Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3961

• You-can-call-me-kal 13 Oct 2019 15:59:00 17,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You donít need to qualify your opinions with things like ďI think, I feel, for meĒ etc. Itís a review, your opinion is implied. You can strike all those out and itíll sharpen up your writing. In fact an extension of that point is a test copy editors do is to keep on striking out words to see if the meaning stays the same.
  • beastmaster 13 Oct 2019 16:07:08 19,546 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    You donít need to qualify your opinions with things like ďI think, I feel, for meĒ etc. Itís a review, your opinion is implied. You can strike all those out and itíll sharpen up your writing. In fact an extension of that point is a test copy editors do is to keep on striking out words to see if the meaning stays the same.
    Ah. Thanks. The reason I put those in is because people were saying that I was stating my opinion as fact. Appreciate your advice.
  • fontgeeksogood 13 Oct 2019 16:09:58 7,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Also, stop writing "screw Flanders"
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Oct 2019 16:21:30 17,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Ah. Thanks. The reason I put those in is because people were saying that I was stating my opinion as fact. Appreciate your advice.
    The art of reviewing is finding the balance between objective Ďfactí statements and editorial, and developing a unique style that means you do both without signposting the latter (and annoying your readers). Itís a much harder format than people realise. Iím shit at it.
  • JoelStinty 13 Oct 2019 19:05:55 8,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Brazil

Probably not the best film to watch hungover and you need a nap a quarter of the way through. Been a while since I last seen this, think the first half is great middle sags a little bit and the ending is just bonkers. Didnít really click for me on this viewing, nevertheless the playfulness of it is incredible. So many visual gags, itís almost a stop motion film at times with its inventiveness, and coming from Gilliam you can see how it has come to be. Does contain a great video game boss battle though.
  • Lukus 13 Oct 2019 19:08:06 22,296 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Black Panther.

Probably one of the worst Marvel films I've seen. The CGI was particularly rubbish, looking rushed and low budget relative to some of the other movies in the franchise. The main bad guy was shit and uninteresting, as was the title character. Tim from The Office seemed out of place and nothing about the story or setting grabbed me at any point throughout. Very average.

5/10
  • Pierre2k 13 Oct 2019 21:34:46 1,149 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    @Pierre2k Is it better or worse than 1922? The girl I'm seeing and me tried to watch that piece of shit but we just ended up pissing ourselves at Jane's extreme southern drawl.

Then watched The Ritual instead. Which was okay(ish

Gerald's Game wasn't too bad so if you want a Stephen King film you could do a lot worse
    Not watched 1922, so can't compare, but I'd stirgfle to imagine 1922 being worse. Fancy watching Gerald's Game. Need to add it to my list.
  • nickthegun 13 Oct 2019 22:17:48 79,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    1922 is actually pretty good. It's a slow burn, creeping dread kind of thing.
  • Juz 13 Oct 2019 22:24:59 3,378 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Mortal Engines

Really not as bad as I'd been lead to believe. Sumptuous sfx, and it was predictable but it was..a..good.....

...romp

Another vote for Avengement over here too. Almost parody, but entertaining.
  • IronGiant 13 Oct 2019 23:04:44 5,978 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Black Panther.

Probably one of the worst Marvel films I've seen. The CGI was particularly rubbish, looking rushed and low budget relative to some of the other movies in the franchise. The main bad guy was shit and uninteresting, as was the title character. Tim from The Office seemed out of place and nothing about the story or setting grabbed me at any point throughout. Very average.

5/10
    Canít disagree with any of that, one of the Marvel movies that watching once is more than enough.
  • ChiefGB 13 Oct 2019 23:25:52 11,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @Juz I liked it at the cinema, didnít really like the Asian women and her crew bit she was a bit of a poor actress I thought. But I liked the personal beats of the story (as unoriginal as they were, the main actors were likeable enough).
    Id have probably watched another, doubt weíll ever get it.
  • neilka 13 Oct 2019 23:31:40 22,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    At least you don't hate black people like user Lukus.
  • Lukus 13 Oct 2019 23:53:21 22,296 posts
    Seen 38 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I don't understand why Denzel had to play every character
  • Nanocrystal 13 Oct 2019 23:59:54 1,920 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    I actually really appreciate those kinds of qualifiers. If Rogueywon had said "I feel The Last Guardian was shit" rather than simply stating it as if it was a fact, I wouldn't have punched a hole in my bedroom wall last week.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Oct 2019 08:20:54 17,917 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Nanocrystal wrote:
    I actually really appreciate those kinds of qualifiers. If Rogueywon had said "I feel The Last Guardian was shit" rather than simply stating it as if it was a fact, I wouldn't have punched a hole in my bedroom wall last week.
    Weirdly (and Iím not really sure why this is) I think opinion qualifiers are somehow still important in internet discussion posts, even though opinion is still equally implied. Probably something to do with the unwritten rules of actual conversation and politeness.

I realise you were kinda joking but I find it really interesting.
  • nickthegun 14 Oct 2019 08:32:32 79,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's also the difference between a conversation and a review.

'The Black Panther is garbage' is fine in a review but 'I thought the Black Panther was garbage' is much less aggressive in a general chat about it.
  • Mola_Ram 14 Oct 2019 08:32:33 21,765 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    I put "imo" and "for me" and stuff like that in posts (even if opinion is implied, making them redundant) because I think people will get mad if I don't.

But if that's not the case, I will try to cut down on it!
  • nickthegun 14 Oct 2019 08:39:09 79,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    If you do it too much, it makes it look like you arenít confident of your opinion and are terrified of offending people.

Itís actually one of my pet hates IRL and one of the reasons Iíve stopped listening to talksport as much. They have so many ex-pros on there who are terrified of offending their next meal ticket, every statement is a Ďfor meí sandwich.

Edited by nickthegun at 08:39:27 14-10-2019
  • Tonka 14 Oct 2019 08:42:49 29,937 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    It is because forumites are mostly anti social fuckwits. Everything needs to be stated explicitly or the keyboard warriors will bad-faith it to the ground.

Contrast that with select bits of Twitter, where communication is largely implied or done via memes. Different users, different cognitive skills.

All in my most humble of subjective opinions.
  • fontgeeksogood 14 Oct 2019 16:34:56 7,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    I think Tonka is a massive bawbag
  • fontgeeksogood 14 Oct 2019 16:35:29 7,565 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Wait, did I need the "I think"
  • askew 14 Oct 2019 16:51:04 20,237 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Needed more 'redpiller'.
  • Graxlar_v3 14 Oct 2019 16:55:11 8,340 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    If you do it too much, it makes it look like you arenít confident of your opinion and are terrified of offending people.

Itís actually one of my pet hates IRL and one of the reasons Iíve stopped listening to talksport as much. They have so many ex-pros on there who are terrified of offending their next meal ticket, every statement is a Ďfor meí sandwich.
    you would (if you do not already) despise me in real life, nearly every comment that comes out of my mouth is, to be honest, for me or in my opinion.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 14 Oct 2019 17:01:31 21,502 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    He did manage to get "keyboard warriors" and "bad faith" in there though which fills his buzzword quoter for the last hour.
  • nickthegun 14 Oct 2019 17:29:24 79,230 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Graxlar_v3 wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:

you would (if you do not already) despise me in real life, nearly every comment that comes out of my mouth is, to be honest, for me or in my opinion.
    Get confident, stupid.
  • JoelStinty 14 Oct 2019 17:31:41 8,278 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Professor Marston and the Wonder Woman

A biopic or how Wonder Woman came to be. A lot kinkier than I was expecting. Enjoyed it a lot.

It was actually a good film which doesnít just look at the creation of Wonder Woman but ... well a lot. If anything the creation of Wonder Woman is actually a small part of the film in which it details the life of Marston whom was a professor in psychology, the creator the lie detection test and one part of a mťnage a trios. In the background the politics of comic books, and the rise of fascism (both literal and artistically) tie the film to the modern day alongside also being a LBGTQI film at its heart too. Itís a very satisfying film with all three leads (Luke Evans, Rebecca Hall and Bella Heathcote) delivering very good performances.

4.25/5
  • neilka 14 Oct 2019 20:03:15 22,805 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I used to have a mťnage a Trios in my lunchbox at school.
  • ChiefGB 15 Oct 2019 00:14:37 11,646 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Thatís because it had ďnot one, not two but three things in itĒ
  • Dougs 15 Oct 2019 06:59:28 91,055 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Chocolatey biscuit and ? Too? I can't remember...
  • elstoof 15 Oct 2019 07:03:29 24,433 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I want a Trio and I want one NOW

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.