Following Boardgames anyone? Page 308

• Tiger_Uppercut 12 Sep 2018 10:25:34 10 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    I just picked up Fallout Monopoly and Zelda Clue which are both decent.
  • Tonka 12 Sep 2018 11:28:44 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So glad you created an account to share that with us.

(I'll be keeping an eye on you)
  • Gregolution 12 Sep 2018 11:40:27 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    I enjoy Scythe, but I don't love it.

I think it's just that I don't find it very exciting.

I can appreciate the work that's gone in to balance and love the design, but I feel the actual game is just a race down the same checklist of objectives. None of which really have that many different avenues with which to complete them. It all just feels a bit samey after a couple of games. For me at least.
    I totally get that and I think it feels more like that at the start. Once you play more and counter other players and go for really high scores it becomes more interesting IMO.

I think Fenris will take huge steps in changing up how it plays as well, but I'll have to get back to you on that one.
  • Tonka 13 Sep 2018 07:57:45 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'll be playing Lisboa tomorrow at a friends place and had a look at a Gaming Rules! video last night. Oh.. my... gods.

I think Mr Lacerda over reached a little tbh. I'm really looking forward to it but I'd lie if I said I wasn't a bit scared.
  • rice_sandwich 13 Sep 2018 08:18:59 4,872 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I was interested in Lisboa but was ultimately put off by user comments. It seems a bit too much with too many things going on, possibly a little fussy and dry, with a long play time and the box is quite big as far as I recall. Good on paper but less so in real life is my impression. But I'm interested to hear other points of view about it.
  • CrispyLog 13 Sep 2018 21:30:01 122 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Azul must have had a reprint as it's in stock again.
    Worth 35?
  • StarchildHypocrethes 14 Sep 2018 13:37:36 31,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just bought the Fallout Wasteland Warfare starter set. I'm such a sucker.

I love Fallout though and the campaign mode actually sounds quite cool. It'll probably be toss.
  • danathjo 14 Sep 2018 15:26:29 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    So how was Lisboa?
    Got a cheap copy os Seasons today, seems decent but probably won't play it for a week, been playing too much Legendary Marvel.
    Also found a new BG group and friend, makes such a difference playing more than 2 players!
  • danathjo 14 Sep 2018 15:39:16 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    double post

Edited by danathjo at 15:39:42 14-09-2018
  • Tonka 14 Sep 2018 17:07:40 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Haven't played yet. I'm off in an hour...

Will post back tomorrow. If I make it.
  • Gregolution 14 Sep 2018 18:46:49 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    danathjo wrote:
    So how was Lisboa?
    Got a cheap copy os Seasons today, seems decent but probably won't play it for a week, been playing too much Legendary Marvel.
    Also found a new BG group and friend, makes such a difference playing more than 2 players!
    Jealous
  • Tonka 14 Sep 2018 23:39:01 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It was glorious. 4.5 hrs of brainmelting over the top mechanics in layer upon layer.

Pure indulgence by Mr Lacerda.

MAGISTERIAL!

I won by the way. Hugely.
  • Nemesis 15 Sep 2018 11:50:42 19,472 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    CrispyLog wrote:
    Azul must have had a reprint as it's in stock again.
    Worth 35?
    You could probably shave a fiver off that if you look about; MM are 32 at the mo, so do look around.

....and yes.
  • Gregolution 15 Sep 2018 19:10:31 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm starting to enjoy Terraforming mars more now. Feels like its a bit unbalanced and very swingy but still thematically excellent and 'fun' more than clever game design.

Was tempted to sell on but now might buy that colony expansion when it comes out.

Kids love it too and feels good when they play as they're learning some cool science and practicing some maths.
  • Tonka 19 Sep 2018 06:39:07 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    So yeah Lisboa (now that I've calmed down a bit)
    A loved it to bits. It's very similar to The Gallerist in that you always know what you want to do but there are around three different steps that has to precede that want.

Usually there's a thing or two that you must do though, and sometimes those delay the thing you want to do. To make things more tricky there can be ways to get around the musts (like exchanging VPs for Influence or influence for cash.)

So it's a constant flow of actions that you try to steer in the best direction. The board is in constant flux, so it's hard to set up a strategy for the entire game and stick with that. You need to be reactive.

Opportunities might appear or disappear. A player might open you up for a follow action that will deplete your resources if you take it, but on the other hand; only a fool says no to an extra turn. A ship might be built by the player before you, meaning you can ship your goods on that rather than use them to build your own. But is it worth it? It will take a while to produce new goods and a ship is nice to have... but so is money.

The difference between this and the Gallerist is that Lisboa feels like he made one game about rebuilding Lisboa, then he made a second one, then he mashed them together into one huge steaming hulk of a monster game. The Gallerist is more focused and has a theme I personally like better.

Sometimes Lisboa more an experience than a game. Sometimes it's almost too much of a game.

So. Damn. Good.

Edited by Tonka at 08:28:40 19-09-2018
  • Mola_Ram 19 Sep 2018 07:58:17 18,776 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Something that's slightly less of a game (but still bloody good) has been Deception: Murder in Hong Kong. I loathe a lot of party games, but this one is amazing. Easy to learn, great interaction, and terrific fun.

I don't recommend playing with the Witness (and possibly not even the Accomplice) with 6 players, though, even though it says you can in the manual.
  • Tonka 19 Sep 2018 08:25:16 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's one I've been eyeing for a while. But I'm cursed with never getting more than four people to the table (and I think I read that D:MiHK needs at least five to shine) so I've decided to put my money on something else.

(Probably Root. I'm still keen on Root. Gods be damned)
  • CrispyLog 19 Sep 2018 10:05:25 122 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Nemesis

Cheers, my local game shop has it for 33 so I'll probably go for that. Glad to hear it's worth it, looks good but was unsure if it had enough staying power.
  • Nemesis 19 Sep 2018 12:16:52 19,472 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Not every night is a TI4 night though!
  • danathjo 21 Sep 2018 12:19:02 8,135 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Had my first game of El Grande last night. For a game from 1995, it feels surprisingly fresh! Got my ass kicked but still had a great time.

Classic area control, although I still prefer Mission Red Planet in the genre it was nice to try out such a classic.
  • PrivateFloyd 21 Sep 2018 19:35:27 5,156 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone Kickstarted Rock Manor games newest game "Set A Watch"?

Mainly looking at user Gregolution as I know he plays Maximum Apocalyse as well.
  • boo 21 Sep 2018 20:50:00 13,460 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Anyone going to the Tabletop Gaming event at Ally Pally nest weekend?
    I'll be there on Sunday. Currently trawling through games reviews to see if there's anything worth picking up,
  • Gregolution 21 Sep 2018 22:44:50 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    PrivateFloyd wrote:
    Anyone Kickstarted Rock Manor games newest game "Set A Watch"?

Mainly looking at user Gregolution as I know he plays Maximum Apocalyse as well.
    Not sure I like the look of it as much as max apocalypse and I've already got the apocalypse expansion stuff coming.

I did save a reminder for it though... 😁. Might look at a run-through at some point. Probably too many dice for me.
  • Tonka 22 Sep 2018 10:43:48 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @boo where have you been young man?
    There are people worrying about you in the LEGO thread.

Good to see you.
  • Tonka 22 Sep 2018 10:46:35 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    SU&SD Root review has made me lose interest in buying it. Would still love to try it out some day but their cons were pretty off putting.
  • rice_sandwich 22 Sep 2018 11:23:37 4,872 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Got Flamme Rouge and the expansion the other day. Decent first impressions, simple rules and looks to have a decent solo mode too. I'm also enjoying Terraforming Mars in solo mode.
  • Tonka 22 Sep 2018 12:46:52 28,660 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've played Flamme Rouge solo a fair bit and it's a lot of fun. Especially if you string a few races together for a grand tour.

Great game.
  • Ocrovastru 22 Sep 2018 17:36:06 644 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes I got hold of one and a few of the smaller survivor group packs. Love it so far. Bit of a learning curve with all the symbols etc. I play quite a few different systems and found this one a bit stiff to learn. However, once i got my head around it I love it. Actually feels like fallout with all the art design etc. Also, as a bonus the single player 'AI' system is quite smart and surprising!
  • BearFishPie 22 Sep 2018 20:31:44 614 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Weve picked up where we left off in Arkham Horror LCG again - the start of the Path to Carcosa cycle. I find it fascinating how well the mechanics and the theme/story can be knitted together. The second mission of the cycle is a personal high point as far as that aspect of the game is concerned. Ill be interested to see how this arc differs from the flow and structure of Dunwich Horror.
  • Gregolution 23 Sep 2018 17:50:27 9,152 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @BearFishPie

Awesome. I've played so much arkham horror lately. Finished Dunwich campaign and started a new campaign of return to night of the zealot yesterday with a new group.

Looking forward to starting Carcossa soon.

Every mission is so unique and interesting, I find it one of FFG's best games.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.