Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3812

• Deleted user 10 January 2019 11:19:39
    @drhickman1983 It was a fun waste of time for sure. I know it's a stupid film but I can't get over the fact the early foundation is that nobody thought to go backwards in that race. Have these people ever played an online game let alone an online racing game? half the grid would have been going backwards from day 1.
  • drhickman1983 10 Jan 2019 11:25:23 5,987 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    @vanDevious

None of those challenges were particularly hard. If you look at what real life folks do in games, there's no way any of those keys would remain hidden for long.

Best not think about it, really.
  • nickthegun 10 Jan 2019 11:32:08 78,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Having played Forza online, the driving backwards one would have been solved in the first race.

Edited by nickthegun at 11:32:37 10-01-2019
  • elstoof 10 Jan 2019 11:52:14 23,661 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I guess this is how astronomers feel when they watch fantasy films about space
  • beastmaster 10 Jan 2019 16:46:52 19,279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Bumblebee - 8/10

I'd heard a few things about this film. It's the best Transformers film of the lot. It feels and captures the essence of 80's films. It has that Disney "magic" of old. It's got a superb soundtrack all the way through. It's got great performances all around. It's the cartoons come to life. It's how Transformers should have been at the start. Etc.

Turns out that just about sums it up for me. I really enjoyed it and I wasn't expecting to at all.

I knew I was going to enjoy it from the opening sequence. Travis Knight (Kubo and the Two Strings) is an infinitely better director than Michael Bay. I think he does everything better than any of the previous Transformers films in the opening fifteen minutes and the film goes from strength to strength.

Got to give credit to Hailee Steinfeld to making the whole film believable. If she wasn't on form, I think the film would have fallen apart. I think she's great. John Cena does a good job in trying to out-chin Aaron Eckhart, which I didn't think would ever be possible.

I thought the film was highly enjoyable. Unlike previous Transformers films, you can see what's going on in the action, where everything is and it has a cohesive plot. It's interesting that the script is by Christina Hodson. Who? She's done the scripts for the upcoming Birds of Prey (And the Fantabulous Emancipation of One Harley Quinn) and Batgirl films. Could be someone to watch.

Finally, the soundtrack really is superb. Those classic 80's tunes come bangin' out!
  • Lukus 10 Jan 2019 19:33:31 21,970 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Bumblebee - 8/10

Turns out that just about sums it up for me. I really enjoyed it and I wasn't expecting to at all.

I knew I was going to enjoy it from the opening sequence.
    Classic Beastmaster prose.
  • neilka 10 Jan 2019 22:38:15 22,592 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    NO BUMBLEBEE STUFF
  • Deleted user 10 January 2019 22:41:24
    Bumblebee was wank.

2/10
  • evild_edd 10 Jan 2019 23:03:39 4,118 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I just watched Chappie

What a strange, jarring film. I can't decide whether it was bold or mad to have all the likeable characters sidelined to focus on the annoying 'ganstas'.

And the product placement was brazen. What was with the scene with all the PS4s?

And then the whole Die Antwoord rappers wearing T-shirt with their own names on promoting their own band. Just... Weird.... And really distracting.

Less good than Elysium which was decidedly average. Downward trajectory for Blomkamp since District 9.
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Jan 2019 23:11:07 6,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Pretty sure I saw Blomkamp grocery shopping a few months back, he lives nearby.

If I see him again I'll pass on your thoughts
  • spindle9988 10 Jan 2019 23:25:24 4,920 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    I just watched Chappie

What a strange, jarring film. I can't decide whether it was bold or mad to have all the likeable characters sidelined to focus on the annoying 'ganstas'.

And the product placement was brazen. What was with the scene with all the PS4s?

And then the whole Die Antwoord rappers wearing T-shirt with their own names on promoting their own band. Just... Weird.... And really distracting.

Less good than Elysium which was decidedly average. Downward trajectory for Blomkamp
    since District 9.

I actually preferred chappie to Elysium (which I found terrible), not a touch on district 9 though.
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Jan 2019 23:39:46 22,733 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I once very loudly slagged off Paul Greengrass's directing of the Bourne films and was duly informed he was working on the sound mix for Green Zone in the next door studio.

I have always assumed he was deeply hurt by my criticism and he was so shaken that Green Zone turned into boring shite.
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Jan 2019 23:48:20 6,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Hah, I've done a similar thing, thrown a (tech reference) book down on a desk, declaring it 'unreadable' and been told that the author not only worked there as a consultant, but was in the room when I said it.

To make it worse, I was told about two months later. I must have worked with him at least a few times by then, but seriously, who takes notice of author names on non-fiction
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Jan 2019 23:55:45 22,733 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:

To make it worse, I was told about two months later.
    That is amazing 😀
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Jan 2019 23:56:52 6,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I stand by it though, unreadable. Fuck that guy
  • Mr_Sleep 10 Jan 2019 23:58:52 22,733 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I stand by my Greengrass's comments too, he is a quick cut, shakey cam hack.

Edited by Mr_Sleep at 23:59:14 10-01-2019
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jan 2019 11:43:22 20,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Currently attending a mini festival of Tobe Hooper movies. The first was

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

Still holds up imo. The performances are great (particularly the cannibal family), as is the direction, as is the music. It's pretty fucking intense given how little blood and gore there is.

My family's always been in meat / 10
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Jan 2019 12:41:35 16,324 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's a masterful film. It's just so...icky. The whole thing makes me feel uncomfortable and dirty.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jan 2019 12:57:54 20,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's a weird feeling for me. There are bits in it (particularly at the end when grandpa keeps dropping the hammer) which are flat out hilarious, but when I laugh my brain goes "why the fuck are you laughing at this, this is disturbing and terrifying!"

It's also fairly unique, as far as horror I've seen, in that the violence isn't really sexualised much, or is gendered in any way. Leatherface just goes after everyone, without much rhyme or reason.
  • nickthegun 11 Jan 2019 13:24:52 78,293 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I know TTCM is a classic but my favourite Tobe Hooper film is definitely Lifeforce, a cross between a quatermass movie and a kilo of cocaine.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Jan 2019 13:31:45 20,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Two of the ones on the program (Eaten Alive and The Funhouse) I haven't seen before, so looking forward to those. And Salem's Lot, which I haven't seen in a long, long time.
  • GuybrushFreepwood 11 Jan 2019 13:51:14 1,191 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 months ago
    @Mola_Ram Salem's Lot has not aged well. I saw a bit of it a couple of month's ago and was amazed it once scared me as it looked laughable.
  • anephric 11 Jan 2019 15:05:02 3,322 posts
    Seen 21 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Eaten Alive has some amusing parts (Robert Englund's most famous line will remind you how much Tarantino cribs things). Funhouse is mostly a snoozefest.

I really rate TCM2, I know it's a marmite film. It's a really terrific satire in the vein of American Psycho, but it pissed fans off that it wasn't played straight like the first one.
  • Mola_Ram 12 Jan 2019 13:01:53 20,759 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    More Tobe Hooper...

Eaten Alive!

It's a bit like Psycho, only set in the bayou, and starring an erratically violent motel owner who hides bodies by feeding them to a massive crocodile.

It's a lot more exploitative and sexual than Texas Chainsaw Massacre, but I don't know whether that's a Hooper thing or influence from producers or something. I think the latter, but I don't really know.

Anyway, despite the grubbiness, it's a fine horror film. The sets were great, the music was great, and the performance from Neville Brand as the motel owner was especially great. He has this amazing, shocked "oh fuck, it's happened again" look on his face when he manages to kill someone, it really adds so much to the movie.

7/10

The Funhouse

It was ok, I guess. It did look and sound great (as his films usually do in my experience), but it didn't really go anywhere interesting.

Nice little homage to Carpenter at the beginning, though.

5/10

Salem's Lot

The full miniseries, not the version that was cut and released in cinemas.

Again, looks and sounds amazing, particularly the set design in the big mansion. Top marks for that. But the biggest problem (aside from Ben Mears's wig, which was so distracting that I often couldn't completely focus on his dialogue) is that Barlow just wasn't scary. He's just some mindless monster, which is completely different from how he was in the book.

I think What We Do In The Shadows has ruined it for me, basically. There's no way I'd find that version of Barlow scary now.

Still though. It's a good watch. Just not great.

7.5/10
  • beastmaster 12 Jan 2019 16:00:28 19,279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Favourite - 7/10

I've got to admit, I was very disappointed with this. It's still a good film though but I did have a few problems with it.

I'll start off with what I liked.

The performances were excellent throughout. Olivia Colman must be the umm...favourite to win the Best Actress at the Oscars. She's excellent. Everyone else was on top form but I thought Nicholas Hoult stole the show as the leader of the opposition.

The production and cinematography was lush. Everything in this film just looked beautiful. From the costumes, set design and locations I can't fault it for that. Although I got a bit fed up of the fisheye lens moments.

The problem I had was with the story, or rather lack of. I was hoping for more. I wanted something a lot more dastardly along the lines of Dangerous Liaisons. Whilst the film has its fair share of bitchiness and nastiness I don't think it's in the same league.

I was also expecting a lot more dark humour. I loved the opening scene and thought the film would continue in that sort of way. It didn't and I was hoping it would have a few more fun moments like this.

The reason why I wanted a bit more humour and nastiness in it was that even if taken as a straight up drama, I was bored a number of times. It felt too long and drawn-out. Terrific performances only get a film so far.
  • Gunzberg 12 Jan 2019 17:28:56 2,719 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Resistance Banker 7/10

decent, but sometimes a bit TV movie in terms of production values (some of the buildings used as a set are definitely not from 1940 or earlier....)
  • Tomo 12 Jan 2019 19:34:13 16,673 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @beastmaster

Whatttt. Emma Stone poisons Rachel Weisz and then almosts crushes a bunny's neck with her foot. She's a total bitch by then end of it. The way both characters' personalities invert throughout the course of the film and make you love-hate then hate-love them was great. By then end of it, it's just depressing for all three involved. No one really wins, which is pretty grim.
  • beastmaster 12 Jan 2019 19:49:33 19,279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Yep. True enough but I still wanted more from it. Donít know how they could have done it though.
  • fontgeeksogood 12 Jan 2019 19:58:50 6,519 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Would it have killed them to put some CGI and cartoon heroes in it
  • beastmaster 12 Jan 2019 20:04:38 19,279 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Dunno about that. Maybe some more guns and throw in some knives and jujitsu!

Edited by beastmaster at 20:12:21 12-01-2019

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.