Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3771

• glaeken 8 Nov 2018 15:06:15 11,932 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    V for Vendetta - 7/10 - It holds up pretty well though I did find V's ramblings a little annoying this time though.

Into the woods - 1/10- God I hated this. A turgid musical with terrible music that felt like it would never end. It's so awful even the inclusion of James Corden can't really make it any worse. It's one awful repetitive song after another most of which are spoken sung rather than actually involving any singing. I very much doubt I would have made it through the whole thing if it were not for the fact my other half wanted to watch it.
  • beastmaster 8 Nov 2018 15:09:07 18,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Alastair wrote:
    Decks wrote:
    Beastmaster is a man who reviews films. Films that he has watched. Beastmaster reviews the films he has watched.
    Surely he's written enough reviews to finish his GCSE English course. In that, he writes a lot of reviews, and they read like he's doing GCSE English, and I think he's done enough of them now.
    I did O Levels when I was a lad. I think my writing skills are on par with George Lucas, except without his creative genius.
  • Your-Mother 8 Nov 2018 15:34:57 2,152 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Hackers is awesome nick wtf

All sys admins use "god" as their password you know.
  • nickthegun 8 Nov 2018 15:44:57 75,548 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I use 'SEX' because my pentium II is next level
  • eleven63 8 Nov 2018 21:50:25 2,332 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Moon - 2001 for the nougties. But : interesting, thought provoking, and I didn't get it.... Where was the shooty shooty bang bang!
  • monkman76 8 Nov 2018 22:41:17 13,638 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Hateful Eight
    That's a Tarantino-ass Tarantino movie.
  • anephric 8 Nov 2018 23:29:19 3,003 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:That era of Burton films stand up pretty well now, I think itís because they were already sort of dated when new
    Indeed. Beetlejuice was made in a lo-fi funky anything-goes sort of way. I've always loved it and watching it again recently really reinforced how ridiculously inventive it is. When you watch early Burton stuff - Pee-Wee, Beetlejuice, Edward Scissorhands - it underlines how bloated and lazy his schtick got later on. Alice in Wonderland is a fucking turd, but made a billion.

Ed Wood really is his best film. It's completely heartfelt, no matter how much it plays with the facts.
  • thelzdking 9 Nov 2018 01:02:39 8,612 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Burton has been a hack for at least ten years.
  • QBX 9 Nov 2018 10:32:04 4 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Into the Woods

(Refers people to glaekens post above)

Been in agony with the kidneys so needed something that didn't need much concentration. Had the film finished around the 75 minute mark then it would have served its purpose as a forgettable Disney musical but they somehow managed to drag it out.

James Corden/10
  • Cappy 9 Nov 2018 11:47:31 13,933 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mandy 2018

Visually captivating. There's a dreamlike quality throughout Mandy, at an underlying level it's a pretty standard revenge film but it does everything right to make that format work and then some. Interesting and thoroughly hateful villains get their comeuppance and it hits so many weird and memorable notes. As I previously mentioned it looks fantastic, swathes of over-saturated colour and contrasting pools of shadow are used to great effect to evoke mood. It's nice to watch something where the tone and colour balance actually look different to everything else that's been released recently, Mandy feels like it came from an alternate 1980s.

Be forewarned; the sight of a blood drenched, flabby, enraged Nicholas Cage screaming and stomping around a bathroom in bulging, tighty whitie underpants will probably form a mental scar and stay with you.

95%
  • sirtacos 9 Nov 2018 12:15:01 8,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Your description already left an indelible mark in my psyche so now I may as well watch it
  • Mola_Ram 10 Nov 2018 05:54:39 18,782 posts
    Seen 32 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Geostorm

I... I don't know why I watched this. I'd read reviews back when it was released, I knew what the result would be. It stars Gerard Butler, ffs. How could it be a good movie?

And... it wasn't. It was transcendentally shit, not even in a weird funny way like some Roland Emmerich monstrosities are. Lesson (probably not) learned.

2/10
  • gooner77 10 Nov 2018 12:33:35 1,334 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Jurassic World 2- 6/10

Decent enough but felt like they were constantly retreading story beats from previous Jurassic films.

The island scenes were the best section of the film then it slowly ran out of steam for the last hour.
  • elstoof 10 Nov 2018 14:29:21 21,549 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    thelzdking wrote:
    Canít decide if Sleepy Hollow or Big Fish was the turning point
  • anephric 10 Nov 2018 14:40:27 3,003 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Big Fish. Sleepy Hollow is pretty decent, Big Fish is a foul twee mess.
  • Syrette 10 Nov 2018 19:05:23 50,013 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Widows - 9/10

So good. Tremendously well paced, well acted and just throughly good rainy Saturday afternoon entertainment.
  • spindle9988 10 Nov 2018 20:00:14 4,778 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    elstoof wrote:
    thelzdking wrote:
    Canít decide if Sleepy Hollow or Big Fish was the turning point
    Frankenweenie was a brilliant film.
  • AddyJB 10 Nov 2018 20:05:12 332 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    Can't decide on tonight's viewing.

Upgrade or Mandy.
  • challenge_hanukkah 10 Nov 2018 20:12:02 8,395 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Upgrade! Upgrade!
  • retro74 10 Nov 2018 22:01:18 2,550 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Watched Bohemian Rhapsody earlier. Itís a pretty cheap, made for TV affair but the songs are so iconic and such a large part of my life growing up that I quite enjoyed it

6 out of 10

Not seen the cinema so packed for years - must have done decent box office money
  • Anthony_UK 10 Nov 2018 23:09:00 2,942 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Outlaw King 7/10

Chris Pine staring as a Scottish freedom fighter just sounded wrong on many levels for me, but it works. He nails the accent and dials back the charisma and wise cracks to the point of being unrecognisable persona wise to anything else I've seen him in.

Even in tone the movie is much more grounded and gritty that what I imagined. Think Braveheart meets early seasons of GOT. With all the positives, the strange thing for me personally was that despite great acting, cinematography and battles I didn't feel attached or invested in what was going on, on screen. It just felt a little flat.

Definitely worth a watch though.
  • sirtacos 11 Nov 2018 06:27:58 8,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    Upgrade! Upgrade!
  • beastmaster 11 Nov 2018 13:22:24 18,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Bohemian Rhapsody - 9/10

By rights, this I should have been extremely disappointed in this film. Yet despite the film's problems, I absolutely loved it. I think it's one of the most entertaining and feel good films I've seen all year.

I'll cover the negatives first.

The film has every possible cliche that you can possibly think of. The films just littered with them. In terms of narrative I think it's very much rinse and repeat, especially in the first half of the film. The film very much glosses over the darker side what Freddy did when it came to sex, drugs and drinking. It's very sugar coated and totally inoffensive. I don't think there's not a lot of dept to the film as it has too much of a timeline to cover. The film makers have also changed facts, some quite major ones for 'dramatic effect'. The most obvious one being that Freddy was not diagnosed with AIDS before Live Aid.

However...

None of the above bothered me. Not. One. Bit.

I thought the film had such gusto and energy that I couldn't help but get sucked into it. I thought Rami Malek was absolutely brilliant as Freddie Mercury. I don't think any of the other actors nominated for Best Actor at the Oscars need bother writing an acceptance speech as I think he's nailed it. While they're at it, Best Supporting Actor to Gwilym Lee as Brian May. The entire cast is superb though, even actors in the minor roles.

The constant Queen soundtrack is obviously brilliant. I think Malek's lip-synching is superb and I really did believe that he was belting out those songs in the film. Going back to the 'dramatic effect' method of story telling, whilst I was questioning the accuracy of how they came about some of the songs, I thought the way this was depicted in this film was probably way cooler than what actually happened.

The film's been criticised for not being very cinematic and having a made for TV biopic feel. Whilst I think that's true to some extent I though the recreation of Live Aid was utterly gob-smacking. That certainly justifies seeing it on a big screen for me.

With Brian May and Roger Taylor producing the film, the only thing I think we were going to get is a feel good, highly entertaining, puff piece film reminding us of what made Queen such a great band. I loved this film and will definitely go and see it again soon.

Saw this in a packed cinema and I found it quite amusing that when the songs were on, you could see the audiences feet tapping.
  • chopsen 11 Nov 2018 13:32:28 20,281 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Sorry to Bother You

Took a while to grow on me: more of a slow build satire than lol funny. Reminds me a bit of early Terry Gilliam at his weirdest. I enjoyed it, wife hated it.

7/10
  • beastmaster 11 Nov 2018 15:22:57 18,729 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Overlord - 4/10

Overlord? Over-bored more like! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Ha! Umm...

God, I found this film dull. It blows it's wad on the admittedly good opening sequence and then just gets incredibly dull very quickly. It stays that way for what seems like an eternity.

Once the juice started flowing late into the film, I got slightly more interested. But even with zombies running around, I didn't find it was that great.

File under snoozer!
  • anephric 11 Nov 2018 17:04:32 3,003 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    chopsen wrote:
    Sorry to Bother You

Took a while to grow on me: more of a slow build satire than lol funny. Reminds me a bit of early Terry Gilliam at his weirdest. I enjoyed it, wife hated it.

7/10
    It's on a par with the weirdest episodes of Atlanta (like the Teddy Perkins one), and then goes balls deep in weird in the last reel. I don't think this last section really works, but up until that bit (you'll know when) I think it hit every mark it was going for and a few more just for jolly.

Pretty fucking good. If you like Atlanta you'll like (at least) two thirds of this.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Nov 2018 21:09:44 16,720 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    You Were Never Really Here (On Amazon Prime)

Joaquin Phoenix acts the shit out of it.

RECOMENNDED

Darkest Hour

Gary Oldman acts the shit out if it.

RECOMENNDED
  • The-Bodybuilder 11 Nov 2018 23:54:29 17,330 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Outlaw King - 6.5/10.
  • Your-Mother 12 Nov 2018 00:10:37 2,152 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Speaking of Joaquim Phoenix acting the shit out of it, Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far On Foot is excellent, even if you had zero idea about the guy it's about.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.