• Youthist 16 May 2019 21:41:18 13,768 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    We’ve all got stories
  • dominalien 16 May 2019 22:41:43 9,129 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Hangman

Dude kills people and some people are not happy about that.

It's not bad until they start explaining everything towards the end. I like Karl Urban, but he's very ham-fisted here. Al Pacino looks like he's about to die; I'm not sure if he's really like that or just acting. Brittany Snow is gorgeous and awesome as always. Bad guy is cliché and boring.

6/10
  • adamasunder12 16 May 2019 22:54:27 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Looked up Brittany Snow and Google had one of those box out question things with one asking how she died. Confused I clicked and it summarised the death of Brittany Murphy.

Confusing. I asked Google what she had died of as I realise I never knew how and it not only detailed pneumonia and (legal) drug intoxication as causes but went on to say her husband died in the same bedroom of the same causes 5 months later.

A bit of a derail but fuuuck. That sucks.

Snow is pretty though so yay?

Edited by adamasunder12 at 22:55:52 16-05-2019
  • dominalien 16 May 2019 23:24:20 9,129 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah, the thing with Brittany Murphy and her husband is pretty out there.
  • adamasunder12 16 May 2019 23:28:02 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    Yeah, it's mad. Shame, her star was on the rise irrc.
  • thelzdking 17 May 2019 00:09:36 9,353 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    She was less active for a fair while before she died, presumably due to drug addiction.

IIRC Otto said he went to school with the husband.
  • Mola_Ram 17 May 2019 15:08:34 20,084 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Happy Death Day

and

Happy Death Day 2 U

Despite the terrible titles, these are actually pretty good! The basic premise of the first one is that it's Groundhog Day, but in a slasher movie. The slasher bits themselves are pretty tame, but there's enough meat on the premise to deliver plenty of fun and surprise.

The sequel takes the first premise, and runs with it even further. It gets pretty crazy, though kind of falls apart towards the end. It's still very much worth a watch with the first movie, even though it isn't quite as tight an experience.

Both together are a solid 8/10. Definitely watch them if you get a chance. I hope they make a third!
  • hedben2013 17 May 2019 15:22:13 1,081 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I rewatched Misery last week. It's a bit of an outlier for King as it has no supernatural elements, but I think it's all the better for it. It almost fits into the 90s genre of middle-class home invasion films like Single White Female, Pacific Heights, Hand that Rocks the Cradle etc, but with a bit of a twist. The French and Saunders parody still kills it a little but it's up there with the best King films for sure.
    Bit late to this but may I add that Stand By Me and Shawshank Redemption are both based on Stephen King novellas, and also prove that the best film adaptations of his work are non-supernatural.

I fucking love Stand By Me, must give it a rewatch.
  • hedben2013 17 May 2019 15:25:42 1,081 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get Out

Absolutely superb film, the plot is good and best experienced with no idea of what type of film it is, but the characterization is what takes it from good to great. One of those films you immediately want to start again from the beginning once you reach the end, to see how it hinted at what was to come.

10/10
  • Dougs 17 May 2019 15:38:08 89,122 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    hedben2013 wrote:

I fucking love Stand By Me, must give it a rewatch.
    Much like the first part of IT, he writes about kids very well indeed. Really taps into the friendships etc.

Has he written anything recent that's half decent? Been a while since I've read any.
  • fontgeeksogood 17 May 2019 15:51:16 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    He's too busy defending the GoT writing on Twitter. He's the monster he wishes he could write about
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 15:52:38 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    No one does a kid orgie like King.

His non supernatural non horror stuff is definitely my favourites of films based on his work.

Largely down to Darapont who made The Mist too into a very relatable tale.
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 15:54:25 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    He's too busy defending the GoT writing on Twitter. He's the monster he wishes he could write about
    Is Dr. Sleep recent and good? Did he finish the Dark Tower and was that good? I am no follower of King. I tried to read Thinner as it was lying about and hated it.

I imagine he'll want the film adaption of Sleep to be closer to his book than The Shining was.
  • fontgeeksogood 17 May 2019 15:55:48 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I really liked the Rose Red TV adaption. Not read the (novella? Book?)
  • Trowel 17 May 2019 16:06:17 22,531 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Bill Hodges trilogy was pretty good, and I'd also recommend 11/22/63.
  • beastmaster 17 May 2019 18:41:39 19,223 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Replicas - 6/10

Or...the other Keanu film that isn't John Wick. I don't think it deserves the utterly horrible reviews it's received. Yes, it's very predictable and Keanu is out-acted by utterly everyone but I still enjoyed it nonetheless.

I don't think the story is too bad. Keanu tries to take thoughts and feelings from dead soldiers and place them into a robot. What is it with these things? Why do they all look like they're either from The Lawnmower Man or Robocop 2? I did get a lot of deja-vu whilst watching this film. Woah!

But I don't think there's any real tension or drama in this due to the utter predictability. The effects are ok. Actually that reminds me. There's a whole lot of in here that reminded me of Johnny Mnemonic. Now I think this film is ripe for a remake. Just make it good this time. And cast Keanu in it again. Excellent!

Game Night - 8/10

This is one of the best comedies I've seen since...the last one I saw, which was Holmes and Watson. But I've spoken to a few people who have told me I was very wrong about that and it was, in fact, utter shit. So to those people, I'm sure you'll enjoy this one a whole lot more.

It's a world apart from the juvenile humour of H&W. I thought it was incredibly well written and just slick from start to finish. Everyone involved is on top form. It's basically a comedy version of David Fincher's stunning film The Game. For me, that's probably his best film but I digress.

Back to this film. I found it anything but predictable. The film moves at a rapid rate and the jokes just keep on coming and they get bigger and funnier as the film progresses. I laughed a lot. I hope they do a sequel.

John Wick 3 - 8.5/10

How to rank this one? I'd say third best but considering how much I love the character and the previous films, that's not to see it's in any way bad. It's more of the same but bigger, faster, better and more. It almost pulls it off.

I was concerned though. There's about 10 minutes of this film where I thought it was going to rapidly slide downhill. But thankfully it didn't. What was it? I'm not giving anything away in saying that it's the old spin-off syndrome. It's also to do with an actress they tried it with before, Halle Berry.

When the Bond film Die Another Day came out the producers were seriously considering doing a spin-off film with the character Jinx. Some argued that the film spent way too long on her character which wasn't in any way interesting or exciting. Anyhow, that never transpired. When I was watching this I started getting that same feeling. However, I thought her character had just enough screen time and I would be interested in seeing her either in a spin-off or the planned Continental TV series they've got on the works.

I think the film itself is really beautiful to behold. If you've watched the previous films on 4K HDR then I think this will look as magnificent as the previous instalments, if not a whole lot better.

But where I think the film excels is in the fight sequences. They really have taken it to the next level. What this film has what you didn't get so much in the other ones is a lot of very, very close combat...and it's brilliant. As is pretty much everything else in this film. Hmm...maybe second best? The film film still tops it for me.
  • JamboWayOh 17 May 2019 18:43:37 13,130 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Classic Beastmaster.
  • Trowel 17 May 2019 18:51:41 22,531 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Considering Fincher had just directed Seven - one of the best movies full stop - I thought The Game was rubbish. Just arbitrarily flips throughout to do nothing but confuse the viewer by the end.
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 19:14:25 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I didn't even realise it was by Fincher. That seems so obvious now.

As for Game Night, I saw that by myself in an empty cinema and it might have elevated the film more than it should have, but I enjoyed it immensely. It felt very much like it could have been part of the Cornetto trilogy, it even had some of the quick fire edits iirc. I preferred it to Worlds End and Baby Driver.

Melted Matt Damon was great in it too.

Edited by adamasunder12 at 19:15:13 17-05-2019
  • Tonka 17 May 2019 19:53:18 29,523 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:

As for Game Night, I preferred it to Worlds End and Baby Driver.

Melted Matt Damon was great in it too.
    I don't think I'd ever come up with the Cornetto comparison but I agree with it 100%. The tanning as well.

Not sure who melted Matt Damon is but I liked the low rent Baldwin brother (it's he an actual Baldwin?)
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 20:03:00 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    The creepy neighbour. :D
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 20:14:55 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    I'm on a LOTR revisit so.... Via Netflix so sadly the unextended.

Fellowship of the Ring 9/10

I was startled by how poor the visual effects looked then realised this came out almost 20 god damn years ago. 2001! I don't feel hyperbolic when I say that today's consoles could produce the cave troll in real time, in game and at a decent frame rate such that progress has been made. The less said about the cgi elf straddling it and adourned with more blur than a britpop revivalist act the better.

What I can say is that the costumes, set design, the overall grimeyness and lived in aesthetic is untouched by time and gives this film such grounding that the fantastical just feels natural. The magic being so unassuming is a nice touch too although I think that was also in the books. The Gandalf death star bit was a bit OTT though.

The performances are largely excellent, McKellen and Mortenson in particular and the pacing is fab. It does feel like a journey, every moment earnt. And that scenery, New Zealand IS Middle Earth.

The set pieces lose their impact a bit with the aged effects but they still come thick and fast without turning into a grind fest. It never feels gratuitous and you can always make out the who's and whys.

The soundtrack is absoutely fantastic and the Enya song at the end never fails to bring a tear to the eye.

This will always be my Star Wars, and the LOTR film I'm most fond of. Goromir noooooo, tear :(.

Now onto TT which underwhelmed at the time, mainly for its omissions as I had read the books by then.

Edited by adamasunder12 at 20:18:44 17-05-2019

Edited by adamasunder12 at 20:38:13 17-05-2019
  • fontgeeksogood 17 May 2019 20:16:17 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    Is John Wick 3 as shite as JW2
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 20:20:59 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    A lot of people are saying it's better. I really liked Wick 1 but 2 underwhelmed. 3 seems superfluous to me.
  • fontgeeksogood 17 May 2019 20:22:56 6,042 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    JW2 was boring, which is fucking unforgiveable in that movie genre. Not making sense and being nutso is fine (encouraged, even) but JW2 was just unengaging at times
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 20:29:24 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    The Punisher

Original (?) Thomas Jane

3/10

I remembered this being good at the time. Oh boy does it suck now, enough that I think maybe I was just impressed by violence and superheroes and it was always terrible.

As a liberally minded individual it really is quite something. It's got some of the laziest homophobia I ever saw. Points fun equally at the fat guy and other stereotypes and the one interesting conflict preceded by an el mariachi coffee shop scene was resolved by some James bond style gadgetry.

Utterly terrible.
  • Load_2.0 17 May 2019 20:29:41 29,322 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Happy Death Day

and

Happy Death Day 2 U

Despite the terrible titles, these are actually pretty good! The basic premise of the first one is that it's Groundhog Day, but in a slasher movie. The slasher bits themselves are pretty tame, but there's enough meat on the premise to deliver plenty of fun and surprise.

The sequel takes the first premise, and runs with it even further. It gets pretty crazy, though kind of falls apart towards the end. It's still very much worth a watch with the first movie, even though it isn't quite as tight an experience.

Both together are a solid 8/10. Definitely watch them if you get a chance. I hope they make a third!
    I'm glad the second one is good. The first was really enjoyable. I'm totally smitten with Jessica Rothe so her success is something I can celebrate as her future husband.
  • adamasunder12 17 May 2019 20:31:05 210 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 1 month ago
    @fontgeeksogood if memory serves they were spending more time world building which I wasn't that interested in past providing an intriguing frame work for all the dog avenging.
  • anephric 17 May 2019 20:40:13 3,222 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I think you will find Dolph Lundgren is THE original Punisher.
  • Youthist 17 May 2019 20:41:29 13,768 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Trowel wrote:
    Considering Fincher had just directed Seven - one of the best movies full stop - I thought The Game was rubbish. Just arbitrarily flips throughout to do nothing but confuse the viewer by the end.
    7 is great but I have to disagree on The Game Stone cold classic for me.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.