Following Boardgames anyone? Page 307

• Gregolution 5 Sep 2018 11:14:55 9,152 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm totally the opposite. I adore a game that takes a long time to learn and you only start seeing proper strategies after several plays.

Where are my Sept chaos cards codes!?
  • drhickman1983 5 Sep 2018 12:53:14 5,548 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    My favourite game of the last 12 months, and one of my favourites in general, is Time of Crisis.

That's quite a big game, and I was utterly baffled in first play through, but there was enough of a hook that made me want to play it. So I'm not averse to games that leave me baffled, as long as I enjoyed them.

I really don't want to turn anybody off root, some of my friends love it, and I can understand why. It just hasn't sparked for me yet. Maybe it will, in time.
  • Gregolution 5 Sep 2018 14:45:34 9,152 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I've got a pre order for it with Chaos Cards and I'm playing it next Tuesday. Looking forward to it
  • Tonka 5 Sep 2018 19:13:17 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I failed to get my point across. It's a bit more nuanced than it sounds from my previous post. I'll make another attempt once I get to a proper keyboard
  • Gregolution 8 Sep 2018 10:09:05 9,152 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Where are my damn chaos cards codes! Anyone received any emails from them?

I never seem to get the emails
  • BearFishPie 8 Sep 2018 12:15:28 614 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @Gregolution Nothing in my inbox either :(
  • Nemesis 8 Sep 2018 15:12:53 19,472 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nope; did a bit of business with Magic Madhouse instead as they automatically apply loyalty discounts without code faffing. (Plus CC didnít have it in stock)

Edited by Nemesis at 15:13:09 08-09-2018
  • Tonka 8 Sep 2018 15:13:00 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Checked your spam folders?
  • solidsneek 9 Sep 2018 18:00:51 763 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I like the idea of playing maybe solos or 1 v 1 thrown in with some group games - does online work well tor this day tabletopia?
  • Tonka 10 Sep 2018 06:24:09 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    One big reson I got into boardgames was to get away from screens.

However, I've come to understand that theres a shit tonne of play testing being done via Tabletopia, so it's a good place to rub shoulders with famous designers. Also agood way to test kickstarters before pledging.

Escape plan was (is?) available for play during the kickstarter and there were a few reviews on bgg written base on tabletopia sessions.

Couple that with factors like not wanting ppl over, not knowing anyone who find boardgaming interesting, not being able to afford games maybe (not sure if tabletopia is free) maybe having some disability that makes it hard or impossible to play with little meeple etc.

Whilst I'm still not interested personally, I can definitely see why someone would play boardgames on-line for a multitude of reasons.
  • BearFishPie 11 Sep 2018 16:14:29 614 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Has anyone picked up Rise of Fenris for Scythe? It sounds superb, plus Iím very interested in the concept of the co-op module.
  • Gregolution 11 Sep 2018 16:44:59 9,152 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Yup, haven't played yet though
  • Tonka 11 Sep 2018 17:07:48 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm hovering over the buy button daily.
  • PazJohnMitch 11 Sep 2018 17:48:51 13,958 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I am yet to play Scythe but I have asked for it as a birthday present.

If it goes down well I will get the expansions for Christmas.
  • FWB 11 Sep 2018 20:01:44 55,155 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I need to play Scythe more.
  • JoeBlade 11 Sep 2018 20:29:30 4,276 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've been reading about Scythe with keen interest; the description makes me think 'Risk with more depth and almost no luck factor'

Is that an accurate assessment? I always thought the premise of Risk was an interesting one but the luck aspect put me off; seeing a well thought out strategy go down the shitter due to dice rolls is not fun.
    In other words: Scythe might be just the thing for me if I'm interpreting its descriptions and reviews right.
  • FWB 11 Sep 2018 20:42:52 55,155 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Hmm, not really. There's more on resource management and the conflict is more of a cold war. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but there are consequences and thus you need to think carefully.

There's no luck in it, but it's never obvious who will win as you choose to secretly play points you accumulate and/or cards to boost your combat score. In addition, instigating fighting negatively affects your popularity. This all means you really have to choose when and where to fight, and if at all and that you aren't going to win the game by wiping people out. It's not about conquering the world... that can't happen.

I like that your resources (production and storage) are on the map, and so can be "stolen". Forcing you to alternate between actions each turn definitely works

Once you get into it, it's actually quite a simple game; not so complicated that afterwards you'll realise how many rule mistakes you made.

The only connection it has to Risk is that the map is divided into territory that you can conquer. Else, I'd argue, it's very different.

Edited by FWB at 20:43:57 11-09-2018
  • FWB 11 Sep 2018 20:46:31 55,155 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh and I do dig the setting and artwork. The story cards are a nice touch too. An expansion would do well to build on this. In fact, I'd love a narrative game set in the world
  • BearFishPie 11 Sep 2018 20:56:46 614 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    @FWB Iím fairly sure thatís exactly what Rise of Fenris is, alongside a bunch of modular expansions you can use more generally
  • Nemesis 11 Sep 2018 21:29:41 19,472 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    There's a digital version of Scythe just launched on Steam....bit pricey, but you know, you can get a refund if you dislike it....
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2018 06:45:47 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @JoeBlade

Scythe is amazing, but it's not like Risk at all. You don't even really conquer land and you don't try and exterminate anyone of your foes.

I'm slowly getting to grips with what it is and it's not a 4x (expand, explore, exploit, exterminate) or even an engin builder really. I think of it as an engine tuner and it's actually really thematically connected.

The story is set after a devastating war and you're trying to restore your faction/country/whatever you call it to its former glory. That might include crushing your enemy and driving their women and children before you. It might also be focusing on setting up a nice infra structure for the production of glorious monuments.

What I mean with engine tuner is that each faction and player mat form a unique combination that has an optimal(ish) strategy. But it needs to be fixed (due to the big war that preqludes the game). So rather than going full sandbox "Oh whatever will I build?" it's a question of "Shit... I really need wood but that's not readily available to me right now... what to do?"

I absolutely adore Scythe. Even games where I thoroughly fuck up and end up dead last I love it. It's always clear where I went wrong and what I should have done differently. It's also a game where I can enjoy seeing someone else executing a carefully laid plan and pull ahead by a mile.

But I strongly urge you to look at the Shut up & Sit down review so that you get to hear from someone who didn't like it.

Hmmm... I think I might treat myself to a copy of Fenris at lunchtime. My wifes away so I might be able to sneak into the cupboard. I just need to move some of the other games around. Maybe put Crapassonne back in the attic where it belongs. (Or straight in the bin... flush it down the toilet)

Anyhow. If you want Risk but better I can recommend this video
  • alt-cmd-esc 12 Sep 2018 08:23:10 273 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Much as I want to like Scythe it has fallen flat for me every time I have played it. I think the mechanics are dull, there is a luck element (depending on the boards you get at the start of the game), the encounter cards are okay, but need some text alongside the artwork imho, and the endgame is generally an anticlimax. I havenít sold my copy yet, though, as I keep hoping the game will eventually click for me.
  • Gregolution 12 Sep 2018 08:28:59 9,152 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    alt-cmd-esc wrote:
    Much as I want to like Scythe it has fallen flat for me every time I have played it. I think the mechanics are dull, there is a luck element (depending on the boards you get at the start of the game), the encounter cards are okay, but need some text alongside the artwork imho, and the endgame is generally an anticlimax. I havenít sold my copy yet, though, as I keep hoping the game will eventually click for me.
    I think it gets better with repeated plays personally. I don't know how many times you've played it but it got better and better for me every game all the way towards 10.

I don't really agree getting different boards means there's a luck element to it though, that's just randomised set up which is quite different to luck. Your boards aren't better or worse than anyone elses. Luck implies you can roll well or get a good hand and win because of it.

Terra Mystica and Gaia Project are perfect information no luck whatsoever games but have plenty of setup randomisation to keep the puzzle dynamic for every game.

Edited by Gregolution at 08:38:07 12-09-2018
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2018 08:44:23 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's the vary fashionable random input vs random output discussion.
    In other words events leading up to your decision being random (what boards you get) or the results of your actions being random (roll dice, hope for a 6)

I'm OK with the former and not too keen on the latter.

It ties in nicely with the argument I tried to make wrt what I've read about Root (and how I felt after having played Rising Sun once).

In Scythe different factions/player board combos require different strategies. But there's only one that is somewhat overpowered and only in the hands of a skilled player. So the input randomness is OK imho.

(I'm not trying to make the argument that people who don't like Scythe are wrong btw. Not every game is for every one and Scythe has a distinct flavour to it. That is a good thing and should be celebrated. Concordia didn't click for me at all, as an example, and plenty of people love that game)

Contrast that with my game of Rising Sun where one guy stumbled upon a killer strategy for one clan. The only counter to that is everyone else being aware of it. i.e. first time you're fucked.

Root sounds like it has the same problem. If you don't know beforehand that you have to gank on the vagabond (despite there not being any obvious advantages to that) the Vagabond will steal the end game.

I do like games having depth that opens up as you pay them more. I'm not over the moon about "Unless you've playd it before you will fall into a bunch of traps." It's insta-death.
  • Gregolution 12 Sep 2018 08:46:10 9,152 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

Yeah well said Tonkster, I feel exactly the same.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 12 Sep 2018 09:29:56 31,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I enjoy Scythe, but I don't love it.

I think it's just that I don't find it very exciting.

I can appreciate the work that's gone in to balance and love the design, but I feel the actual game is just a race down the same checklist of objectives. None of which really have that many different avenues with which to complete them. It all just feels a bit samey after a couple of games. For me at least.
  • Rhaegyr 12 Sep 2018 09:33:13 4,633 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Seems a Marmite game - a couple of my mates (and me) love it, two of them absolutely hate it.

Can anyone recommend a good 3 player game that came out this year? Need something for Friday.
  • drhickman1983 12 Sep 2018 09:45:54 5,548 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I rather enjoyed Scythe, it's not a game I've played repeatedly but I've played it a good 4 or 5 times and it's kept me reasonably engaged.

I mostly enjoy how quickly it can rattle along, the action-selection approach means there's been relatively little downtime compared to other comparable games. It's also a game we can play at our regular Tuesday evening as it's not that long, where as a true 4x game like Eclipse pretty much needs a dedicated evening (or entire day if your playing Twilight Imperium...)

Edited by drhickman1983 at 09:47:08 12-09-2018
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2018 09:52:30 28,660 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes from what I understand The Wind Gambit and Rise of Fenris tackle the "same checklist of objectives" problem by adding new Resolutions (game endings)

Then again, shelling out monies to improve a game you're not crazy about to begin with is a big ask. There is a nice clear picture of one of the Resolutions on BGG though.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.