Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3669

• captbirdseye 11 May 2018 09:11:04 8,927 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @anephric Yeah Den of Bros was fucking terrible. I usually enjoy shitty Butler films but this was just a lazy, over long and boring film. Not one character in the film is likeable and I pretty much wanted them all dead within the first 10mins.
  • sirtacos 11 May 2018 11:11:22 8,051 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    anephric wrote:
    sirtacos wrote:
    Black Painter
    This sounds intriguing, is it from the 70s? Does it have Paul Barber competing with Robin Askwith for a home decorating patch and un-PC shenanigans ensue? With a cameo by a racist Spike Milligan?
    Black Painter is a seminal 60's film documenting the Rolling Stones recording Aftermath at RCA studios in Hollywood.
    anephric wrote:
    What's Black Panther? Is it like Black Painter? Does Linda Bellingham get her tits out?
    I love you both you glorious cunts.
  • GarlVinland 11 May 2018 23:26:58 3,662 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Revenge - 8/10

#metoo as exploitation film. A woman is sexually assaulted and left for dead in the desert by her lover and his hunting buddies. It doesn't take and she rises to take revenge.

There's more blood than the Kill Bill Crazy 88 fight, and it comes pouring out of only 4 people here. It's insane and brutal but is also overt about its points on objectification and the male gaze. It's incredibly stylish, like a Winding Refn movie, but with a smidgen more substance. Reminds me stylistically of Fury Road, Drive and any number of 70s grindhouse movies. It also turns exploitation on its head and inverts lots of expectations. Thought it was brilliant.
  • drhickman1983 12 May 2018 08:11:06 5,530 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Moana

Fairly recent Disney film. Started off a bit slow but got going after the first act. Visually pretty gorgeous, likebale characters and some good songs. Jermain Clement's cameo is a pretty big highlight, but the chicken "sidekick" stole the film.

Wouldn't say it's a classic, but if I'd seen it as a kid I'd probably love it.

7/10
  • Dougs 12 May 2018 10:21:41 86,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I think it's probably the best ever Disney. I've either come to that conclusion after watching it hundreds of times, or I've been brainwashed..
  • JoeBlade 12 May 2018 20:06:01 4,270 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Anon
    One for tah interwebs generation, anonimity in an entirely digital age being the shtick. It stars Clive Owen who is ok-ish, generally it's mostly forgettable though.

Pretty average.

Taken
    Before any of you get salty about... oh fudge it. I really hadn't seen this any earlier and thought it was extremely 'meh' to be honest. Not much else to be said.
  • drhickman1983 12 May 2018 20:25:05 5,530 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Death of Stalin

Satire based on the aftermath of Stalin's death. Think most folks here are familiar with it.

It's quite funny and witty, and I was laughing throughout. It was more chuckling than belly laughs, but nothing wrong with that.

The performances are uniformly excellent, it has to be one of the best ensemble casts I've seen.

8/10
  • Baihu1983 12 May 2018 21:42:54 10,418 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Batman Ninja

Things get crazy very quickly and it never slows down.

Watched it in English but they apparently completely changed around 80% of the script so I'll watch the Japanese version next week.
  • challenge_hanukkah 12 May 2018 21:46:16 8,025 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I couldn't think of much worse than having to sit through it a 2nd time.
  • Oldsheppy 13 May 2018 07:16:33 29 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    King Arthur Daley , absolutely appalling. They spent a lot on the cgi and forgot about the script and story. Dire. 3/10
  • Deleted user 13 May 2018 07:29:08
    Game Night

Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams play a competitive couple who host weekly game nights with friends. Bateman's more successful brother turns up and wants to host a night of his own, and things go awry.

I really enjoyed this. Some good laughs consistently all the way through. Jesse Plemons steals the show as a socially awkward neighbour.

8/10
  • DUFFMAN5 13 May 2018 09:05:33 23,520 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Oldsheppy wrote:
    King Arthur Daley , absolutely appalling. They spent a lot on the cgi and forgot about the script and story. Dire. 3/10
    But what did er' indoors think ;)
  • monkehhh 13 May 2018 09:21:11 4,984 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Taken
    Before any of you get salty about... oh fudge it. I really hadn't seen this any earlier and thought it was extremely 'meh' to be honest. Not much else to be said.
    .. can't believe this travesty of a review wasn't ripped to shreds instantly!

Taken - 10/10.
  • ChiefGB 13 May 2018 11:04:05 9,420 posts
    Seen 29 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Addyb_V2 wrote:
    Game Night

Jason Bateman and Rachel McAdams play a competitive couple who host weekly game nights with friends. Bateman's more successful brother turns up and wants to host a night of his own, and things go awry.

I really enjoyed this. Some good laughs consistently all the way through. Jesse Plemons steals the show as a socially awkward neighbour.

8/10
    Yes, saw this earlier this year, Great fun. There aren't actually many comedies these days that live up to their premise, but this did.
  • Deleted user 13 May 2018 11:18:45
    @ChiefGB

Yeah I thought it was great casting across the board. Everyone had their moments.
  • Tomo 13 May 2018 11:21:41 16,107 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    John Wick Ė 5/10

A succession of incompetent hitmen approach a former, very competent hitman one-by-one and get offed in a variety of ways. Liam Neeson grew his hair out for this one.
  • JoelStinty 13 May 2018 12:24:30 6,859 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    After the Storm

I may have to rewatch Koreedaís other films again but I think this may be his best yet.

The film follows Ryota, a one time successful novelist who is struggling to pay rent, child support and has a gambling habit. Upon the passing of his father he starts to take stock of his life. Not only does the film looks at his own dreams and aspirations but those of his parents and his son , what starts of a gentle drama of one affable but infuriating jack the lad man , by its conclusion left me reeling as the drama cuts across the emotional impact of missed opportunities and repeated failings but acceptance of family life across a generation of family members.

The script is fantastic but the dialogue and acting is some of the best I have seen in recent years, especially the interactions between Ryota and his mother. The connection between them too is really something. With that comes the atypical probing of family life from koreeda , but this time i think there is an added flair to his work, perhaps itís he inclusion of a more rogueish characters, or the nods to 40ís and 50ís cinema but it feels like he is having fun with this film and it comes across within it. Itís playful, funny at times but packs a punch when it needs too.

5/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 12:25:39 13-05-2018
  • sirtacos 13 May 2018 14:09:16 8,051 posts
    Seen 3 weeks ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    monkehhh wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Taken
    .. can't believe this travesty of a review wasn't ripped to shreds instantly!

Taken - 10/10.
    It's nothing short of a tragedy that Taken was made too late to be included on the Voyager spacecrafts' golden records.

Edited by sirtacos at 14:12:49 13-05-2018
  • beastmaster 13 May 2018 14:51:10 18,691 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    All The Money in the World - 7.5/10

Ridley Scott is back on form after the utterly atrocious and offensive Alien: Covenant and has crafted what I think is a fine thriller.

I think this is a really interesting story. The film does go to some lengths and the beginning and the end to say that the film was inspired by true events and that they took dramatic license with the events, so how close it is to the truth, I don't know.

Anyhow, brushing aside all the controversy surrounding the film, I think it's one of Scott's better ones. I think everyone in this film delivers great performances, especially Christopher Plummer who plays an extremely unlikable J. Paul Getty.

As it's a Ridley Scott film, it looks beautiful. Great cinematography throughout the entire film. I can't fault this film in that respect. Really captures the time of the story well.

I've only really got one complaint about the film. They throw in a chase scene towards the end of the film which just seems totally out of place, given all the events that have happened previously. I guess they wanted to throw in some last minute tension but the whole thing wasn't especially well done and it felt totally flat for me.

That aside though, everything else was fine. I'd definitely watch this again, if only for Plummer's performance playing such a vile individual.
  • Load_2.0 13 May 2018 15:33:12 28,010 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Outsider.

Jared Leto joins the Yakazu in post war Japan.

Should be a winner right?

Well instead it's a dull, turgid affair which lacks any suspense or originality.

3/10
  • oldschoolsoviet 13 May 2018 20:47:46 6,568 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I'll agree with that. It's just so plain, running the numbers.

Outrage Coda - 8/10

Thus I turned to this, the finale of Beat Takeshii's lil' trilogy. Proper scheming, double-crossing and manipulative Yakuza, which wraps up everything very nicely.

Perhaps they'll think about a boxset finally seeing as the second film Beyond never even had a UK release of any sort.
  • MadCaddy13 13 May 2018 21:20:11 2,966 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Kodachrome

65/100
  • nickthegun 13 May 2018 23:27:07 75,314 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    The Outsider.

No, it sounds dreadful.
  • askew 14 May 2018 09:08:23 17,490 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I lasted an hour.
  • Mola_Ram 14 May 2018 09:25:52 18,683 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    The Outsider.

No, it sounds dreadful.
    Correct. It sounds like the worst thing ever. Nobody could have possibly thought that this was a good idea, not even the people who made it.
  • Load_2.0 14 May 2018 09:30:18 28,010 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Load_2.0 wrote:
    The Outsider.

No, it sounds dreadful.
    You probably didn't understand the clever title.

Jared Leto IS the outsider. As he is a foreigner joining a Japanese gang that's almost entirely made up of Japanese folk.

He is an outsider to their culture and ways rather than a guy that lives in the jungle or forest and avoids buildings.
  • nickthegun 14 May 2018 10:52:58 75,314 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I liked that one where keanu was a samurai who fought ghosts and whatnot, but thats as far as I go.

That one with Tom cruise sucked ass.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 May 2018 10:58:36 16,313 posts
    Seen 32 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Last Samurai is great you monster.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.