Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3623

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2018 08:46:25 13,803 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Holy shit, it must be terrible.
  • nickthegun 10 Feb 2018 09:00:55 73,540 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It is. It's also another one to add to Fassbenders 'against' column. That guy needs to fire his agent.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Feb 2018 09:59:30 13,803 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    When was the last time time he was actually in a decent film? That fucking Frank Sidebottom thing 5 years ago?
  • thelzdking 10 Feb 2018 10:21:38 7,790 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Life is derivative tosh
    U ok hun?
    I no longer know which hand to hold my knife in and now everything seems insurmountable :(
  • Vortex808 10 Feb 2018 10:58:10 12,261 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Fucking bastards. All of you, that is, who have mentioned A Monster Calls.

'How bad can it be?', I thought...
    I haven't seen that yet, but would like to.

Have you seen Wonder by any chance?

That's got sad bits, and I did 'get something in my eye' during it, but also plenty of lighter bits to lift the spirits too. A really good film to hit you square in the feels. Our lad really wanted to see it having read it at school and I'm glad he wanted us to go too.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Feb 2018 11:46:52 17,738 posts
    Seen 51 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The 15:17 to Paris

I just saw it with a couple of friends. A Clint Eastwood movie about a real-life terrorist attack on a train, starring... the actual people who stopped it, playing themselves.

I have to hand it to Eastwood. I didn't think he could possibly make a movie worse than Gran Torino, but he went ahead and topped it. Like in Gran Torino, you can't really fault the actors for being terrible (because they're not professional actors). But they appear to have been given no direction whatsoever. It's like that scene in Ed Wood where someone does a shitty line reading and the director goes "Perfect!" when it's anything but.

It was stunningly bad. I think the decision to cast a couple of actual Marines in the starring roles was risky and interesting, but Jesus fucking Christ make them do more than one take. You're making a prestige movie, not some skit for a high school drama class.

2/10 (it gets an extra point for Judy Greer, who's kind of wasted, but still, Judy Greer)
  • evild_edd 10 Feb 2018 12:13:24 3,927 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @Vortex808

AMC is on Prime at the minute, if that helps you.

Haven't seen Wonder. There wasn't much levity in AMC, but plenty of visual spectacle to distract from what would otherwise be an unrelentingly depressing tale.

Edited by evild_edd at 12:13:42 10-02-2018
  • askew 10 Feb 2018 12:53:17 16,552 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    It is. It's also another one to add to Fassbenders 'against' column. That guy needs to fire his agent.
    Whut. Fassbender isn’t in 300 2 or Life…
  • dominalien 10 Feb 2018 16:51:58 8,532 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    A Monster Calls

Now that was one tree with a very particular set of skills.

I didn’t connect with it the way a few of you guys seem to have, but still I acknowledge it was pretty powerful stuff. After it ended, I finally realised what it reminded me of the whole time: Big Fish. Not a bad comparison at all.

7/10

Creed

Much better than just the sum of of its admittedly pretty shallow parts. I liked the fight with the tattooed guy, probably the most fun I’d had watching two guys going at it ever. I have all the Rocky baggage so it’s rather hard for me to judge, but I think the little nods to the series which are pretty much everywhere are good enough to stand on their own instead of just being cringe worthy fan service. As the final fight started, I thought to myself if they start shouting for Creed by the end they’ll have lost me, but they just, just managed to pull this off.

8/10
  • Bichii 10 Feb 2018 17:37:55 553 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Split.

Good film mainly due to the excellent acting from the main dude and the main girl.

8/10
  • killersrquiet 10 Feb 2018 18:46:00 3,180 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Geostorm.

Gerard Butler in Space, because why not. A very decent film and a lot better than the 5.4 IMDB rating would suggest.

7.5 / 10
  • anephric 10 Feb 2018 19:07:08 2,875 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    If anything the 5.4 on IMDb is overly generous.

Again, I must repeat that Gerard Butler's continuing lucrative career is a complete fucking mystery.
  • nickthegun 10 Feb 2018 21:15:10 73,540 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    askew wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Whut. Fassbender isn’t in 300 2 or Life…
    Oh yeah, he's in the first one. Who the hell is generic white guy in that, then?
  • mal 10 Feb 2018 22:01:37 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apparently, it's some american meathead actor with two second names instead of a first and second.
  • Derblington 10 Feb 2018 22:35:56 30,767 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Australian.
  • mal 10 Feb 2018 22:42:34 29,326 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Oh, even better.
  • Gruff 10 Feb 2018 22:44:08 3,305 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    When was the last time time he was actually in a decent film? That fucking Frank Sidebottom thing 5 years ago?
    Errrrr, Slow West was good
  • Gunzberg 10 Feb 2018 22:56:52 2,315 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Sand Castle 6/10

On Netflix, it was ok but nothing we haven't seen before.
  • Pierre2k 10 Feb 2018 23:10:51 1,017 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I finally got round to watching Bright on Netflix last night. Heard it was shit, but hey, a big budget new movie, with an A-lister staring in it, releasing on Netflix...figured it was worth a shot.

I will say that the whole apartheid/racism theme is laid on with a trowel. It's about as subtle as Ed Sheeran's cameo in Game of Thrones. Still, I quite enjoyed the setup of the world, as incredibly cheesy as it was with orcs and fairies etc, found the effects and action to be pretty decent and ultimately found it quite enjoyable.

Not a good film per se, but as a big budget, effects driven action movie, I found it decent popcorn fodder. Enjoyed it a lot more than anticipated. I'd say, 6 or 7/10 as I found it slightly above average.
  • ModoX 11 Feb 2018 07:22:07 3,191 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Seeing Allred - 8/10

Netflix doc about Gloria Allred, an American rights attorney who has mostly focused on women's rights over the decades, she's in her 70s now (but still going strong). I hadn't heard of her before but it seems she's a relatively household name in the States due to regularly being on news and talk shows generally annoying traditionalists and misogynists. Not knowing her I don't know how bias this doc is, but she certainly does seem to be representing people who don't have a voice as strongly as she can, so I've come out of it a fan, as has my wife. If you're interested it's good stuff.
  • Anthony_UK 11 Feb 2018 19:22:30 2,922 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Greatest Showman - 8/10

Gumbled all the way to the cinema about being forced to watch this, not a fan of musicals at all.  But I loved it, as sugar-coated and upbeat as you can be and didn't touch on the some of the real PT Barnums more questionable actions.  However taken as a stand alone piece of upbeat entertainment on a cold wet Sunday, I thought it was brill.
  • beastmaster 11 Feb 2018 21:53:03 18,178 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Brimstone - 8/10

This was one hell of an uncomfortable watch. I think it has a mean, sadistic streak that it seems to revel in all the way throughout but I also think it's an excellent film. It's all pretty much down to Guy Pearce, who just dominates the film.

It's pretty rare these days that films are classified as 18 certificates. Times have changed and 15 certificates are pretty strong. So when something does arrive that is an 18, it's usually eared it for a good reason. Good grief! Even though most of the horrific violence is done offscreen, there's a lot of things happening in this film that are just all out wrong.

The story is told in non-chronological chapters which I'm not really that big a fan of unless they are done incredibly well. I was confused a couple of times but I did click towards the end. Truth be told, the filmmakers pretty much spell out how it all hangs together, which I was fine with.

The films got a superb cast with a couple fo Game of Thrones actors in there (Kit Harington & Carice van Houten). But I don't there's any doubt it's the Guy Pearce show in his role as The Reverend, he uses the "man of god" excuse to do all kinds of horrific and unspeakable acts.

I think this is the most intensely grim films I've seen since The Whistleblower with Rachel Weisz. As with that film, I think this one is excellent but I'd find it really hard to recommend this to anyone.

Den of Thieves - 5/10

Gerard Butler does Heat and fails miserably but I still quite enjoyed this bang on average action flick. I don't think it's anywhere near as bad as some people are making it out to be.

Overlong? Yes. Dumb? Yes. Horrific acting from all involved? Yes. Stupid plot? Yes. Lofty aspirations it could never reach? Yes. Boring? No, I didn't think so.

Butler gurns, grunts, shouts and acts tough and I found it pretty entertaining stuff. He's not reached Nicholas Cage levels of 'shitness' yet but I think 2018 is the year of the Cage comeback, but I digress.

It so obviously wants to be Heat, I found it quite funny to watch. There's even a restaurant scene between Butler and the main baddie which I found a ridiculous joy to watch. I don't think Pacino or De Niro will be losing any sleep over this.

The Foreigner - 8/5/10

Excellent thriller which stars Jackie Chan and Pierce Brosnan. I knew from the trailers this wasn't going to be a typical Jackie Chan action flick and it most definitely isn't. I think it's one of the best political thrillers I've seen in a long time.

Yes, the Jackie Can action in there a little, but it just seems really strange seeing this in what is a very grounded film and in locations such as Ireland and London. But (as always with Chan), I think the stunts are excellent.

What surprised me about this film though as how good the plot was and I was hooked right from the start. For me, I think this film would have been just as good without Chan doing his usual crazy stunt-work. As I mentioned before, there's a lot less of it here, but if he picks quality scripts like this, I don't think he'll need to. Special mention to Pierce Brosnan as I think he's also excellent in this.

This was a genuine surprise for me. I didn't think it was going to be as good as it was by a long margin. I'd highly recommend this and it's on Netflix if you've got it.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 11 Feb 2018 22:45:50 6,460 posts
    Seen 52 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The Cloverfield Paradox

Solid cast, decent special effects, all kinds of nonsense going on. It's not bad but without the Cloverfield name or being on Netflix I'm not sure i'd have stuck it out.

6/10
  • Tomo 11 Feb 2018 23:47:45 15,870 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Cloverfield Paradox – 5/10

It's not great, let's be honest, but as a massive Cloverfield fanboy I found some joy amongst the silliness. The script was terrible - most of the characters were carbon copies from other films. None were very interesting other than Debicki's character. She was sinister as fuck. Chris O'Dowd was spectacularly miscast – one of the weirdest comic-relief casting choices I've seen in a long while. But, it was never less than intriguing seeing how it would all tie together. Roll on Overlord in October!
  • DUFFMAN5 12 Feb 2018 07:25:45 22,817 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Kingsman: TGC
    Enjoyed just about, loved the first. This was a fairly poor follow up.
    Good fun set pieces and have to say EJ was good.
    Seemed to have cameos/underused stars a plenty. Plot was mostly tosh. I saw Jane Goldman's (writer, owner of massive rack)name yet again, that woman gets around!

Third film has been confirmed...

60%
  • Bichii 12 Feb 2018 07:36:34 553 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    @DUFFMAN5 I felt exactly the same.

Darkest Hour.

Excellent film. Fantastic performances throughout and I found it genuinely interesting.

8/10.
  • mrpon 12 Feb 2018 09:43:08 34,364 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Baywatch and CHiPs, both on NowTV. Both awful, but plenty of dick jokes, tits and crude humour. They entertained me in my weak state of mind, ymmv.

5/10
  • Gunzberg 12 Feb 2018 18:23:27 2,315 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Lone Survivor 7.5-8/10

Definitely worth a watch, just to remind us that whilst we sit in comfy heated Europe typing on our PC Screens, somewhere out there people are going through hell.

So no one better complain that they are having a bad day...
  • JoeBlade 12 Feb 2018 20:32:33 4,189 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Cloverfield Paradox

Unsurprisingly it's not the worst thing since Hitler (thanks for being completely uninformative again, internet) but I won't exactly call it good either. Technically it's okay; the story though, ugh.
    It basically felt like we're completely fucked, then miscellaneous incoherent stuff and then we're still completely fucked. The end.

5 or 6 out of 10

Jupiter Ascending

If you want a real example of a big budget wasted on a polished turd, watch this. I didn't manage to finish it, it was that bad (and believe me, I otherwise never not finish films)

stay away out of 10
  • Gunzberg 12 Feb 2018 21:25:04 2,315 posts
    Seen 1 month ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    An Irrational Man

7/10

Quite fun actually

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.