Following Boardgames anyone? Page 326

• Mola_Ram 6 Dec 2018 09:21:47 18,925 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I mean, look at Scythe. That's a lovely-looking game, and it knows it. There's even a rule in the manual that says you have to show the art of the encounter cards to everyone before reading the text.
  • danathjo 6 Dec 2018 10:29:22 8,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I have Scythe waiting for me under the tree (well in the cupboard waiting to be wrapped). Can't wait to play it, I just hope I like it. I know I said I wouldn't get it but it was almost half price on Amazon black Friday sooo...

Regarding TfM expansions, i'd recommend any of them except Venus Next. I think that added more just for the sake of it, way too fiddly for my taste. The prelude cards are easy to add to the start of a game.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Dec 2018 10:31:18 18,925 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yeah, venus is probably my least favourite (though I still usually play with it). Prelude is great, really speeds up the game.
  • Nemesis 6 Dec 2018 11:06:42 19,481 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I know you're all on the edge of your seats waiting for the update, but to put you out of your misery I built the Kallax and it's rather spiffy.

Celebratory cup of tea and a slice of toast, followed by placing a few games in there just to see how it is. Yep. That'll do nicely.

That was only the 2x4, fuck off putting the bigger ones together.

In other news, the 3rd AP for LOTR has just gone live on Chaos if you're collecting the Ered Mithrin cycle.
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2018 11:32:33 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I like how the Kallax has become the inofficial boardgame storage unit of choice. I even saw a video of some mad hatter comparing htree different IKEA shelves and their benefits.

iirc he ended up saying "Just get the Kallax"

Terraforming Mars has become something of a bad conscience for me. I'm sure I'd enjoy it but man those brushed aluminum cards... It's also made by a swede so I'd like to suport it (not that he needs my support seeing how well it's selling) but UUGGHHH at the graphics on those cards.

Then On Mars was announced and I can't wait to put my money on that.
  • Nemesis 6 Dec 2018 12:38:23 19,481 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well I've got everything in it with room to spare. Word to the wise, the wicker baskets they sell smell bloody awful; like a cat's had an accident on straw or something. So...maybe don't buy those!

They're off to the bins!

I keep looking at TM, because, dogs.
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2018 13:59:09 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Spray them with a fine mist of white vinegar.
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2018 13:59:39 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Not the dogs.. the baskets.
  • Nemesis 6 Dec 2018 14:20:56 19,481 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Too late; they're gone now!

I did a few things and, you know, I think I'll just put that down to experience.
  • Gregolution 6 Dec 2018 17:45:04 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    StarchildHypocrethes wrote:
    Terra Mystica looks like a well designed 'game' but also veeeeeeery dry.

It's the best game I've ever played. Takes your brains to insane places. Absolutely phenomenal game design imo.

(Agree it's dry though. But once you've played it 5-6 times the excitement is in the strategy which is absolutely top notch and its hugely interactive for a euro)

Edited by Gregolution at 17:51:28 06-12-2018
  • Gregolution 6 Dec 2018 17:47:54 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    This is going to seem pretty shallow, but I really do enjoy a board game more when it looks nice.

It's my only big complaint about (to use another example) Terraforming Mars. It's a great game, but man it looks cheap.
    I totally understand that. I actually love the nice wooden pieces of Mystica but also find Mars fugly.
  • Tonka 6 Dec 2018 19:36:04 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I'm not too fond of the recent "let's print on our profiled wooden pieces" trend.

It can be gorgeous (see Root) but most times it looks like the loading dock of a run down strip mall at four in the afternoon on a rainy November day. Plastered with Trump posters. With poorly kerned inspirational quotes set in papyrus on them. Freaked by seventies furniture. With cigarette burns.

Take the recent component "upgrade" of Escape Plan. Those bikers.... Or the different police meeples or the player meeples.

🤮
  • MikeP 6 Dec 2018 20:53:39 2,892 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I went to Dragonmeet last weekend - first time at the convention, and it was good fun.

Bought a few bits and pieces, on a whim I picked up Sushi Go! because it was pocket-money pricing and also it looks like a fun game for the pub. And I'm pretty sure some of you were recommending it about 30 pages back.

Edited by MikeP at 20:53:49 06-12-2018
  • Gregolution 7 Dec 2018 10:28:01 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Well, I've spent enough time over the last 6 months debating games I love like Mystica and Gaia Project and Race for the Galaxy with people that (understandably) think they're too dry.... so now time for something completely different :

Nemesis is bloody awesome. I'm quite surprised at how well it works. They've managed to perfectly make Alien The board game.

It's quite complicated, especially compared to Dead of Winter as every single room has a specific function but it's very clever and fun. Possibly the most thematic game I've ever played.

Dying to play it again, but also knackered as I was up late... failing to escape the ship!
  • Tonka 7 Dec 2018 13:17:49 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Race for the Galaxy dry? WTF!? I've only ever played the app though.

Speaking of cardgames and Alien the boardgame... has anyone played Burke's Gambit? It must have gotten a re-print because I see it in game stores a lot recently.
  • FWB 7 Dec 2018 17:12:49 55,277 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Railroad Ink - despite the lack of player interaction - is a nice little puzzle game to pick up. Easy access and can play while doing other things.
  • docrob 7 Dec 2018 23:16:18 1,040 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I want to get a game for my wife, but we have a cupboard full of complex games with hundreds of pieces. Can anyone recommend something fairly small and simple for an Xmas gift? A 2-player game would be a bonus, but not essential.

(We already have Carcassonne, Hive, Dobble, Love Letter and Citadels)
  • AaronTurner 8 Dec 2018 00:46:27 10,196 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    We really enjoy Splendor. The box is actually quite big but there is bugger all inside, a deck of cards, a few card chits and some plastic discs. It's simple but it's deep and it you can really mess with the other player.

Edited by AaronTurner at 00:46:42 08-12-2018
  • FWB 8 Dec 2018 08:09:25 55,277 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    docrob wrote:
    I want to get a game for my wife, but we have a cupboard full of complex games with hundreds of pieces. Can anyone recommend something fairly small and simple for an Xmas gift? A 2-player game would be a bonus, but not essential.

(We already have Carcassonne, Hive, Dobble, Love Letter and Citadels)
    See post above yours.

Edited by FWB at 08:09:40 08-12-2018
  • Tonka 8 Dec 2018 20:45:39 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Century Spice Road, patchworks, The Gallerist.
  • ZuluHero 8 Dec 2018 21:29:18 6,809 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I prefer Century Golum which is essentially the same game as Spice Road but with nicer art and gem pieces.
  • Tonka 8 Dec 2018 22:11:15 28,767 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Onitama
  • FWB 9 Dec 2018 00:20:54 55,277 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    So finished our first Arhkam Horror Mythos pack... Fun and different as usual, but surprised that it's only one scenario in there. I guess it is still only the price of two pints but still...

Went relatively smoothly - aside from doors constantly getting locked - which makes me think we messed up with the rules somewhere as usually get canned and at best barely escape with our lives. Or maybe just the luck of the cards.
  • rice_sandwich 9 Dec 2018 07:42:16 4,910 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    @docrob

Patchwork. Simple rules but nicely replayable.

Edited by rice_sandwich at 07:42:45 09-12-2018
  • Mola_Ram 9 Dec 2018 09:30:23 18,925 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think you can play Azul with 2 players. That's a lovely game.
  • Gregolution 9 Dec 2018 09:34:05 9,205 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @FWB

yeah when you think of it in terms of a lunch or a couple of pints it's really not that expensive. 2 hours or more of entertainment, you can play it multiple times... it's decent value for money.

Was that the first Dunwich mythos pack? If I were you and you can afford it, I'd get all the mythos packs and the Return to Dunwich box which comes out soon. That makes the campaign a bit tougher, more variation every time you play it and also gives you a handy storage box with dividers.
  • danathjo 9 Dec 2018 10:36:58 8,147 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Came back from my very first board game con just earlier, Meeplecon which is a smallish one in Melbourne. Had such a great time with like minded people, kind of wish I had the time for all three days but today was awesome getting 3 games in of Cryptid, Reykholt and Sidereal Confluence.

Cryptid was just won (kind of co-op but with one overall winner) and a fantastic puzzle, think you can get it quit cheap too through Ospray/book depository. then Sidereal Confluence 7 player which was probably the best board game experience i've ever had! 2 1/2 hours of constant haggling and space trading, just missed out on the win but wow! If you ever get the chance...it doesn't look like much and you will definitely need at least one person that knows what they're doing and of course the right kind of group (bigger the better). With all these elements it really shines and so much fun!

And while i've wanted to play the new Uwe (Reykholt) just because, while pleasant enough there's not really enough for a purchase. It's all a bit meh, worth a play but that's it.

Overall a successful day :)

Just need to get more games out at home with the wife as i've been craving a 2 player game of Grand Austria Hotel for weeks now!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.