Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 3982

• KnuttinAtoll 5 Nov 2019 17:09:45 7,543 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Heís developed underwater motion capture. Underwater.

Edited by KnuttinAtoll at 17:10:02 05-11-2019
  • beastmaster 5 Nov 2019 17:10:54 19,546 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    A film doesnít make that much money if people think itís shit. Many people saw it multiple times.

I honestly think the effects will be sensational and will blow everything else out of the....wait for it...water!
  • KnuttinAtoll 5 Nov 2019 17:12:23 7,543 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Joyless_Man wrote:
    Derblington wrote:
    Underwater mo-cap is their next push.

Avatar has positive user scores everywhere you look too. It does have some "hate" but it's the usual vocal minority that hang out online. They aren't representative of the audience at large.
    Nobody I know likes it and most of them aren't forum scum like me.

They are all of a similar opinion. "Nice 3D at the time, story dogshit".
    That's the thing. I enjoyed the 3D at the time, it was a novelty (that wore off very quickly i.e. with the next film I watched in 3D), but I never felt the need to buy it on Bluray/DVD because I didn't think I'd ever want to watch it again. It was... alright I guess.
  • Joyless_Man 5 Nov 2019 17:13:19 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I think people do Avatar a bit of a disservice suggesting itís success was just because of FX gimmicks. It helped, but Cameron films are bankable, FX or not. And all his films are action masterpieces, even Titanic.
    In terms of Avatar, I don't agree with that really. If you took the 3D word of mouth buzz out of the equation, I doubt it would have been anywhere near as big a hit. I think it did more than help.

Everyone was absolutely gushing about the 3D at the time like it was some sort of magic. It become a must see for that reason. I definitely wouldn't have bothered if not for that.
  • Joyless_Man 5 Nov 2019 17:15:49 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    A film doesnít make that much money if people think itís shit. Many people saw it multiple times.

Yeah they do if there's a 3D gimmick. It was a bit like the Wii. Everyone and their nan had to get involved. Then it went in the bin when everyone realised it was a gimmick.

And you would watch anything multiple times so not really sure you're qualified to discuss it.

How many times did you see Avatar? 34?
  • Deleted user 5 November 2019 17:21:54
    People that go to the cinema multiple times to see the same film is niche.

Many people going to see a much hyped film that only showed itself to be Emperors New Clothes after the fact is much more likely.

Many people went to see Titanic. History hasn't been too kind to that critically.
  • SuperSoupy 5 Nov 2019 18:05:54 124 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I like it.
  • Deleted user 5 November 2019 18:47:53
    So do I
  • anephric 5 Nov 2019 18:49:49 3,525 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I went to see Starship Troopers four times. Bazinga!
  • Deleted user 5 November 2019 18:52:08
    I went to see that at 15. And was blown away by how fucking gorey and nudey it was.

BBFC poets day on that one.
  • richarddavies 5 Nov 2019 18:53:11 6,861 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    I like to imagine scenes in Titanic but Rose is played by Johnny Vegas.

"Draw me like one of your French girls Jack"
  • Deleted user 5 November 2019 18:56:25
    Sounds like a deepfake that needs to happen
  • Dougs 5 Nov 2019 19:25:48 91,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I tried to watch Avatar 3 or 4 times but got bored after about 45 mins, every time. Really should give it another go
  • Mr_Sleep 5 Nov 2019 19:30:10 22,908 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    @Dougs or not. Watch Last of the Mohicans and imagine the native Americans are blue and you get the idea.
  • Dougs 5 Nov 2019 19:48:17 91,055 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Roger that!
  • thelzdking 6 Nov 2019 06:31:29 9,660 posts
    Seen 57 seconds ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Avatar is dull, dull, dull. Pointless.
  • fontgeeksogood 6 Nov 2019 06:42:52 7,565 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How dare you disrespect the story of Pocahontas sir
  • Mola_Ram 6 Nov 2019 06:53:42 21,765 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    It's not a terrible movie. But yes the technology is absolutely the main reason that people went to watch it.

Unlike Cameron's other big movies, the visuals in Avatar are pretty much the only thing memorable about it. The characters aren't, the dialogue isn't, and neither is the story in general.
  • RyanDS 6 Nov 2019 10:20:11 12,925 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    adamasunder12 wrote:
    People that go to the cinema multiple times to see the same film is niche.

Many people going to see a much hyped film that only showed itself to be Emperors New Clothes after the fact is much more likely.

Many people went to see Titanic. History hasn't been too kind to that critically.
    Even RLM loved it. I love their review where you go in expecting them to tear it to shreds and they gush over it.
  • evild_edd 6 Nov 2019 10:23:58 4,172 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    It's not a terrible movie. But yes the technology is absolutely the main reason that people went to watch it.

Unlike Cameron's other big movies, the visuals in Avatar are pretty much the only thing memorable about it. The characters aren't, the dialogue isn't, and neither is the story in general.
    This is pretty much spot on.

If there's one positive about the Avatar plot it's that the McGuffin was a substance named 'Unobtanium'. At least that's what I remember. It raised a genuine, unintentional laugh at the cinema.
  • anephric 6 Nov 2019 10:36:42 3,525 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't think Avatar's plot is particularly bad though unoriginal: its heart is in the right place ecologically (although it's the same patronising 'white man returning to nature' that's been a hoary old trope since Victorian times).

It's only USP plotwise was the avatars which are entirely superfluous as otherwise the plot could be served just as well without and then it's just Conrad/Kipling but with shiny blue CG.
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 6 Nov 2019 10:42:42 21,502 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    My main take away from Avatar was discovering that I would quite happily fuck a big blue cat alien thing if the opportunity presented itself.
  • Mola_Ram 6 Nov 2019 10:44:06 21,765 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Yes. The avatar thing could just as easily be, say, Kevin Costner in Dances With Wolves, Tom Cruise in The Last Samurai, the main character in Dune, etc etc. It's a sci-fi spin on a very old trope.

Which again doesn't make it bad. It's just not very distinctive.
  • Derblington 6 Nov 2019 10:44:40 32,137 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Interestingly, Oakley sunglasses make their earsocks and nosepads from unobtanium.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Nov 2019 10:44:44 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I think what gets forgotten is again, some incredibly brilliant action sequences, especially the last one which is epic. Itís similar with Titanic, the last hour of which is one massive and unbelievably good action sequence.

Cameron is an action director, and probably the best one ever. Whatís interesting about both Titanic and Avatar is how he elevated whatís usually a slightly trashy genre into something slightly higher brow. Admittedly with mixed success but the high quality of the action in his films means heís always going to be pure box office. The idea that itís all marketing gimmicks driving that success isnít really true.
  • Derblington 6 Nov 2019 10:47:52 32,137 posts
    Seen 12 hours ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    And the tech they created to do it is fucking cool. Not the 3D but the actual mo-cap visualisation stuff.
    Ignoring the Na'vi, Pandora is fucking cool. Still some of the best visual effects created, considering the entire fucking planet is CG.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Nov 2019 10:49:45 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Itís also an absolute certainty that the new Avatar films will have some absolutely incredible not yet seen tech Ďgimmickí anyway.
  • anephric 6 Nov 2019 11:06:41 3,525 posts
    Seen 45 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It does make me some somewhat sad that Cameron's big thing before was how much was done for real/practically (The Abyss/Titanic) and how far he was pushing that envelope, and now it's just what tech gimmick there will be.

I know that's the industry these days but ho-hum.
  • Joyless_Man 6 Nov 2019 11:09:38 627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 months ago
    I can't remember this epic action sequence at the end of avatar, can anyone else?
  • You-can-call-me-kal 6 Nov 2019 11:09:51 17,917 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Sort of. The Abyss and T2 were also absolute landmark CGI films too so thatís also always kind of been his thing too.

I think it all comes under the banner of cinematic technology.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.