Following Boardgames anyone? Page 333

• danathjo 5 Jan 2019 07:34:15 8,191 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Heard mixed things a bout WL but really enjoyed Auz even if we got our arses kicked!

Will take a while to get a good tactic but as it's still such goofy fun, losing is still enjoyable. Very different to anything else too!
  • Tonka 5 Jan 2019 09:02:02 29,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We got lucky with the tile placements in AuZtralia and won rather easily. Really slick mechanics over all. After the initial "getting to grips with a new game" phase was done turns flew past.

Which was in stark contrast to WL. I guess it's hard to avoid due to its sandbox nature but jeeeeesus what a fiddly game. I've never consulted a rules book with such regularity

We did have some really funny moments though and it's an interesting game. Very different to the games we usually play as well. But it's not one I'd bring to the table over Scythe, or Lisboa, or GWT or a bunch of other games we have.

But it's more of a mismatch between the game and my group rather than a bad game
  • danathjo 5 Jan 2019 11:18:55 8,191 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Our major downfall was not uncovering enough old ones in the far corner and then of course the old ones scoring double points for each uncovered tile.
  • Tonka 5 Jan 2019 12:18:21 29,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I had my train running straight up there and I was going all in on war. Had a really nice combo of personality cards that made me almost too powerful.

Ended up tied for first place points wise but with more elder kills.

I liked it's semi co-op style and the mix of war and train game. A really cool game.
  • Gregolution 6 Jan 2019 09:38:21 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    I enjoyed AuZtralia. Western Legends not so much.
    That's too bad. Thought you were looking forward to that for a while?
  • Tonka 6 Jan 2019 11:02:57 29,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I was, and I shouldn't be too hard on it after one play. It has a rather steep learning curve that bogs it down. But it's not a thinky game, like Lisboa, where you get a nice buzz from trying to get to grips with it. WL needs to move along at a quick pace to shine, and it did do that after an hour and a half.

But due to its sprawling nature there are too many rules and exceptions to memorize.

Alas, once you know all the different rewards for all the different actions there's a lot of fun to have.

It's a very different game to the ones I'm usually playing. Confrontational, light hearted, open ended and suuuuuuper focused on creating funny moments and conveying theme.
  • Tonka 6 Jan 2019 21:23:19 29,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Sweet Jesus. 2019 seems hell-bent on making me break my resolution not to buy more games.

Just when I decided that I'll skip wingspan due to the draw cards from a deck mechanic, that will end up with me knowing of cool combos but not getting them, just like in Race for the Galaxy (that nearly drove me insane because I kept playing it in the hopes of getting that perfect combo I knew of)

THEY RELEASE A BOARDGAME VERSION OF RACE FOR THE GALAXY!

Damn.

And then I see that the On Mars Kickstarter will be going off whilst I'm in China! Possibly behind some firewall.

Gods damned!
  • Gregolution 6 Jan 2019 21:49:52 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka

Yeah RFTG the board game looks interesting. I'm too invested in both learning and money in the card game now though. I've just added rebel v imperium today and it's again getting better.

It's a fantastic game. The cards are a bit heavier than the board but look very similar. It should be easier to learn too.
  • BearFishPie 7 Jan 2019 08:24:03 680 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Given how much we enjoy Jump Drive and Roll for the Galaxy in our household, Iím very keen on this new one in principle. And playing Race one of these days, too, natch.
  • rice_sandwich 7 Jan 2019 08:43:36 5,492 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm toying with reducing my collection by at least 50% (from about 60 games to under 30). My wife has been doing a lot of decluttering and it occurred to me that I probably wouldn't replace the majority of my collection if it was somehow lost/damaged. There might be only a dozen essential keepers in there.

On the other hand games often go permanently out of print so there's a chance that downsizing is a mistake for certain games. But...it's also true that some games in my collection have replaced others due to similar mechanics e.g. Grand Austria Hotel pretty much kills Signorie, as it's a better implementation of dice drafting.
  • Tonka 7 Jan 2019 11:38:04 29,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I'm also thinking about selling some games. It just feels like a hassle to do. The biggest online marketplace in Sweden doesn't have many boardgames and I'm also not too keen on shipping.

Since I'm living in a small town the market for people people willing to come and pick the games up isn't overwhelming.

Samurai Spirits, Concordia and 7th Continent are all games I feel I could get rid of without missing.
  • Gregolution 7 Jan 2019 13:08:26 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    7th continent!!! How double dare you! 😁

Ive sold quite a few games. Facebook or bgg or eBay.

Got my collection down to 31. With various KS this year I guess it will hit closer to 40 but want to keep it around that number indefinitely.

I'll sell things as soon as they don't see enough play.
  • Technoishmatt 7 Jan 2019 13:10:38 3,412 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Got Codenames to play over New Year, it is a pretty ace word play game. Simple rules, lots of replayability. Was a big hit.
  • splosh 7 Jan 2019 13:38:50 296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Has anyone here picked up Blackstone Fortress? How is for people who havenít played any Warhammer? My gf recently has gotten into board games and painting and I was wondering if
    (A) The miniatures are pre-painted
    (B) the rules are complex
    Sheís played Scythe and found it easy enough to grasp but English isnít her native language
    (C) itís fun
    (D) Can be played with 2 people

Any help would be appreciated.
  • StarchildHypocrethes 7 Jan 2019 14:32:49 32,229 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A) No they're not.
    B) Not particularly. Easy compared to Scythe.
    C) Yes. Verily.
    D) Yes, but you'll have to control 2 heroes each.
  • Tonka 7 Jan 2019 14:43:18 29,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It's the last day of the School holiday here in Sweden and I'm home with my two sons and one of their friends (ages 6, 8 & 8)

First they paid Outfoxed which is a brilliant kids game and then we had two games of Forbidden Island together. Such a good game. Perfect training for Pandemic I think.

The eight year olds managed on their own and my six year old was happy to be part of the team and get some suggestions on what to do.

A few more years and I'll be battling them in Three Kingdoms Redux.
    👻🥞
  • Lisaland 7 Jan 2019 14:47:10 1 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Is connect 4 a board game?

I think I might have misunderstood the question.
  • Dougs 7 Jan 2019 14:52:40 89,259 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    Got Codenames to play over New Year, it is a pretty ace word play game. Simple rules, lots of replayability. Was a big hit.
    \o/ After my post the other day, I picked up a copy. Looking forward to introducing a few more people to it
  • tonyferrino 7 Jan 2019 15:26:05 316 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Just picked up Pandemic: Fall of Rome after seeing the gushing reviews in the end-of-year lists. Really looking forward to getting a play in, but I doubt I will before I go on holiday in a few days. It looks like it has some limited Dawn of the Zeds type lane control on top of the old-school Pandemic gameplay, cool if that's how it plays as I love both.

After that, 1066 Tears to Many Mothers is next up. Quite looking forward to getting back from holibobs to be honest!
  • splosh 7 Jan 2019 16:10:55 296 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

Thanks very much kind sir. I will name a hero after you.
  • FWB 7 Jan 2019 16:17:54 55,920 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    AH: Dunwich Legacy Part 4 Blood on the Altar completed yesterday. And completely lucked out, pretty much acing the scenario, losing only Whatley. We looked dead and buried near the end but I managed to evade a horde or enemies and chuck TNT at them, wiping them all out. A couple of them were these guys much meant the final clues we had abandoned to escape a few nasties got picked up. The end result being that as I quickly ran into the hidden room and encountered the "boss", we'd actually nabbed all the clues in the scenario to subdue it and thus jumped straight to the ending. Jammy.

Really liked the kidnapping element in that scenario - though it never hit one of our allies.
  • Tonka 7 Jan 2019 18:30:02 29,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    tonyferrino wrote:
    It looks like it has some limited Dawn of the Zeds type lane control
    Dawn of the Zeds is one of the hashes I keep forgetting that I want. I keep missing the Kickstarters and it's rather pricey. But it looks like it could be a lot of fun solo.
  • Gregolution 7 Jan 2019 20:07:58 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FWB

When we did that one , we lost Ashcan Pete's dog! rofl
  • FWB 7 Jan 2019 20:18:45 55,920 posts
    Seen 47 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Awww.

Was very tempted to read what happens if you have the Necronomicon - since we'd burned it in the museum - but will save that for another run through. We're now tooled up with assistants and a ton of experience, though I'm sure something nasty will happen to them.
  • PazJohnMitch 7 Jan 2019 21:39:45 14,472 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    Technoishmatt wrote:
    \o/ After my post the other day, I picked up a copy. Looking forward to introducing a few more people to it
    I like code names but most people seem to tire of it pretty quickly. There is a picture version of it too.
  • Dougs 7 Jan 2019 22:18:12 89,259 posts
    Seen 42 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I doubt it'll hold up to a weekly play etc but given I only tend to get a chance to play every month or two, it shouldn't be a problem to roll it out 3 or 4 times a year!
  • drhickman1983 7 Jan 2019 22:19:48 5,906 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I like Codenames, but think the similairish Decrypto is better. It plays quicker, and perhaps less AP.
  • Gregolution 8 Jan 2019 22:34:20 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FWB

Finally opened my Forgotten age cards. What a great cycle for player cards! Some really incredible stuff in there.

Love this game. I'm going to focus a lot on it this year.
  • Gregolution 9 Jan 2019 10:10:33 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    It's the last day of the School holiday here in Sweden and I'm home with my two sons and one of their friends (ages 6, 8 & 8)
    Do you own Terraforming Mars? It's so easy to learn, you might be surprised if you tried introducing it to your kids.

I play it with my 2 boys all the time aged 6 and 10. I thought it would be way beyond the 6 year old, but he says it's his favourite game.

He learns a lot about space at school so often sprouts interesting facts about a planet or a moon that I have no idea about.
  • Tonka 9 Jan 2019 19:04:46 29,543 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Isn't there a lot of text on the cards? My sons English just isn't there yet.

Lords of Waterdeep works of we skip the intrigue (?) cards and just play with adventures because the iconography is so clear.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.