry. For me, managing the risks in combat is part of the fun and works very well thematically.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 5 May 2018 16:26:47 32,068 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's worth noting (if you're talking Champions of Midgard) the Valhalla expansion is great if you don't like dice making stuff too random, as it adds uses for dice that means a roll won't mean success or failure, but rather different options so you can turn what would've been a failed roll in the core game into a new opportunity.

I still like the core game without that though, as generally you're only rolling when your non-dice gameplay has allowed you to put the odds in your favour. Like Badabing says, you're not going to lose to a dice roll as long as you're playing well :)
  • Gregolution 5 May 2018 16:47:12 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hmmm. Still very weary of dice. I think I'm gaining an allergy to them.

Heading to London on board tomorrow to play my first game of rising sun , looking forward to that
  • TheRealBadabing 5 May 2018 21:00:25 1,794 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution Understandable but I view dice as the same as shuffling cards. If there aren't any surprises then I might as well be playing a cardboard spreadsheet.
  • Gregolution 5 May 2018 21:41:21 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    TheRealBadabing wrote:
    @Gregolution Understandable but I view dice as the same as shuffling cards. If there aren't any surprises then I might as well be playing a cardboard spreadsheet.
    Ever played Terra Mystica?
  • TheRealBadabing 6 May 2018 01:50:20 1,794 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution Nope. Can't really see my lot getting on with it, just like you will never get on with Midgard.

Some people enjoy Destiny and others prefer FTL. Some people even like Candy Crush. Horses for courses.
  • Gregolution 6 May 2018 08:57:51 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @TheRealBadabing

I'm not that anti dice. Really depends how they're used. Success failure is a really poor way to use them imo, but as some sort of modifer is great and then much closer to cards.

I've looked more into Midgard and might like how they're used there, keen to try it actually.

Just can't see how any game without dice is boring spreadsheets. There's lots of ways to make games fun / engaging.
  • Gregolution 6 May 2018 08:58:59 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Mola_Ram

Now I see your point about the insert. It's not great is it.
  • Mola_Ram 6 May 2018 09:16:25 18,231 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    It's the packing up that really makes it awful. Fitting all those tiny bits of cardboard into the slots, is a big pain in the bottom. It's not as time-consuming as the pack-up for some games (hello, Scythe), but it's ever so annoying.

But yeah, put everything into baggies. Much faster.
  • Gregolution 6 May 2018 21:40:33 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rising sun is really impressive. So many layers of strategy. Can see that being a game that would get better and better with more plays.
  • Tonka 7 May 2018 06:32:41 28,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yaah, I've only played Rising Sun once but I had a good time. I liked the "above the table" dealings almost more than the actual play. But there sure was a lot going on in a very streamlined package.

We got bit with the seppuku tactic which irked me a bit but it's apparently only viable when noobs are playing.

As for Lords of Waterdeep I think it's a really fun game. I thought you guys were insane when you complained about the inset but I agree that the tear down becomes a slog. The bonus is that setting it up is rather quick so it's good for a quick game with the kids.
  • Gregolution 7 May 2018 12:40:52 9,031 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    God. I want them all. I'm only borrowing waterdeep but want to own it now.

Also now want Rising sun.

Need more space and time!
  • Tonka 7 May 2018 12:58:17 28,047 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I also want them all. I want that Shanghai Murder Mystery game. I want that Forbidden City game. And Inis. And Hero Quest! And those CIA games!

But what I need is more game nights. I have enough games to lay me a long while.

I want to play Cuba Libre five times. I want to play Flannel Rouge five times in the same evening. And four player the gallerist and Dead of winter and Scythe!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.