Following Boardgames anyone? Page 302

• Gregolution 8 Aug 2018 15:18:48 9,031 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Distinct lack of chat in this thread boys! (and girls?)

I'm finally getting over my hatred of dice. Played loads of dice games recently and really enjoyed them.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 8 Aug 2018 15:56:08 32,072 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I love dice in general, but for me dice are best used where there are ways to manipulate them. Role Player is great for that, as there are lots of ways to get dice changed and shifted so even bad rolls can be twisted around.

Edited by DFawkes at 17:33:50 08-08-2018
  • StarchildHypocrethes 8 Aug 2018 16:02:49 31,802 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    After loving Space Empires 4x I've found myself a little obsessed with GMT. Got Washington's War as a leaving gift from work and ordered Wilderness War, whilst eyeing up Space Corp and the new CDG 4x they've just announced.

Talking of dice chuckers, I also managed to snag a copy of LOAD for 25 quid which has just turned up today.

Not playing any of them mind you as it's far too nice out.
  • Tonka 8 Aug 2018 16:41:19 28,064 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've drooled over my copy of Cuba Libre (speaking of GMT) for far too long. The wether in Sweden isn't very handy friendly ATM though. Roll on September..

I also got a nice email from Eagle Gryphon Games informing me that come April (or was it March) next year, there will be a Mars colonisation themed game from Lacerda with art by O'Toole that I might be interested in backing on Kickstarter.

They had me at Mars colonisation themed game from Lacerda with art by O'Toole.

I'm soooo backing that. Feels great to have my next purchase already lined up.

Before that I'll have to play Cuba Libre and that winter zombie game. And more Scythe... Oh fuck, I forgot Rise of Fenris. Damn... And then there's Western Legends.

What happened? I need to play more. Maybe get two groups going.
  • Gregolution 8 Aug 2018 16:53:42 9,031 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Me and my kids have been playing loads of Dice Throne. Like DFawkes said - it's best if there are ways to mitigate / manipulate and Dice Throne has loads of that. It's basically nerdy yahtzee with a lot more depth.

Already late pledge for Season 2, will be their xmas gift (for me).
  • Gregolution 8 Aug 2018 16:54:37 9,031 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    And more Scythe... Oh fuck, I forgot Rise of Fenris.

Ah yes, I need to order this. Haven't played Scythe in a while unfortunately.
  • Gregolution 8 Aug 2018 17:03:43 9,031 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    DFawkes wrote:
    I love dice in general, but for me dice are best used where there are ways to manipulate them. Role Player is great for that, as there are lots of ways to gets dice changed and shifts so even bad rolls can be twisted around.
    Have you tried The Edge, Dawnfall? That's the best skirmish dice chucker I've played. I'm all over it when it comes back to KS. It's everything shadespire should have been IMO.

You try to control crystal clusters on the board and harvest crystals. Each crystal helps you mitigate dice with re rolls or a better dice (proper d6 instead of 0-4) so the core gameplay objective is really tied to improving your mitigation options.

The worst rolls on each dice gives you a spent crystal back again too so you never have that feel bad situation of nothing happening by rolling poorly.
  • DFawkes Friendliest Forumite, 2016 8 Aug 2018 17:35:55 32,072 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm not a huge fan of skirmish games, though I have a friend that seems to buy every one of them so I'll nudge him and see if he bought that :p
  • BearFishPie 8 Aug 2018 18:01:23 558 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iím very interested in Keyforge - the objective being a little more complex than just shoeing your opponent to death looks very neat, and the way theyíre handling balance is a pretty smart one. It looks like an ideal lunchtime head to head game!

Plus with Richard Garfield on design duty Iím confident itíll at least play out in interesting ways.
  • BearFishPie 8 Aug 2018 18:03:52 558 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Darkroot expansion for Dark Souls has turned up. The base game is unfortunately still to hit the table, but if nothing else those minis are really nice to behold. Sif is pretty damned big!
  • disusedgenius 8 Aug 2018 18:07:40 9,296 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I'm also likely to try to get on the Keyforge train. I like card games but I just don't have the spare brain space to hold hundreds of cards in memory to come up with deck ideas. For some reason the structure of WFB or X-Wing make it easier for me to idly mull over list ideas.

All the gameplay vids I've seen so far are promising as well - there's just about enough to keep it interesting rather than falling off the Hearthstone design ledge of tedium. I doubt it'll be enough to have as a core game system, but it should be a nice filler in between X-Wing at least. Hopefully better than Destiny was anyway.

Edited by disusedgenius at 18:08:28 08-08-2018
  • Gregolution 8 Aug 2018 18:26:21 9,031 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Also interested in keyforge
  • poisonknight 8 Aug 2018 21:04:08 6 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 1 week ago
    I'm actually looking for board games to play as well and I didn't know there is so many board games available. I'll check them out one by one and see which one I like the most. If you guys have other recommendations feel free to suggest me as I'm open to any type of board game!
  • danathjo 9 Aug 2018 07:33:05 8,116 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Western Legends should be arriving soon, I remember it looking pretty good.

It certainly looks like Keyforge might be the next big deck builder, would look into it if I hadnít just double downed on Marvel Legendary. 3 big box and 1 small box expansions since late July. Even had to tear apart an expansion box to rejig the core box to make all the cards fit!

Anyway just rambling now.
    Escape Plan KS has almost finished, get on it people! 😁
  • Tonka 9 Aug 2018 08:49:51 28,064 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution did you see Tom Vassels review of Fenris? That put it on the must buy for me. He was raving. 🕺💊
  • disusedgenius 9 Aug 2018 09:21:40 9,296 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    It certainly looks like Keyforge might be the next big deck builder, would look into it if I hadnít just double downed on Marvel Legendary.
    Don't worry, it's not even a constructed deck game like Magic, let alone a deck builder like Legendary.

Which reminds me, I need to try to pick up the Fantastic Four expansion now it's back in print.
  • BillMurray 9 Aug 2018 11:23:17 9,256 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I know absolutely nothing about D&D but I really enjoyed listening to Stephen Colbert on his show talk about the game for a solid 15 minutes or so with the actor Joe Mangaiello. Really made me want to give it a go.
  • Tonka 9 Aug 2018 11:44:57 28,064 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Keyforge sounded interesting until I saw that it was by Fantasy Flight. It will end up with a gazillion of poorly balanced expansions and then get a complete rules overhaul that force people to buy new decks.

I don't get why people are so positive towards FF.
  • Rhaegyr 9 Aug 2018 11:50:55 4,529 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Um, they made Descent, Eldritch Horror, War of the Ring, Fury of Dracula etc. which are all fantastic games.

Seems like it's cool to hate FF within the board game community.
  • brokenkey 9 Aug 2018 12:15:44 9,805 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    BillMurray wrote:
    I know absolutely nothing about D&D but I really enjoyed listening to Stephen Colbert on his show talk about the game for a solid 15 minutes or so with the actor Joe Mangaiello. Really made me want to give it a go.
    Playing a beginner quest with the kids last night. After killing some giant rats, skinning them (for reasons), and then finding a floor puzzle/trap, they decided to test out the trap by putting one of the rat skins on it, to try to trigger the trap. Despite an earlier warning they would be slippy like a banana skin.

Dexetrity checks as they each jump onto the "safe spot", last child in the group fails, gets told they've slipped on the rat skin and now the trap is going to trigger.

I love DnD.
  • Tonka 9 Aug 2018 12:32:20 28,064 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rhaegyr my judgement is probably a bit rash. It's based on having played Mansion of Madness 2nd edition (if a game needs an app for all the upkeep then maybe it's time to trim the mechanics instead) and my friends exasperation at having invested a lot in XWing only to find out about the rebalance.

I wish I was a better person than the one who picks two games and then judge the entire catalogue based on them. But I'm not. Looking at a let's play of Fallout only cemented my view of FF as a company that just keep adding stuff to their games way beyond bursting point.

I have heard good things about the Dracula game although it's many editions send to confirm my opinion of FF yet again.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Aug 2018 12:41:51 31,802 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There are loads of great FF games overall. X-wing has been out for years now and most collectible games like that would have got a reboot/update long before now.
  • Rhaegyr 9 Aug 2018 12:44:24 4,529 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    There's 3 Editions of FoD; for a game that was released in 87 and is over 30 years old that's not too shabby surely?
  • Tonka 9 Aug 2018 13:08:41 28,064 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    There's a new edition it this year. Although it seems to have shifted hands for a second time so maybe the re-editioning had some copyright issues behind them.

I've only ever heard praise for FF. Especially their production values do I was a bit surprised to hear that hating on them is trendy now.

My dislike is based on how they pile on mechanics but they're definitely not the only publisher with games like that.

I was knocked flat by the art and the of Coimbra (as an example) but when I saw a video of how it played I lost all interest half way through. A lot of people enjoy these things though so I might be the odd one. Heck I've been complaining about Gloomhaven (poster boy for piling on stuff) more than once and that's the highest rated in several categories (strategy LOL).
  • whatfruitlivesagain 9 Aug 2018 13:26:38 1,203 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    @brokenkey Glad to hear your still roleplaying. Last night I played a narrative RPG game of Follow. We played video game executives struggling for control over the development of a MMO called Land of Fantasy Quest Judgement: The Reckoning.

My issue with Fantasy Flight is they have some of the worst written rule books in board games. They drop lines after players invest heavily into them and they ruined Warhammer RPG using it as test bed for ideas the Star Wars licence.
  • disusedgenius 9 Aug 2018 13:35:31 9,296 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    my friends exasperation at having invested a lot in XWing only to find out about the rebalance.
    Good God was it needed though.
  • Decap 9 Aug 2018 15:42:38 137 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:Seems like it's cool to hate FF within the board game community.
    I don't think it's cool, but it's entirely understandable. I own a bunch of games from FFG but nowadays I stay clear of their games when I can.
    Every game you listed comes from "the old FFG", when you actually got an entire game with your purchase.

New FFG sells you a board game: it's incomplete/lacking/short on content so you need to buy expansions/second core set to get the complete experience. And every game they make is bombarded with dozens of expansions. That just doesn't appeal to me anymore.
    (And once they have bombarded the games with enough expansions, they bring in a new edition of the same game. But hey, you can still use your old stuff, just buy a new core!)

The only game I tolerate from them atm is Mansions of madness as it's been a hit with my group. But other than that I don't like the obvious cash grab-mentality that they have nowadays.
    I think that even Games Workshop makes more complete board games atm than FFG. And there are many more publishers as well where I don't feel like I need to buy a bunch of extra just to get the full experience.

Every new FFG game feels like a subscription atm.
  • Rhaegyr 9 Aug 2018 15:52:49 4,529 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fair points - those games are the only ones I own/have played that are made by FFG and I love every one of them so my opinion of them is skewed massively.
  • disusedgenius 9 Aug 2018 15:57:55 9,296 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    To be honest I don't even think of FFG as a board game company, outside of a handful of good examples: Twilight Imperium, Game of Thrones, Forgotten War, Rebellion etc.

They're pretty deep into the WotC 'lifestyle games' category for me, just with a higher rate of fire.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 9 Aug 2018 15:58:29 31,802 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Outside of their LCG model which is a whole other thing, I can't really think of any "incomplete" games I own from FF.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.