Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3639

• You-can-call-me-kal 12 Mar 2018 12:16:20 11,505 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I like mother! I think it makes a nice companion film to Black Swan. On the surface they're quite similar, although the allegorical elements of mother! take it off in another direction.

I think the negative reaction is largely down to it being marketed to be a completely different film to what it is (which often happens with films that are original and hard to categorise). The trailer made it look like a 90s yuppy home invasion thriller, which it kind of is in the first half, but very much not in the second half.
  • jaxon58 12 Mar 2018 12:53:07 2,490 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    Murder on the Orient Express

Hoping the tease at the end is real and we get another soon. The wife and I immediately starting searching for Orient Express breaks afterwards!

7/10
    I've read that Death on the Nile has been confirmed.
  • cowell 12 Mar 2018 14:51:31 1,519 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    David Brent - Life on the Road

65/100

For the most part fairly solid, funny entertainment. More Brent cringe. Ben Bailey Smith is great and good to see a few of the Phoneshop Famalam making small appearances. Ending lets it down a little with his fellow band mates going from despising him to being his buddy at the end a little easily in my opinion.

If you like The Office, its a solid follow up story, but doesn't hit close the same heights
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Mar 2018 15:01:08 11,505 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    cowell wrote:
    David Brent - Life on the Road

65/100

For the most part fairly solid, funny entertainment. More Brent cringe. Ben Bailey Smith is great and good to see a few of the Phoneshop Famalam making small appearances. Ending lets it down a little with his fellow band mates going from despising him to being his buddy at the end a little easily in my opinion.

If you like The Office, its a solid follow up story, but doesn't hit close the same heights
    It massively misses Stephen Merchant's influence. Without him most of the observational wit is gone and it's just cringe comedy.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 12 Mar 2018 15:04:03 14,312 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah I couldn't get through it. I thought it was awful.
  • GarlVinland 12 Mar 2018 15:36:25 3,193 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Tomb Raider getting some expectedly shit reviews after its release in Asia.

Made by a no-name director, the question is why would a recent Oscar winner follow in Halle Berry's footsteps and immediately sign on for a nailed-on turd? Surely her example shows that even a dump truck of money doesn't make up for the damage it does to your career?
  • nickthegun 12 Mar 2018 15:37:25 74,074 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    His most recent show drops on netflix this week.
  • Bichii 12 Mar 2018 15:44:47 591 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 months ago
    GarlVinland wrote:

Made by a no-name director, the question is why would a recent Oscar winner follow in Halle Berry's footsteps and immediately sign on for a nailed-on turd? Surely her example shows that even a dump truck of money doesn't make up for the damage it does to your career?
  • anephric 12 Mar 2018 21:37:31 2,891 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Annihilation

Terrific, really. Dreamy, ambiguous, horrific, contemplative.

If you like SF that doesn't spell it all out for you, you'll enjoy it. Otherwise you might think it's all a bit pointless. Great synth score too.

Plus, dat Oscar Isaac.

91.5/100
  • askew 12 Mar 2018 21:40:46 16,788 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Creepy too.

I got a nice Tomb Raider vibe ;)
  • beastmaster 12 Mar 2018 21:49:04 18,288 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    GarlVinland wrote:

I think Nicholas Cage pretty much did the same thing after winning too. Vikander has been in some proper shit films since winning the Oscar to be fair.

Looking at the upcoming blockbuster releases over summer, only Infinity War and Mission Impossible look any good. I really want Solo to be great but thatís just wishful thinking.

Edit: Iíve seen one terrible review for Tomb Raider so far. All the others are way more positive.

Edited by beastmaster at 21:56:02 12-03-2018
  • b0rk 12 Mar 2018 21:56:48 7,693 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Does the world really need another Solo movie, the first one was shit (great).

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117688/?ref_=fn_tt_tt_9
  • You-can-call-me-kal 12 Mar 2018 21:56:58 11,505 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    One of them, one for you is standard Hollywood formula.
  • mal 12 Mar 2018 22:26:57 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    GarlVinland wrote:

I think Nicholas Cage pretty much did the same thing after winning too. Vikander has been in some proper shit films since winning the Oscar to be fair.
    The films that follow the film he won for (Leaving Las Vegas) were The Rock, Con Air and Face/Off. Three pretty good films in my book, albeit not of the quality of his winning flick (although it's probably fair to note that he'd probably completed filming on The Rock before his win). After that it went a bit pear shaped, but he's always had an incredible work ethic, appearing in at least three films a year since he started acting in pictures. Since the win, and particularly since the new millennium, his work rate has increased slightly though - he's managed five films in a year a number of times since then. With that much work it's perhaps not surprising he doesn't put that much effort into creating a completely new character for each one, especially when his crazy whack-job character seems so saleable.
  • [maven] 12 Mar 2018 22:32:09 5,577 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    @anephric

I certainly agree on: Dreamy, horrific, contemplative. Not really on ambiguous.

Or I'm missing something (which is equally possible).

Either way: Annihilation 82/100
  • anephric 12 Mar 2018 22:33:45 2,891 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Unless Vikander's financial adviser doesn't notice her buying castles, Superman No1s and forgetting to pay any tax and then having the IRS as an agent, I don't think she'll end up like the Cagemeister.
  • Mr_Sleep 12 Mar 2018 23:11:24 21,772 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The prolific comment reminds me that Danny Trejo has been in over 350 films, can anyone beat that?
  • mal 13 Mar 2018 01:51:49 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    That is quite something. The closest I've been able to come is Derek Jacobi at 148 acting credits, and he's even a little older than Trejo. And that's less than half Trejo's output. Next best was Charlotte Rampling at 120-something. De Niro's done even less, and the less said about our Denzel at this point the better.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Mar 2018 02:02:47 17,972 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    If you widen it to foreign language films (eg. Indian films), there's probably a few actors with more than 350 credits. But otherwise, I don't know who comes close to that.

(tbf a lot of Trejo roles are just bit parts, so it's not like he's spending weeks on set or anything)
  • mal 13 Mar 2018 02:45:03 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Just had a dig through the Indian films, and I don't know much about them, but I found a K.N. Singh who was in at least a film ever year between 1938 and 1984 it seems. Even he's only got 188 credits though, and he died in 2001, which I reckon would disqualify him anyway.

I've found a few now between 100 and 150, but Jacobi's still the highest scorer I've found who's still alive. Or at least, would be if it weren't for Trejo.
  • Mola_Ram 13 Mar 2018 03:34:23 17,972 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Guinness would probably be accurate

http://www.guinnessworldrecords.com/world-records/most-screen-credits-for-a-living-actor/

857 screen credits
  • QotSAfan 13 Mar 2018 13:56:23 2,318 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Annihilation

It's good but it missed out on greatness by not actually saying anything. I felt it would have been better had it been a TV series. I'd recommend it though as it is memorable.

8/10
  • GoatApocalypse 13 Mar 2018 14:51:59 3,989 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    My stomach is trying to kill me, so I'm at home watching In Bruges and eating Golden Crunch Creams

In Bruges is a wonderful film and all the better for its fairly strict adherence to the classical unities. It's one of those rare films you can imagine would make a truly wonderful play.

90/100
  • anephric 13 Mar 2018 15:00:16 2,891 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    You only have to start sniffing around jobbing character actors or B-movie regulars to find hundreds of credits: John Carradine, for example, or even David Carradine.

Pick a Carradine.
  • Rhaegyr 13 Mar 2018 15:10:15 4,456 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Three Billboards

As good as everyone says it is. Rockwell and McDormand are outstanding.

9/10
  • JYM60 14 Mar 2018 14:22:02 17,523 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Films I watched this week:

Donnie Brasco: 8/10 - I actually thought I remembered much more happening in this film, but still, a very good gangster film, with great acting all round. One of Depps best movies.

Saw: 6/10 - Not the best on rewatches because twists have no impact. Characters look stupider the more rewatches you have.

Apocalipto: 9/10 - Had never watched this before. Was pretty awesome. So fast paced, the 2+ hours flew in!
  • CosmicFuzz 14 Mar 2018 14:55:28 32,261 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Saw Game Night last night, thought it was actually really funny.

Anyone seen You Were Never Really Here yet?
  • robthehermit 14 Mar 2018 15:01:06 6,590 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I watched Sharknado 2 last night. It defies rating.
  • Khanivor 14 Mar 2018 15:10:43 43,824 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Logan Lucky - 8/10

Great film. The heist part is actually the weakest element of the film, with the first act and short end game being the stronger parts. Saying that it's still a lot of fun from start to finish. A great cast doing a good job. There's not a dud character in the film, not one. Easily the strongest aspect of the film every single character is distinct, interesting and goes somewhere over the course of the run time. The central relationship between Tatum and his daughter is spot on and had me welling up at a few points.

Gets high style points based on how the movie was made, distributed and profits shared.
  • askew 14 Mar 2018 15:52:12 16,788 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Saw Game Night last night, thought it was actually really funny.

Anyone seen You Were Never Really Here yet?
    Not till FridayÖ

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.