Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3770

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 7 Nov 2018 07:18:41 16,724 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Beastmaster is a man who reviews films. Films that he has watched. Beastmaster reviews the films he has watched.
  • askew 7 Nov 2018 08:24:44 17,760 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tonka wrote:
    @askew it is. It's not even recorded in a soundbooth afterwards but taken live on set.
    https://youtu.be/PoWO-oLllfY?t=130
    :o Awesome
  • nickthegun 7 Nov 2018 10:33:33 75,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Story of Ricky - I give this a watch every now and again because it's kind of amazing. Who doesn't like a kung-fu Dead Alive?

It's the kind of now internet famous, formerly playground famous (I think I first saw it when I was like 14 in the mid 90s) movie everyone here knows about but, if you haven't, at least check out the trailer on YouTube.

When clownshoes say 'turn off your brain and enjoy it' this is the kind of film they should be talking about, not Transformers or the fucking Justice League.

9/10

Edited by nickthegun at 10:34:06 07-11-2018
  • Mola_Ram 7 Nov 2018 10:43:34 18,782 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @nickthegun have you read the Riki-Oh manga? It's very much worth it, if you liked the movie.
  • nickthegun 7 Nov 2018 10:44:42 75,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, its even more out there. The final chapter is just stupid.
  • Max_Powers 7 Nov 2018 10:47:39 1,239 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    First Reformed - 7/10

This film has been hyped as writer/director Paul Schrader's return to form. The trailer is heavy with praise from various critics and...well...it's pretty good, but I was expecting a lot more from it.

It's a very slow, sombre film which has a message about the environment. I think it's very heavy-handed to the point where I felt it was trying to bludgeon me at every possible opportunity. What made the film bearable was the excellent performance from Ethan Hawke and the rest of the supporting cast.

Not only that, I was really curious to see where the film was going to go. The trailer kind of spoils it a little but I must admit that knowing that scene was coming up and where the story was possibly going to go also kept me interested. I think the 4:3 aspect ratio of the film really helped in keeping the focus on what was going on. It's got the letter boxing on the side of the picture as oped to top and bottom so it felt like I was watching it on an old CRT television.

For me, it's a film more to be admired rather than enjoyed. The film has a lot going for it in terms of performances, soundtrack, cinematography etc but the constant ramming of the environmental issues and the sudden, abrupt and rather unsatisfying ending brings it down.

It's great to see Schrader on somewhat of a comeback. When he truly hits form I think he's one of the best out there.
    I'd also rate First Reformed around the 7 or 8 out of ten mark. I didn't believe his radicalization at the end after seeing his compassionate, genuine interactions with other before that. Interesting story about grief and religion. It stuck with me for a few days.
  • Your-Mother 7 Nov 2018 16:26:47 2,152 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Beastmaster is a man who reviews films. Films that he has watched. Beastmaster reviews the films he has watched.
    All beastmaster's reviews look the same after a while. It's hard to tell his Denzel Washington reviews apart from his Jamie Foxx reviews. I mean, they all look so alike really.
  • dominalien 7 Nov 2018 17:34:21 8,841 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Nieve Negra on Netflix, apparently called Black Snow in English

Argentinian film about family issues.

Itís all very pretty with the countryside and the snow. There are some very serious issues. I liked it a lot. A point off for some plot details which could have been better thought out.

7/10
  • JoelStinty 8 Nov 2018 02:39:23 6,878 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Trainspotting

One of those films that for some reason I never watched. And I loved it. Itís hard to go into a film that is practically universally loved but even by todayís standards the film making is fresh and vibrant. I can just imagine seeing this in the late 90s and going wow. Very music videoy and it sits in that era where Chris Cunningham etc were all working so it just kind of epitomes that era of new ideas etc.

Great cast of characters, a film that elates you one moment and crushes you next. And as someone who has always had a thing for kelly McDonald I was pleasantly surprised. ( she was 26 at that time! Had to check)

5/5
  • GarlVinland 8 Nov 2018 10:52:33 3,751 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Overlord - 4/10

Zombies in Nazi-occupied France. Not the easy slam-dunk it should be. Piles up cliche after cliche, ones which Scream already eviscerated 2 decades ago, and tension is only generated by characters' stupidity. It starts promisingly enough but by the end it's a shitshow.

At one point it was rumoured this was a Cloververse movie, and honestly if it was it might have been more interesting than what we got.
  • RawShark 8 Nov 2018 11:03:10 446 posts
    Seen 17 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    BoHoRhapSo - 3/10

If there's an interesting story to tell about Queen, it's not in this film.

Edited by RawShark at 11:03:35 08-11-2018
  • Dougs 8 Nov 2018 11:04:13 87,067 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Trainspotting

One of those films that for some reason I never watched. And I loved it. Itís hard to go into a film that is practically universally loved but even by todayís standards the film making is fresh and vibrant. I can just imagine seeing this in the late 90s and going wow. Very music videoy and it sits in that era where Chris Cunningham etc were all working so it just kind of epitomes that era of new ideas etc.

Great cast of characters, a film that elates you one moment and crushes you next. And as someone who has always had a thing for kelly McDonald I was pleasantly surprised. ( she was 26 at that time! Had to check)

5/5
    I'd love to watch Trainspotting for the first time again! One of my all time favourites, definite top 10. Pleased it hasn't aged - it totally blew me away.

If you haven't read the books, you should. As you say, amazing characters, with loads of flaws and depth!
  • mangojoe 8 Nov 2018 11:22:41 2,098 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Widows 7/10

Decent film but way too slow
  • nickthegun 8 Nov 2018 11:57:00 75,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    I'd love to watch Trainspotting for the first time again! One of my all time favourites, definite top 10. Pleased it hasn't aged - it totally blew me away.
    Funnily enough I was thinking about this the other day.

A few days ago Red Letter Media did a Re:View on Hackers (with Macaulay Culkin, no less) which has aged abysmally and every clip they showed was accompanied by banging 90s techno, some of which I still listen to (underworld, leftfield and so on) which was kind of mortifying.

Then I was in the car yesterday and Born Slippy came on and it's the first time in 15 years that I have been able to listen to it without cringing. It was one of those things where people miss the point so hard, it kills it.

Anyway, yeah, mid-late 90s movies have become really dated by their soundtracks, less so for trainspotting as that is a pretty iconic set of tunes but stuff like the matrix suffers from the propellerheads kicking in every five minutes.

I'm sure there's a point in here somewhere...
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Nov 2018 12:07:03 8,397 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    That the 90s should stay where they are.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2018-11-07-dave-perrys-youtuber-debut-shows-some-things-are-best-left-in-the-nineties
  • Alastair 8 Nov 2018 12:17:00 22,691 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Surely he's written enough reviews to finish his GCSE English course. In that, he writes a lot of reviews, and they read like he's doing GCSE English, and I think he's done enough of them now.
  • dominalien 8 Nov 2018 13:07:57 8,841 posts
    Seen 39 seconds ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Temple

A few Americans go to Japan to see some temples. They see just one.

It's alright until stuff starts happening (which is only the last 20 minutes or so in a sub-1.5hrs film). When it does, it's so random and disjointed it has no effect whatsoever beyond a cursory scare. In fact, I find only one scene to be actually effective, when the children come up through the floor, the rest is just whatever.

I'd give it some 7/10 for the first part, but the finale brings it down to a 3/10
  • elstoof 8 Nov 2018 13:24:46 21,552 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    That the 90s should stay where they are.

Might give Paulie Shoreís films another chance this weekend
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Nov 2018 13:27:03 8,397 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I used to threaten my kid a viewing of Bio-Dome to get them to behave when they were younger.
  • elstoof 8 Nov 2018 13:29:41 21,552 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Actually do wonder how those early Kevin Smith films hold up though
  • L0cky 8 Nov 2018 13:46:31 2,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Rewatched Edward Scissor Hands last night for the first time since release. Tempted to give it a 10/10 when I was expecting it to be a 6 or 7. It's almost perfect within its own scope (or snow globe might be more fitting).
  • L0cky 8 Nov 2018 13:48:57 2,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @elstoof I'm scared to rewatch them to be honest. Have a feeling they may have been overrated. Maybe Clerks is the most likely to hold up.
  • richarddavies 8 Nov 2018 13:49:29 6,516 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I used to threaten my kid a viewing of Bio-Dome to get them to behave when they were younger.
    It's a punishment for theft in some countries.
  • elstoof 8 Nov 2018 14:23:27 21,552 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Please, just take my hand
  • elstoof 8 Nov 2018 14:25:16 21,552 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    Rewatched Edward Scissor Hands last night for the first time since release. Tempted to give it a 10/10 when I was expecting it to be a 6 or 7. It's almost perfect within its own scope (or snow globe might be more fitting).
    That era of Burton films stand up pretty well now, I think itís because they were already sort of dated when new
  • L0cky 8 Nov 2018 14:30:49 2,028 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Watching Beetle Juice tonight, hope the same happens. Distinctly remember hating the tone of the film, but I was only 9 or 10 so might have gotten a touch of the heebie jeebies.
  • nickthegun 8 Nov 2018 14:40:04 75,548 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I watched it a few weeks ago. I think it holds up really well, the tone is great and it's really inventive.

I was reading a Michael Keaton interview recently that said they always wanted to do a sequel but the magic of Beetlejuice is that he appear after 45 minutes and only has 17 minutes of screen time, which is all he needs as the character is so explosive. They couldn't figure out how to make a sequel with him as the main character, as the studio wanted, without making him an annoying arsehole, so it never happened.
  • GarlVinland 8 Nov 2018 14:46:06 3,751 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    L0cky wrote:
    @elstoof I'm scared to rewatch them to be honest. Have a feeling they may have been overrated. Maybe Clerks is the most likely to hold up.
    Rewatched Clerks, Mallrats, Dogma, Jay and Silent Bob and Chasing Amy quite recently. All shit now, IMHO. Pulp Fiction came out the same year as Clerks and has barely aged, whereas those movies all feel like relics now.
  • challenge_hanukkah 8 Nov 2018 14:49:32 8,397 posts
    Seen 7 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I always thought Kevin Smith was a bit shit.

I thought Clerks and Mallrats were OK at the time, but they've not aged well.
  • elstoof 8 Nov 2018 15:02:11 21,552 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The thing that really turns me off the idea of rewatching any Smith films is how fucking annoying Jason Lee is

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.