Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3874

• Your-Mother 13 May 2019 15:27:38 2,681 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I havenít summoned up the courage to watch Deep Blue Sea 2 yet as itís guaranteed to be absolute turd
  • anephric 13 May 2019 15:27:43 3,200 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    MY HAT IS LIKE A SHARK'S FIN!
  • anephric 13 May 2019 15:30:54 3,200 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Along the same lines (well, crocogators) Rogue is really quite decent and has Sam Worthington in the sort of B-grade meathead role he never should've been allowed to progress beyond.

Dark Age, which is an 80s Aussie croc film, is also really good and has a surprisingly eco/conservationist slant ahead of its time.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 May 2019 15:50:24 19,391 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I need to watch Open Water again, I can't really remember being that impressed with it at the time. I remember much about it though.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 May 2019 15:58:36 15,324 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    I remember buying open water on DVD when it came it (about 20 fucking quid)
    I found it a bit boring but I didn't like Blair witch either, they're sort of the same genre right?
    I wouldn't have said so. Can't really think of any similarity. It's not found footage or horror. It's a pretty accurate and dispassionate account of a true event.
  • Tonka 13 May 2019 16:07:25 29,443 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Maybe Jungle with Daniel Radcliffe. It didn't review to well but I saw an hour long documentary about the event the film is based on and it made me feel in a similar way to Open Water.

I found the documentary so just watch that instead of the Radcliffe version

https://youtu.be/scJOQ04lL9M

Edited by Tonka at 16:13:49 13-05-2019
  • SweetMrGibs 13 May 2019 16:16:30 1,331 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    If you guys are looking for a Jaws/Rogue-type film, check out Razorback. It's an Aussie film from the 80s set in the outback. I remember it being quite good.

Edited by SweetMrGibs at 16:16:42 13-05-2019
  • simiankid 13 May 2019 19:35:57 644 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    If you guys are looking for a Jaws/Rogue-type film, check out Razorback. It's an Aussie film from the 80s set in the outback. I remember it being quite good.
    I remember this giving me the herby-jeebies when I stayed up to watch it. I was only twelve, mind. Contains some pretty amazing* pig maquette work.

*not amazing at all
  • Yorkshire_Bourne 13 May 2019 19:43:46 439 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    As naff as its probably going to end up being, I'm quite looking forward to "Crawl", the "flooding town with killer crocs on the prowl" movie.

Thinking about it, is the one about the tiger on the loose in a house any good, Burning bright?!? or something like that off the top of my head I think it is! Not seen that one.

Edit - Wow, weird! Watched Brightburn last night and then asked about a film called Burning bright today?!?!

Edited by Yorkshire_Bourne at 19:45:51 13-05-2019
  • RichDC 13 May 2019 20:34:22 8,259 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    High Life

Art housey sci-fi with Robert Pattinson. Its a bit weird with a barely coherent plot (if any), a dash of sexual assault, hints of incest and a woman on a dildo chair in space (which really isn't as erotic as it sounds.)

Honestly, it's shit.

Edited by RichDC at 20:34:42 13-05-2019
  • wobbly_Bob 13 May 2019 20:47:48 5,077 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Yesterday had a bit of a movie day so watched:

ROMA
    Brilliant. It's so beautifully shot. I love the slow panning gliding movements of the camera. A lot of the movie you could take as a still and put them in a gallery. The story is well told and well acted and hit me in the feels a number of times. 10/10

KIN
    Netflix tries and makes a SF movie. Again. It's nice they gave Denis Quaid something to do. I've seen the reviews for this rating it as shit but I just can't agree. It's not brilliant and I thought the ending was a bit silly but yeah it's alright. It's not doing anything new but what it does on an obviously limited budget is ok. If you want an easy watch then there's nothing wrong with it. 6/10

The Girl with all the Gifts
    I've wanted to see this for a very long time. Maybe just because it's so well regarded and I had my bar set way too high but I came away a bit disappointed. Not to say that it's a bad film because it's far from that. I enjoyed it but I just don't see what that fuss is about. Points for making it an original zombie movie but other than that it's just alright. 7/10
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 13 May 2019 20:59:42 1,844 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    Dougs wrote:
    Oh wait, I was confusing Black Water with Open Water, although Black Water is also decent. But yeah, Open Water is the tensest shark films I've ever seen, and possibly the tensest film I've seen full stop.
    It was just so believable and real. It was only an hour and 20 mins or something but felt much longer, such was the tension.
    Honestly, I kind of hated it. It's a very good piece of filmmaking, but it's too real. Films like Jaws or whatever are fun because they distance themselves enough from reality. Open Water is like watching a YouTube beheading video.
    yeah, a documentary style look really isnít appealing to me, I want interesting visuals and shots not some bland looking bore fest - all too common a look these days.

I donít have a problem with realism in anyway, but itís hard to make a visually interesting film that way and there arenít many directors that can pull that off
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 May 2019 21:54:29 15,324 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I donít think youíre talking about the same film.
  • askew 13 May 2019 23:10:01 18,969 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    So Iím watching Predestination, but why after 10 minutes of scene-setting has there been another 20 from Basil Exposition in the bar?
  • askew 14 May 2019 00:05:11 18,969 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Ooh, ok. Now I understand.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 May 2019 00:24:18 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Bad Times at the El Royale

This should have been right up my street, it starts out like it'll be a weird mystery noir in a tired motel. It has Jeff Bridges. It has Jon Hamm but he's not shit and dies early enough not to ruin my day.

But it descends into derivative nonsense. Thor or James Hunt (possibly they are the same Hemsworth?) arrives to chew the scenery. No surprises, et fin

65/100
  • Tonka 14 May 2019 09:53:22 29,443 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I saw it at a flight recentlish. I agree with you review but would like to ad that I really enjoyed the actors (even Thor(?)). It just went on too long. Not that there were dull moments but it just crammed too much in there for what it was.

Still, a decent way to pass some time on a flight.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 May 2019 10:11:43 5,780 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The length or, ideally, the plot size should have been addressed. It was such a shame it was a thriller without any real surprises.

I had hoped it was going to be like Identity (when it was Agatha Christie and before it went batshit)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 10:19:25 15,324 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Favourite

Yay, it's great! Just a brilliantly made, written and acted film. More The Lobster than Killing of a Sacred Deer, but less weird than the former and not as dark as the latter. And probably better than both. Lanthimos is well on the way to being a proper heavyweight if he's not there already and he's so original I can't really think if any other filmmaker to compare him to. Big fan.

Obviously as Olivia Coleman got the Oscar it's recognised how good she is in it, but to confirm, she really is very VERY good. I always think the most impressive acting is when you see a character go through significant change through the course of a film, whilst still clearly staying true and believable to that character. Must be so hard. It's something that I think defines the greatest performances and it's absolutely what she pulls off here. Emma Stone is also extremely good and she is now well beyond the 'Lindsey Lohan but with good parents' label.

Strongly recommend. I'm looking forward to a rewatch.

9/10
  • Dougs 14 May 2019 10:21:19 88,895 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Agreed, it was tremendous.
  • Tonka 14 May 2019 10:24:09 29,443 posts
    Seen 39 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @fontgeeksogood I'm surprised you were't surprised. Maybe I'm just not experienced enough in this kind of film but

That agent being shot dead surprised me
    The sister thing surprised me twice, first the WTF she has kidnapped someone and then that they were sisters
    The bellboy saying he had killed a bunch of ppl surprised me
    How he had killed them surprised me

So four rather surprising things for me. But yeah, general plot beats were predictable.
  • DUFFMAN5 14 May 2019 11:10:38 24,419 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @You-can-call-me-kal
    Have that on BR, watching tonight. Love O.C. and I was in from the start! all these sycophants.

I'm sure you would have seen it, but if not watch Tyrannosaur, she is excellent (of course) in it.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 May 2019 11:11:50 15,324 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, seen it. Paddy Considine ftw.
  • robthehermit 14 May 2019 13:07:11 7,229 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Meg

I was actually looking forward to this despite the reviews but really shouldn't have bothered. As Mr Statham said in an interview, "Where's the fucking blood."

Completely devoid of any redeeming features. No gore, no tension, no comedy, no character. If only it had taken a look at itself in the mirror and played on the fact that the premise was completely ridiculous and had fun with it it could have been so much better.
  • nickthegun 14 May 2019 13:30:33 77,543 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    askew wrote:
    So Iím watching Predestination, but why after 10 minutes of scene-setting has there been another 20 from Basil Exposition in the bar?
    Because they want every plot development to be as obvious as humanly possible.
  • HairyArse 14 May 2019 14:05:41 1,251 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah, seen it. Paddy Considine ftw.
    Journeyman is also brilliant. I was in floods of tears.
  • Deleted user 14 May 2019 14:18:42
    Post deleted
  • Deleted user 14 May 2019 14:23:39
    Post deleted
  • TechnoHippy 14 May 2019 17:53:14 14,879 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Drone

Sean Bean does a dodgy American accent. Average film at best.

5/10
  • wobbly_Bob 14 May 2019 20:59:52 5,077 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Watched The babysitter on Netflix last night. I actually really enjoyed it. It's got a sort of 80's video nasty vibe to it. Just the right right side of ludicrous for me to enjoy it. I can't see it being for everyone though. 7/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.