Registered 9 years ago
    Hacksaw Ridge

Proper good war movie, loved it

ĎHow long have you been dead private?í Lmao

85/100
  • mal 11 Mar 2018 15:06:49 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think I approached Stalker in three sections, because I had it recorded and I could only really approach it in about half an hour chunks. Maybe that disturbed my appreciation of its narrative, but I couldn't especially see much of a story there - a setting, sure, but the plot seemed to set up a narrative arc containing threat and redemption, but really all that happened was the dude went out then went home again. It has some great cinematography, but I found the cod philosophising irritating, and I didn't especially warm to any of the characters.

I dunno, it's quite a memorable film I think, and I'm glad I've seen it, but if I were to watch it again I'd be fast-forwarding through all of the slow bits.

Speaking of fast forwarding, I recently recorded Moonrise Kingdom, forgetting that I'd already seen the film. I watched it fast-forwarded chunks, and enjoyed Anderson's scene setting and oddball characters, filling in the gaps from my recollection of the film. It's not quite as good as the Fantastic Mr Fox or the Grand Budapest Hotel, but I was impressed that it's got quite a lot of actors in his films, and as far as I know none of them have fallen to the same vices that our Mr Spacey has been accused of yet. I'd be kind of okay if after all of this shook out we were left with only Marvel films and Wes Anderson films personally.
  • Tomo 11 Mar 2018 16:04:15 15,915 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Scimarad wrote:
    Because Annihilation is coming out soon and because I like Roadside Picnic I decided to give Stalker a go, despite memories of being terminally bored by Solaris. I don't know what it is about Tarkovsky's films but if anything I struggled with this even more. I don't remotely have a short attention span but I found Stalker so utterly, utterly, oppressively dull that I almost need another word to describe it. It was like being slowly but surely suffocated to death by boredom.

I can see the appeal of it visually to a certain degree but beyond that it utterly mystifies me how anyone could enjoy it, or even make it through the whole thing. I will laugh uncontrollably next time someone accuses Blade Runner 2049 of being too slow.
    Aye, gotta say I agree. Found Stalker mind-numbingly boring :(
  • JoeBlade 11 Mar 2018 19:12:18 4,191 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    IT (the new one)
    I'm not really into horror films because they never actually scare me. Jump scares maybe (which I think are cheap) and unsettling, yes, but that's the extent of it.

Still, I thought this was pretty good, mainly thanks to Bill Skra.. Sarks... um, the guy who plays Pennywise. He does so very well and his character feels like a constant looming menace when he's not on screen. The kids were pretty good too.

Too bad they're making a sequel though, this doesn't feel like the right film for that at all.

7.5/10
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Mar 2018 19:22:07 11,470 posts
    Seen 53 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    IT (the new one)
    I'm not really into horror films because they never actually scare me. Jump scares maybe (which I think are cheap) and unsettling, yes, but that's the extent of it.

Still, I thought this was pretty good, mainly thanks to Bill Skra.. Sarks... um, the guy who plays Pennywise. He does so very well and his character feels like a constant looming menace when he's not on screen. The kids were pretty good too.

Too bad they're making a sequel though, this doesn't feel like the right film for that at all.

7.5/10
    The film only covered half the book, so itís not a sequel, itís just he rest of the story.
  • Deleted user 11 March 2018 19:31:05
    Found.

Young lad suspects his brother of being a serial killer.
    Pretty good film this from a horror point of view. The acting and writing was extremely amateurish but the 2 brothers played their parts well and it's full of gore and some unsettling bits.

7.5/10
  • mal 11 Mar 2018 19:57:17 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Found it on netflix by any chance?
  • Deleted user 11 March 2018 20:29:43
    mal wrote:
    Nah I actually used showbox for it. I did own it on bluray but it's gone AWOL. I am tempted to buy the spinoff 'Headless'
  • anephric 11 Mar 2018 20:42:47 2,891 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Tarkovsky's compositions are amazing, and the texture of Stalker is sumptuous. I can see how if you aren't taken by that it would be boring, but I can live in that film. Same with Solaris. I was obsessed with Tarkovsky when I was at uni.

I did not have sex much.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Mar 2018 22:42:31 14,292 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Blade Runner 2049

Enjoyed this even more the second time around. Love everything about it.

10/10
  • Bichii 11 Mar 2018 23:00:28 588 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    IT (the new one)

7.5/10

I just finished this. 2/10. Total shit and not scary.
  • drhickman1983 12 Mar 2018 00:09:58 5,353 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Lady in the Van

Enjoyable watching. Maggie Smith is just great, portraying the cantankerous lady of the title wonderfully. Alex Jennings plays Alan Bennet very well too, on whose drive the lady parks the van.

It's a funny film, though it does lack a real narrative drive, and it says towards to the end. But the characters are well drawn and the enough intrigue to keep things moving.

7/10

Edited by drhickman1983 at 00:10:25 12-03-2018
  • beastmaster 12 Mar 2018 00:13:03 18,279 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Nah I actually used showbox for it. I did own it on bluray but it's gone AWOL. I am tempted to buy the spinoff 'Headless'
    Is the spin off for real? I remember seeing this at Grimmfest years ago.
  • Tomo 12 Mar 2018 00:28:51 15,915 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night - 6/10

Interesting mashup of horror, film noir, Western, romance and hipster genres. Some strong scenes and it's beautifully shot, but there's wayyyyy to much slow motion to draw out the tension in certain scenes. It just feels overly long in the end, especially as the script isn't good enough to carry the film for so long. Touch too much style over substance.
  • Deleted user 12 March 2018 07:55:04
    beastmaster wrote:
    Addy_B wrote:
    mal wrote:
    Is the spin off for real? I remember seeing this at Grimmfest years ago.
    Yeah apparently it's out on bluray now.
  • 1Million_Tons_of_TNT 12 Mar 2018 08:20:55 69 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Mother!

Having watched Mother! and trying to make sense of it, then searching online about it, it turns out, I didnít get it at all. I doubt many will.

At first I thought Mother! was simply about a couple who wanted a baby all the while putting it off, as she would rather focus on home improvements, and he would rather focus on writing, all the while suffering from writers block, caused by the loss of everything, due to a fire.

Once he manages to fix the writers block, by writing a poem. I started to wonder, maybe this is going to be about a guy who uses a girl all in the name of fixing his writers block, as his writing means more to him than anything, including his other half. He likes nothing more than his fan base, who stop at nothing to meet the writer.

With weird shit going on, like blood running down walls, I started to wonder, maybe she is pregnant, and the knock on effect includes various mental issues that come and go, and nothing weird is actually happening, only in her mind.

Once the film starts to turn mental, like a war breaking out in the house, and taking on board all the other oddities, like random people turning up to the house, none of it seemed believable. At the end when a different female rolls over in bed, just has Jennifer Lawrence did at the beginning of the film, I went with the notion, the entire story was nothing more than the nightmare of a pregnant woman, which explained why none of made sense.

But no. It was something else entirely
  • nickthegun 12 Mar 2018 08:29:52 74,033 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tell your children not to walk my way
  • Tonka 12 Mar 2018 08:45:38 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Tell your children not to hear my words
  • Load_2.0 12 Mar 2018 08:48:00 26,729 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bizarrely I heard that for the first time in ages on Saturday.

On TV maybe?
  • Tonka 12 Mar 2018 08:49:18 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    They are watching
  • GarlVinland 12 Mar 2018 09:13:31 3,190 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople - 8/10

This seems to be EG's favourite movie. I enjoyed it but not sure why it's been rhapsodized quite as much. Probably only my second favourite movie this weekend after Game Night.

The Wrong Guy - 6/10

A guy very publicly yells that he will kill his boss, who 5 mins later turns up dead with a knife in his back, so he goes on the run. Not realising that the police have CCTV footage of the murder and he's not a suspect.

There are one or two big laughs but generally it's quite forgettable.

Happy Death Day - 6/10

I love a Groundhog Day-style movie and the premise is interesting but it is very tween. Could stand to be a bit nastier. It's basically a fancy episode of Scream Queens.
  • Blakester 12 Mar 2018 09:37:11 4,441 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Murder on the Orient Express

Sat down to watch this as a family on Sunday and all felt it was a perfectly good way spend a couple of hours.

It looks sumptuous and the cast seem to be enjoying hamming it up to the max which is perfectly fine in this type of film. My kids are 10 & 12, so we had to pause throughout to ensure that everyone (myself included) was following the investigation and to share our theories. Lots of questions afterwards, which is think is a good indicator of a film that's engaged young minds.

Hoping the tease at the end is real and we get another soon. The wife and I immediately starting searching for Orient Express breaks afterwards!

Oh and one small niggle - the product placement was utterly ridiculous! Godiva chocolates may as well just taken out a 30 second ad half way through the movie. Subtle it was not.

7/10
  • Bambot 12 Mar 2018 09:40:57 1,181 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    1Million_Tons_of_TNT wrote:
    Mother!

Having watched Mother! and trying to make sense of it, then searching online about it, it turns out, I didnít get it at all. I doubt many will.

At first I thought Mother! was simply about a couple who wanted a baby all the while putting it off, as she would rather focus on home improvements, and he would rather focus on writing, all the while suffering from writers block, caused by the loss of everything, due to a fire.

Once he manages to fix the writers block, by writing a poem. I started to wonder, maybe this is going to be about a guy who uses a girl all in the name of fixing his writers block, as his writing means more to him than anything, including his other half. He likes nothing more than his fan base, who stop at nothing to meet the writer.

With weird shit going on, like blood running down walls, I started to wonder, maybe she is pregnant, and the knock on effect includes various mental issues that come and go, and nothing weird is actually happening, only in her mind.

Once the film starts to turn mental, like a war breaking out in the house, and taking on board all the other oddities, like random people turning up to the house, none of it seemed believable. At the end when a different female rolls over in bed, just has Jennifer Lawrence did at the beginning of the film, I went with the notion, the entire story was nothing more than the nightmare of a pregnant woman, which explained why none of made sense.

From what I read of the plot it appears to be an allegory about humanity versus god, and the endless cycle of madness and death that ensues between them, or something. I dunno. It made sort of sense when I read it. No way I'd want to watch it though.
  • Bambot 12 Mar 2018 09:42:17 1,181 posts
    Seen 5 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:
    Hunt for the Wilderpeople - 8/10

This seems to be EG's favourite movie. I enjoyed it but not sure why it's been rhapsodized quite as much. Probably only my second favourite movie this weekend after Game Night.
    You don't understand why people like it, while giving it the equivalent of EG's Recommended badge?

Odd.
  • GarlVinland 12 Mar 2018 09:45:52 3,190 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The opinions I've seen here veer closer to Essential. I liked it but I wouldn't go that far.
  • Tonka 12 Mar 2018 09:47:25 27,959 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pete's Dragon (2016)
    Saw it dubbed for the kids sake and that always detract. A boy survives in the woods thanks to a dragon that can make itself invisible. He's found and there's some bad(ish) guys who decides to hunt the dragon and there are hardly any surprises if you''re a grownup.

Not bad as family films go though. They do lay into "There can be MAGIC in the world" a bit but it's a cute film. The boys enjoyed it but I doubt they'll ever ask to see it again (as opposed to Paddington or The Gruffalo)
  • Blakester 12 Mar 2018 10:02:25 4,441 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    Pete's Dragon (2016)
    Saw it dubbed for the kids sake and that always detract. A boy survives in the woods thanks to a dragon that can make itself invisible. He's found and there's some bad(ish) guys who decides to hunt the dragon and there are hardly any surprises if you''re a grownup.

Not bad as family films go though. They do lay into "There can be MAGIC in the world" a bit but it's a cute film. The boys enjoyed it but I doubt they'll ever ask to see it again (as opposed to Paddington or The Gruffalo)
    This in my opinion is a remake that really doesn't benefit from technological advancements. The original was hardly a classic, but at least had a modicum of shabby charm. The new one just blends into the background (pun semi-intended) alongside every other CGI-based kids monster movie.
  • thelzdking 12 Mar 2018 10:13:12 8,088 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Wilderpeople is an amazing film.
  • 1Million_Tons_of_TNT 12 Mar 2018 11:08:53 69 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    Bambot wrote:
    1Million_Tons_of_TNT wrote:
    Mother!

From what I read of the plot it appears to be an allegory about humanity versus god, and the endless cycle of madness and death that ensues between them, or something. I dunno. It made sort of sense when I read it. No way I'd want to watch it though.
    The whole story takes place in an isolated house, in a place that resembles the garden of Eden. The layout of the house, where one room leads to another, is supposed to represent the human mind (I learnt this during the making of..). The house represents planet Earth, and Jennifer Lawrence represents mother Earth, Javier Bardem represents God. The twins represent Cain and Abel. Michelle Pfeiffer represents Eve (Adam and Eve). The breaking of the crystal represents forbidden fruit. The house burning down and rebuilding represents the starting over, hoping things will work out better for Javier Bardem, who presumably, being God, can never die, and only live in some sort of never ending loop. Itís religious Bible related - overrated. Itís like the retelling of Star Wars, but not telling anyone. Leaving the viewer to wonder, what did the Orange represent? the Deathstar? ;D
  • askew 12 Mar 2018 11:26:32 16,757 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I did not take that away.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.