Following Boardgames anyone? Page 306

• drhickman1983 2 Sep 2018 18:04:17 5,548 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

I'm more than happy to concede that I'm probably missing something with my limited experience. Trying to keep track of what others are doing isn't that easy, certainly not for me at this point.

I imagine it's a game I could grow to really love, but playing it enough to reach that point isn't all that appealing right now, not when there are other, games I'd rather be playing. I'll probably give it another couple of goes at least, would be good to try each faction.

The overall reception does seem hugely positive, so probably not worth listening to me on this :p
  • Tonka 2 Sep 2018 18:40:49 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I just read a long thread on BGG on the issue and it seems that everyone agreed that if the vagabond is left alone, that player will win.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2042394/vagabond-and-balance
  • Gregolution 3 Sep 2018 05:59:42 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Risk is indeed the daddy of all board games. Used to have Risk evenings with my mates once a month. Need to get those going again really.
    Starchild is on the first page 😁
  • Tonka 3 Sep 2018 11:42:57 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Have I told ya'll my RISK story?

Back in 1987 my dad bought an Apple Macintosh SE and one of the games we had for it was RISK. I played it obsessively util I had figured out how all the different kinds of AI worked and had a tactic that made me win every game. (Turtle from south america)

Fast forward to the mid 90's and I was doing my military service. We had a copy of RISK that got played a bit. I absolutely rubbished the others to a point where I wasn't allowed to play any more.
  • Gregolution 3 Sep 2018 18:28:50 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

Lol love it.

Military service though. Glad we dont have to do that.
  • solidsneek 3 Sep 2018 18:30:13 763 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Does anyone take part in a voice chat roleplay or D and D online would love to get in to it
  • Nemesis 3 Sep 2018 18:35:23 19,472 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There was a separate D&D thread running for just that thing; I don't know how well it went, though.
  • solidsneek 3 Sep 2018 18:42:23 763 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Iíd love to get in to board games or D and D but donít have the time to meet people at a house or game store
  • PrivateFloyd 3 Sep 2018 19:45:10 5,156 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone have or tried Zombicide season 1.

Watched some YouTube vids, looks ace. Lots and lots of expansions though, could get costly!!!
  • Nemesis 3 Sep 2018 20:31:12 19,472 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    solidsneek wrote:
    Iíd love to get in to board games or D and D but donít have the time to meet people at a house or game store
    Recent numbers suggest solo play is a big market. So, for example, Arkham Horror, is played by about 70% of the customer base solo.

I play most of my games solo to be honest and that's OK. The days of a group playing D&D have long since gone, and today I finally faced up to the reality of it.

/sad
  • Tonka 4 Sep 2018 06:22:44 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Solo is good though. When I first started playing boardgames again (about two years ago maybe?) I thought it sounded odd.

But I've played Shadowrun : Crossfire obsessively, fair bit of Flamme Rouge and The 7th Continent and it has all been rather pleasurable.

If I had more time I'd set up Scythe, The Gallerist or Cuba Libre.

@solidsneek Since you want D&D but it sounds like you might have to solo I recommend Gloomhaven.
  • Gregolution 4 Sep 2018 06:56:10 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Anyone have or tried Zombicide season 1.

Watched some YouTube vids, looks ace. Lots and lots of expansions though, could get costly!!!
    It's very simplistic in strategy apparently. Just dice chucking and not a lot of thinking. Not necessarily a bad thing , depends what you like.

If you like the theme of zombies dead of winter is a great game IMO
  • Gregolution 4 Sep 2018 06:58:33 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Solo is good though. When I first started playing boardgames again (about two years ago maybe?) I thought it sounded odd.

But I've played Shadowrun : Crossfire obsessively, fair bit of Flamme Rouge and The 7th Continent and it has all been rather pleasurable.

I'm exactly the same. Thought it was weird but totally fine with it now.

Gaia Project and Terraforming mars are both excellent solo and can play quite quickly too. (An hour or so)

Backed unbroken too which is solo only.
  • Tonka 4 Sep 2018 07:49:10 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Unbroken... is that the card driven dungeon crawler? Looked like it could be fun if that's the one.
  • Gregolution 4 Sep 2018 09:33:17 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    It's somewhat card driven yeah , big player sheet with cubes to level yourself up in various ways. I think the idea is to survive and level as much as possible before encountering the enemy that hunts you. If you survive you get a tougher enemy etc

You don't play cards for abilities though. Cards are encounters and tests I think.

Edited by Gregolution at 09:34:06 04-09-2018
  • solidsneek 4 Sep 2018 12:36:55 763 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Is there anywhere you can play board games online real time?
  • AaronTurner 4 Sep 2018 13:18:49 10,095 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tabletop simulator, tabletopia, octgn8
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Sep 2018 13:31:43 311 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Anyone played an Escape Room games that you can buy to play at home? We've kept meaning to play the "proper" thing but never had time when they are available, so this looks like an option. Seem about £20 which while I know its a one off (or 4 off with one of them) but its a lot cheaper than the real thing and could be fun.
  • BearFishPie 4 Sep 2018 14:57:02 614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Iíve played games from the Deckscape, EXIT: The Game, and Unlock series - personally I prefer the EXIT ones although itís difficult to keep them intact if you hope to sell it on after playing. I still think theyíre good value for money entertainment wise.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 4 Sep 2018 15:26:26 311 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    @BearFishPie thanks,the exit games look good from what I've read and you get for games in one as well. I'm not fussed about resale value as I'm a hoarder anyway.
  • onestepfromlost 4 Sep 2018 15:36:39 2,719 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    so decided i would get back into boardgames, i also get offered a bit of credit. Not a good combination (or an amazing one) went a bit nuts over the last two months and splurged on a few things, first gloomhaven, then dead of winter, then mansions of madness, now imperial assault. I need to stay off boardgamegeek or itll be out of control :p
  • Tonka 4 Sep 2018 16:18:08 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Well... that is the only downside of boardgaming.
    (And one I haven't found a way around for)
  • BearFishPie 4 Sep 2018 20:46:50 614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @GuybrushFreepwood At least in the UK each EXIT box is a single standalone game you can only play once. The Unlock series have three games in each box over here, and have a higher price tag (natch). I gather theyíre sold individually in the US though. I donít think there are any four-in-ones.
  • BearFishPie 4 Sep 2018 20:49:25 614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I managed to have a second attempt at playing Space Hulk Death Angel recently, two years after completely failing to understand what the hell I was supposed to be doing first time round.

I get it now, and itís haaaard.
  • FWB 4 Sep 2018 23:11:12 55,155 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    PazJohnMitch wrote:
    Pandemic suffers a little bit as one player can end up bossing all the others about.
    That it does, but hence why it works as a nice introduction to a game - you can really support other players. Then you just need to learn how to step back. I still like it, but I really hold back in my suggestions now as else I'll dominate. Get the add-on with the bio-terrorist and have the newer players play against the "expert".

Finally been playing Arhkam Horror having bought it in the summer and we suck. Learning, but still sucking. Enjoy it though.

Wish they'd redo the Twilight Struggle Special Edition. I'd definitely buy that now.

Edited by FWB at 23:12:43 04-09-2018
  • drhickman1983 4 Sep 2018 23:56:41 5,548 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Played Root again. As the marquise de cat again.

Still not sold. This play was a bit more balanced in terms of player skill and knowledge, but I'm still thinking it's a game that's very clever and well designed, but that doesn't equate to actual enjoyment.

Doesn't help that I find the cat mechanics actually quite tedious. The Eyrie is a bit more interesting, would like to try that again (first play was totally baffling so I'm pretty much ignoring that first play in my assessments)
  • Tonka 5 Sep 2018 06:05:13 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @drhickman1983 how did the vagabond fare this time? Was it the same player?
  • drhickman1983 5 Sep 2018 06:54:10 5,548 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Different vagabond player, he did pretty poorly, and came last, though we did attack him more so had to spend more time just repairing stuff.
  • Tonka 5 Sep 2018 07:07:11 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I was dead set on buying Root but after hearing your thoughts and reading up on it I've cooled. Which is a great thing.

I just don't need any more games that takes about three dedicated sessions just to get into.

I think it's a rather interesting topic though. Balance in a game beeing dependent on all the players knowing what they're doing. It's fair enough if your group is up for it but I'm not sure it's for me. I read a longish thread about Rising Sun and how that only reaches its full potential once everyone have a fair few games under their belt.

That could be said of any game to some extent but it's the idea that you need to know what factions to look out for in advance that I'm not liking too much.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.