Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3843

• DUFFMAN5 14 Mar 2019 12:49:08 24,167 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    SuperSoupy wrote:
    Ragnarok to me seemed like a comedy that was trying to be funny. Unlike GotG or Homecoming, which had genuine laughs and heart.

I really don't get the appraisal for Ragnarok.
    Still, it's the best Thor movie by a mile.
    Many things but one stand out is The Blancette, she is brilliant like everything she is in.

One might say she is Hela good ;)

Edited by DUFFMAN5 at 12:49:56 14-03-2019
  • glaeken 14 Mar 2019 13:16:01 11,994 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Hurricane - 3/10 - Decidedly average. It's worst sin was the aerial combat was rubbish. Whoever devised the aerial combat scenes did not seem to have a clue. They did not have a clue how planes of that era actually flew and manoeuvred. The scripts also pretty terrible but decent action scenes could have made me give that more of a pass.

Also very odd casting to have Bolton Ramsey play a Polish character who spoke Polish for much of the film. I assume they don't actually speak Polish so must have been repeating lines parrot fashion. Seems odd just not to cast a Polish actor.

Edited by glaeken at 13:19:50 14-03-2019
  • SuperSoupy 14 Mar 2019 15:29:11 73 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Captain Marvel - 7/10

You know that bit in many superhero films where the protagonist becomes so almighty-powerful that the movie loses any stakes and suspense it had? Yeah this movie has that. A bit of a boring endgame then but with a character like Captain Marvel it's a scenario that was always going to be hard to avoid.

Still I thoroughly had a fun time with almost every other bit of this movie, but mostly because I'm a Marvel fan. I'd dislike it more if I came in with no knowledge of the MCU and that I think is the film's biggest flaw - it has no real sense of identity. Oh sure the story and characters are fine, but unlike say Black Panther or GotG, I get the feeling this one couldn't exist on its own without that surrounding MCU lore.

But as previously said the story is well told (they made that repetitive hero movie formula feel fresh yet again), it goes in interesting places plot-wise, and actors and effects are brilliant.

I don't get the trolls who bash, nor supporters who champion, the film's feminist stance. To me it all just came across as... normal. And that was refreshing in the face of all those internet debates. It shouldn't have to pander, affirm or try to be something other than what it clearly is and it deserves its place alongside any other hero flick for that. It's better than Wonder Woman by a mile I think, and deservedly so.

Somewhat lacking in it's own identity and world-building, but still fun, confident, humourous and a spectacle. For a flick about an invincible flying hero that came from another planet, it's the best Superman movie ever made.
  • BinaryBob101 14 Mar 2019 15:43:11 26,674 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Better than Superman 2?
  • SuperSoupy 14 Mar 2019 16:14:40 73 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BinaryBob101 Personally, I think so. Re-watching the old Donner movies lately.. I respect them for what they did at the time, and the standard that they set for superhero films going forward, but maaan those films have not aged well.

The formula to those movies has since evolved and been bettered by a bunch of other movies since those Superman films (though not by the recent DC Superman movies, mind! It speaks volumes that the recent Superman output can't touch what came out 30+ years ago)
  • BinaryBob101 14 Mar 2019 16:20:57 26,674 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    @SuperSoupy Yeah, I get that. Being of the age to have seen the first Supes movie at the cinema on first release and loving the second to the point I think I saw it in excess of ten times (man, cinemas were cheap back then), both films hold a high sentimental value to me.

I haven't revisited in a few years and maybe won't again for that reason! But that soundtrack still resonates hugely.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 16:22:20 14-03-2019
  • SuperSoupy 14 Mar 2019 16:26:16 73 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @BinaryBob101 The soundtrack is absolutely timeless. John Williams, man! John Williams :)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Mar 2019 19:47:08 14,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I stongly disagree about the first Donner film. As an action film yes, modern Superhero films are a different kettle of fish especially when it comes to effects, but in terms of character development, acting, structure, cinematography, soundtrack etc only the Nolan Batman films compare. The first MCU films are already creaking more than Donnerís Superman after 40 years due to them being so much more effects based.

Also there is really only one Donner film. The cut available of the second is interesting but not a complete film and canít be properly judged as one.
  • multicolouredpoopoo 14 Mar 2019 20:01:40 75 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    The Donner Supes are timeless, gtfo!
  • JamesUK 14 Mar 2019 22:04:18 779 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Triple Frontier [new Netflix film]
    It's a narcos/military/heist movie and I quite liked it. Maybe a little generic or formulaic but its got strong cast, nice locations, decent set pieces and it kept me entertained. 7/10
  • anephric 14 Mar 2019 23:02:37 3,095 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    There's some cheesy 70s guff in Superman. All of the fucking Otis stuff, that dude going "Whoa Jack Supermaaaaaaan! Sheeeeit" or whatever he says. A lot of the Daily Planet stuff is pretty guffy. Oh, of course "Can you read my mind? Do you know what it is that you do to meeeeee." Although at least Donner balked at having that be an actual musical number.
  • anephric 14 Mar 2019 23:05:04 3,095 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The prosecution enters Exhibit A into evidence:

https://youtu.be/xqI3a4vBpxU
  • anephric 14 Mar 2019 23:06:44 3,095 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Actually, that bit is pretty good, mostly because of the score. The prosecution recuses itself.
  • beastmaster 14 Mar 2019 23:31:38 19,070 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can say that this is brilliant. The La La Land Records musical restorations are what Criterion are to Blu-Ray/DVD.

Edited by beastmaster at 23:32:15 14-03-2019
  • Your-Mother 14 Mar 2019 23:58:06 2,471 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    There's some cheesy 70s guff in Superman. All of the fucking Otis stuff, that dude going "Whoa Jack Supermaaaaaaan! Sheeeeit" or whatever he says. A lot of the Daily Planet stuff is pretty guffy. Oh, of course "Can you read my mind? Do you know what it is that you do to meeeeee." Although at least Donner balked at having that be an actual musical number.
    Say, Jim! That is a bad outFIT!
  • anephric 15 Mar 2019 07:28:12 3,095 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    DAYUMN.
  • evild_edd 15 Mar 2019 09:49:33 4,062 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Even as a kid (I'm nearing 40 now) I always found the original Superman film a bit... well... dull. And Lex Luthor was always a rubbish villain.

As an adult, you can't get past the whole reversing of time nonsense as well (I know it's a superhero film but the manner in which he does it is absurd).

Superman 2 is the more enjoyable film.

But, yeah, Superman films are generally poor. I think that's probably down to the limitations of the character.
  • BinaryBob101 15 Mar 2019 10:25:52 26,674 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    His character has huge potential for the future and Reeve nailed all three of em and neither of the first two are in any way poor.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Mar 2019 10:28:16 14,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Superman 2 has waaaay more silly bits than 1, mostly because Richard Lester. That whole final sequence at the fortress of solittude where they start making up powers such as teleporting, multiplying and of course super giant cellophane S frisbee! The best bits are noticeably different in tone and clearly Donnerís handiwork. Had he been allowed to complete the two films his way they would have far less flawed.

The good still massively outweighs the bad though. Both films were affected by the Salkindís meddling, including the reversing time thing, and as a result yes, thereís some significant wonkiness in places. But theyíre proper films, the first in particular, with real emotion and pathos and a meaningful heartfelt representation of an iconic comic book character that I donít think any other hero film has managed. They are by absolutely no means poor films.
  • nickthegun 15 Mar 2019 10:46:59 76,792 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I'm sure this isn't unique but superman 2 and 3 were my first introductions to superman, so I was genuinely surprised he couldn't throw his S or that Kryptonians couldnt point at things and make them fly in the comics

Edited by nickthegun at 10:47:26 15-03-2019
  • SuperSoupy 15 Mar 2019 10:55:26 73 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I'm just not a fan at all of the pacing in both films. The're both. So. Slow. The first has some brilliant emotional beats, mind. It's at its best when the slow pacing really gives those emotional beats the time to shine. But otherwise the pacing just seems unwarranted.

Space Oddysey nailed the feeling of floating and weight (or weightlessness rather), so seeing Superman in a similar time frame be so bad at it.. makes me think that maybe it wasn't the right time for Warners to make a Superman movie. IMO they should have done Batman in the late 70's instead. Made it a detective drama in the vein of Chinatown (maybe I'm getting ahead of myself a bit there :p )
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Mar 2019 11:05:41 14,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Seems slightly odd to criticise Superman for being slow and then praising 2001 in the same breath. They both take a very similar approach to pacing. Not that Superman is in the same league as 2001, but itís classic 70s style epic cinematic storytelling. For me itís one of the things that means itís aged well as opposed to badly.

Taste will of course differ for everyone and nobody has to like it, and yes there are significant flaws, but I think for a forty year old blockbuster it holds up really well.
  • SuperSoupy 15 Mar 2019 11:36:54 73 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh yea I mentioned 2001 for the effects it laid down, pacing-wise it's slower than Superman but it does work to that film's credit. Superman, not so much. But hey ho opinions and that.. but it's just nice to debate and hear perspectives like this from folks like yourself :) I could talk about movies all day haha.

Ultimately I don't think those Superman movies are BAD. I just think they've been bettered in the years since and are great for their time.
  • anephric 15 Mar 2019 11:39:22 3,095 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    The careful build up is one of the best bits of Superman (although it's a bit too leisurely in the three-hour TV version, but Donner never intended all of that stuff to be in there). It brilliantly develops the character, all the Smallville stuff and Glenn Ford and the transition to seeing Chris Reeve for the first time in the FoS is terrific.

You have to respect Donner and Tom Mankiewicz because no-one had tried to do a superhero film like this and make it realistic and relatable before, they were really trailblazing.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 15 Mar 2019 12:21:47 14,263 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The structure is also really clever. Three acts - Krypton, Smallville, Metropolis - each with an entirely different genre, style, colour palette, soundtrack and cast (apart from a small bit with Marlin Brando ghost if youíre being pedantic). That is incredibly original for any film then or today, in any genre, and itís so well executed most people donít even realise as it works so well.

Similarly Reeveís role is effectively three roles - Kent, Superman and Kal-El - and it is an absolute world class performance. The way he changes from Kent to Superman simply through physicality is masterful, and he is so believable and likeable. I always think Margot Kidder is massively underrated as well. That scene in 1 when she interviews Superman is so well done, with just the right balance of flirty shyness and confidence. So easily could have been cringe. Similarly the scene at the end of 2 when they discuss what theyíre going to do now that she knows his identity but canít be together, is probably the most nuanced and poignant scene in any hero movie. Itís heartbreaking.

I think part of the problem is they created a template for the hero movie which has become more about set pieces and action, which is the standard they are now judged against. But theyíre actually character studies, and in that respect they still stand apart and above the crowd IMO.

Edited by You-can-call-me-kal at 12:22:28 15-03-2019
  • Rhaegyr 15 Mar 2019 12:32:56 4,681 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Reeve is the only Superman actor I've ever known to play a believable Clark Kent, not just Superman with Glasses as everyone else seems to play him.
  • Dougs 15 Mar 2019 12:33:12 88,281 posts
    Seen 10 seconds ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    The careful build up is one of the best bits of Superman (although it's a bit too leisurely in the three-hour TV version, but Donner never intended all of that stuff to be in there). It brilliantly develops the character, all the Smallville stuff and Glenn Ford and the transition to seeing Chris Reeve for the first time in the FoS is terrific.

You have to respect Donner and Tom Mankiewicz because no-one had tried to do a superhero film like this and make it realistic and relatable before, they were really trailblazing.
    Absolutely this for me. You've got to build the character to give a shit about him. Superman has so many iconic moments and when I watched it with my 8 year old, I thought it stood up really well.
  • nickthegun 15 Mar 2019 13:02:53 76,792 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    It's doubly impressive when you contrast it against Singers 'superman does fuck all except save Lois from falling and stops a real estate scam' cover version.
  • multicolouredpoopoo 15 Mar 2019 13:13:59 75 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    anephric wrote:
    It's Reeve himself who makes it, he is the best Superman by a country mile.

Although all those things you mention are great too.
  • evild_edd 15 Mar 2019 13:20:03 4,062 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    In fairness, I've not seen 1 or 2 in years. I'm quite looking forward to seeing them with my kids when they're a little older.

Same with the Burton Batman films, which I think will be easier for kids to follow (and probably more fun for them) than the Nolan versions.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.