Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3900

• Baihu1983 5 Jul 2019 10:37:49 11,475 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Empire jizzed all over that. 5 star so right up there with Independence Day 2
  • wuntyphyve 5 Jul 2019 11:01:35 12,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I really wanted to love it and early on I convinced myself I was loving it but no... In the end I didn't think much of it at all. It descended into utter farce and my patience ran out. I will be sure to steer clear of Ari's films from now on, they're not for me.
  • askew 5 Jul 2019 11:05:13 19,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    Midsommar

Iím tired so Iíll be brief.

Boring, predictable, pretentious, silly

Maybe I just donít have the patience for certain types of films any more. I genuinely thought Hereditary was an alright film but this was pish.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOO.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Jul 2019 11:31:44 20,395 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've read a couple of reviews and Midsommar sounds great.

I won't be able to watch it for a while, but he sounds like a director I'll be keeping my eye on. Hereditary was fantastic.
  • wuntyphyve 5 Jul 2019 12:06:12 12,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @Mola_Ram You're right, it does sound great going by reviews... It's fucking silly is what it is. I don't know how much of that silliness is intentional.
  • Mola_Ram 5 Jul 2019 12:19:14 20,395 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I've heard it described as a black comedy, so I imagine at least a bit of it is intentional.

But I wouldn't know, not having seen it. I'll probably have to pirate if I want to see it in the next year or so, I strongly doubt the cinemas here will show western arthousey horror fare.
  • askew 5 Jul 2019 12:42:43 19,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I can imagine it getting completely the wrong response in the auditorium, mind.
  • JamboWayOh 5 Jul 2019 12:42:57 13,565 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I've heard it described as a black comedy, so I imagine at least a bit of it is intentional.

But I wouldn't know, not having seen it. I'll probably have to pirate if I want to see it in the next year or so, I strongly doubt the cinemas here will show western arthousey horror fare.
    Same for here too.
  • wuntyphyve 5 Jul 2019 13:23:36 12,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Black comedy... Yes. In parts. But that doesn't really aptly describe what Ari is obviously going for here. There are blackly comedic elements, yes, yet played too straight and at odds with the atmosphere he so desperately tries to build up elsewhere. It's at least an hour too long and too pleased with itself to work on any blackly comedic level. There is also graphic violence here but delivered in such a way that I do not believe for a second that the intended tone was anything other than straight, yet simulataneously it was so over the top so that it didn't work straight either. It's hard to describe without going into detail, so I won't.

My screening was quiet, yet we all laughed at the same bits, and I could almost feel the restlessness that accompanied mine later on. There was also a great degree of discontented mumblings the closer we got to the end, which matched my own growing frustrations.

There is good stuff in there, of course there is and I do not doubt his talent, but everything was cliched to the point of parody (again, may be the intention, may be not, either way, it was derivative of what I've seen before including a large portion of his previous film) and I wasn't invested in any of the one note, one dimensional characters apart from Pugh.
  • wuntyphyve 5 Jul 2019 13:25:47 12,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Also [SPOILER]: I'm done with silly old naked cultists. No more please.
  • nickthegun 5 Jul 2019 14:40:25 78,075 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you want some cult based horror antics but don't want to visit your local multiplex, check out Apostle on Netflix, starring the hunky Dan Stevens and directed by the Welsh guy who did The Raid.

It's rate good
  • Dougs 5 Jul 2019 14:43:26 89,581 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Is it as grim as it looks? I'm usually quite like a bit of guts and violence but the trailer seemed more unsettling than I expected.
  • anephric 5 Jul 2019 20:19:24 3,258 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    No, there's only the one bit that's nasty and even then, its not overly graphic.
  • bone-on 5 Jul 2019 21:39:34 302 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If you want some cult based horror antics but don't want to visit your local multiplex, check out Apostle on Netflix, starring the hunky Dan Stevens and directed by the Welsh guy who did The Raid.

It's rate good
    Aye the apostle is really underrated
  • thelzdking 5 Jul 2019 23:25:05 9,403 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    That's My Boy - 3/10

Typical Adam Sandler comedy. Gets points for a few visual gags involving the main character's beers.
  • gang_of_bitches 6 Jul 2019 17:33:08 5,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Midsommar - 3/10

I'm clearly in the minority but I genuinely can't remember the last time I found a film quite so tiresome. If there's one thing I hate in cinema it's a film-maker who is self indulgent at the expense of their audience and this is how I felt about this film.

The storyline, even for the fantastical horror/allegorical genre (not a huge genre it has to be said) where I'm happy to give a good amount of leaway, just lacked coherance and believabilty and the idea that what happened in Sweden informed what was going on in the US was presented in such a way that it just added to my irritation. Plot indicators like the slow scroll across the painted sheet were heavy handed beyond belief. The gore effects were woeful to the point where I have to assume it was deliberate, but even if this was the case I don't get the joke? Performances including Pugh's which others seemed to love I found hammy.

On the plus side the cinematograhy was solid, though across the long run time even the most attractive of shots became over familiar. I guess I'm giving some points too for originality in the context of modern mainstream cinema despite the oft mentioned in reviews similarities to Wicker Man and the film's phonetic namesake Midsummer.

Despite this, I'm curious to watch Hereditary now just to see if it helps cast any light on why people like this film so much.
  • Khanivor 6 Jul 2019 17:47:38 44,046 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Toy Story 4 - 7/10

Why? Other than money, why?

Ok, now we know why, the film itself as enjoyable enough. By god itís a looker too, just incredible. Possibly veering too far into photo-realism but the backgrounds and environments are just a delight to look at.

At one point near the end Woodyís eyebrows looked very off, pretty much literally. That was jarring for a Pixar film.

As was the lack of laughs. This Toy Story just didnít have the heart that beat inside the preceding films.
  • wuntyphyve 6 Jul 2019 18:16:38 12,341 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @gang_of_bitches glad itís not just me.
  • askew 6 Jul 2019 18:30:17 19,288 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Huh. Only just realised it's not Halle Berry who was cast as the new Little MermaidÖ
  • gang_of_bitches 6 Jul 2019 18:52:01 5,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    But we seem to be in quite the minority. I really can't tell whether it's a case of emperor's new clothes or whether we're both missing something.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Jul 2019 18:55:11 20,395 posts
    Seen 53 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    But we seem to be in quite the minority. I really can't tell whether it's a case of emperor's new clothes or whether we're both missing something.
    It could be that you just have a different opinion to other people.
  • gang_of_bitches 6 Jul 2019 18:57:16 5,696 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    gang_of_bitches wrote:
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    It could be that you just have a different opinion to other people.
    It's a crazy idea but you might be on to something :)
  • ChiefGB 6 Jul 2019 19:04:52 10,830 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iíll probably fall into this category as ďemperors new clothesĒ is exactly how ive described some of these ďallegoricalĒ horror nonsense films of recent years
  • Addy__ 6 Jul 2019 19:29:09 913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    Suspiria (remake)

Only got around half way in and my version didn't have german subs so obvs when the German conversations were going on I didn't have a clue. Will have to get subs sorted.

Twas liking it up until then. The dance/room of mirrors part was quite disturbing.

Point Break (1991)

Keanu goes undercover to catch a group of surfers who may be bank robbers.
    Swayze so hot in this. Plenty of dude bro, jumping from planes, meatball sandwiches, chilli peppers, oh and some surfing.
    Still enjoyed it. Lori Petty was lovely.

8/10

Edited by Addy__ at 19:29:29 06-07-2019
  • nickthegun 6 Jul 2019 19:51:21 78,075 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Suspiria is on prime video, if you can get someone to share their prime benefits.
  • TechnoHippy 6 Jul 2019 19:55:41 15,142 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Point Break is a lot of fun to watch.
  • elstoof 6 Jul 2019 20:01:53 23,417 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Is that really the first time youíve seen Point Break?
  • Addy__ 6 Jul 2019 20:05:38 913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    Suspiria is on prime video, if you can get someone to share their prime benefits.
    I do have prime but always forget about the video side of things.
  • Addy__ 6 Jul 2019 20:06:40 913 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 3 months ago
    elstoof wrote:
    Is that really the first time youíve seen Point Break?
    Nah seen it loads of times. Just not for a while. I've a hankering over older films at the moment. Think I'll do Cape Fear tonight (De Niro version)
  • bone-on 6 Jul 2019 21:56:11 302 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Hereditary was a strange one I read buzz words like terrifying, electrifying, shocking, disturbing, chilling.

Yet when I watched it not once did it scare me at all even the so called shock ending left me shrugging and going is that it? Well acted but totally devoid of scares.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.