Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3769

• Mola_Ram 1 Nov 2018 23:57:13 18,782 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Also saw Halloween 2018 this evening, was decent. Not especially gory though. Apart from a few bits I thought it was a bit toned down actually, not that it was an issue. It was on point with its style though with some spectacularly filmed scenes, and once “that” music kicks in its goosebumps time. Well worth a watch. 82/100
    t's funny that you say the gore is "toned down" in the new one. I agree that it's not especially gory, but neither was the original Halloween. It's only in the sequels that they ratcheted up the violence.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 23:58:27 01-11-2018
  • Mola_Ram 2 Nov 2018 00:00:07 18,782 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    (see, I did learn something after suffering through 4, 5 and 6, it was totally worth it!)
  • nickthegun 2 Nov 2018 07:21:54 75,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Superman 3 - Jesus, Billy Connelly is punching above his weight.

6/10
  • Chug666 2 Nov 2018 08:01:42 475 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Homesman 7.5/10

Bleak as all hell and pretty unpredictable for a western-ish. Possibly one of those films you enjoy/appreciate more after watching and pondering for a bit.
  • dominalien 2 Nov 2018 08:22:42 8,841 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Friday the 13th from 2009 on Netflix

It's actually pretty decent, except for some stupidity plot-wise. Like how the dude keeps the one girl alive when he off-handedly kills all the others or how they take the body to the lake to dump it in. I thought especially the latter was very, very poorly thought out and I'll take a point off for that.

6/10
  • Carlo 4 Nov 2018 20:29:21 20,354 posts
    Seen 58 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A Wrinkle in Time.

Absolutely shit/100

My kids and I spent most of the time taking the piss out of Oprah's eyebrows, which looked like they were designed by a child in Hoby Craft.

Edited by Carlo at 20:33:56 04-11-2018
  • nickthegun 4 Nov 2018 20:48:17 75,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, it's a real load of crap. It looks nice but it feels like it's 2hrs of a 3hr films and the best part of the plot was left on the editing room floor.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 4 Nov 2018 22:13:46 16,724 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    3 Billboards something something

Loved it. Great characters and everyone involved acted the shit out of it. In NowTV/Sky.

ESENTIAL
  • Frogofdoom 4 Nov 2018 22:15:59 10,560 posts
    Seen 1 second ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Yeah I thought it was great too.
  • Not-a-reviewer 4 Nov 2018 22:41:41 5,357 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Mandy.

Bit shit really 3/10
  • Mola_Ram 4 Nov 2018 23:12:06 18,782 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Dragon Tiger Gate

2006 Hong Kong actioner, just put on Netflix. It stars Donnie Yen, Nicholas Tse, and other people.

It's very stylish and comicbook-ey, which I guess is pretty appropriate for a comic book adaptation. The plot makes very little sense in some places, in that I think you're supposed to fill in some of the character blanks and motivations with knowledge of the source material. But I had none of that, so yeah... it's pretty loopy.

Still though, the style and cool fight sequences make it a definite RECOMEDED

7.5/10
  • sport 4 Nov 2018 23:13:14 14,651 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Den of Thieves

Quite liked the heisty bit but my God, Butler is irritating.

How does Gerard still get work/10
  • Rodney 5 Nov 2018 07:01:47 3,586 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Deadpool 2

Kind of like the first, a lot of fun to watch, but ultimately fairly forgettable. Somehow, despite being ridiculously violent and crass it seems to have more heart than most “serious” superhero movies.

Better than most Marvel movies.

Edited by Rodney at 07:10:58 05-11-2018
  • DUFFMAN5 5 Nov 2018 07:27:28 23,636 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The Girl on the Train (Netflix)
    Enjoyed it, I do like a bit of Emily Blunt and she played the part well. Fairly predictable, but still good none the less.
    70%
  • Gunzberg 5 Nov 2018 08:34:54 2,630 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Case 39

3/10

Utterly pointless movie
  • Blakester 5 Nov 2018 12:39:14 4,575 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    3 Billboards something something

Loved it. Great characters and everyone involved acted the shit out of it. In NowTV/Sky.

ESENTIAL
    Saw it this weekend too. Was worried it wouldn't meet my expectations as In Bruges is in my top 10 of all time - but loved it!

How does Sam Rockwell not get more roles? He's phenomenal in this.
  • Khanivor 5 Nov 2018 12:45:10 43,931 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Don’t you talk about my cunt kids
  • beastmaster 5 Nov 2018 12:51:46 18,729 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Deadpool 2 (Theatrical Cut) - 8/10

Bigger, louder, faster, more...but not better! I think it's an excellent sequel though but not on a par with the original.

Original director Tim Miller left this project over "creative differences". The real reasons are unknown to all but a few but it was strongly hinted at the time that the sequel was going to be a small, low-budget, compact film like the first. Ryan Reynolds apparently wanted it bigger and the two of them parted company. And we ended up with this...

I really enjoyed it. It certainly compares to the Marvel Studio films in terms of spectacle. Fox spent a LOT of money on this. I thought the action sequences were excellent as were most of the effects but where this film really shone was in the humour. It made me laugh. A lot.

The films got an opening credits sequence which I think is better than the original and it just carried on from there. The funniest scene taking place inside Xavier's mansion. The jokes mostly landed for me and there's a mid-credits sequence which I Ioved.

I've got to mention the new characters introduced in this film. I thought Cable and Domino was excellent. Firefist was just okay.

The only major disappointment was that Morena Baccarin didn't get much screen time. They decided to pretty much ditch the romance between Wade and Vanessa but I'm sure they'll find a way to bring it back in the next film.

I still prefer the original but this one isn't too far behind. I'm certainly looking forward to the sequel and I'll end up watching the Super-Duper cut which has an extra 15 minutes in it very soon. The cheeky buggers have been filming new scenes recently as they are doing a 12A/PG-13 version of the film which I believe they are going to release the same day as Aquaman.
  • vanDevious 5 Nov 2018 13:02:02 312 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bohemian rhapsody was surprisingly good. I didn't know much about the band so read after what was made up and obviously nearly all of it was but as a soppy sunday film it was very good.
  • GarlVinland 6 Nov 2018 09:41:13 3,751 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Friday the 13th (the original) - 4/10

Amazing it kicked off a long running franchise. It's pretty shit. And Jason isn't even in it. I watched the original Halloween after and it absolutely shits all over this in every department. Amateurish.

Jason X - 6/10

Also shit, but dumb fun shit. It looks lower budget than a Sharknado movie and is about as silly, but there's stupid fun to be had seeing Jason get an 'upgrade'.

Halloween (original) - 9/10

Incredible as always. John Carpenter is a master.
  • anephric 6 Nov 2018 10:02:28 3,003 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jason is in F13, he just isn't the Jason of later films. The Carrie ripoff shock ending with him makes no sense mind.
  • FredClintstone 6 Nov 2018 10:12:25 48 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    The Old Man And The Gun

Robert Redford plays an ageing gentleman bank robber who simply walks into banks, asks to speak to the manager, then very politely asks for all the money.

Really good and interesting film.

9/10
  • GarlVinland 6 Nov 2018 10:21:26 3,751 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Barely and unrecognisable, like you say. The ending makes no sense, but more than how his dear old mum managed to do everything you see in the film. After the reveal she fights much like my gran would.

Final Girls - 5/10

Parody of Jason-style slashers but it's not particularly clever. Looking at the genre now you'd think it would be ripe for an incisive takedown but the zingers here are pretty obvious.
  • Tonka 6 Nov 2018 11:49:17 28,662 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I remember seeing a slasher killer mockumentary many years ago. It was OK.

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon

Edited by Tonka at 11:49:43 06-11-2018
  • brokenkey 6 Nov 2018 13:42:14 9,945 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A nightmare on elm street (not the remake). 7/10

Never watched it before, so it was quite good, although no real idea what was a dream and what wasn't. Watched it with my HISHE/"Everything wrong with.." educated son who couldn't believe the lead wasn't aware of all the dangerous tropes from horror films.
  • beastmaster 6 Nov 2018 21:31:18 18,729 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    First Reformed - 7/10

This film has been hyped as writer/director Paul Schrader's return to form. The trailer is heavy with praise from various critics and...well...it's pretty good, but I was expecting a lot more from it.

It's a very slow, sombre film which has a message about the environment. I think it's very heavy-handed to the point where I felt it was trying to bludgeon me at every possible opportunity. What made the film bearable was the excellent performance from Ethan Hawke and the rest of the supporting cast.

Not only that, I was really curious to see where the film was going to go. The trailer kind of spoils it a little but I must admit that knowing that scene was coming up and where the story was possibly going to go also kept me interested. I think the 4:3 aspect ratio of the film really helped in keeping the focus on what was going on. It's got the letter boxing on the side of the picture as oped to top and bottom so it felt like I was watching it on an old CRT television.

For me, it's a film more to be admired rather than enjoyed. The film has a lot going for it in terms of performances, soundtrack, cinematography etc but the constant ramming of the environmental issues and the sudden, abrupt and rather unsatisfying ending brings it down.

It's great to see Schrader on somewhat of a comeback. When he truly hits form I think he's one of the best out there.
  • GarlVinland 6 Nov 2018 21:44:20 3,751 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widows - 9/10

I'd dismissed this as just another heist movie until I saw it was directed by Steve McQueen. It reminds me of Inside Man, another movie made by a usually indie filmmaker who makes a pure genre film (a heist one too) that retains all of their usual character and style, but this movie is way, way better.

It's an absolutely stacked cast, Jon Bernthal is in it for maybe 60 seconds, Garrett Dillahunt for 5 mins total. Viola Davis gets the most screentime and is absolutely colossal, as is Elizabeth Debicki, and really most of the cast.

The story is compelling from start to finish. It's about a group of criminals who steal from the wrong man, it goes south and their widows are left to foot the bill. They team up to pull off a heist, which sounds like Ocean's 8 but is the tonal opposite. It's sinewy and tense and some scenes are extremely elegant. There's also themes of race and the current political environment integral to it, but it never labours these points.

For all that it's extremely well put together and sometimes plain arty, it's ultimately also the most purely entertaining movie of McQueen's career so far, IMO.
  • askew 6 Nov 2018 22:07:11 17,760 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Bad Times at the El Royale - 7/10

Entertaining, though perhaps 15 minutes too long: the final act loses a touch of momentum. Cracking soundtrack and cast, particularly Cynthia Erivo as Darlene. I hope that was actually her singing.
  • Tonka 7 Nov 2018 06:30:40 28,662 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @askew it is. It's not even recorded in a soundbooth afterwards but taken live on set.
    https://youtu.be/PoWO-oLllfY?t=130
  • You-can-call-me-kal 7 Nov 2018 07:12:26 12,646 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    If I was a film, I think I’d probably try and bludgeon beastmaster at every opportunity.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.