Following Boardgames anyone? Page 303

• Rhaegyr 9 Aug 2018 16:04:08 4,634 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Ditto.

Plus, how does a company produce War of the Ring, Descent, GoT, Eldritch, FoD etc. and not be classed as a board game company?

I sound like an FFG cheerleader here...
  • disusedgenius 9 Aug 2018 16:10:22 9,402 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    Plus, how does a company produce War of the Ring, Descent, GoT, Eldritch, FoD etc. and not be classed as a board game company?
    Because I spend hundreds of pounds a year on their expandable games, so I keep on forgetting what else they do. :p

Also a lot of their board games are war games or dungeon crawlers, so I forget how many variations they do in those genres.
  • whatfruitlivesagain 9 Aug 2018 16:11:01 1,402 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Tonka 9 Aug 2018 20:48:45 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    WotC?
  • disusedgenius 9 Aug 2018 22:01:56 9,402 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Wizards of the Coast.

They do Magic the Gathering and DnD, amongst a few other things.
  • Tonka 10 Aug 2018 07:13:49 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Thanks.
  • BearFishPie 10 Aug 2018 09:12:13 624 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    To be fair, the way Keyforge works you literally canít mix and match cards to construct a deck - each deck is unique in some way, and you just have to figure out how to make that particular one work. Itíll be interesting to see how this works out as a business model, given this means thereíll be no singles market to speak of.
  • Tonka 10 Aug 2018 16:20:49 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Having looked at Tom Vassels review I'm kind of intrigued. He also says he'll get the starter Pak (4 decks) plus a couple of extra decks AND go looking for an after market deck with his favorite houses in it.

Classic Fantasy Flight.

The game looks really cool though. I like that it had done something completely new and really brave. I wonder if they've had an ai play a bazillion games to balance it all out.
  • Gregolution 10 Aug 2018 16:27:31 9,193 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Having looked at Tom Vassels review I'm kind of intrigued. He also says he'll get the starter Pak (4 decks) plus a couple of extra decks AND go looking for an after market deck with his favorite houses in it.

Classic Fantasy Flight.

The game looks really cool though. I like that it had done something completely new and really brave. I wonder if they've had an ai play a bazillion games to balance it all out.
    I don't get it. Why? Isn't every deck generated to be equally as powerful but in different ways? I thought you'd potentially only need one (for each person)
  • Gregolution 10 Aug 2018 16:28:44 9,193 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Keyforge sounded interesting until I saw that it was by Fantasy Flight. It will end up with a gazillion of poorly balanced expansions and then get a complete rules overhaul that force people to buy new decks.

I don't get why people are so positive towards FF.
    They make good and bad for certain. In this case it's a Richard Garfield game though. Ffg are publishers.

Garfield is a nerd hero
  • Tonka 10 Aug 2018 16:31:57 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    My Escape Plan pledge had been collected \o/

It turned out a bit cheaper than I thought. I guess shipping costs will sort that out...

Was planning on selling the Kickstarter extras to offset the cost a bit, but seeing as nearly 7000 people backed it I wonder if anyone will be interested.
  • Gregolution 13 Aug 2018 10:41:01 9,193 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    How annoying. Lots of buzz about The Root at the moment, started looking into it last night and found 5+ in stock at Zatu. decided to sleep on it and do some research today before buying and it's already out of stock.

Boo.
  • Tonka 13 Aug 2018 10:50:30 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Never sleep on stuff like that. (Pats the last copy of Cuba Libre that was for sale in Sweden plus one of the last copies of Shadowrun : Crossfire in the world). Just pull the trigger and put it on ebay in case you get some buyers remorse.

Root looks really interesting though. From what I understand there's a similarity to COIN games (such as the aforementioned Cuba Libre) so if you like the highly asymetrical mechanics then go for one of them.

Meanwhile I've cooled on The 7th Continent for the dumbest of resons. Theres something that happens in the first adventure where all of a sudden I've no idea what I'm supposed to do. So whilst I'm still having fun and am constantly impressed with the cleverness of the game, I'm also constantly pissed off that I'm just stumbling around in the dark.

A better hint would have fucking helped!
  • Tonka 13 Aug 2018 17:39:22 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Shit! I've started reading up on Root and daaamn... I want it.

No place to put it, no time to play it, but daaamn...

My interest arrived at an inopportune moment seeing as I've recently started brushing up my faded memory of the Cuba Libre rules.
  • Nemesis 14 Aug 2018 10:38:49 19,481 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Put money down on My Little Scythe and picked up the last copy of Caverna from CC.

We really enjoyed our first game of Mansions of Madness the other night, but holy fuck those bases are bloody awful. To a point where I grabbed some clear Litko bases to replace them. Quite terrible.

I like the app doing the work to be honest. We can just play the game and it seems better than the app work for Imperial Assault. I really do dislike the app from IA itís so ...... dull.
  • Gregolution 14 Aug 2018 14:12:30 9,193 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

Looks good doesn't it! I'm annoyed I missed that copy from Zatu.
  • Tonka 15 Aug 2018 06:21:58 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Root looks great. Even the silkscreened meeples (something I'm usually not a fan of) look really good. Fortunately I've managed to still my urge to buy it by re-reading my Cuba Libre rules... hoping that I one day will get to play it.

(I'm sad and pathetic, but at least I'm enjoying myself)

My next purchase will be backing the On Mars campaign next April (why didn't they make it March? I guess that joke only works in Swedish so yeah... I'll just delete this bit)
  • whatfruitlivesagain 15 Aug 2018 11:17:23 1,402 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Elon Musks Ipod Submarine.

https://imgur.com/gallery/mTzrTky
  • Tonka 15 Aug 2018 11:23:42 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Elon Musk is the messiah we deserve.
  • Tonka 15 Aug 2018 17:37:48 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So Fantasy Flight Games have apparently come up with a new way of publishing games lacked unique games.

A new game called Discover Lands Unknown is on the way where each box has a unique combination of characters, terrains and missions.

Just as with keyforge every game is complete so no need to buy a bunch of doodads. Not sure of you can combine them.

I'm quite intrigued by the idea but I wouldn't buy before I've read a bunch of reviews.
  • MikeP 29 Aug 2018 14:09:02 2,892 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Hello!

Just wanted to pipe up in the thread and say based on the discussions and recommendations in here I dipped my toe into board games.

I've been playing Carcassonne & Lords of Waterdeep, both of which I and my friends have been enjoying a lot. And I just got hold of the original variant of Pandemic.

Thanks for all your contributions, you lovely people.
  • AaronTurner 29 Aug 2018 14:17:09 10,184 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    So Fantasy Flight Games have apparently come up with a new way of publishing games lacked unique games.

A new game called Discover Lands Unknown is on the way where each box has a unique combination of characters, terrains and missions.

Just as with keyforge every game is complete so no need to buy a bunch of doodads. Not sure of you can combine them.

I'm quite intrigued by the idea but I wouldn't buy before I've read a bunch of reviews.
    I can understand it in Keyforges context but in a self contained solo game I just don't see any reason to do it other than rip off the consumer. Why do we need randomised components in a box? It seems a way to get people to buy 2, 3 or 4 boxes to try and experience a slightly different game. A rip off.
  • AaronTurner 29 Aug 2018 14:18:26 10,184 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Also, I bought into the Lord of the Rings digital game yesterday. Incredibly disappointed with it. It's so watered down that it doesn't resemble the tabletop game at all aside from the graphics.
  • disusedgenius 29 Aug 2018 14:33:35 9,402 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    I can understand it in Keyforges context but in a self contained solo game I just don't see any reason to do it other than rip off the consumer. Why do we need randomised components in a box? It seems a way to get people to buy 2, 3 or 4 boxes to try and experience a slightly different game. A rip off.
    Smaller individual buy in and less set up time, basically.
  • AaronTurner 29 Aug 2018 14:38:39 10,184 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    disusedgenius wrote:
    AaronTurner wrote:
    Smaller individual buy in and less set up time, basically.
    You think the game will be cheaper than other boxed games?
  • disusedgenius 29 Aug 2018 14:56:50 9,402 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    AaronTurner wrote:
    You think the game will be cheaper than other boxed games?
    Considering that component heavy games are starting to regularly hit £70+, yes.

FFG already did this kind of thing with Battle For Rokugan, which had a smaller box profile and a smaller price point than Game of Thrones. It's almost like chocolate bars getting smaller but the same price point.

Edited by disusedgenius at 14:58:54 29-08-2018
  • AaronTurner 29 Aug 2018 15:01:40 10,184 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    We'll see when it comes out. I'm dubious to say the least.
  • disusedgenius 29 Aug 2018 15:06:14 9,402 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Looking at it, they have it listed at $60, so about middle of the park.
  • AaronTurner 29 Aug 2018 15:21:45 10,184 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    That's the cost of Eldritch Horror.
  • Tonka 29 Aug 2018 15:22:04 28,739 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @MikeP welcome to the party Mike! I just had a conversation this very day, with a colleague of mine about how we should get Lords of Waterdeep to the table.

It's a lot of fun. Never played Pandemic, looking forward to your thoughts on it.

Also, start making room in your cupboard.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.