Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3935

• JamboWayOh 4 Sep 2019 21:03:08 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    neilka wrote:
    You wouldn't see Chris Stuckmann making these kinds of glaring errors.
    How dare you take Stuckers name in vain!
  • beastmaster 4 Sep 2019 21:45:48 19,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
  • Lukus 5 Sep 2019 11:24:39 22,023 posts
    Seen 50 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    How do you know how crazy Brawl in Cell Block 99 is if you havenít seen a Vincent Vaughn film in years?
    Oh yeah. Just having my usual brain fart. Ok, apart from 99 then.
    I'm taking your reviews with a pinch of salt now. Can someone recommend me another reviewer please?
  • JamboWayOh 5 Sep 2019 13:13:33 14,721 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    How do you know how crazy Brawl in Cell Block 99 is if you havenít seen a Vincent Vaughn film in years?
    Oh yeah. Just having my usual brain fart. Ok, apart from 99 then.
    I'm taking your reviews with a pinch of salt now. Can someone recommend me another reviewer please?
    User Ultrasoundwave is very a level headed and objective reviewer.
  • beastmaster 5 Sep 2019 13:26:04 19,401 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Ha! Anyone but me. Genuinely forgot he was in it.

Edit: It was a long day.

Edited by beastmaster at 13:46:28 05-09-2019
  • Tomo 5 Sep 2019 13:58:30 16,703 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    What an amazing self-skewering from the resident rent-a-Kermode :D
  • Khanivor 5 Sep 2019 20:13:52 44,105 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Alita: Battle Engine - 8/10

Me and the 6 year old daughter both really enjoyed this. I was surprised just how much. OK, I could have doe without the future sport aspect - source material be damned - but the characters were all solid and rich and mostly well developed, the plot ticked on nicely and didn't suffer from any bloat and the effects were top-notch. The expression of emotion in Alita was impeccable but what really tickled me was the world-building and how it all was composited together so seamlessly; obvious green screen background characters in establishing shots kill the believability of a movie more than any other CGI weakness for me.

I was shocked at how quickly the end of the film arrived and hope to hell that they do make a sequel.
  • AboutHalfaStevas 5 Sep 2019 20:26:53 1,847 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Bad Times at the El Royale - 63/100 (stern glare at above poster)

Probably the wrong person to rate this - given two of the (small) cast I'd watch in anything - but I went in completely cold on this (and apparently if you've seen the trailer it gives just about everything away - as is the norm nowadays, eh), and it just about lived up to my mildly interested expectations (i.e. "it's got the Hamm and Jeff in it - how bad can it be?")
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Sep 2019 21:09:18 16,769 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Yeah Iím the same with John Hamm, even though he isnít really very good in anything apart from Mad Men.
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Sep 2019 21:23:59 6,762 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    The issue with Bad Times is that it starts out with SO MUCH potential, and the setting looks fucking great and things start to go a bit batshit and then...just runs out of ideas and turns into just shit
  • You-can-call-me-kal 5 Sep 2019 21:30:18 16,769 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I may have said this before, but it reminded me of the films that came out in the wake of Pulp Fiction with disjointed timelines and gangsters and snappy dialogue and lots of celebs but werenít as good as Pulp Fiction.
  • fontgeeksogood 5 Sep 2019 21:37:20 6,762 posts
    Seen 31 minutes ago
    Registered 1 year ago
    I think I definitely said this before, it reminded me of the start of many a good 'And Then There Were None' inspired films and it got me all semi turgid but I never got close to Billy Mill
  • evild_edd 5 Sep 2019 23:10:39 4,123 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Deadpool

Hmmm... Perhaps I'm getting old, but I just didn't think it was that funny. If I'd watch it 25 years ago, maybe...

Whilst some of the 4th wall stuff was cute, it all comes at the expense of immersion in the actual plot. It was relentless with it as well.

It suppose it was different to the cookie-cutter MCU films, but I was underwhelmed.

5(?)/10
  • Load_2.0 6 Sep 2019 08:28:51 29,765 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Bad Times felt like it borrowed a bunch of ideas and mushed them into a plot.

I was fairly bored but when Thor showed up doing generic cult leader it took a turn for the worse. It was like a checklist of character cliches.
  • challenge_hanukkah 6 Sep 2019 08:31:59 11,135 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I read about that film when it came out and it sounded worth a watch, but all interest evaporated when I found it was directed by the guy who created the yawnfest that was Daredevil.
  • MrFlay 6 Sep 2019 08:55:24 4,120 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bad Times is a nothing film. I can barely remember it.
  • ChiefGB 6 Sep 2019 17:17:22 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thatís a real shame as the trailer looked great. Iíll still give it a watch but sad to see so much disappointment in here as Iíve been waiting for it to drop on streaming etc.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Sep 2019 17:30:08 16,769 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    I think people are making it sound a lot worse than it is. Itís far from a bad film. Itís decent. If anything itís being criticised because it has the potential to be a classic, but it somehow ends up just being...fine.
  • BinaryBob101 6 Sep 2019 17:49:15 26,979 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    And just a bit cheesey. 🧀
  • nickthegun 6 Sep 2019 18:17:44 78,544 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's trailer was too good, basically.
  • spindle9988 6 Sep 2019 18:24:24 4,955 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    Deadpool

Hmmm... Perhaps I'm getting old, but I just didn't think it was that funny. If I'd watch it 25 years ago, maybe...

Whilst some of the 4th wall stuff was cute, it all comes at the expense of immersion in the actual plot. It was relentless with it as well.

It suppose it was different to the cookie-cutter MCU films, but I was underwhelmed.

5(?)/10
    I'm starting to wonder if I'm too immature. I'm in my late 30's and I laughed most of the way through both deadpool films. I also had a dislike for Reynolds before seeing him in this. I guess I'm trying to say... I fucking love the deadpool films.
  • JoeBlade 6 Sep 2019 18:27:09 4,464 posts
    Seen 44 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    BinaryBob101 wrote:
    And just a bit cheesey. 🧀
    Are you suggesting it's up there with Jaws?
  • AboutHalfaStevas 6 Sep 2019 18:42:08 1,847 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    I think people are making it sound a lot worse than it is. Itís far from a bad film. Itís decent. If anything itís being criticised because it has the potential to be a classic, but it somehow ends up just being...fine.
    Yeah, I'd say it's a solid 6/10 (hence my score).

It's a bit in love with itself, and it's definitely overlong, but if you like Jeff and/or the Hamm, I'd definitely give it a go.

And it certainly works a lot better if you ain't seen the trailer.
  • JYM60 6 Sep 2019 19:58:11 17,805 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    Deadpool

5(?)/10
    I'm starting to wonder if I'm too immature. I'm in my late 30's and I laughed most of the way through both deadpool films. I also had a dislike for Reynolds before seeing him in this. I guess I'm trying to say... I fucking love the deadpool films.
    Same. I think people go a bit far about how immature it is though. Yeah he talks about his dick a few times, other than that it just seems like comedy with visual comedy, people getting ripped on, etc. You could pretty much say any comedy film is 'immature' if you wanted.
  • richarddavies 6 Sep 2019 20:01:08 6,812 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I love Ryan Reynolds and I heart Deadpool. Watched it countless times and it's still funny as fook.
    Not as good as Green lantern obviously, but then again. What is?
  • evild_edd 6 Sep 2019 22:41:12 4,123 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    spindle9988 wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    Deadpool

5(?)/10
    Same. I think people go a bit far about how immature it is though. Yeah he talks about his dick a few times, other than that it just seems like comedy with visual comedy, people getting ripped on, etc. You could pretty much say any comedy film is 'immature' if you wanted.
    It's entirely possible I just wasn't in the right mood. Or maybe my expectations were too high as everyone seems to love it. But I really was underwhelmed.

It's not that I don't like immature comedy either. I laughed way more times at Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse despite that clearly not being a quality film by any objective measure. But then I saw it with no expectations.

Yeah, maybe an expectation problem. Even so, I have no motivation for a rewatch or to bother with the sequel (which generally had the consensus of being more of the same but worse).

Edited by evild_edd at 22:41:48 06-09-2019
  • spindle9988 6 Sep 2019 23:09:05 4,955 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    evild_edd wrote:
    JYM60 wrote:
    spindle9988 wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    Deadpool

5(?)/10
    It's entirely possible I just wasn't in the right mood. Or maybe my expectations were too high as everyone seems to love it. But I really was underwhelmed.

It's not that I don't like immature comedy either. I laughed way more times at Scouts Guide To The Zombie Apocalypse despite that clearly not being a quality film by any objective measure. But then I saw it with no expectations.

Yeah, maybe an expectation problem. Even so, I have no motivation for a rewatch or to bother with the sequel (which generally had the consensus of being more of the same but worse).
    If you didn't like the first one, then the sequel won't be for you. I had low expectations for the first one so I was nicely surprised by how good it was.
  • QBX 6 Sep 2019 23:21:58 70 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    spindle9988 wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    JYM60 wrote:
    spindle9988 wrote:
    evild_edd wrote:
    Deadpool

5(?)/10

If you didn't like the first one, then the sequel won't be for you. I had low expectations for the first one so I was nicely surprised by how good it was.
    Interesting. Personally I didn't like the first film for similar reasons but really enjoyed the second - thought the gags worked better and I died laughing at the X-Force skydive!
  • MrFlay 7 Sep 2019 01:55:05 4,120 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Anyone seen It Chapter 2 yet?

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.