Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3779

• Decks Best Forumite, 2016 30 Nov 2018 08:19:38 17,188 posts
    Seen 14 seconds ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    At least Cruise would have looked life size.
  • challenge_hanukkah 30 Nov 2018 08:20:19 8,847 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Is it better than Fallout 76?
  • Mola_Ram 30 Nov 2018 11:53:17 18,925 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    One Cut of the Dead

It's an independent Japanese film (currently ridiculously popular in Japan) about a crew making an independent zombie film in one long take, only to be interrupted by an attack by actual zombies.

But is that all the film is about? It is not, but to tell you more details would ruin the surprise. This is the sort of thing that I don't even want to put in spoiler tags, because it is best to watch it not knowing anything.

But should you watch it? Yes you fucking should (when it comes out, I saw it at a film festival but imagine it will get a limited general release). It's the funniest damn thing I've seen in ages, an utterly bonkers masterpiece. Watch it with friends, with an audience, watch it as soon as you can.

10/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Nov 2018 15:22:10 8,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Hold The Dark

Bleak thriller about a writer who comes to a small town following the disappearance of a young boy. Violence, death and an almost folk-horror sense of the unknowability of nature ensues.

Probably one of the better Netflix Original movies I've watched.

Plus I'm a sucker for anything with a rural or snowy setting like this.

8/10
  • richarddavies 30 Nov 2018 15:32:33 6,542 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I watched Hold the dark last week. I think I liked it? Great acting in it but the story was a bit mental.

So the jist is there's twins who have a child together. The mum kills the child coz of reasons then brings in wolf hunter because why not. Then husband brother comes back, goes on a killing rampage because of reasons, finds his wife sister then makes out with her before walking off into the distance.

Is that the general idea?
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 30 Nov 2018 15:52:05 8,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Yeah motivations were a bit unclear but it looked great
  • nickthegun 30 Nov 2018 16:10:49 75,879 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Endless - 'cracking wee'* sci-fi/horror from two guys who did some other stuff.

You can't really talk about the plot too much but a pair of dudes escape from a UFO deathcult and, after struggling to adjust to life on the outside, go back for some closure.

Hilarity ensues.

It's rly good, has an ominous, slow burn start before flipping the switch and fully committing to being kind of crazy. It's only 99p on Amazon, so give it a shot.

8/10

*low budget and surprisingly good
  • JoelStinty 30 Nov 2018 16:48:45 7,012 posts
    Seen 42 seconds ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    RedPanda87 wrote:
    Like Father, Like Son

Because my local cinema isn't showing Shoplifters I settled for renting this. It's good. Sweet. Gentle. This is my second Koreeda film and I definitely plan to watch more.

8/10
    Remarkably one close to me is! I didn’t realise the cinema existed until a friend mentioned it a few moments ago. Ticket booked! Can’t wait to see it. For me Koreeda is the best director working at the moment. Every film I’ve seen of his I loved.
  • Scimarad 1 Dec 2018 07:27:31 9,528 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @nickthegun

I really liked that but I had a hell of time trying to find out what the hell it was called based on my vague memories of the review. Surprisingly Google wasn't much help with "film about two guys going back to cult"...
  • Dgzter 1 Dec 2018 07:41:11 2,467 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    The Endless - 'cracking wee'* sci-fi/horror from two guys who did some other stuff.

You can't really talk about the plot too much but a pair of dudes escape from a UFO deathcult and, after struggling to adjust to life on the outside, go back for some closure.

Hilarity ensues.

It's rly good, has an ominous, slow burn start before flipping the switch and fully committing to being kind of crazy. It's only 99p on Amazon, so give it a shot.

8/10

*low budget and surprisingly good
    Cheers for this; really enjoyed it. Well worth a watch.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Dec 2018 07:56:45 18,925 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yep, The Endless was great. Looking forward to whatever the directors do next.
  • Mola_Ram 1 Dec 2018 08:14:04 18,925 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Speaking of endless...

Wilderness

A Japanese movie about boxing, but where the boxing is more a vehicle to say Very Important Things about modern Japan, relating to (but not limited to) peace, crime, suicide, PTSD, toxic masculinity, homosexuality, religion, unemployment, sex, death, terrorism, protests and natural disasters.

The result of all this plate-spinning is a movie that literally goes for five hours. Five hours. I guess I'm happy to have lasted for the whole thing, but it really didn't need to be five hours long.

6.1/10
  • HarryPalmer 1 Dec 2018 09:00:36 5,663 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Three Billboards - Absolute Pish
  • challenge_hanukkah 1 Dec 2018 09:45:41 8,847 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    It's not a patch on Prometheus.
  • beastmaster 1 Dec 2018 19:20:10 18,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Avengers: Infinity War - 8.5/10

Really enjoyed it. Again.

Solo: A Star Wars Story - 5/10

The Meg made more money than this. Glad it was a mega-flop and halted the endless spin-offs being prepared (for now). Doesn't hold up to repeat viewings well.
  • chopsen 1 Dec 2018 23:01:31 20,325 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Speaking of which, The Meg is bloody awful. Don't do it.

I don't understand why it was so successful.
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 1 Dec 2018 23:21:47 8,442 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    I don't understand how The Meg was such a big release. It looked like pure Asylum fodder.
  • Gibroon 1 Dec 2018 23:25:54 2,082 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There's a guy at my work that has read all the Meg books. He's kind of weird but shows it must be popular if there are 5 of them.

Little mix is popular too.

Humans eh?
  • Your-Mother 1 Dec 2018 23:33:09 2,246 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wasn't The Meg one of those weird Hollywood/China coproductions that half of Asia watched? That could probably explain its bizarre success.

Edited by Your-Mother at 23:33:53 01-12-2018
  • Tomo 1 Dec 2018 23:37:49 16,180 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Howl's Moving Castle - 7/10

Slowly making my way through the Ghibli films. Decent. Witch of the Waste was awesome. It all wrapped up a bit suddenly and rather unsatisfyingly for me though.
  • The-Bodybuilder 1 Dec 2018 23:48:36 17,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    I watched Hold the dark last week. I think I liked it? Great acting in it but the story was a bit mental.

So the jist is there's twins who have a child together. The mum kills the child coz of reasons then brings in wolf hunter because why not. Then husband brother comes back, goes on a killing rampage because of reasons, finds his wife sister then makes out with her before walking off into the distance.

Is that the general idea?
    Wait, what? They were twins? I never got that from the movie. Must've missed in the endless mess of a script (as you perfectly described).
    And I can't remember the last time a movie had a protagonist so irrelevant to the outcome of the general narrative. From the point when the police get involved, he's basically just an extra.
  • The-Bodybuilder 1 Dec 2018 23:54:09 17,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Creed 2 - 10/10 (at being 8/10)

What I mean by that is, as a sports movie, a boxing sports movie, no-less (as a sequel to the Rocky movies on top), there is a limited scope as to what you can do with such a movie. You know how it ends, you know there'll be a training montage, you know the protagonist will be the underdog, you know there'll be speeches from the old man of wisdom (Stallone, stealing the screen everytime he's on), etc. It's not because the plot is derivative, but there's only so much scope for what you can do with such a template now (an 8/10 template).

But at doing so, it does the template to the absolute best it can ever do. There is a ceiling (Rocky 1), which can never be top, but it is at least on par with Creed 1, and whatever areas and ways it can try and progress things (proper character development of the support characters, such as the Drago duo, music, etc.) it does to the maximum it can.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 2 Dec 2018 08:24:17 12,885 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Does it do anything interesting in terms of commenting on the current Russia situation? I always liked the ‘my first allegory’ nature of Rocky IV.
  • GrandpaUlrira 2 Dec 2018 10:31:11 3,812 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Howl's Moving Castle - 7/10

Slowly making my way through the Ghibli films. Decent. Witch of the Waste was awesome. It all wrapped up a bit suddenly and rather unsatisfyingly for me though.
    Oh god. That ending is so hurried. When I saw it in the cinema I nearly laughed it was so bad. I wondered if they had run out of budget or something.
  • nickthegun 2 Dec 2018 11:46:31 75,879 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It happens in pretty much every Ghibli movie. People say Stephen King can't end anything but at least he doesn't write 'The End' mid sentence.
  • The-Bodybuilder 2 Dec 2018 13:43:17 17,428 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Does it do anything interesting in terms of commenting on the current Russia situation? I always liked the ‘my first allegory’ nature of Rocky IV.
    Not at all. And I guess I can understand why now.
  • Tomo 2 Dec 2018 13:57:59 16,180 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I've seen 3 Ghibli films now – Ponyo, Howl's and Grave of the Fireflies. Gotta say, Fireflies aside, they aren't meeting my expectations, which feels almost sacrilegious to say.
  • oldschoolsoviet 2 Dec 2018 15:18:56 6,596 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    I've seen 3 Ghibli films now – Ponyo, Howl's and Grave of the Fireflies. Gotta say, Fireflies aside, they aren't meeting my expectations, which feels almost sacrilegious to say.
    Probably because Howl and Ponyo are much later than 'peak' Ghibli. Those two sandwiched the Earthsea travesty after all. Enjoyed Howl myself, but like you felt underwhelmed by Ponyo. Go back to Nausicaa, Laputa, Totoro and Kiki for the 80's heyday, Porco Rosso, Only Yesterday and Princess Mononoke for the 90's (although I have a soft spot for Pom Poko).
  • simiankid 2 Dec 2018 15:39:05 643 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Tomo That's because (in my humble opinion) you're watching the wrong ones! Ponyo / Howl are good but not great. Check out Laputa for a real classic, or Castle of Cogliostro if you want to see where Spielberg got the idea for all his action sequences ever. My absolute favourite is Porco Rosso, which I believe is a genuinely great movie.

After that Spirited Away is amazing as is Mononoke, the Wind Rises is genuinely emotional and Kiki's Delivery Service is just cute as all heck, as is my Totoro. Then you get in to the weirder ones: Pom Poko is just nuts, and Earthsea and Nausicaa don't make a tremendous amount of sense unless you've read the books.

Also, as much as the dubs are pretty good by anime standards, the Japanese voices just carry so much more emotion in my opinion.

This was going to be a short reply but I got carried away. Apparently I love Ghibli.
  • Tomo 2 Dec 2018 15:44:45 16,180 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Yep! I intend to press on with the others. Just the order I've been sent these from Cinema Paradiso so far.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.