Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3963

• JoelStinty 16 Oct 2019 10:55:12 8,924 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    RAW

Good. Coming of age story told through the metaphor of cannibalism. Didn't quite put me of eating meat, but would put me of going to university if I had never been. Overall its good, if unsettling. Look forward to watching it again to get a proper feel for the film as I was kind of on edge for most of it. Thought the last scene wasn't really needed, I kind of get it, but for a film that was fresh and different and narratively interesting, it hit a bit of a bum note with it. But it doesn't really distract from the film as a whole which has a few memorable scenes.

4/5
  • smoothpete 16 Oct 2019 11:01:37 36,989 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Gemini Man - 3/10

The CGI is jarringly poor. Apparently they filmed this at 120 frames per second, I donít know why. It looks awful. The facial CG on young Will Smith is sometimes OK (very noticeable but you can kind of get over it). The main issue for me was the CG of his entire body - I absolutely didnít get this at all. The fight scenes are TERRIBLE. Like, bad bad bad. I donít see why they would CG his entire body rather than get a similar looking actor and deepfake just the face. There's no weight or momentum, it looks so wrong.

I have never felt so deep in the uncanny valley as with this film.

Honestly, I like Will Smith so extra point for that but this film is to be avoided
  • nickthegun 16 Oct 2019 13:56:36 82,291 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    smoothpete wrote:
    Apparently they filmed this at 120 frames per second, I donít know why. It looks awful.
    Kermode said something like his brain can't parse it as being cinematic. It feels like you are watching 90 minutes of behind the scenes footage.

Edited by nickthegun at 13:56:48 16-10-2019
  • Derblington 16 Oct 2019 14:03:09 33,414 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Did you see it in a screen that was projecting 120fps?

It sounds like a daft question but essentially no screens in the US are doing so, and only selected in the UK.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Oct 2019 14:12:55 20,043 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    ChiefGB wrote:
    Iíve tried to watch close encounters as a child but felt it was a boring film, somehow itís never appealed, does it hold up then excluding nostalgia?
    Yeah, it really does, other than a few scenes of child endangerment and the aforementioned deadbeat space dad plot points, which probably wouldn't fly now.

The problem, really, is that its one of those zeitgeisty movies that you would never be able to watch fresh. So much of it has passed into various cultural touchstones that I imagine you would sit there going 'oh, that's where that's from' for two hours.
    I think aside from the final section which is pretty boring now, it still all holds up. Itís a beautifully made film with interesting characters and the pacing of it all is incredible.
  • smoothpete 16 Oct 2019 14:59:42 36,989 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Derblington wrote:
    Did you see it in a screen that was projecting 120fps?

It sounds like a daft question but essentially no screens in the US are doing so, and only selected in the UK.
    Doubt it, it was the shitty local Vue. They only got around to turning the lights off because I went and asked them to.
  • anephric 16 Oct 2019 15:14:30 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Half of cinemas don't project at the right luminosity to save money on lamps, never mind Ang Lee and his 120fps fantasies. They haven't all upgraded to laser projectors yet.
  • Mola_Ram 16 Oct 2019 15:29:37 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ad Astra

Actually the second time seeing it. But I didn't give it a rating last time, so...

It's really good! I don't think I liked it quite as much as The Lost City of Z, but it's good sci-fi with strong themes. Many reviews said it cribbed a bit much from Apocalypse Now, but I think it developed into more of its own thing towards the end. And that was great. Brad Pitt was great, Tommy Lee Jones was great, and the brief appearances of Donald Sutherland and Ruth Negga, also great.

Only significant negative is that a couple of the action scenes (specifically the moon pirates and the crazy monkeys) felt like they belonged in another movie. It's like the producers looked at it, said "aw fuck there's not enough action, we need to put something in there so people won't get bored", and slapped together a couple of cheap thrills that don't really have anything to do with anything else in the movie. They didn't ruin it or anything, but yeah... slightly out of place.

The ending was also a bit trite now that I think about it, but I didn't really care at the time. Still recomeded

8/10

Edited by Mola_Ram at 16:27:20 16-10-2019
  • Mola_Ram 16 Oct 2019 15:49:07 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Stuckers gave it an A, btw. A bit higher than me.
  • RaymondLuxuryYacht 16 Oct 2019 15:49:20 359 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    Apparently they filmed this at 120 frames per second, I donít know why. It looks awful.
    Kermode said something like his brain can't parse it as being cinematic. It feels like you are watching 90 minutes of behind the scenes footage.
    My Dad's telly does something like this. No matter what movie you're watching, it feels like watching an episode of Casualty. Can't put my finger on what it is, but have assumed it was refresh rate or sonething. Just doesn't 'feel' like a film.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Oct 2019 15:50:44 20,043 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    You have some sort of smoothing mode on.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 16 Oct 2019 15:51:11 20,043 posts
    Seen 11 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It gets rid of judder but creates the soap opera effect. Judder is preferable.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Oct 2019 15:52:17 19,988 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    RaymondLuxuryYacht wrote:
    nickthegun wrote:
    smoothpete wrote:
    My Dad's telly does something like this. No matter what movie you're watching, it feels like watching an episode of Casualty. Can't put my finger on what it is, but have assumed it was refresh rate or sonething. Just doesn't 'feel' like a film.
    It would be a motion plus setting that operates in the higher refresh rates and causes that 'cheap TV show look' or Crossroads as it was called.
  • Tomo 16 Oct 2019 16:22:00 17,805 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    On the 120fps thing, the situation reminds me of watching The Hobbit at the cinema. The tech for that was just too good. You could tell it was all prosthetics and hugely impressive sets. It ended up being like watching D&D Eastenders.
  • Tomo 16 Oct 2019 16:22:58 17,805 posts
    Seen 20 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Ad Astra

snip

8/10
    Yeah, I was a big fan. It has issues, but it's stuck with me for a long time since.
  • anephric 16 Oct 2019 16:30:11 4,186 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Tom Cruise and his LRH tech disapprove of your motion smoothing.
  • JamboWayOh 16 Oct 2019 19:01:23 19,988 posts
    Seen 1 minute ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    On the 120fps thing, the situation reminds me of watching The Hobbit at the cinema. The tech for that was just too good. You could tell it was all prosthetics and hugely impressive sets. It ended up being like watching D&D Eastenders.
    It made a terrible trilogy of films even worse.
  • JYM60 16 Oct 2019 21:43:42 18,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    RAW

Good. Coming of age story told through the metaphor of cannibalism. Didn't quite put me of eating meat, but would put me of going to university if I had never been. Overall its good, if unsettling. Look forward to watching it again to get a proper feel for the film as I was kind of on edge for most of it. Thought the last scene wasn't really needed, I kind of get it, but for a film that was fresh and different and narratively interesting, it hit a bit of a bum note with it. But it doesn't really distract from the film as a whole which has a few memorable scenes.

4/5
    I may need to rewatch this. I seen it at the cinema when it came out, but thought that it absolutely did not do what it said on the tin. I found it incredibly unshocking and not unsettling at all. It was a bit like a boring episode of Skins, but French.
  • JoeBlade 16 Oct 2019 23:31:27 5,089 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Surprising I've not heard about these films before. Passports do sound like a thrilling base for a story.
  • JamesUK 17 Oct 2019 01:00:27 823 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Re. Raw. Isn't it a bit of a spoiler to mention cannibalism.
  • JYM60 17 Oct 2019 04:27:16 18,480 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    JamesUK wrote:
    Probably only if you've never heard a single thing about it. It was the main reason why I wanted to see it.
  • Mola_Ram 17 Oct 2019 06:16:20 23,982 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Sandrajohn988 wrote:
    I am Sandra john by name and i am located in Texas ,I recently saw a testimony about a spell caster of some sort in a blog I visit for relationship and dating counseling problems because i had been having serious problems with my boyfriend and we had been dating for 1 year, He just suddenly changed, He wasn\'t returning my calls, He started cheating, He was hurting me in so many ways i never thought possible and I just thought I should try this spell caster called Great Matatan Spell Cos there are so many good comments about him on the website, But before i could read his post,I have already contacted many spell caster that cheated me out of my hard earned money without given me result.But when i meet this spell caster out of desperation of some sort.I decided to contact them to please render there help to me, I explained all the problems that i was going through to him and he told me all i needed to do to get this spell castes. At first everything felt dreamy and unbelievable, Their consultations and solution was a little bit easy and strange and I was scared a little cos I had read and heard lots of stories of fake spell casters, scams and i never really believed in magic. I played along with a little hope and faith and I was sent some few stuffs after everything and it worked like a miracle, everything went to a whole new direction, it was and is amazing. I guess it was all good faith that made me read That particular post that faithful day.I hope they could help other people too like they did to me. I did a little and I got everything I wanted and wished for, My husband, My family and my life back You can contact Great Matatan Spell at *snip* because he changed my life.
    I have a few questions. You said that your boyfriend cheated on you and hurt you, but what happened to him? And at the end you said that you got your husband and family back, though you did not mention them before.

So be honest... it was you that was cheating, wasn't it?

Edited by Mola_Ram at 06:17:10 17-10-2019
  • nickthegun 17 Oct 2019 06:38:45 82,291 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    JamesUK wrote:
    Yeah, that bit is pretty racist. What have you done for me lately, edddddiiiiiieeeee?
  • macmurphy 17 Oct 2019 07:39:34 4,286 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Robin Hood.

The New Taron Egerton one. Not as terrible as I thought it would be. There were loads of bits that were blatantly shit, not least scenes using actual proper electric lighting. Like not even pretend flames, full on you canít bend it electric lights (the scene where a character is checking some documents).

It was also a waste of an unbelievably stellar cast. Any movie that gets Ben Mendelsohn and F Murray Abraham together should be one for the ages. See also Jamie Fox, Paul Anderson and Jamie Dornan who have done some great stuff.

But I actually thought Mendelsohn and Fox were fine. Iíve yet to see Mendelsohn in anything I didnít love him in, and if youíre going to do pantomime villain you can at least do it with a bit of Rickman panache.

Egerton is patchy here as he still maintains his cheeky chappie Kingsman schtick which seems unsuited for this part. The historical reimagining was nowhere near as deft as A Knightís Tale managed, though the party scene and the costumes had some flair.

Reading the reviews I thought Iíd want to freeze my turds then screw them into my eye sockets instead of watching and it wasnít that bad.

Clearly set up for a sequel that wonít happen, shit ending, waste of a cast but a steady

5/10.

Edited by macmurphy at 07:40:10 17-10-2019
  • dominalien 17 Oct 2019 09:14:38 9,652 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Raw

What a beautiful tale. Some people will dye their hair or get a tattoo, others apparently do... all that.

A romp.

7/10
  • SuperSoupy 17 Oct 2019 09:46:41 198 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Joker... again.

Yep, it's still brilliant.
  • Pierre2k 17 Oct 2019 10:39:04 1,214 posts
    Seen 37 minutes ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Fractured

Latest Netflix "blockbuster" starring Sam 'Avatar' Worthington. Plot revolves around his daughter having an accident, he and his wife take her to the hospital, she goes for a CT scan with the wife, and the two of them never reappear. The hospital deny he even came in with anyone else. The rest of the movie involves you, the viewer, trying to determine if it really is an organ harvesting conspiracy, or if it's all in his head.

I watched this after a few friends recommended it. Overall, it's ok. I didn't love it by any stretch, but it was worth a watch. Above average IMO and the ending, whilst quite predictable, was still a decent cap on the movie. The movie thinks it is cleverer than it is, and it's a bit of a one trick pony (think something like the 6th sense where it entirely hinges on the ending), but I'd still suggest giving it a shot.

7/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.