Registered 1 year ago
    neilka wrote:
    Localised in the northeast as Nae Bosh
    Sean Connery's favorite Australian soap
  • ERG1008 10 Sep 2019 10:21:54 790 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Hyena - 2014 (7/10)

London Police Detective keeping Turkish then Albanian gangs sweet until blast from the past comes back to mess things up.
    Heard good and bad things about this but actually enjoyed it and felt a bit like Kill List in parts. (some of the same actors too and I love Richard Dormer)
    It's not an easy watch at times but that's all part of the set-up and the Albanians are fucking terrrifying!
    A lot of reviews didn't like the ending saying it was cop-out that there was no finale but I liked how it left it open with no real resolution rather than a True Romance style blood bath which I was expecting
  • OllyJ 10 Sep 2019 10:23:27 4,539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    It 2

I really liked the first one, but this felt like a slog. An over-long, tedious, repetitive slog. With the odd one liner, because that's funny nowadays.

Minor spoilers but covering up anyway

Scenes and lines lifted directly out of The Thing and the Shining were so awful,I can't stop thinking about how much of a bad idea they were.

5/10

Edited by OllyJ at 10:25:37 10-09-2019
  • wuntyphyve 10 Sep 2019 10:31:37 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @OllyJ I would personally mark it a bit higher but ultimately I was disappointed as well. Constant one-liners dimished the sense of threat almost entirely and some seemed VERY out of place given what had just happened. Far too much mostly terrible CGI; a lack of memorable set pieces compared to the first part; a severe lack of payoff or, in fact, justification for Bowers; in addition to your spoiler, which I agree with, the extended King cameo was self indulgent and took me right out the film; an ending that, whilst being better than the book, still sucked ... I could go on.

The thing is though, I did still enjoy it, and as a continuation of part 1, I think it's still fine. A lot of other problems I have are in direct relation to the source material and have to do with the fact that, if filmed, would be shit, yet there needed to be a way around it and it still didn't work great. Yet I would watch it again and I think it's the best version of an influential yet seriously flawed masterpiece that we'll get on screen.

as to score... I'm no idea. Somewhere around 6, 7 or 8 / 10 as I keep swithering.
  • OllyJ 10 Sep 2019 10:42:29 4,539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyphyve The main issue I had was the structure:

an absolute age on catching up with each adult and where they are now, and then each getting a phone call, like the same scene done 5-6 times in a row!!

Then after they meet, they split up and you have over an hours worth of TV episode like scenes that are all exactly the same formula...Adult visits childhood place, remembers spooky event, gets item...like the same exact scene 5-6 times in a row!!

Then they all meet and have practically the exact same end of game boss, in the exact same area as the did at the end of the first one...

It's insane to me that not one script editor stopped and said..."hey, I reckon this can be done in a better paced way. Agree the CG was all over the place and made the scary scenes just look cheap and daft

Positives were the performances all around were excellent. On the whole, I just thought it needed adapting for screen rather than being filmed "as is" I guess....
  • wuntyphyve 10 Sep 2019 10:55:34 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @OllyJ Yeah that's definitely an issue that stems from the book. Upon reading it recently again I was reminded just how episodic the whole thing is. The book itself would have worked being half the length as there is just SO much repitition. I could have coped with that if we at least had other elements from the book amongst it like more on the history of Derry, more about how "IT" has infected the town, all the world building stuff King does so well but without that and with all the comedy it just all felt so light and inconsequential.

I have massive beef with Bowers, who was given short shrift in pt1 and even shorter shrift here... Why was he even here in pt2? Completely squandered him.

And yeah. Truly awful CGI. The whole MRs Kersh sequence was working so well until we got a big lumbering badly rendered... erm... budget version Gollum with tits. The chinese restaurant which went waaaay to overboard and included a locust with, erm, a babies head. The flaming beverly in Ben's flashback was shit looking as well, as was the leper, played so chillingly in 1, only to now be augmented by the same shit CGI and ruined with a song blaring out as he spewed all over Eddie... I didn't get it.

Again though, I had fun, so I don't know. It's definitely not a horror film though. 1 was closer to horror yet still wasn't scary. This on the other hand, wasn't even in the same ballpark as a horror. The only scene I got chills from was the opening kill sequence.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 11:00:17 10-09-2019
  • RawShark 10 Sep 2019 11:05:36 728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah think Iím going to give It chapter 2 a miss. Three hours and £15 is a lot to give for something that I havenít heard a good word about. Shame, as I was looking forward to it.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Sep 2019 11:10:22 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RawShark Thing is. Despite my critiscisms, I would happily pay to see it again and I genuinely didn't feel the run time. So you never know.
  • OllyJ 10 Sep 2019 12:51:13 4,539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyphyve Just to respond with more spoilers!

Yeah The Bowers plot was SO stupid, it added nothing. What was with that guys acting when he got stabbed in the cheek? I thought it was a dream or something!

What the fuck was that song about when the leper threw up! honestly WHAT. THE. FUCK....how did that stay in!!!!!!

100% agree they didn't pay enough attention to the intriguing aspects of Derry and the wider "story", there were really interesting ideas and threads...but they were pushed aside for gags and daft monsters.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Sep 2019 12:59:05 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @OllyJ Ha yeah that whole cheek stabbing scene was dumb as hell, then he quips about the mullet as he's leaving the bathroom!?! Really? You've been stabbed in the face and you've just plunged the knife into your assailant and you quip?

The more I think about it the more issues I seem to have with it. Hmmm. Not a good sign.
  • OllyJ 10 Sep 2019 13:10:13 4,539 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @wuntyphyve ha sorry man, I have very few, if any issues with the first IT film.
  • wuntyphyve 10 Sep 2019 15:38:27 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @OllyJ I have the odd quibble with chapter 1 but nothing much. Chapter 2 though.... the list is growing.
  • SnackPlissken 10 Sep 2019 15:44:12 1,141 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I agree with all the complaints. They could have chopped at least an hour off this film. The part where they mentioned "We didn't always stay together in the summer" was pointless. I get they had to go back to when they were kids to get the token but other than that it seemed as if they wanted to ride off the success of the kids.
  • askew 10 Sep 2019 17:53:07 19,770 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    fontgeeksogood wrote:
    neilka wrote:
    Localised in the northeast as Nae Bosh
    Sean Connery's favorite Australian soap
    Bravo!
  • Mola_Ram 11 Sep 2019 14:37:43 21,246 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    IT: Chapter 2

Woooow, they really fucked this one up. Is it a horror? Is it a comedy? Because it's terrible at both of those things, not being particularly scary or funny. The adult characters are fine, but they don't really spend nearly enough time together, so it's almost impossible to feel any real chemistry between them.

Pennywise is still fine. But the book is more about how traumatic childhood experiences affect you as an adult, and the movie kind of forgets that.

I heard that they're mulling over doing an extended version that cuts between kid and adult periods in the same way the book does, so you get more connection. I might be interested in watching that, if it gets made. But this was a mess.

4/10
  • JYM60 11 Sep 2019 15:25:14 17,805 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    IT Chapter 2

Just seemed to retread over itself a lot.

Main complaints: As someone said above, it's just the same thing over and over again. Every adult gets the same phonecall, every kid gets a scare from IT, every adult gets a scare from it. Even the scares from IT/wacky CGI monster are basically the same.

Bowers. I haven't read the book, but this was what looked like a good storyline getting cut off almost immediately.

Ending. Almost felt like a complete copy from the first movie iirc. Wasn't great, and was well foreshadowed by Stephen King that the ending would be crap lol.

Horror Clichťs. Could see Eddie being killed as soon as he turns his back on IT to celebrate. Dumb.

Was listening to a podcast which was saying that the movie, and IT was a look at society in small towns, and why people leave. Hate crimes against homosexuals, racism, fat shaming, rapists, domestic abuse, etc. Didn't really pick up on that, is that a theme in the book?

Still enjoyed it. Was funny in parts, love Bill Skarsgard as IT, runtime didn't feel like 3 hours.

7/10
  • wuntyphyve 11 Sep 2019 15:35:42 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @JYM60 Re: Your latter spoiler. Yes. That's a MASSIVE theme in the book (pretty much the main theme, and how IT is basically a physical manifestation of that hatred, that intolerance, it's why it's so happy in Derry) and pretty much completely omitted from the films. A hint in chapter 1 and pretty much nothing in chapter 2. A real shame.

Also, the treatment of Bowers in both films pisses me off, the character is so much more than what was represented here.

Edited by wuntyphyve at 15:37:06 11-09-2019
  • JYM60 11 Sep 2019 16:21:20 17,805 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    wuntyphyve wrote:
    @JYM60 Re: Your latter spoiler. Yes. That's a MASSIVE theme in the book (pretty much the main theme, and how IT is basically a physical manifestation of that hatred, that intolerance, it's why it's so happy in Derry) and pretty much completely omitted from the films. A hint in chapter 1 and pretty much nothing in chapter 2. A real shame.

Also, the treatment of Bowers in both films pisses me off, the character is so much more than what was represented here. [/spoiler
    I only watched it last night, then listened to a podcast (The Weekly Planet) today, but I am wondering did I miss stuff...

Is Richie gay? And in love with Eddie? I know IT was saying he knew his secret? I assume that was it, but I totally missed this in the movie if it was actually revealed...
  • ChiefGB 11 Sep 2019 18:22:50 11,338 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    IT: Chapter 2

Woooow, they really fucked this one up. Is it a horror? Is it a comedy? Because it's terrible at both of those things, not being particularly scary or funny. The adult characters are fine, but they don't really spend nearly enough time together, so it's almost impossible to feel any real chemistry between them.

Pennywise is still fine. But the book is more about how traumatic childhood experiences affect you as an adult, and the movie kind of forgets that.

I heard that they're mulling over doing an extended version that cuts between kid and adult periods in the same way the book does, so you get more connection. I might be interested in watching that, if it gets made. But this was a mess.

4/10
    https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.ign.com/articles/2019/07/29/it-chapter-two-producer-confirms-directors-cut%3famp=1
    This may have something to do with it.

Edited by ChiefGB at 18:25:26 11-09-2019
  • Mola_Ram 11 Sep 2019 18:43:54 21,246 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I was thinking more of having the two chapters spliced together, rather than a "director's cut" with new footage. But I might even be interested in a DC, if it fixes some of the weird loose ends of the theatrical release.
  • Khanivor 11 Sep 2019 21:38:42 44,105 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    John Wick 3 - 8/10

I really enjoyed this chapter. Great action, of course, plenty of characters and enjoyable works development and a lot of actors having a lot of fun which is contagious. Itís also just sumptuously beautiful to look at, owing a huge debt to both Bladeunner and digital colorization. Just so damn lovely to look at.

The killing does get a bit tedious after a while although there are some particularly enjoyable deaths, plus those two non-kills which struck the strongest character/world note for me.

A big improvement from 2.
  • QBX 13 Sep 2019 00:13:44 70 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Blair Witch - 5/10

Up until the final third it was doing a decent enough rehash of the original film and its atmosphere. Then it decides to explode in your face with noise/effects and the witch herself making an appearance where it lost any interest I had.

Inferno - 2/10

Italian Hammer horror alike. People start to die when a woman believes her apartment is home to a witch. One for fans of classic horror films as this is badly dated and really not all that interesting.

It's also part of a trilogy so may look out the other parts for the sake of curiosity.
  • RawShark 13 Sep 2019 10:57:18 728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    The Predator on Sky today. I am going on with the lowest of expectations.
  • anephric 13 Sep 2019 11:07:44 3,389 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    QBX wrote:
    Inferno - 2/10
    Hang on, you give the ploppy remake of Blair Witch three points more than Dario Argento's second-best (maybe third) film?

I simply will not have this.
  • MoGamer2006 13 Sep 2019 11:17:58 1,065 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    @RawShark However low your expectations already are, lower them further. :(
  • RawShark 13 Sep 2019 22:18:36 728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    MoGamer2006 wrote:
    @RawShark However low your expectations already are, lower them further. :(
    I did. And they were still not nearly low enough.

Itís. So. Fucking. SHIT! Shane Black! What have you done!

Salt in the wound, Hollywood doesnít get video games moment.

Lead military character man comes back to his broken home to find his autistic kid has the Game Over screen from Donít Starve on his monitor.

Proceeds to say: ďI specifically said no first person shooter, no combat games!Ē
  • adamasunder12 13 Sep 2019 22:22:28 727 posts
    Seen 18 minutes ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    I'm still in a state of shock how Black could have stumbled so hard.

Still will watch it as I'm far too curious for my own good.
  • RawShark 13 Sep 2019 22:27:24 728 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Right. Lifeís too short for this. Stopping watching at 49 minutes.

Out of 10. Out of 100. A zero is the same no matter what / out of 10.

Predators was shit but at least it made sense.
  • wuntyphyve 13 Sep 2019 22:42:46 12,668 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @RawShark good call. It only gets worse. Appalling film. Utterly dreadful.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.