Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3778

• challenge_hanukkah 26 Nov 2018 12:25:59 10,712 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I went to see Fantastic beasts 2 last week and while not offended in any way, I don't remember a thing about it. I was the same with the first one.

Having said that, I don't really like the way they're shot. It's dark, fuzzy and indistinct. It was hard to make out what the hell was going on at times.
  • RedPanda87 26 Nov 2018 16:31:28 1,885 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Like Father, Like Son

Because my local cinema isn't showing Shoplifters I settled for renting this. It's good. Sweet. Gentle. This is my second Koreeda film and I definitely plan to watch more.

8/10

Edited by RedPanda87 at 16:31:40 26-11-2018
  • Deleted user 26 November 2018 16:53:51
    challenge_hanukkah wrote:
    I went to see Fantastic beasts 2 last week and while not offended in any way, I don't remember a thing about it. I was the same with the first one.

Having said that, I don't really like the way they're shot. It's dark, fuzzy and indistinct. It was hard to make out what the hell was going on at times.
    I thought it was OK. The first one was a bit better as it mostly avoided the trap of nods and winks to the larger Potter world, which I have almost no idea about.

Even on its own merits this was far too convoluted in places. There's a scene near the end where all the main characters stand around literally just telling the audience what is going on. It lasts a good 10 minutes and really shouldn't be necessary if the rest of the plot was told in a coherent fashion.

It's been interesting to see that the Harry Potter fanbase has turned on it to some extent and started nitpicking all the plot holes. They're probably only 1 more average film away from going full toxic and J K Rowling being thrown in the stocks.

As someone who has never owned any Hogwarts pyjamas and has only a passing interest in the films of the franchise, it was perfectly decent and Newt is a very good character. Shame this film lets him down a bit by saddling his story with the history and B plot of the Harry Potter books and films.

66%/10.

Edited by Jyzzy-Z at 16:58:03 26-11-2018
  • Deleted user 26 November 2018 17:03:06
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    dominalien wrote:
    Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald

I've not seen the first one.

I would have liked it if I understood what it was all about.

4/10

The first line sort of helps here
    I watched the first one again after seeing 2 in the cinema, and to be fair it didn't really help much.

I think you need an encyclopedic knowledge of the books to get the most out of it.
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Nov 2018 18:56:46 17,704 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago

Widows: 8/10

Not quite sure if expectations coloured my review somewhat. I wasn't generally hyped for the movie, but heard talk of Oscars so was quite intrigued. Definitely isn't Oscar-worthy material tbh.

The shots in the film are amazing, and probably the best part of the movie. Viola Davis was amazing, but nothing beyond her range, I feel (maybe I'm being harsh). Michelle Rod was Michelle Rod, and The Destoyer from the Thor universe (cunningly disguised as an actress called Elizabeth Debicki) was probably the pick of the female actresses. Best performance for me went to Daniel Kaluuya and his portrayal as the bad guy's bro and second in command. Also loved Steve McQueen's portrayal of both Daniel's character and the main baddie, Jamaal; exploring that classic black hypocriscy of evil men attending church without any hint of irony, and even Daniel's character commiting acts whilst listening to a sermon (and ofcourse the classic corrupt preacher). Only wish there was more of Jon Bernthal, who I'm a big fan of.

Did find plot intruiging but felt it fell down in the last 15 mins where it all just ties up way too neatly.
    Also felt it went into blind alleys a bit. Colin Firth's character was heavily explored and developed yet his character's development wasn't integral to the plot at all. Same for Violet's driver.

Overall it's a film where it's genius is a lot more subtle, just let down by the end of the plot for me.
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Nov 2018 18:59:02 17,704 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Best moment for me was when my friend and I tried to sneak into the VIP seats expecting no one else to be there, but surrounded by an entourage who kindly asked us to get up and was sitting in the seat of one of my sporting heroes in Nigel Benn (along with his brothers and his son Conor). We had met before, so it felt pretty cool when he said "you don't want to be sitting in my seat, son".
  • The-Bodybuilder 26 Nov 2018 18:59:03 17,704 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Post deleted
  • MadCaddy13 26 Nov 2018 19:58:37 3,027 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ty
  • el_pollo_diablo 26 Nov 2018 21:19:42 2,951 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bone Tomahawk.

85/100. Itís a throwback to cannibal exploitation movies but dressed up as a Western. Really enjoyed it, despite the long running time.

Edited by el_pollo_diablo at 21:21:54 26-11-2018
  • JoelStinty 27 Nov 2018 14:31:36 7,840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Stardust

Decent. A bit clunky and for some reason it doesnít fulfill itís promise but itís still enjoyable and rather charming. The film suffers from moving at a hundred mile an hour as it tries to cram in all the story beats, which is peculiar as the book itself is really short. I guess it is a testament to Gaimanís writing in that he doesnít waste a single word or space.

3/5
  • chopsen 27 Nov 2018 21:21:38 20,499 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    vanDevious wrote:
    I finally watched Deadpool 2 this weekend, it was excellent. Feel like I read more than a few negative reviews on here so I don't want to enthuse too much at risk of riling up the locals but it was basically perfect and I won't hear a bad word said about it.
    Agree completely apart from not ruling up the locals because quite frankly they're idiots and what do they know so fuck them. Thought the first was fun but everybody went way over the top about it. The sequel was brilliant and barely a duff second of screen time. Fight me.
  • Mola_Ram 27 Nov 2018 21:40:03 20,091 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    They were both perfectly fine. If you think otherwise, tell me where you live, I'll come over and gut you like a fish.
  • Deleted user 27 November 2018 21:45:25
    JoelStinty wrote:
    doesnít fulfill itís promise but
    This is a forum announcement. Can user Kal report to the thread. User Kal to the thread. Thank you.
  • Your-Mother 27 Nov 2018 23:31:24 2,764 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Holy Christ, The Predator is such an utter turd of a film. It's so disjointed and poorly edited. The only way to describe it is that it feels like every minute of film is missing at least ten seconds of establishing shots or dialogue, as things just happen without rhyme or reason.

Shane Black is a one-note hack who got lucky enough to find actors with enough charisma and personality to handle his absolutely horrid 90s dialogue. There's not a single line of this film that works.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 28 Nov 2018 07:25:34 19,711 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I'm kind of looking forward to watching it to see how bad it is.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Nov 2018 07:31:22 24,527 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Decks
    For the love of everything
    I will say yet again the film is FUCKING SHITE, why are people still wanting to view it. It is the worst film I have ever had the misfortune to pay money to go and see at the cinema.
  • Mola_Ram 28 Nov 2018 08:19:32 20,091 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    The Dark Tower

I heard that it was a mess, but I wanted to see for myself as I (mostly) loved the books.

And it was... fine? I guess? I liked the casting of Roland and Flagg (and Idris Elba at least was fantastic), but man I wish they could have been in a better movie, with a better script.

But it wasn't terrible. Just the sort of thing that I probably won't remember having seen in 5 years. There was enough good in it to make me interested in a sequel - as far as the books go, the best is yet to come - but there probably won't be one.

So yeah, disappointing.

4/10
  • el_pollo_diablo 28 Nov 2018 11:04:42 2,951 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yeah The Predator is just a car crash. I'd kind of be interested in seeing what it might have turned out like before they reshot half the movie, as you can so clearly see that it's two completely different movies badly edited into 90 minutes.

It's strange because Shane Black does have past form - I thought The Nice Guys was great, and Iron Man 3 was above average (for a Marvel movie, at least). He can direct, and he can write genre movies.

I rewatched Nimrod Antal's Predators fairly recently, and whilst that's no masterpiece, it does at least have an idea of what it wants to be - and does a pretty passable job of it.

Edited by el_pollo_diablo at 11:06:03 28-11-2018
  • robthehermit 28 Nov 2018 11:41:11 7,291 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Trading Places.

Jamie Lee Curtis has magnificent boobs/100.
  • DUFFMAN5 28 Nov 2018 13:56:16 24,527 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Trading Places.

They are called breasts and everybody has them, apart from maybe Adolf Hitler.

She also has a great body! see True Lies ;)

oh yes and also, rob you sexiest pig, you disgust me.

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 13:56:36 28-11-2018
  • robthehermit 28 Nov 2018 14:08:43 7,291 posts
    Seen 17 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    DUFFMAN5 wrote:
    robthehermit wrote:
    Trading Places.

They are called breasts and everybody has them, apart from maybe Adolf Hitler.

She also has a great body! see True Lies ;)

oh yes and also, rob you sexiest pig, you disgust me.
    In my defence, it was actually Mrs Hermit who proclaimed that JLC has magnificent boobs while we were watching it. I am merely the messenger.
  • kentmonkey 28 Nov 2018 15:59:12 22,981 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    /read as massager
    Got confused
    Then disappointed
  • Gunzberg 28 Nov 2018 17:29:09 2,704 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Lincoln 5/10

Steven Spielberg, Daniel Day-Lewis, after 2,5 hrs I expected better than this forgettable excerpt
  • retro74 28 Nov 2018 19:48:17 2,850 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I enjoyed The Predator but I enjoyed Jamie Lee Curtisís boobs more on reflection
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 28 Nov 2018 23:37:08 10,229 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them: The Crimes of Grindelwald

I really enjoyed this but it does come with the caveat that the first one was it's own thing whereas this one very much felt like a middle chapter of a larger whole. A case of the MCUs if you will.

Felt a lot more tied to the world of the parent franchise too which was nice.

8/10
  • RedPanda87 29 Nov 2018 14:55:08 1,885 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hotel Artemis

I was pleasantly surprised by this. It wasn't anything special, but I expected a lot less given the reviews. Probably helps that I have a thing for the setting and theme, but still. It's a bit meandering but with some good actors, good lines and good scenes in a slightly different setting to the norm.

7/10
  • JoelStinty 30 Nov 2018 04:06:12 7,840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In flight entertainment round up!

Incredibles 2

Enjoyed this. To be honest the whole action side of it I could have done without. It felt derivative. But the film flourishes when it spends time in the day to day life of the incredibles family. I could easily watch a film just set in their house. The animation and ideas were inventive and vibrant as well as capturing all the little details that make up family life with a good humour. Good.

4/5

Kong Skull Island

2/3rds of a really enjoyable film here that I just went with. It has its own style and itís directed with confidence. The journey through the island captures the awe and adventure that a good adventure film should do. Just a shame it Loses it in the last third where it just becomes any other blockbuster film and falling into b movie cliches that I guess to be fair influences the film in large ways. It was just that the film was doing that and more in the first two thirds. Suprised me in a good way

4/5

Mission impossible: Fallout

I donít think watching this on a airplane monitor does this film justice, but what it does do is just shows all its flaws and to be honest how bored I was with it.

There is a fine art in Spy thrillers to having the hero almost losing his undercover identity. When done well it adds so much to the film, but done clunkly it can ruin it. Which this film does on a number of occasions. It just pulls you out of the whole film when itís so ducking obvious that something isnít right and the bad guys just donít notice it. It really irks me when films or tv shows do this. Itís criminal.

Also, in the words of Henry Cavillís character Ďwhy do you have to make this so fucking complicatedí. Itís one of those where youíre not sure within an hour in whoís backstabbing who anymore. Just lost patience with the whole film. Wankers. Also the series really has the worst set of side characters going. I was kind of hoping the films end game was going to happen so we can ust get rid of them all. They havenít evolved from MI:3 or Ghost Protocol (best two films in the franchise for me) in any meaningful way

In many ways the films have lost their spy elements in recent iterations and it is all about the set pieces. And they are rather good. But that is all the films are now. Just a vehicle for Tom cruise to get off on jumping from helicopters or riding motorbikes are silly speeds.

Donít know if was the monitor or not, but I did like the 90ís look they went with in regards to lighting and how they shot the peices

2/5

Edited by JoelStinty at 04:13:06 30-11-2018
  • Mola_Ram 30 Nov 2018 07:27:46 20,091 posts
    Seen 23 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I can't really confirm it either way, but I'd imagine that the excitement of something like M:I Fallout would be lost on a tiny screen with crap sound. Which is not to say that you would have necessarily loved it on the big screen, but some movies really do need a big screen for the best experience.

Edited by Mola_Ram at 07:28:03 30-11-2018
  • JoelStinty 30 Nov 2018 08:00:11 7,840 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Yeah I would imagine so. It has two big set pieces that are designed around big wide open spaces that would look incredible on an imax screen. Actually the last set peice reminded me a lot of uncharted thinking about it
  • CosmicFuzz 30 Nov 2018 08:15:52 32,585 posts
    Seen 2 months ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, I loved Fallout, and part of that was definitely just watching the action set pieces/stunts on a massive screen.

Story isn't the strongest, sure, but it's all about dem Cruise stunts baby.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.