Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3858

• wuntyphyve 10 Apr 2019 15:51:08 12,233 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Pet Sematary

Disappointing. Not helped by a couple of cunts loudly farting, laughing and hitting each other through the first 30 mins or so before finally fucking off mind you. But yeah. Disappointing. If I was wathcing it at home I would have probably put it off halfway through. It seemed to just fuck everything up and, worst of all, just wasn't scary, or dramatic, or emotional enough. As a study in grief it was far less effective than the (still) rather brilliant book. The cast however, did do well and I have a lot of time for Jason Clarke, but he just wasn't given enough to work with here and his motivations came across as murky and indistinct, with the film making too many leaps of faith based on a presumptuous knowledge of the book.

A firmly middle of the road 5/10 as it wasn't bad enough to earn less but is the very definiton of meeeeeeeehhhhhh.

Disa-fucking-ppointed. Never mind. It: Chp2 to look forward to later this year.
  • Zerobob 10 Apr 2019 15:56:50 2,222 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Sisters Brothers - 9/10

Like westerns? You probably love this. Like Joaquin Phoenix? You'll definitely love this.

It makes a change to see Phoenix playing a semi-normal, straight forward character for once, rather than a quiet quirky weirdo. In fact, this has cemented him as my favourite actor alive today.

The biggest surprise for me was John C Reilly putting in a fantastic performance in a non-comedy role; He utterly nailed it. I could watch him and Phoenix bickering and riding horses all day long.

My only complaint was that the story didn't focus more narrowly on John C Reilly's character's story, making his goals and feelings clear from the start, because ultimately it was his story and he came across as the most sympathetic character.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 10:32:25 26,803 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    The Silence - First Half - 3/10

Starts off ripping off The Descent, then goes hard cloning A Quiet Place, but with crazed, blind echo-locating mutant bat-morh-Alien creatures that have been trapped underground undisturbed for millions of years.

Stanley Tucci phones it in as the dad. The deaf daughter starts displaying spidey-sense in the first five minutes, so I know by the end of the film she'll be a full-blown superhero. We'll see.

Obviously, AVIOD. But I'll watch any old c-movie shite that's thrown at me on Netflux, so part 2 tonight I guess.
  • beastmaster 11 Apr 2019 13:05:33 19,223 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Pet Sematary - 6/10

A Stephen King adaptation which I thought was pretty good until the final act, which I think really lets the film down. But it's still ok despite this.

This is a film that certainly doesn't live up to the hype. Trailers were impressive and there was lots of positive word of mouth when the film premiered at SXSW. As with most films these days, this doesn't really mean too much.

I think it's still a better than average film. The first two acts set things up nicely. It's well paced and the story is decent. I'm not read the book but apparently it changes a lot of things.

The third act really let me down. It became predictable nonsense. The whole film suffers from a lack of tension and the actors haven't really got the dramatic chops to sell me on what they were dealing with. It's also not very scary or creepy. It plays it very safe all the way though. Even the odd few jump scares didn't work on me.

However, overall I think it's fine. I don't think it's worth a trip to the cinema but it's worth a watch when it comes onto streaming services.
  • wobbly_Bob 11 Apr 2019 13:33:43 5,086 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    The Silence - First Half - 3/10

Starts off ripping off The Descent, then goes hard cloning A Quiet Place, but with crazed, blind echo-locating mutant bat-morh-Alien creatures that have been trapped underground undisturbed for millions of years.

Stanley Tucci phones it in as the dad. The deaf daughter starts displaying spidey-sense in the first five minutes, so I know by the end of the film she'll be a full-blown superhero. We'll see.

Obviously, AVIOD. But I'll watch any old c-movie shite that's thrown at me on Netflux, so part 2 tonight I guess.
    I thought it was fucking awful. I attempted watching this last night but had to turn it off. The thing is ludicrous for a start. These things came out of a sealed up cave? What were they eating while they were in the cave? And how many are there? like 20 minuets into the movie and they are already spread across 2 states! That's a LOT of these things as in an unbelievable amount of thease things.

It's so dumb and by the numbers and yeah the performances are shit too. Probably they know they are in a shit movie and not bothered to really act at all. The characters are continually doing the most dumb shit as well. The news says there are killer creatures that react to sound so stay in your homes and be quiet. Daughter says no lets drive into the countryside and ignore common sense and the news warning. Yes, lets get into our car, that thing that makes a noise, and drive. You know what? Let's not turn off the phones and the radio as well. While we are here you know what would be a great idea? We can take the big barky dog with us as well. I'm sure that won't prove to be an issue with us in a noisy car with the radio on and a big barky dog with killer creatures flying around that are attracted to sound. Nope. Not at all.

I think 3 out of 10 is way to generous. I'll award it a 1/10
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 13:38:30 26,803 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Well, Bob to Bob, I mostly agree, but I'm still yet to watch the second half so I may well change my mind. Stranger things have happened in stranger films than this.

But, yeah.

I guess we should be posting spoilers here, but this is so generic and by the numbers, I'd consider these open spoilers to be more of a serious warning! :D
  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2019 13:45:14 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I read a review of it that said it felt like it was a film generated by Netflix's 'watch next' algorithm.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 13:47:00 26,803 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    We're both way too far down that road. Was the banner trailer at the top yesterday, they know us so well.
  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2019 14:09:19 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah. Even though it's supposed to be shit, I'm not breaking my bullshit Netflix movie streak.

I even watched that one with the comedy sidekick guy off Ant Man.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 14:19:45 26,803 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Ah yeah, that end of the world apocalyptic thing? Name escapes me. So does any single detail about it, apart from Michael Pena was a bit more serious this time.

And like the one above, you should deffo watch the fuck out of it. It's almost equally less than mediocre.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 14:20:53 11-04-2019
  • Dougs 11 Apr 2019 14:23:17 89,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Where do you guys find the time?!
  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2019 14:24:21 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I WFH two days a week and deliberately put absolute shite on in the background.
  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2019 14:26:21 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I don't suppose Netflix necessarily wanted to fill a 'WORTHLESS BACKGROUND SHIT' all by itself, but here we are.
  • Dougs 11 Apr 2019 14:28:31 89,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Fair dues. I can't concentrate if there's anything other than music on, but I may give it a go. I love some films that are absolute bobbins.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 14:30:44 26,803 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Similar situation, sometimes three days a week. My wife and I are partial to a running viewers commentary though in the evening, makes everything far more enjoyable and amusing when you actually have conversations through this terrible shit.

Dougs, don;t think we're advocating this as a lifestyle choice! :D Best to avoid mainlining this, it's harder than Fentanyl, dude.

Edited by BinaryBob101 at 14:31:48 11-04-2019
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 11 Apr 2019 14:39:47 1,880 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I'd want to stab my wife in they eyes if she wanted to discuss a film whilst watching it.

/fun at parties.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 14:49:26 26,803 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Same if the film is worthy enough, these are very far from that.
  • glaeken 11 Apr 2019 14:57:07 12,026 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The ballad of Buster Scruggs - 7/10 - Enjoyed this quite a bit. Well made and looked great. The quality of the stories did vary a bit but still overall well worth a watch.
  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2019 14:59:25 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The wife and I have mercifully few arguments but her running her own MST3K track over virtually everything we watch causes most of them.

Unless she's 100% invested in it, she bollocks on like Tom Servo and then accuses me of being rude for rewinding parts she's talked through.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 11 Apr 2019 15:02:22 15,733 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Aw man I love passive aggressive rewinding.
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 15:03:00 26,803 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That sounds excruciating. I seem to be lucky with media compatibility compared to many.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Apr 2019 15:12:51 19,735 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I go for the passive aggressive pause while I wait for her to finish talking.
  • nickthegun 11 Apr 2019 15:13:39 77,813 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We like *finger in the air* 80% the same stuff, we just struggle in watching etiquette.

Last year, to head off the traditional 'whats he doing? Where are they going? Why is she naked?' barrage of questions through the entire first episode of a new series of GoT, I thought we should watch the previous season in advance.

Cue even more questions because the season before that was so long ago....
  • BinaryBob101 11 Apr 2019 15:17:30 26,803 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    :D Delicious schadenfreude going on here.
  • Syrette 11 Apr 2019 18:02:10 50,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wow, Hellboy sounds truly awful.
  • wobbly_Bob 11 Apr 2019 19:08:55 5,086 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Syrette wrote:
    Wow, Hellboy sounds truly awful.
    It really does.
  • Load_2.0 11 Apr 2019 22:47:02 29,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    glaeken wrote:
    The ballad of Buster Scruggs - 7/10 - Enjoyed this quite a bit. Well made and looked great. The quality of the stories did vary a bit but still overall well worth a watch.
    I enjoyed it. With the exception of the first chapter.
  • Load_2.0 11 Apr 2019 22:51:42 29,324 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Zerobob wrote:
    The Sisters Brothers - 9/10
    Good.

Been looking forward to this.
  • Dougs 12 Apr 2019 07:11:04 89,138 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    I go for the passive aggressive pause while I wait for her to finish talking.
    Ha, same here. Although my wife isn't too bad. The mother in law on the other hand talks incessantly. Whether there is a film on or not. No such thing as dead air.
  • mrpon 12 Apr 2019 07:17:43 35,211 posts
    Seen 60 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yup, along with the obligatory have you finished?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.