Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3640

• CosmicFuzz 14 Mar 2018 16:14:00 32,261 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    askew wrote:
    CosmicFuzz wrote:
    Saw Game Night last night, thought it was actually really funny.

Anyone seen You Were Never Really Here yet?
    Not till FridayÖ
    Cool, I'm going to see it tonight. Will post some thoughts after.
  • CosmicFuzz 14 Mar 2018 22:08:51 32,261 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    That was... Pretty brutal. Really good though, Phoenix was great in it. A tense watch at times!
  • askew 14 Mar 2018 22:35:27 16,790 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Excellent!
  • FatSternKikwi 14 Mar 2018 22:36:51 1,651 posts
    Seen 18 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Exciting!

Going to see it tomorrow I think

Edited by FatSternKikwi at 22:37:17 14-03-2018
  • Stuz359 14 Mar 2018 22:56:46 116 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Circle

Interesting take on social media and the intrusion and the data it gathers on us, but the message was quite confused I thought. It starts off telling us that openness and transparency are good things to be lauded, the goes on to show the harm it can cause, then it ends almost with a call for more opennes and transparency.

Some good performances and it was interesting, but I don't think the movie knew what it was about, so 6.5/10.
  • binky Moderator 15 Mar 2018 00:24:36 10,867 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Black Panther - 7/10

Definitely think Iím getting a little tired of the superhero formula now.
  • Deleted user 15 March 2018 00:42:07
    Paddington

Good old family romp. Lots of marmalade.

8/10
  • TheRealBadabing 15 Mar 2018 01:20:45 1,782 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Darkest Hour

9/10

Absolutely brilliant except for what seemed like a forced scene.
  • Dougs 15 Mar 2018 06:27:24 85,761 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    Paddington

8/10
    2nd is even better imo.
  • damagedinc 15 Mar 2018 08:03:48 2,646 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Game Night

After awards season this was a great easy watch. Great fun
  • beastmaster 15 Mar 2018 11:26:43 18,289 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Tomb Raider - 7.5/10

I think this is easily one of the best video game adaptations ever made. About as far removed from the original Jolie films as you can get and it has a lot more in common with the reboot. However, I think the film is a lot better for it.

In terms of the actual plot, thereís absolutely nothing new here. It seems to bear a striking resemblance to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade but obviously nowhere near as good. That being said though, I didn't think it was that bad at all. It does take a few elements from the rebooted games and puts them in there too.

The film seems to have been widely criticized for it's lack of humour. This is true when she gets to the island and it becomes a fight for survival but up until that point, I think there's plenty to be had. I laughed quite a lot in the opening section. I don't think it needs to be like the original Jolie films which didn't take themselves too seriously.

One thing I really liked about the film is that it isn't a CGI fest like most other video game adaptations. Most of the action was apparently done on huge sets and this makes the film a lot more believable. Another thing which is thankfully missing from this is the Resident Evil style of filming action sequences. You know, with slow motion and the camera spinning around all over the place. There's only one part in the whole film where something comes close to that and it's in the trailer. I don't think its by any means representative of the film at all.

The one thing I've not mentioned yet is what I think is the main reason to see this film. I think Alicia Vikander's performance as Lara Croft is superb. She's totally makes the role her own. She handles the action scenes incredibly well and it looks as though it's her doing most of the stunts. She also nails the acting part too, which is not surprising considering she's an Oscar wining actress. They have gone for a much darker tone than before and I think she does a terrific job. Yes, there is that 'first kill' moment but I found it surprisingly effective.

Will definitely be seeing this again at the flicks soon. Much better than I expected and Vikander makes a great Lara Croft. I hope this does well as we see her back in a sequel.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Mar 2018 12:48:43 17,972 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The Ritual

Eh, it was alright I suppose. Nice scenery! But it wasn't particularly tense or scary or memorable, and I don't think I'll remember having seen it in a year or two.

6.2/10
  • retro74 15 Mar 2018 13:20:56 2,347 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watched The Greatest Showman at the cinema the other day. What an odd movie it was too. I actually didn't know it was about PT Barnum until about 20 minutes in :)

Quite ridiculous at times but quite charming at other times. I expect it has done quite well in terms of repeat viewings as it's an show-like event as much as a movie - my wife and daughter had already seen it but wanted to watch it again before it went off the cinema, hence me being dragged along

In summary it was weird 55/100
  • GarlVinland 15 Mar 2018 13:45:39 3,193 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @retro74 I really didn't like it, the songs weren't memorable at all, and yet it's been playing for months now. Someone out there clearly likes it, couldn't tell you why.

Loved Game Night. Probably the most entertaining movie I've seen so far this year, enjoyed it maybe even more than Black Panther. Rachel McAdams is on fire in it.
  • RobAnybody 15 Mar 2018 13:54:05 1,554 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Addy_B wrote:
    Paddington

8/10
    P1 and P2 are both get an easy 9.5/10 from me - in fact, P2 was perhaps ever so slightly better than P1.
  • adstomko 15 Mar 2018 16:55:26 103 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomb Raider (2018)

The film is lead fantastically well by Alicia Vikander, who makes a wonderful Lara Croft.
    The beginning was fitting, with a significant amount of humour from Lara along with her life in London. A lot of the scenes involve Lara learning and training to become the person she ought to be.
    In my opinion, the first half of the film was better than the last.

The plot reminds me of Indiana Jones and Jason Bourne (you may understand why I said the latter once you watch the film).
    In some areas, the film appears as a missed opportunity, The action scenes were executed well, but not to the level of the most notable action/adventure films. Some of the dialogue seems a little bizarre during particular moments, especially during the final third. On some occasions, the film acts as a Hollywood-wannabe, on other occasions it wants to stick to its own formula.

It must be mentioned that this Tomb Raider is much different to the Tomb Raider films played by Angelina Jolie, and the differences are positive.
    The film is basically an introduction to Lara, with a sequel almost certain. Because of this, this Tomb Raider gave me the same reaction as when I completed Uncharted: Drake's Fortune.

Similar thoughts to @beastmaster . Worth a watch because of the wonderful performance from Alicia Vikander. Although it is far from a groundbreaking film, it is an example of a successful video-game

7.5/10

Edited by adstomko at 17:21:15 15-03-2018
  • FilthyAnimal 15 Mar 2018 17:00:39 423 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    The Great Wall 7/10

A film that's taken a lot of flak for the "white man saves foreign people in need of saving" trope and Matt Damon's astonishingly weird accent but it's a lot better than people give it credit for (note that Willem Dafoe adopts exactly the same accent).

It doesn't claim to be deep or meaningful. It's got cod psychology motivators, cheesy one-liners, black & white morality, artifically attractive Chinese ladies in colour-coordinated armour that could have come straight from your nearest JRPG, massive epic battles who engage in synchronised bungie-jumping. And I think Damon's weird mash of American/British/Irish accent was deliberate, given that the story deliberately skirts around his origins - he's just meant to be the stereotypical, non-nationally-specific Western white guy. The CGI, while somewhat naff, does look rather nice in the distant shots as the baddies scamper around in flocks like birds.

It's probably a film I'll forget in a week's time but for now, I was entertained.

Edited by FilthyAnimal at 17:05:36 15-03-2018
  • nickthegun 15 Mar 2018 17:44:24 74,075 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    adstomko wrote:
    Similar thoughts to @beastmaster
    No shit
  • adstomko 15 Mar 2018 18:04:58 103 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun Spoiler alert!
  • mal 15 Mar 2018 18:48:58 29,326 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    FilthyAnimal wrote:
    The Great Wall 7/10
    ..snip..
    It doesn't claim to be deep or meaningful. It's got cod psychology motivators, cheesy one-liners, black & white morality, artifically attractive Chinese ladies in colour-coordinated armour that could have come straight from your nearest JRPG, massive epic battles who engage in synchronised bungie-jumping. And I think Damon's weird mash of American/British/Irish accent was deliberate, given that the story deliberately skirts around his origins - he's just meant to be the stereotypical, non-nationally-specific Western white guy. The CGI, while somewhat naff, does look rather nice in the distant shots as the baddies scamper around in flocks like birds.
    Sounds like almost any Chinese (mandarin) film I've seen recently. They often start off a little like the old Chinese (cantonese) kung-fu flicks, but without the same characterisation, but sooner rather than later they devolve into a cgi mess.
  • dominalien 15 Mar 2018 21:54:40 8,575 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Annihilation

Boring and derivative. Nice visuals. Lara Croft and the thing say hi.

5/10
  • 1Million_Tons_of_TNT 16 Mar 2018 09:22:04 69 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    The Florida Project 6/10

Willem Dafoe manages a Motel painted bright purple, located on the road to Disneyland. In stark contrast, itís guests, or rather inhabitants, are the types living on low income / welfare. The main focus is on one particular mother and her child. The film has an Indie vibe, although manages to feel more polished than a typical raw looking Indie film. Being a bit of a star, Willem Dafoe lifts the film above the norm. I wouldnít say the film is excellent, itís not that bad either.

Edited by 1Million_Tons_of_TNT at 09:25:02 16-03-2018
  • JamesUK 16 Mar 2018 10:06:13 696 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    ^ should be available on Amazon prime on Monday.
    also.† The Ritual, a few posts above, is due on the 31st.

Edited by JamesUK at 10:11:55 16-03-2018
  • 1Million_Tons_of_TNT 16 Mar 2018 10:55:56 69 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 10 months ago
    JamesUK wrote:
    ^ should be available on Amazon prime on Monday.
    also.† The Ritual, a few posts above, is due on the 31st.
    The Florida Project is a 4/10 or 5/10 or 6/10 depending..
    Many of IMDb appear divided in the extreme. 10/10 or 1/10

There is one review on IMDb that describes Willem Dafoe as a creepy Motel manager. This is absolute garbage. Not once did Dafoe comes across as creepy. He plays the part of a hard but fair, sympathetic manager, dealing with the difficult.
  • Jyzzy-Z 16 Mar 2018 10:57:19 3,307 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Florida project is great.
  • ModoX 16 Mar 2018 12:32:31 3,266 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Florida Project is going up on Prime? That's good news, I loved Tangerine and have been looking forward to this, especially with the reviews I've seen.
  • el_pollo_diablo 16 Mar 2018 14:34:11 2,795 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I watched Star Wars Last Jedi last night.

Quite enjoyed it, no idea why people are up in arms about it. It's better than any of the prequels.

I give this movie four Ackbars out of five.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Mar 2018 15:27:17 11,505 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    If the prequels are the benchmark of bad, then pretty much every film ever made is good.
  • Jyzzy-Z 16 Mar 2018 16:26:52 3,307 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Prequels were disappointing. They're not that bad. All 3 are perfectly watchable if ultimately a bit poor. You can lump jedi in with that for me too.

Before anyone links plinkett, I'd say I'm a massive red letter media fan and watch pretty much every video they release. But they're not great critics. Mike makes good observations but that's about the extent of his critical analysis. Good entertainment but not good reviews.

I think the new films are worse in some ways for being creatively bankrupt. Lucas fucked it completely but he was ambitious if incompetent.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 16 Mar 2018 16:29:18 14,313 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    The prequels are some of the worst made films I've ever sat through. There's not a single redeeming quality about any of them.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.