Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3903

• beastmaster 14 Jul 2019 14:23:51 19,286 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Iím only there for the legs and the punching, it tries to twist itself into knots unnecessarily but sheís a great character in it, also legs.....Iíd happily watch her as a female bond 😎
    Funny that you mention a female 007. Not a James Bond gender switch...
  • Iwasexclusive 14 Jul 2019 17:47:38 76 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Happy Death Day 2U

An entertaining light horror sequel with time traveling/quantum time elements. Although not as good as the original, very watchable due to an energetic lead.

6/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 14 Jul 2019 18:24:21 10,808 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    What We Do In The Shadows

Brilliant, although after finishing the tv series it's surprising how straight it's played and how little they actually get up to.

Still though, absolutely marvellous

9/10
  • ChiefGB 14 Jul 2019 19:10:11 11,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iwasexclusive wrote:
    Happy Death Day 2U

An entertaining light horror sequel with time traveling/quantum time elements. Although not as good as the original, very watchable due to an energetic lead.

6/10
    Yeah I have a slight crush on her from the first one.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Jul 2019 19:10:57 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Deady blonde
  • ChiefGB 14 Jul 2019 19:11:55 11,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Indeed
  • GoatApocalypse 14 Jul 2019 21:13:13 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Dark Tower

Awful, awful film.
  • ChiefGB 14 Jul 2019 21:28:55 11,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Miscast blonde?
  • paulboy81 14 Jul 2019 21:40:06 288 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Matrix

Saw this last night at Cineworld for it's 20th year anniversary re-issue.

Can't quite believe it's been 20 years since I snuck out of my afternoon's sixth form lessons to watch it the Friday it was released back in '99.

It's brilliant. The last 45 minutes are still the absolute pinnacle of action movie finales for me.

10/10
  • GoatApocalypse 14 Jul 2019 21:54:00 5,776 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Miscast blonde?
    Not sure whether there were any blondes at all, to be honest.

I now I'm doubly angry.
  • JamboWayOh 14 Jul 2019 22:20:26 14,230 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    GoatApocalypse wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Miscast blonde?
    Not sure whether there were any blondes at all, to be honest.

I now I'm doubly angry.
    Matthew McConaughey yo.
  • dominalien 15 Jul 2019 08:52:17 9,201 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mirage on Netflix

Spanish remake of Frequency (not really, but same premise). Woman has a chance to alter the past and stuff happens.

Very good. Her trauma is wince-inducingly painful and authentic. Made me realise some uncomfortable truths about my life. There's one plot point which seems a careless shortcut, but is neatly explained shortly thereafter, followed by another which isn't and that sours the experience somewhat (when the cop/husband/not husband tells her to go to where her husband/not husband is banging her friend from the hospital so she can learn stuff and they can move the plot forward - but perhaps I just didn't understand it, as it's otherwise so well written), but otherwise it's all very tight and very well acted. As usual, subtitles are a must.

8/10

Edited by dominalien at 08:53:17 15-07-2019
  • HarryPalmer 15 Jul 2019 11:40:35 5,947 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    A Quiet Place - 6/10

Not sure why this got such rave reviews, it's a missed opportunity in my opinion. The basic premise is quite good, but there are so many plot holes, contrivances, and things that just don't really make any sense, that it all falls apart. It doesn't help that it is extremely po-faced.

The birth sequence is great, I just wish the whole film had that level of intensity.
  • nickthegun 15 Jul 2019 12:00:57 78,318 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    The House With A Clock In It's Walls - a bit like how Zack Snyder's career is incongruously punctuated by that Owl movie, this is Eli Roths effort at a kids film.

And it's actually OK. It's surprisingly warm, Jack Blacks character is a good guy rather than the traditional cranky old Wizard and his relationship with Cate Blanchetts slightly depressed Witch is quite touching.

It's got a surprising amount of heart for a film directed by someone more used to tying people to chairs and hacking bits off them.

Outside that, it's a fairly generic kids magic caper, an orphan finds the magic was inside him all along, but it kept the girl entertained, which is rare for something that isn't on YouTube at the moment.

6/10

Edited by nickthegun at 12:01:44 15-07-2019
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 15 Jul 2019 12:05:21 20,393 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah my boy loves it so I've probably watched around 10 times now. It's pretty good, I do generally enjoy Jack Black being Jack Black though.
  • Waffleaber 15 Jul 2019 15:12:37 742 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Dead Don't Die

Stellar cast, terrible film.

Deadpan horror comedy devoid of humour, intelligence, wit, plot and coherent writing. Lots of the jokes were lazy 4th wall breakers. Completely uninteresting. Zombie film done by someone with no love for the genre, more like they read a badly worded blog post someone did about the themes of Dawn of the Dead and based the film off that.

1/10
  • JYM60 15 Jul 2019 15:25:00 17,783 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    paulboy81 wrote:
    The Matrix

Saw this last night at Cineworld for it's 20th year anniversary re-issue.

Can't quite believe it's been 20 years since I snuck out of my afternoon's sixth form lessons to watch it the Friday it was released back in '99.

It's brilliant. The last 45 minutes are still the absolute pinnacle of action movie finales for me.

10/10
    I watched this at the weekend too! Holds up so well, and wouldn't really look out of place if released today.

10/10
  • Load_2.0 15 Jul 2019 15:32:51 29,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Waffleaber wrote:
    The Dead Don't Die

Stellar cast, terrible film.

Deadpan horror comedy devoid of humour, intelligence, wit, plot and coherent writing. Lots of the jokes were lazy 4th wall breakers. Completely uninteresting. Zombie film done by someone with no love for the genre, more like they read a badly worded blog post someone did about the themes of Dawn of the Dead and based the film off that.

1/10
    I saw the trailers and given the cast I assumed either they had made a really bad trailer or I just wasn't getting the humour.

Looks like he trailer was an accurate representation of the film.
  • BinaryBob101 15 Jul 2019 15:37:28 26,948 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Jim Jarmusch innit.
  • Mola_Ram 15 Jul 2019 15:46:06 20,831 posts
    Seen 12 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Spiderman: the new one

I liked it a lot! Particularly Jake Gyllenhall, who looked like he was having a great time. I thought his "muahaha, I will explain exactly how everything in my evil plan works" speech was a bit silly, but that's only a minor point. I liked the action scenes, liked the performances, liked having more Nick Fury. And the little twist at the end was also good, and made me definitely more interested in a third one.

8/10
  • Vortex808 15 Jul 2019 16:22:00 13,275 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I saw that at the weekend too. I enjoyed it a lot.

I really think that and the spiderverse are two of the better marvel superhero films I have seen.
  • retro74 16 Jul 2019 14:53:26 2,858 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Yesterday

The Beatles thing, watched it at the weekend. Thought I'd like it as I grew up listening to the Beatles

Hated it at times though, especially the Ed Sheeran bits. I've always found him to be a talentless hack but I wasn't sure if he was playing himself or a caricature. Whatever he was doing he was as wooden as a table leg

I really liked the premise but was disappointed with what they did with it

4 out of 10
  • robthehermit 16 Jul 2019 15:02:17 7,414 posts
    Seen 21 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Time Trap.

Put this on and said to Mrs Hermit "This might be a bit shit". Got 10 minutes in and said to Mrs Hermit "This is definitely going to be a bit shit." Turns out I was mostly wrong. It gets more and more batshit mental the longer it goes on, but on the whole it trucks along quite nicely, and you probably won't feel like you've wasted a couple of hours of your life. You might do, but you probably won't mind that you'll never get them back. I'd put it up there somewhere around mid level Netflix originals/the best of what SyFy churns out.

Just don't think about it too hard/10
  • Trowel 16 Jul 2019 21:28:36 22,633 posts
    Seen 10 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Toy Story 3 - 9/10

My son must have watched this 8 times in the last week, and I reckon it's scientifically impossible not to tear up slightly in the final scene.
  • Load_2.0 16 Jul 2019 21:40:42 29,642 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    A Star is Born.

Great performances, if I had any complaint I felt it dialled up the drama to 11 to try endure mass weeping from the audience and would have benefited from a more subtle approach.

That said the highlights were the interactions between the brothers with Sam Elliott bringing a lump to my throat in one particular scene.

8/10
  • kentmonkey 16 Jul 2019 22:37:09 23,073 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Equalizer

Better than I expected, and a fairly decent 'take brain out, scoff popcorn' movie.

Denzel is great, as always.

• 2dividedby0 16 Jul 2019 23:50:02 47 posts
    Seen 4 days ago
    Registered 6 months ago
    Captain Marvel

The Blu-ray dropped today, I finally got to see Captain Marvel. It wasnít as boring as friends had suggested. The mild humour was mildly humorous, obviously, not a patch on likes of Deadpool. The film contains good special effects. I now know how Captain Marvel came to be. Production values were as to be expected, top notch, way above some of the recent DC stuff Iíve endured recently (Justice League, Batman vs Superman).

The lead Skrull (the green race of shape shift'ers) came across like a gangster. That might have had something to do with his limited mouth movement caused by the mask he was wearing

All in all, not bad, not super great. At times Captain Marvel came across like a sugar coated Disney movie.

I canít wait for the End Game Blu-ray to drop.

Captain Marvel, speeding through space - wouldnít the brown leather jacket have burned up? ..or am I sounding daft?

6.8/10
  • ChiefGB 17 Jul 2019 00:39:08 11,086 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I enjoyed captain marvel inc when I watched it again last night. Also yes I was thinking the same r.e the jacket.

Itís a fun movie, I donít get why it gets shrugged at, it has a less than straight forward story in terms of whatís actually going on so it does have mysteries that are pieced together, all the cast seem to be having a fun time and it showed for me.
  • cov 17 Jul 2019 07:38:34 1,942 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Last shift ... very creepy horror, lone cop in police station shennanigans. Decent, good central performance, and fairly chilling. 99p rental on amazon

7/10
  • RawShark 17 Jul 2019 16:40:17 683 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Toy Story 4

Not without its fair share of problems. The story is pretty aimless - one minute Woody's chasing one thing, the next he's trying to find another thing, then he has to save the first thing, and then he has to help a third thing... honestly it should be much worse than it actually is.

But as with all the previous films, it's not just about the toys. If the first three films covered every parents' fear of no longer being needed by their own kids, this film is about what happens afterwards, when you can start to reclaim a life of your own.

It's probably not as good as the first three - but then nothing is - they were perfect. But the more I think about it the more I like it.

8/10

A Star is Born

One day Bradley Cooper woke up with an erection, turned on the TV and saw a Lady Gaga music video. And he said "With this erection I shall make a film." And the film was alright. Starts off fairly well but can't really maintain the momentum, and resorts to worn out tropes like a British baddy and a few too many single tear running down the cheek scenes.

6/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.