Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3913

• mrpon 5 Aug 2019 12:14:12 36,375 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Maybe it's depicting a soulless and boring period so it's 8/10?
  • simiankid 5 Aug 2019 12:18:33 654 posts
    Seen 13 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Prisoners - Missed this Villenueve flick on the big screen, but glad to have caught it now. Super taut - good cast, great performances, and doesn't give too much away. Really enjoyed it.

Edited by simiankid at 12:21:07 05-08-2019
  • boo 5 Aug 2019 12:20:23 13,613 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Finally took Bladerunner 2049 off the 'to-watch' pile and watched it.

It's not perfect, but there's more right with it than wrong with it.

Wrongness includes:
    - Jared Leto. Hammy performance and quite frankly half the time I didn't know what he was doing (slashing the new model with a knife? Huh?). If they'd just stuck to 'he wants to understand how a replicant could have reproduced' it would have improved things. And if he needed the kid for the DNA, couldn't he have got that from the bones that Luv recovered?
    - The volume. I quite liked the music / soundscapes - doesn't quite stack up to the original, but it works, but jeez did it need to be so loud?
    - The interior of the Wallace building. Seemed more like a pyramid than an office.

Rightness includes:
    - Gosling. Thought he did a pretty good job.
    - Design. Impressive, on the whole. Needed to have rained at least once though. My overriding impression of the original BR is 'neon in the rain'.
    - Soundtrack, with the above caveats.
    - Most of the ladies. I thought Joi, Luv, Joshi and Mariette were spot on.
    - Harrison Ford. Yeah, he was ok.

Sitting on the fence:
    - The overall story. I don't think it'll bear scrutiny
    - The Sean Young CGI. At first glance it was astounding, but after a few seconds there was something... plastic about it.

Overall : Glad they made it/10
  • Deleted user 5 August 2019 12:45:29
    Decks wrote:
    I watched the Suspiria remake last night. I haven't seen the original so didn't know what to expect. It's certainly something. On Amazon prime if anyone's interested.
    Yeah, it's definitely something.

The soundtrack actually made me want to watch it and I'm kind of glad I did.

Weird considering Tilda looks so much like Thom though as a man herself a little off putting despite her acting being top drawer.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 5 Aug 2019 12:56:50 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    I noticed that she was playing the old doctor guy early on in the film which was kind of distracting. I was waiting for some big reveal as to why but it never came.
  • nickthegun 5 Aug 2019 13:03:29 82,982 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It's a better 'movie' than the original, in that it makes a bit more narrative sense, but the Argento one is definitely worth watching..

There's a really good red letter media video comparing them both, which is also well worth a watch.

Edited by nickthegun at 13:04:06 05-08-2019
  • nickthegun 5 Aug 2019 13:05:25 82,982 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Oh, and speaking of Dennis Villeneuve, Dune has, apparently, now got a December 2020 release date.
  • RawShark 5 Aug 2019 14:03:55 1,285 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    You Were Never Really Here

Difficult film to review, this. On the one hand if you're hoping for a strong story, you may be disappointed because it's as straightforward as it gets.

But Christ it's a masterclass in film making. It's shot and acted magnificently, and Johnny Greenwood's soundtrack is incredible.

I did have one problem and I'm not sure it's the film or the version that's on Amazon. Something about the way Amazon compresses their video stream causes black crush, which is a pain in the arse in this film, but not too big an issue. But the sound levels seemed strangely mixed too. The BGM is turned up really loud, while dialogue feels really low in comparison - and it's a mumbly film as it is. I had to end up watching it with headphones because I was struggling to make anything out through speakers. Also annoying, and a bit inexcusable if we're talking about accessibility, really, is the fact that subtitles aren't available.

To be honest they could have probably have removed all dialogue and you'd be able to follow what was going on and it would still be amazing experience, but I'm just confused as to whether it was a directorial decision to have the sound set this way or if it's a borked stream.

Johnny Greenwood/10
  • Deleted user 5 August 2019 14:21:22
    Decks wrote:
    I noticed that she was playing the old doctor guy early on in the film which was kind of distracting. I was waiting for some big reveal as to why but it never came.
    Sadly I knew before hand so I can't speak to whether I'd have noticed but it does seem really obvious.

Still a pretty fine performance though.
  • Deleted user 5 August 2019 14:22:20
    nickthegun wrote:
    It's a better 'movie' than the original, in that it makes a bit more narrative sense, but the Argento one is definitely worth watching..

There's a really good red letter media video comparing them both, which is also well worth a watch.
    Yes, I should say it was this too that made me watch it.
  • SweetMrGibs 6 Aug 2019 12:47:47 1,428 posts
    Seen 6 months ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Upside - saw it was free to watch on Amazon Prime so put it on as background noise. Spent the next hour and a half laughing and crying. My favourite film this year (shame about the blatant Alexa product placement, but it was funded by Amazon so...).

8/10.
  • Gruff 6 Aug 2019 14:06:11 3,640 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    SweetMrGibs wrote:
    The Upside - saw it was free to watch on Amazon Prime so put it on as background noise. Spent the next hour and a half laughing and crying. My favourite film this year (shame about the blatant Alexa product placement, but it was funded by Amazon so...).

8/10.
    The Original French version is great too, even though it has a crap title "The Intouchables"
  • freddymercurystwin 6 Aug 2019 14:35:09 2,245 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gruff wrote:
    SweetMrGibs wrote:

8/10.
    The Original French version is great too, even though it has a crap title "The Intouchables"
    I kind of put off watching this as I'd already seen the original which I thought was excellent (that mustache cutting scene! :) ), maybe I'll give this one a whirl. Is it a scene for scene remake or a little different?
  • freddymercurystwin 6 Aug 2019 22:36:39 2,245 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Can You Ever Forgive Me: a well acted (drama I suppose) with Melissa McCarthy as a washed up writer who turns to forging literary paraphernalia to make ends meet, supported by Richard E. Grant as a camp old queen also fond of the bottle basically playing Withnail, great stuff, 7/10
  • ChiefGB 8 Aug 2019 01:24:04 12,737 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The ritual
    Finally got around to watching this, four friends go hiking in memory of a lost friend most housing emotional issues in relation to this.
    They get lost in the woods and things break down from there.
    It was ok, itís another one of those wtf was that all about efforts that end up making me think I must be stupid or something (could well be the case).
    I was hoping for something a bit more twisty, the first half to two thirds was ok and builds some decent tension, but it starts to fall apart towards the end and then just ends without a clear resolution.
    6/10
  • freddymercurystwin 9 Aug 2019 01:12:37 2,245 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Polar (on Netflix atm) 6/10 I was expecting this to be terrible given the terrible reviews but I was pleasantly surprised, a rip-roaring daft journey of gratuitous violence, the premise being a hitman (Mads Mikkelsen) is due to retire but his boss (a camp as you get Matt Lucas) wants him dead to avoid paying his pension with a few cliched but fun characters along the way and a bit of a twist at the end. Daft but a bit of fun and not an explosion or car chase in sight.
  • dominalien 9 Aug 2019 08:24:15 9,819 posts
    Seen 9 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mad Max Fury Road on Netflix

2nd viewing. I rather liked at the cinema, I liked more this time. Reds are very red. I found it interesting how the main dude goes back and forth between Neanderthal grunts and English literature professor eloquence in every other scene. I'm not a fan of how they just let them in in the final scene, though the ending in general is good. I wouldn't mind if they made more.

8/10
  • Vortex808 9 Aug 2019 20:09:31 14,021 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    John Wick 2ó most enjoyable. 80 headshots/100

Hobb(e?)s & Shaw- went with the lad whilst the missus went shopping. An entertaining brain-off romp. Funny bits, lots of 'splosions, and some mild swearing to amuse the boy. Idris being bad, Statham looking all moody, The Rock looking buff and Vanessa Kirby was very easy on the eye as the leggy (dyed) blonde.

70/100 summer blockbuster fare.
  • askew 9 Aug 2019 20:32:27 21,805 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mars Attacks! - 7/10 disembodied heads

I remember loving this when I was able to watch it at home. I'll bet my mum get pissed off with me imitating the alien noises.

What a cast.
  • Deleted user 9 August 2019 20:46:31
    Brightburn

Twist on a superman tale. What if someone with special powers came to earth and wanted to do harm instead of the usual saviour role.

This was the first film in ages where I went in pretty much blind. I'd not watched any trailers and I only knew a brief synopsis. Anyway I quite enjoyed this for what it was. I wish it was fleshed out a bit more as I really didn't have much of a clue about the background and what the hell made him activate and why.

6.8/10
  • QBX 10 Aug 2019 01:28:31 188 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Stargate

James Spader and a buzzcut sporting Kurt Russell travel through the titular gate to a parallel Egypt on a distant planet. From then on everything is fairly predictable and I was bored.

6/10
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 10 Aug 2019 02:04:47 2,956 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The perfection 4/10

Weird as it starts quite well, and has a good story. Feels like itís directed by 5 different people though. Couldnít help but think what Kubrick would have done with it for some reason
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 10 Aug 2019 02:06:01 2,956 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Mars Attacks! - 7/10 disembodied heads

I remember loving this when I was able to watch it at home. I'll bet my mum get pissed off with me imitating the alien noises.

What a cast.
    Yeah itís great imo, not well received at the time. Itís full schlock tribute and itís great at it
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2019 09:05:59 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Into the Spider-Verse

Pretty good. Over did it with the style at times and trying to explain multiverse theory to my 4 year old was interesting but yeah pretty good. Lols to whoever it was that complained to the cinema about it being blurry though.
  • kentmonkey 10 Aug 2019 09:23:14 23,745 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Decks wrote:
    Into the Spider-Verse

Pretty good. Over did it with the style at times and trying to explain multiverse theory to my 4 year old was interesting but yeah pretty good. Lols to whoever it was that complained to the cinema about it being blurry though.
    That was me. And it was. Seen it three times since and it's been fine. I don't actually like the style all that much, but it's not been "blurry".
  • MrFlay 10 Aug 2019 09:47:55 4,558 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Brightburn

It's a great concept but the movie stopped just when it was about to get interesting.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Aug 2019 09:49:23 27,753 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    It's not really aimed at 4 year old kids.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Aug 2019 09:56:06 27,753 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Happy Death Day - 5/10

Only really watched this cause a few here have said it's ok,but the sequel is better and goes full on crackers. I hope so.

Takes the Groundhog Day thing and does pretty dull stuff with it. It's ok.

Brightburn - 4/10

Worth a watch for some spectacular gore moments. The rest is a bit meh. Surely Ma & Pa Brent would have had Brandon down the docs after the fork. Characters act the most stupid of stupids. A bit annoying. Feels made for Netflix. This one got away from the Gunns.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 10 Aug 2019 11:20:43 26,435 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    It's not really aimed at 4 year old kids.
    I realise that but thanks. Hope I didn't offend you.
  • BinaryBob101 10 Aug 2019 11:49:03 27,753 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Hey I wasn't critiquing your parenting skills!

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.