Following Boardgames anyone? Page 294

• Gregolution 7 May 2018 14:24:05 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Agreed. I at least now have a weekly Sunday thing, already signed up for next week. Might test our a weekday one too. Can fit in a lot of board gaming in that amount of time. 😂.

Might introduce Wednesday after school gaming with my eldest too since I wfh 🤔
  • BearFishPie 7 May 2018 20:44:42 558 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Man alive, the first proper campaign mission in Dragonfire is not balanced well for 2 players. Weíve played it a few times now and itís utterly brutal. Iíll be sticking with it though as the decision-laden puzzly combat is so enjoyable.
  • FWB 7 May 2018 21:11:06 55,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Second game of Fog of Love. Seemed to drag on a bit and I think we are still learning the strategies. I did come away this time with a better understanding of some of the dynamics of it all. My only concern is whether I get through the stories before I really do appreciate it all. Though despite some online reviews, I am pretty sure you can replay things later. Perhaps not the early stories though as they don't offer the chance to break up, limiting your story.

Game two ended up in a marriage for the sake of it and neither of us was fulfilled. Sounds like real life.
  • Gregolution 8 May 2018 11:08:57 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @BearFishPie

Mate that is seriously hard but try to bend every part of the game in your favour. Order of players really really matters, the stickers really matter - make 💯 sure you have at least one caravan allowing a reset of the offer for flaming oil.

I failed it 4 or 5 times but once we really tweaked everything and thought twice as hard about every turn we beat it.
  • Gregolution 8 May 2018 11:13:17 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Rising Sun for 54 quid.....

God that's cheap. But I'd so rarely find 3-4 players. But it's so cheap.... But....
  • BearFishPie 8 May 2018 11:53:17 558 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gregolution Flaming oil definitely looks like the Ďwiní button for this. Frustratingly my Fighter only starts with 2 gold so I canít afford to buy it right off the bat. Iím in two minds about whether to buy Caravan or hold off for enough XP to get +1 starting gold to be able to buy it at the end of turn 1. If nothing else, at least the errata note stopped Goblin Horde from plopping 11 tokens down for this scenario at worst, just 3.
  • Tonka 8 May 2018 12:11:22 28,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    If Dragonfire is anything like Shadowrun:Crossfire then my general tips would be

Focus on what's on the table. Do as much damage as you can NOW. Don't try and save up for some card that you know might show up because by that time you might very well be dead.

Don't be too scared of taking hits. I watched a few videos of the designer playing the game and he was reckless. Apply damage rather than heal.

If you can delay raising the crossfire level ( I guess it's called Dragonfire for you guys) by taking an extra hit then do it.

There's a clever hack in SR:CF where you don't draw event cards for the first few turns if you're playing with fewer than four players. But instead of clearing the first wave before drawing the first card you delay so that you get to discard it when you clear

OK that got very specific and probably doesn't apply.

Anyway, what I love is that SR:CF is super tactical. 100% focused on doing the best possible turn right now. Sure, it pays off to know the cards and have an overarching "best outcome" strategy. But damn... so many times I've been holding out for enough money to ®get that super good card in the shop only to get shafted before I can buy it.
  • BearFishPie 8 May 2018 12:30:12 558 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Tonka Yeah, I think Dragonfire is very close to SR:CF in structure. For 2 player you start with a Dragonfire level of -2 (-1 for 3p) meaning you get a couple of roundsí grace before that deck starts hitting you.

Thanks for the tips - I think weíve been generally going about things correctly but struggling to replenish our hands quickly enough to weather the barrage of attacks in this scenario. Basically the scenario rules have an encounter token pop out for each enemy encounter you draw, plus another two for each of those encounters matching your colour. For 2 player that all but guarantees 3 tokens for the first card drawn, and a 50% chance for each subsequent encounter. Without an area of effect attack youíre effectively stuffed.

Edited by BearFishPie at 12:30:39 08-05-2018
  • Gregolution 9 May 2018 16:24:19 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Renegade has arrived :D
  • StarchildHypocrethes 11 May 2018 14:06:34 31,803 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    After months of incredibly exciting "Will I..? Won't I..?" drama in my head, I've finally just grabbed a copy of Terraforming Mars from my local shop.

SCIENCE!
  • Gregolution 12 May 2018 11:27:59 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    After months of incredibly exciting "Will I..? Won't I..?" drama in my head, I've finally just grabbed a copy of Terraforming Mars from my local shop.

SCIENCE!
    Let us know what you think of it. I think it's a fantastic solo game, maybe better than it is MP.
  • JoeBlade 12 May 2018 14:04:33 4,221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone have any recommendations for board games that:
    1. don't take too long (1 hour play time max maybe?)
    2. have simple rules
    3. are not too expensive
    ?
    Games where there is no real "end goal" but you can instead decide to stop playing at any time and determine who's won there and then would be a plus.

The reason I ask is I have two board gaming circles: my mates and my coworkers. The former own so many board games already it's not worth buying anything with them in mind. However, if I can acquire something less popular but still fun that I can introduce them to, all the better.

I only play with my colleagues occasionally on the other hand; very spur of the moment stuff really and additionally at least one of them has serious trouble when rules take more than three sentences to explain.
    I obviously don't want to spend a lot of dosh on games intended to be played primarily with them.

Thoughts?
  • JoeBlade 12 May 2018 14:06:10 4,221 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And no, this is not some elaborate scheme to bone Stacy from accounting. I leave that to GoatApocalypse.
  • Gregolution 12 May 2018 14:43:35 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

Finally did it mate. Sword and sorcery on its way
  • Tonka 12 May 2018 14:48:48 28,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution awesome! I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts on it.

Will you ever get the time to play it though?
  • Gregolution 12 May 2018 15:25:02 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @Gregolution awesome! I'm looking forward to hear your thoughts on it.

Will you ever get the time to play it though?
    yes!
  • Tonka 12 May 2018 16:25:29 28,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You're living the dream. I've reached that embarrassing point where I have unopened games in my cupboard...
  • Gregolution 12 May 2018 16:37:40 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Working from home two days a week helps
  • Tonka 12 May 2018 17:56:51 28,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    How? Do you solo whilst doing your job?
    How's Gloomhaven by the way? We lost on our third mission.
  • danathjo 12 May 2018 18:46:34 8,116 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Never touching Gloomhaven but any of you played evolution? Mostly Evolution Climate?

Caught my eye recently and quite intrigued, thematic and quite like the look of it.
  • Gregolution 12 May 2018 19:45:45 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

Sometimes yeah. No commute when I wfh is more hours to play , etc etc.

Love GH but going to start solo playing it now as never find the time to play with wife and son.
  • TheRealBadabing 12 May 2018 20:10:06 1,794 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    Never touching Gloomhaven but any of you played evolution? Mostly Evolution Climate?
    Gets a lot of play in our house. Quite a lot of depth and the theme is very good.
  • danathjo 13 May 2018 12:03:03 8,116 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Good to hear, not sure why I mentioned Gloomhaven though.
    Had a few shandies at that point, bloody drunk foruming!

Really keen on EC though, I feel that it doesn't get much airtime anywhere though as it's taken quite a while to even hear that it existed!
  • Gregolution 13 May 2018 20:32:56 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

Seems quite good by first impression. Much deeper and more tactical than Descent / IA which is what I wanted. Only did 3/4 of the prologue so early days but good so far.
  • Nemesis 13 May 2018 21:07:35 19,430 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    S&S keeps popping up on the radar; keep us all updated I might dip in if the solo play is good!

I've got some more Dragon Shield sleeves coming tomorrow alongside a couple of the stack n safe boxes...

https://ultimateguard.com/en/stack-n-safe/stack-n-safe-card-box-480

Time to get LOTR organised I think. I could potentially bin the boxes once they're organised as the Saga boxes are just an empty shell. Feel a bit bad, but I kinda want the space back.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 13 May 2018 21:19:08 32,072 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    danathjo wrote:

Caught my eye recently and quite intrigued, thematic and quite like the look of it.
    I've played base Evolution a few times. I quite like it and the way everyone's creatures interacts, such as trying to figure out what trait cards other players are giving their creatures and how to best deal with that. Then you're constantly adapting to make sure you have enough food to feed everything (plant food comes from a communal supply that you all contribute to blindly), whilst make sure you're not making yourself too open to being eaten by a Carnivore. All creatures are herbivores by default, so carnivores take up a trait slot.

Experimenting and combining traits is pretty interesting, and there are some great combos to discover, but my one concern is it can sometimes feel a bit like your options are limited. Last game I made a Carnivore and pumped it up so much, everyone else had to use trait cards with defensive traits, so they couldn't really build much that was all that interesting. I had more fun in games where we were all building herbivores, or engines where we'd have our own carnivores feed on our own herbivores.

However, as I understand it the Climate version gives you more trait slots and more trait cards per turn, so I reckon that'd fix that small issue. I do enjoy the base version but if I were buying my own copy it'd definitely be Climate as there'll be a lot more flexibility :)
  • FWB 13 May 2018 21:23:20 55,075 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Anyone have any recommendations for board games that:
    1. don't take too long (1 hour play time max maybe?)
    2. have simple rules
    3. are not too expensive
    ?
    Games where there is no real "end goal" but you can instead decide to stop playing at any time and determine who's won there and then would be a plus.

The reason I ask is I have two board gaming circles: my mates and my coworkers. The former own so many board games already it's not worth buying anything with them in mind. However, if I can acquire something less popular but still fun that I can introduce them to, all the better.

I only play with my colleagues occasionally on the other hand; very spur of the moment stuff really and additionally at least one of them has serious trouble when rules take more than three sentences to explain.
    I obviously don't want to spend a lot of dosh on games intended to be played primarily with them.

Thoughts?
    Bought this recently... https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/117959/las-vegas

Good fun, quick and can finish whenever you want. I have the card version, but I'll probably pick up some dice so can play that version too if I want. Nice warm up game.
  • Gregolution 13 May 2018 22:25:53 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Nemesis wrote:
    S&S keeps popping up on the radar; keep us all updated I might dip in if the solo play is good!

I've got some more Dragon Shield sleeves coming tomorrow alongside a couple of the stack n safe boxes...

https://ultimateguard.com/en/stack-n-safe/stack-n-safe-card-box-480

Time to get LOTR organised I think. I could potentially bin the boxes once they're organised as the Saga boxes are just an empty shell. Feel a bit bad, but I kinda want the space back.
    Beauty! I need these. Seriously need to get my ducks in a row with LOTR.
  • Tonka 14 May 2018 09:11:59 28,078 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution You got it already? Wow... time flies eh?

I had another 7th Continent session last night. It continues to surprise me with trixy mechanics. I'm still too overwhelmed by all the new mechanics to give any feedback on the game.

I'm having fun though. Probably played it for eight hours now and I've had a great time throughout.
  • Gregolution 14 May 2018 09:13:07 9,031 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

Amazon same day delivery. We live in the future!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.