Boardgames anyone? Page 324

• Gregolution 28 Nov 2018 12:08:52 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FWB yes absolutely. even if you're playing solo you need 2 core really as there are only singles in the core set.
  • Gregolution 28 Nov 2018 12:09:15 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    there's 15% off ebay today. If anyone wants Blackstone Fortress, you can get it for around 65 nicker
  • jagg3r 28 Nov 2018 12:41:40 1,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Thanks to all for the recommendations.
  • Gregolution 28 Nov 2018 13:46:03 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

Third restart for Voracious Goddess lol. Died again last night. /facepalm

It's harsh when you die, but I'm determined not to drop difficulty down to easy. It's a very cool idea for a game, still enjoy it a lot.
  • jagg3r 28 Nov 2018 13:49:08 1,329 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Any recommendations for Zombicide black plaque? Is it easy enough to get in to? Also looking for good dungeon crawlwer type for family. Mice and mystics looks good.

Edited by jagg3r at 13:57:10 28-11-2018
  • Tonka 28 Nov 2018 14:25:47 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution are you taking excessive notes?

I like how the live die repeat loop is kind of baked into the story though. Would have preferred a straight up escape room flavor personally rather than the slowly starving to death

Edited by Tonka at 14:26:14 28-11-2018
  • Gregolution 28 Nov 2018 14:33:40 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @Tonka

no notes, but I really need to start doing that. I'm stupid. I even have the bloody notepad addon /facepalm.

I think i have a good idea of how to do about half way. Keen to start again. It's nice in how it creates a really good optimisation puzzle for you with just cards. Feels very euro in a fantastic theme.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 Nov 2018 15:38:44 31,950 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gregolution What are thoughts on Lords of Hellas? Pretty sure I remember you getting it a while back. Is it any good?
  • Gregolution 28 Nov 2018 15:44:39 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

It's a good game but I don't feel it plays well enough at 2 player. it's one of those games that plays far better at 4 player count which doesn't really suit me so I'm probably going to sell it off once I get my stretch goals box.

I currently have Blackstone Fortress in my ebay basket with the code applied. I haven't clicked buy tho...........
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 Nov 2018 15:55:44 31,950 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hah, I've got the same with a copy of Lords of Hellas...

There's a group of 4 of us who regularly play, and I've been quite tempted by it for ages. I couldn't quite figure out if the win conditions were a bit too gamey or not though. Like the building a statue one.

CyberGreeks though.
  • Gregolution 28 Nov 2018 16:00:02 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

If you've got a group of 4 I'd recommend it. It doesn't play overly long, it's an excellent area control game. you have to constantly keep an eye on what everyone is doing, the multiple win conditions are done very well.

I quite like Awaken Realms games tbh. They feel a bit like a new Games Workshop with some more modern game design ideas perhaps. They're a large company now, I think 80+ employees.

I've got Nemesis coming any day, backed The Edge Dawnfall Warchest and will 100% be backing Tainted Grail on Dec 5th.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 Nov 2018 16:15:23 31,950 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers for that. The Buy button is so tantalisingly close...
  • Gregolution 28 Nov 2018 16:24:42 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    haha. I think I'm going to resist. I've absolutely got more than enough games! So many coming as well, and lots with minis.....

If I buy another Dungeon Crawler it's only going to be competing with games I love like Sword and Sorcery and Gloomhaven anyway.

Claustrophobia in January should be a fun minis dice chucker too :)
  • Tonka 28 Nov 2018 16:41:45 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Project elite was Tom Vassels number one game of all time this year.

Anyone late pledging?
  • Gregolution 28 Nov 2018 17:07:45 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Project elite was Tom Vassels number one game of all time this year.

Anyone late pledging?
    I don't really like Tom Vassel or pay much attention to what he says. Not sure why he's popular.

That said, i think you should buy it @Tonka ! and tell us what it's like :)

Edited by Gregolution at 17:17:27 28-11-2018
  • Gregolution 28 Nov 2018 17:40:26 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes one question about blackstone. it seems you do encounters... drawn from a deck. What's to stop you playing one encounter and then packing up and playing another next time?

ie: is it possible to play this game in small chunks? that would be quite a cool thing for a dungeon crawler....
  • StarchildHypocrethes 28 Nov 2018 18:26:37 31,950 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You get a bunch of fancy themed ziploc bags that are specifically for housing character cards and tokens and one for the encounter deck, so they can be later out when you play again.
  • Tonka 28 Nov 2018 19:07:51 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Gregolution I'm busy teaching myself Regex so that I can make a legible Three Kingdoms Redux card companion in Black and White.

I've been full circle with Tom Vassel. I now think he's one of the best reviewers.

Speaking of which, I recently started watching Of the shelf Boardgame reviews (that's the name of the channel) very detailed and extremely nerdy.

Then I found another channel called Bottom shelf boardgames that do quick but excellent reviews.
  • FWB 28 Nov 2018 23:22:54 55,277 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @FWB yes absolutely. even if you're playing solo you need 2 core really as there are only singles in the core set.
    Not sure they are necessary though. We're playing opposite characters and managing very well with the extra cards from the expansions. You don't NEED duplicates of the class cards in the core - the neutrals do have a few copies.
  • Mola_Ram 29 Nov 2018 02:01:18 18,925 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I saw the top 100 Dice Tower video. I like Tom Vassel, and his tastes are closer to mine than that of his co-presenters. But as far as Project Elite goes, it lost me when it had "real-time" in the description. Don't like those kinds of games.
  • Tonka 29 Nov 2018 07:51:10 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I also find that Toms tastes are the ones that are closest to mine. But I really like how varied their tastes are. Zee had sooo many games I've never even heard of.
  • ZuluHero 1 Dec 2018 00:23:20 6,809 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Played Blackstone Fortress tonight and I have to say I enjoyed it. We did 3 floors and a random encounter before one of us died. We played the best number of players, i.e 4, so the person who died took over the overlord role. The dice rolling wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I can still imagine it being tiresome with less players and also harder to keep track of everything.

Game setup wasn't too bas either, even switching between floors. Not sure if the core loop will get tiring eventually, I.e, get to floor, reach tokens, search then get to lift all the while fighting but we'll see.

I quite liked that health was linked to the number of dice you could roll, meaning as you took wounds the less dice you had. Quite neat.

We actually plan to go back in, so have a legacy card drawn and we put our characters in the little player bags to carry on. Obviously the character who died is out so that player will have to go in with a new adventurer.

All in all a surprise and looking forward to playing again.
  • Gregolution 1 Dec 2018 08:03:13 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @ZuluHero

I find that reinforcement rule a tad lazy. Every squad can return to full health every turn. It's a bit ... Weird. I would find it frustrating
  • ZuluHero 1 Dec 2018 11:30:28 6,809 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dunno the roll table is quite lienent, we only faced small enemies so the roll was low on a D20. We only had reinforcements 3 times in the whole game.
  • Gregolution 3 Dec 2018 10:10:36 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Ahhhh what to do. My first day off in Dec.... House to myself...😜

Maybe too many bones. Or 7th Continent. Tough decisions
  • Bleh 3 Dec 2018 11:23:42 328 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If you like it tough than I would say Too many bones ;). Although I don't know about the difficulty of 7th Continent.

Enjoy your day.

Edited by Bleh at 11:24:26 03-12-2018
  • McGeeza 3 Dec 2018 12:14:29 1,924 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gregolution It's supposed to be brutal and desperate though.

True that if you were unlucky enough to draw 2 x 7 traitor guardsman and 4 Ur-ghuls and then kept rolling 1 or 2 on a D20 every turn for them would be fucking annoying but in reality it doesn't happen too much.

And actually works well to maintain a sense of urgency. Do you hang around and go for the remaining discovery point or GTFO before someone dies?
  • McGeeza 3 Dec 2018 12:18:10 1,924 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    ZuluHero wrote:
    Played Blackstone Fortress tonight and I have to say I enjoyed it. We did 3 floors and a random encounter before one of us died. We played the best number of players, i.e 4, so the person who died took over the overlord role. The dice rolling wasn't as bad as I was expecting, but I can still imagine it being tiresome with less players and also harder to keep track of everything.
    We played 3 on our only outing so far and it wasn't too much faff passing the 4th character around each round. We will hopefully have 4 players for the next session though.

I like how the game makes it very easy for players to drop in/out. I do have the same longevity concern as you though, but the combat encounters we have done so far have been a lot of fun.
  • Gregolution 3 Dec 2018 12:56:15 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @McGeeza

I suppose. It just seems like such a cheap way to do it. It's so easy to throw that into a game. Takes no thought or careful balancing. It feels old fashioned and simplistic to me
  • McGeeza 3 Dec 2018 13:36:17 1,924 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @Gregolution What would you do for reinforcements?

I've not played Gloomhaven et al so not sure what the current trend is.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.