• Gregolution 9 Jan 2019 20:39:24 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Tonka

Ah yeah didn't think of second language issue. fair enough
  • Tonka 10 Jan 2019 07:01:27 29,543 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The language barrier is a constant mild annoyance. I'd really like to play some cool games with them but then I'd had to translate cards and flavourtext all the time. Near and Far springs to mind.

On a different note.

I taught myself Three Kingdoms Redux by playing it against myself for a few hours. Really nice mashup of worker placement, engine building, bidding and area control.

With variable player powers and multiple paths to victory.

All in a really tight design that is suuuuuper thematic. I'm burning through the 2010 Three Kingdoms tv series on YouTube at the moment and it's a delight to see how well they've managed to translate it into a boardgame that isn't dudes on a map (although there is a tiny bit of it that is kind of dudes on a map-ish)

Surprised there isn't more buzz around this game. I guess the fact that you have to be exactly three players (no more, no less) narrows its chances to get to the table and that that in turn kills the buzz.

But I can't wait for one of my regulars to cancel at last moment so that the rest of us gets to put this absolute marvel on the table.
  • McGeeza 11 Jan 2019 23:16:24 1,963 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Question for those who have played Arkham Horror The Card Game. Was thinking of getting this to play with the missus. Sheís not a gamer but enjoys some lighter games and Sherlock Holmes CD. Would this work or will it be too Ďgeekyí?
  • BearFishPie 12 Jan 2019 10:05:30 680 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @McGeeza It very much will depend on how much the Lovecraftian horror theme appeals to her, I suspect. Itís much more overtly a game than the likes of Sherlock Holmes, involves a fair bit of understanding keywords and the mechanics of play can be a tad fiddly. That and itís pretty challenging, so you have to be okay with getting your arses handed to you once in a while.

I enjoy it an awful lot, and being a cooperative experience means the focus can be more readily cast on the story told by the game (both the as-designed and emergent) if the mechanical side of the game is off putting to her.

I suspect its resale value is decent enough in any case to be worth giving the core set a punt. Just be mindful that if you do end up wanting to play more it doesnít inherently hold much replay value, and expansions are effectively mandatory.
  • Gregolution 12 Jan 2019 10:07:43 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @McGeeza

Hey mate. Arkham Horror LCG was the very first nerdy game I tried to get my wife to play and we're still playing it today ( in fact we played last night and I came on here to post about how fun it was ).

It does have a fair number of rules and a lot of tactics but both being fan of horror films it was a really good fit and she instantly loved it. I think the first time she grabbed a baseball bat and swung at an enemy on me , missing and cracking me one on the noggin she was instantly hooked!

It's only about 20 quid to give it a try with one core box. Use the suggested decks in the rules and have a go. If she does like it though, i'd strongly suggest getting hold of a whole cycle of cards like Dunwich and a second core to give yourself a good base of cards and loads of scenarios to play. It can get expensive fairly quickly but it's a great game worth every penny IMHO.

I had such a good night in after a long week of work. Bottle of wine and laughs at the table with my wife. Can't beat it.
  • Gregolution 12 Jan 2019 10:13:04 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    BearFishPie wrote:
    just be mindful that if you do end up wanting to play more it doesnít inherently hold much replay value
    I agree with everything else but not so much this. I think replaying missions is really fun with different characters / different difficulties etc. They've also got better at making each play quite variable with randomly selected versions of rooms and the new Return to *campaign* box sets add even more variability to each campaign.

It really feels to me like they learned loads from both LOTR and Netrunner and made a brilliant game with that knowledge. I'm a big fan! 38 plays as of yesterday and I like it more than ever tbh.

Edited by Gregolution at 10:13:31 12-01-2019
  • Nemesis 12 Jan 2019 10:28:53 19,518 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    ...plus itís a ton easier to get AH than LOTR at the moment.

*grumbles*

Iíd agree with Gregsí; AH has less phases compared to LOTR and isnít that hard to get into. I would recommend watching the FF tutorial video if youíve never played their stuff before as that really helped.

AH does a lot with only a few cards; the core box walks you through some neat scenarios and helps you with preset deck lists. Plus as you work through the story you gain XP and can Ďbuyí cards to put in your deck and build up the cards you use. Also, the decks are much smaller so thereís less to manage.

I realy like it. Iíve taken 3 people through the first adventure and itís been universally loved. Plus there is solo if you canít get anyone join in.

Iíve just shelled out on the next story Cycle (Dunwich) which will keep me occupied for a long old time. Itís quite the spend, so do shop around as a few quid saved per box soon adds up.

Edited by Nemesis at 10:30:18 12-01-2019
  • Gregolution 12 Jan 2019 10:40:43 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @Nemesis

What do you think of the play versus LOTR? I find Arkham basically an improved LOTR model. I ended up selling off my LOTR collection.

Feels to me like LOTR is more of a deck building game. You build a deck for a scenario and then see if you can beat it but the game play is more on auto pilot. There aren't nearly as many choices in LOTR. Most decisions are fairly obvious.

With Arkham you have 3 'clicks' per turn which you can use for many different things:

Move
    Draw a card
    Gain a resource
    Play a card
    Engage an enemy
    Evade an enemy
    Attack

With LOTR you only have play a card. You need to draw a card which gives you card draw to make that decision. It feels a lot less dynamic because of that.

The move to location is very abstract in LOTR. You're not building a map and moving around it, you're only picking a location card you want to get off the threat area.

Maybe it gets better later on in LOTR but That's what I felt from 20 plays with the cards I had.
  • Nemesis 12 Jan 2019 11:29:51 19,518 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I would see AH as the evolution of the LOTR system; less phases, locations are neater and make more sense, narrative driven and a campaign system with XP to guide the deck builds as you go.

If i had to pick one for co-op AH each time. LOTR is a weird system and takes a while to get into and, realistically, youíre rebuilding decks to beat scenarios quite often. I play LOTR solo and thatís perfect for me. However the re-prints are a nightmare and you can wait a year plus for some of it. If not longer. So yeah.
  • McGeeza 12 Jan 2019 17:23:17 1,963 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cheers chaps. Lovely stuff.

I am familiar with FFGs style, so rules wonít be a problem, plus Iíll be taking care of that side of things.

Sheís not a horror fan though (which is a shame as I adore the mythos stuff) but she does like murder mystery, so I may get away with it. Iím not a solo gamer normally but the fact that I can play through it anyway is a bonus if she doesnít like it. Core set ordered!
  • FWB 12 Jan 2019 17:55:36 55,920 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Well I've been raving about it so can't recommend it enough; play it with the GF. I'd also say that there is replayability cos of the different avenues you can take, randomised cards/setups and different investigators.

I disagree that you need more than one core if it's two of you playing. You really don't as you'll want be different kinds of investigators to compliment each other. More than that, yes.

I'm not a horror fan either btw.

Edited by FWB at 18:02:00 12-01-2019
  • StarchildHypocrethes 12 Jan 2019 18:08:52 32,229 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've got xmas Amazon vouchers burning a hole in my pocket. I need a new toy.

Choices are:

- Guards of Atlantis
    - Fire in the Lake
    - Trickerion
    - Anachrony

Sway me.
  • BearFishPie 12 Jan 2019 18:31:35 680 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Gregolution Yes, I probably sounded more dismissive of the core set than I had intended to. Thereís certainly fun to be had in trying different characters/decks and replaying those first three scenarios, though playing at two would limit which investigators can be fielded simultaneously using one copy of the core set. I do think youíd hit a point where you really want to move on to the Dunwich cycle pretty quickly however - probably after a couple of runs through the starting campaign.

Thatís as long as it took for us to start hoovering up the expansions, at least. Iíve not picked up Return to the Night of the Zealot yet, but isnít it intended more as a post-Dunwich thing rather than a next step after the core set?
  • FWB 12 Jan 2019 18:43:25 55,920 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    It is. Need to do Dunwich first. Finally got the last pack so now have them all for it. Thinking about it, I've* spent about 130 quid on this game now.

Btw, if it wasn't clear, while the narrative is about solving mysteries and there are story choices to be made as well as different ones that will happen depending on how you do, it isn't a deduction game. It's an RPGesque tactical card game. Of course that means you are completing "puzzles" by trying to work out what cards to play, and where to move to, but it's not like a murder mystery.

*Well a few were gifts.

Edited by FWB at 18:47:32 12-01-2019
  • Gregolution 12 Jan 2019 18:44:50 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:

I disagree that you need more than one core if it's two of you playing. You really don't as you'll want be different kinds of investigators to compliment each other. More than that, yes.

It's not to do with making 2 decks of the same or different colours.

The problem with 1 core is it's all singles so if you want consistent decks you need 2 cores. Everything after core comes in sets of 2 so you're fine after that.
  • Gregolution 12 Jan 2019 18:45:49 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @BearFishPie

Yeah it is. And agreed you will be wanting Dunwich fairly quickly after the core.
  • FWB 12 Jan 2019 18:48:50 55,920 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    FWB wrote:

It's not to do with making 2 decks of the same or different colours.

The problem with 1 core is it's all singles so if you want consistent decks you need 2 cores. Everything after core comes in sets of 2 so you're fine after that.
    The neturals have multiple copies for standard cards. If you are playing two very different investigators - like we have been - you aren't going near each others' class cards. We really didn't have any problems over who got what.

Edited by FWB at 18:51:23 12-01-2019
  • Gregolution 12 Jan 2019 20:18:09 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FWB

But it's just down to not being able to put duplicates of the coloured cards in to a deck. That's the issue. Even if you're only playing solo, your deck won't be very good with singles of all the coloured cards. That's why you need 2 core sets.
  • Tonka 12 Jan 2019 20:29:16 29,543 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @StarchildHypocrethes

I haven't done much reading up on any of them. COIN is cool though but Fire in the Lake send a bit daunting. Anachrony looks interesting and different. The other two I've never heard of.
  • FWB 13 Jan 2019 00:49:42 55,920 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Gregolution wrote:
    @FWB

But it's just down to not being able to put duplicates of the coloured cards in to a deck. That's the issue. Even if you're only playing solo, your deck won't be very good with singles of all the coloured cards. That's why you need 2 core sets.
    Been fine for me so far. :)
  • McGeeza 13 Jan 2019 01:00:20 1,963 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @FWB

Ah thatís a shame. Not sure if itís going to hold her interest if there are no mysteries to solve. Iíll give it a go though, you never know.
  • FWB 13 Jan 2019 01:04:12 55,920 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Maybe watch a play through online... tho that will give you spoilers. At least watch the FFG how-to-play vid.

Do remember that it is okay to fail a scenario. That has its own individual consequences that affect your on-going narrative.
  • Gregolution 13 Jan 2019 09:55:14 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    FWB wrote:
    Gregolution wrote:
    @FWB

Been fine for me so far. :)
    I'm not sure it has :p , didn't you fail the express mission quite a few times? :D

You can have loads of fun in the game with one core, I'm just saying that your decks will be alot more consistent and efficient with 2. There are some critical cards in the core set and 1 ofs in a deck make it too dependant on luck of the draw.
  • Gregolution 13 Jan 2019 09:57:38 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I don't know if anyone else has it but I'm absolutely loving Slay the Spire. Picked it up in the steam sale, it's bloody good.
  • FWB 13 Jan 2019 10:27:51 55,920 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Gregolution

Aye and then read online that it has a really high fail rate and you need to luck out with on it, so don't think the deck was the issue.

Done very well on these rest.
  • Gregolution 13 Jan 2019 10:46:23 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @FWB

I was only joking with you mate. We died quick on our first attempt too.

There's no denying a deck will be more consistent with duplicates though, that's why most people that play arkham end up buying 2 core sets. I got away without doing it for ages, but eventually succumbed.

Also helps if you want to have a few decks going at the same time. Im supplying cards for the whole family AND have a few campaigns going so it's nice to have a few extras ;)
  • FWB 13 Jan 2019 10:57:04 55,920 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Oh I am sure it is very handy and gives more options, was just saying that I don't think it's essential. If you are picking the game up for the first time I wouldn't go straight for two cores: best are expansions.
  • Gregolution 13 Jan 2019 11:03:05 9,367 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    yeah fair point, agreed.
  • BearFishPie 13 Jan 2019 11:40:49 680 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím in agreement here too - I initially found it frustrating not being able to field every possible combination of core set investigators - particularly after finding a single copy of the Netrunner core set has so much flexibility - but the additions to the card pool that have come with each expansion have smoothed over most of my deck building problems.

It probably helps that Mrs. Pie and I go for complementary builds - sheís usually Daisy Walker and I tend to go for either Guardian or Rogue builds, so crossover isnít too great an issue. Weíre three scenarios deep into Carcosa now, and Iíve got the rest of that cycle and 2/3 of Forgotten Age queued up afterwards. The sheer range of experience the designers have been able to draw from the mechanics is incredible, with the theme/mechanism merging in Essex being my stand out favourite so far.
  • BearFishPie 13 Jan 2019 11:46:26 680 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím still only rocking one core set, by the bye - and the urge to pick up a second gets less powerful each time I play. I think itís the sheer proportion of the cards in the second copy that are redundant as theyíre not used for player deck construction that puts me off the idea most.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.