Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3959

• sirtacos 10 Oct 2019 17:02:56 8,187 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Hereditary

Best horror-ish film I've seen in possibly years. Gets a bit silly at times but even so it's creepy, excellent and a bit unhinged.

9/10
  • RawShark 10 Oct 2019 23:31:38 763 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I didnít hate hereditary, but I am baffled by the high praise itís gotten. I mean, did you not think the exposition and foreshadowing stuck our like an erection at church?
  • Saul_Iscariot 10 Oct 2019 23:47:13 3,187 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    X-Men : Dark Phoenix - considering the panning it got from a lot of places, and it may be the lowered expectations factor, it wasnít as awful as I was expecting. It could have done with, either, another film between this one and Apocalypse or just a bit more so we could see how devoted Jean and Scott were to one another. And a bit more to establish some of the other characters motivations and relationships. The comics had a lot of build up before this comic storyline came to a head.

Beast and Magneto come out of it well, but as they are two of the better characters since this inception launched. But some of the others arenít handled anywhere near as well.

Where this leaves the X-Men film s for Marvel should be slightly concerning as several of the biggest storylines have been done, quite badly in most cases. Will they re do these or ignore them?

7/10

Edited by Saul_Iscariot at 23:50:26 10-10-2019
  • sirtacos 11 Oct 2019 00:28:02 8,187 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    I didnít hate hereditary, but I am baffled by the high praise itís gotten. I mean, did you not think the exposition and foreshadowing stuck our like an erection at church?
    Yes, but as a former choir boy that's right up my alley

Edited by sirtacos at 02:21:10 11-10-2019
  • HarryPalmer 11 Oct 2019 11:33:17 5,979 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Baby Driver - 5/10

I have no idea why this got such good reviews. As a caper/heist film it lacks pretty much everything you want from those genres. It seems to start off as some kind of quirky french comedy/romance/caper/musical which works about as well as you expect it to, but then veers off into sub-John Woo 90s style action for a bit. The tone is all over the place.

I didn't care about the characters at all, they were all 1 dimensional and underwritten, and the romance was bland AF. Even Kevin Spacey is phoning it in.

The much-touted musical car chases were nicely done, but quite underwhelming - turns out Edgar Wright has the most generic middle-aged white man musical taste on earth.
  • sirtacos 11 Oct 2019 12:17:58 8,187 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Thought the same. It's an OK film and John Hamm is entertainingly hammy but it left me cold
  • Chug666 11 Oct 2019 12:20:59 604 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I enjoyed Baby Driver, but my movie taste is all over the place and I have a near infinite patience for derivative crap so don't listen to me.

Anyhow... Saw Ad Astra earlier this week and can't decide how to rate it. It was kind of good, kind of slow, quite nice to look at but I'm not sure it was nearly as deep as it thought it was. Unless I completely missed the point. I think I mainly liked it, Brad Pitt looks quite old in it, and there wasn't nearly enough Liv Tyler.

I'm going with a non committal 7/10.
  • JoelStinty 11 Oct 2019 12:37:25 8,156 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Just a heads up the breaking bad film hits netflix today
  • JamboWayOh 11 Oct 2019 12:57:19 15,074 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Chug666 wrote:
    I enjoyed Baby Driver, but my movie taste is all over the place and I have a near infinite patience for derivative crap so don't listen to me.

Anyhow... Saw Ad Astra earlier this week and can't decide how to rate it. It was kind of good, kind of slow, quite nice to look at but I'm not sure it was nearly as deep as it thought it was. Unless I completely missed the point. I think I mainly liked it, Brad Pitt looks quite old in it, and there wasn't nearly enough Liv Tyler.

I'm going with a non committal 7/10.
    Livvy brunette.
  • RawShark 11 Oct 2019 13:16:57 763 posts
    Seen 25 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Just a heads up the breaking bad film hits netflix today
    I have to admit I'm going into El Camino with extreme trepidation. If there was one series that doesn't really need any continuation it's Breaking Bad.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 11 Oct 2019 13:23:07 21,091 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Flicked through a few reviews and it sounds very average.
  • adamasunder12 11 Oct 2019 13:30:41 926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    So far it's very well shot. But that's a given
  • Dougs 11 Oct 2019 13:31:15 90,576 posts
    Seen 15 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    A Netflix film that's average? Surely not!

(I can't wait btw)
  • adamasunder12 11 Oct 2019 13:40:38 926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    There is one really jarring thing but I don't remember how to spoiler on a phone. It's not really a spoiler as such but still...
  • kentmonkey 11 Oct 2019 13:44:31 23,141 posts
    Seen 33 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    The Dark Crystal

I remember watching this as a kid and thinking it was confusing and dull.

Was surprised to find I was right. Very little happens, the gelfling is the least likely saviour I have ever seen, every character bar him walks around at a snails pace and 1hr40m later I'm not even sure what the story was. That ending scene was...... Something else. Just about 20 puppets shuffling around for 5 mins while some rocks fall down everywhere but where they are shuffling around.

I've got a feeling this will have a cult following so prepared for the inevitable attack but....3/10 (and that's me being generous for the puppetry)
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2019 14:16:26 21,494 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I am strongly considering yarring the Breaking Bad movie. I won't have access to my Netflix for two weeks, and I don't think I'll be able to avoid hearing everything about it for that long.
  • adamasunder12 11 Oct 2019 14:26:39 926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Excuse me for being dumb but what's yarring?
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2019 14:28:12 21,494 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Pirating.
  • adamasunder12 11 Oct 2019 14:29:19 926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Hahaha!

Of course.
  • robthehermit 11 Oct 2019 14:30:12 7,460 posts
    Seen 19 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    I am strongly considering yarring the Breaking Bad movie. I won't have access to my Netflix for two weeks, and I don't think I'll be able to avoid hearing everything about it for that long.
    Can you not just download it from Netflix?
  • TechnoHippy 11 Oct 2019 14:33:19 15,436 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Post deleted
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2019 14:34:36 21,494 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    robthehermit wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Can you not just download it from Netflix?
    Nope, my Netflix doesn't work here. And the Netflix that does work here, doesn't have the Breaking Bad movie.
  • adamasunder12 11 Oct 2019 15:07:08 926 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 5 months ago
    Yarr it. Not like you haven't already paid to see it
  • Mr_Sleep 11 Oct 2019 15:33:05 22,834 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just seen Knives Out at the London Film Festival. It was a lot of fun, the best reference is probably something like Clue or one of those who done it's with a big dollop of sight gags and word play. Well worth a watch. Great cast too, Daniel Craig probably steals the show.
  • JoeBlade 11 Oct 2019 15:44:41 4,498 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    And the Netflix that does work here, doesn't have the Breaking Bad movie.
    Huh? How is that possible? It's a Netflix film!

I know AMC and Sony are involved as well but surely they can't prevent Netflix from airing a film they've co-produced. o_O
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2019 15:54:10 21,494 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

I know AMC and Sony are involved as well but surely they can't prevent Netflix from airing a film they've co-produced. o_O
    I dunno, it might be a government censorship thing here (in Myanmar), there's loads of stuff you can't watch. I haven't investigated fully tbf (I can't browse the whole library without signing up for Myanmar Netflix), but even if it were available it seems like too much hassle.
  • askew 11 Oct 2019 16:25:34 19,962 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Just seen Knives Out at the London Film Festival. It was a lot of fun, the best reference is probably something like Clue or one of those who done it's with a big dollop of sight gags and word play. Well worth a watch. Great cast too, Daniel Craig probably steals the show.
    Excellent. I was trying to place his Deep South accent when I watched the trailer. Reminded me of something elseÖ
  • JoeBlade 11 Oct 2019 16:32:17 4,498 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    askew wrote:
    Mr_Sleep wrote:
    Excellent. I was trying to place his Deep South accent when I watched the trailer. Reminded me of something elseÖ
    Yeah, good to hear. It's one of the few upcoming films I'm really looking forward to.
  • Derblington 11 Oct 2019 16:44:34 31,987 posts
    Seen 22 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    JoeBlade wrote:
    Mola_Ram wrote:

I dunno, it might be a government censorship thing here (in Myanmar), there's loads of stuff you can't watch. I haven't investigated fully tbf (I can't browse the whole library without signing up for Myanmar Netflix), but even if it were available it seems like too much hassle.
    The Hitman's Bodyguard was a Netflix film in (all/parts of) Asia but got theatrical releases in the west.
  • Mola_Ram 11 Oct 2019 16:47:41 21,494 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I think maybe there's a difference between ones that were actually made by Netflix, and ones that they just bought the distribution rights for. Annihilation was like that.

Anyway, I pirated it. I will pay my penance to Netflix in a couple of weeks. :p

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.