Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4017

• AddyB_ 13 Jan 2020 13:51:05 98 posts
    Seen 34 minutes ago
    Registered 4 weeks ago
    nickthegun wrote:
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    I can't believe I've read some positive comments about Rocknrolla.
    It genuinely might be the worst film I've ever seen.
    Ritchie himself has put out two worse movies, Swept Away and Revolver.

Although, tbh, I do have a soft spot for Guy Ritchie movies, so I thought Revolver was alright. Rocknrolla was decent enough, too, even if it was a greatest hits movie.

Swept Away is a real piece of shit, though.
    You must have if you liked King Arthur (Daley)
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Jan 2020 13:53:36 18,711 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    There’s a whole bunch of films most people don’t even know he directed, Aladdin being the most surprising.
  • nickthegun 13 Jan 2020 13:57:23 79,779 posts
    Seen 28 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I didn’t realise he directed it until I heard I think it was the Kermode review. Odd that you get a ‘name’ to direct it and then never mention it in the promotion.

And, yes, I didn’t actually mind King Arthur. All of that historical stuff is so played out, I suppose I was just glad to see someone try to do something at least a bit different.

And by different I mean have Battle Elephants in medieval England and have Excalibur trigger SSJ4.
  • TechnoHippy 13 Jan 2020 14:01:04 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Excalibur is still my favourite King Arthur movie.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 13 Jan 2020 15:52:43 18,711 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It’s the best one by an absolute mile.
  • Nexus_6 13 Jan 2020 16:07:30 4,435 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise Of Skywalker: 80/100

I thought Gareth Bale did really well in the lead as Rey
  • JoeBlade 13 Jan 2020 16:35:02 4,588 posts
    Seen 3 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Nexus_6 wrote:
    Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise Of Skywalker: 80/100

I thought Gareth Bale did really well in the lead as Rey
    ... as a Predator.
  • Blakester 13 Jan 2020 21:50:47 4,900 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Malek86 wrote:
    The Running Man

The second most 80's movie ever (first place would be Escape From NY). But it doesn't make a lot of sense, even by Arnie flick standards. It has some clear Warriors vibes, but fails to live up to it. Decent action, but even that is subpar all things considered. Not one of Schwarzenegger's best.

6/10
    You shut your filthy whore mouth.

There’s nothing sub-bar about this masterpiece.

Where else would you get such poetry as:

“He had to split” and “What a hothead”.
  • Jono62 13 Jan 2020 21:54:00 23,338 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I don't do requests
  • Decks Best Forumite, 2016 13 Jan 2020 21:56:42 22,213 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 4 years ago
    Yeah can't say I'm entirely comfortable with people bad mouthing The Running Man.
  • richarddavies 13 Jan 2020 22:10:24 7,012 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bad mouthing most of Arnie's 80's work is sacrilege. Only fucking weirdo's have anything bad to say.

Commando's my fave for cheesy one liners. And it gets extra points for having the gayest villian in any form of entertainment media. Maybe even more than Shadowgangs.
  • JamboWayOh 13 Jan 2020 22:54:42 16,597 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Commando is fucking amazing, plus points for knowledge that the incredibly camp, doughy Bennett was in the same Commando unit as Arnie.

"John I'm not going to shoot you between the eyes! I'm going to shoot you between the balls!"

Homoeroticism at its best.
  • richarddavies 13 Jan 2020 23:00:57 7,012 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Bennett is amazing. Love his face here.

• Lukus 13 Jan 2020 23:17:03 22,545 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Commando isn't gay! It's dripping with pure, potent, hard, engorged masculinity.
  • richarddavies 13 Jan 2020 23:28:31 7,012 posts
    Seen 23 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
  • Lukus 13 Jan 2020 23:31:20 22,545 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Freddy Mercury's let himself go...
  • ChiefGB 14 Jan 2020 05:42:56 11,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    @nickthegun
    Yeah, to be honest I'm not a fan in general. I liked Lock stock and Snatch when they came out but having seen them more recently..not so much.
    I liked his Sherlock films though.
    Also, having done a little research, I just realised that I actually was referring to Revolver as possibly the worst film ever made and not Rocknrolla, which I don't remember ever seeing
    Hmm I may be mixing them up slightly too, although I’m fairly sure I thought both were shite, revolver more so I think.
  • ChiefGB 14 Jan 2020 05:46:14 11,869 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Lukus wrote:
    Commando isn't gay! It's dripping with pure, potent, hard, engorged masculinity.
    “Let off some steam.......”
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jan 2020 06:08:21 22,150 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I met Vernon Wells once. He's made a pretty decent life for himself, even though people mostly know him as "Freddie Mercury in Commando" and "gay mohawk man in Mad Max 2".
  • bone-on 14 Jan 2020 06:32:28 473 posts
    Seen 35 minutes ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    In terms of 80s Arnie ......Raw Deal is pretty crap.

Plus I never got on with Twins either.
  • Zerobob 14 Jan 2020 10:47:53 2,320 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Marriage Story - 9/10

Really not my sort of thing - I prefer more hopeful films, or sci-fi/fantasy, rather than pure drama - but I couldn't help but get wrapped up in the story.

Strong performances all round, especially Scarlett Johansson and Adam Driver. I also think Ray Liotta deserves a special mention for his absolutely perfect performance as the battle-hardened, sleazy divorce lawyer.

It's also a strange film, as it seems to have been purposely written so that the viewer ultimately doesn't take a particular side in proceedings, and so serves as more of a cautionary tale about divorce and relationships, as well as a reflection of the litigiousness that plagues society, and the absurdity that goes along with it.

However, even aware of the film's intentions, I couldn't help but side with Adam Driver's character. Maybe it's because I'm also male, but Scarlett Johansson's character seemed unnecessarily vindictive, so much so I just couldn't side with her.

Her main complaint was that her career was being suffocated by her husband and she had lost her independence (something she could have rectified without divorce proceedings) so to reclaim this independence she moved in with her rich mother in LA (?) taking their child with her, "lawyered up" whilst doing her best to cut her husband off from a good lawyer and their child, manufactured a fake life in LA, and was even petty enough to change her plans last minute and make her husband stay in hotels.

Yes, I get the film's intentions; By the end they've switch roles. Scarlett Johansson's character ends up living where she wants to live and is now a director, and Adam Driver's character felt he had to uproot from New York to be near their child and he supposedly "learns his lesson", but I'm not sure I'd have so willingly accepted this outcome, as I never believed Scarlett Johansson's character was really uprooted in the first place.

Ultimately, Scarlett Johansson's character took their child under somewhat false circumstances, used her mother and her wealth as a safety net, and hired a lawyer to start a game her husband couldn't hope to compete in, or gain a fair outcome from. Should this be accepted and applauded?

Maybe that's the film's message... "Life is unfair". I thought maybe the film's message was "After a divorce nobody wins". But thinking about it, it seems the film's message was "Make sure you entertain your partner's every whim and desire, or they'll lawyer up and destroy your life".
  • creepiest-lizard 14 Jan 2020 11:46:21 937 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I can't believe the amount of films that Nicholas Cage keeps making. I just keep finding new little treaures all the time. Just found a film on Amazon called A score to settle. Anybody seen this potential classic?

Obviously they're all shit but this HP Lovecraft adaptation coming out next year looks interesting and I'm still waiting for a proper good film made from one of his books.
    Color out of space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYAXMwCpk0

By the director of the binned Island of Dr Moreau, no less

Edited by creepiest-lizard at 11:46:59 14-01-2020
  • Mola_Ram 14 Jan 2020 12:08:26 22,150 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    My most anticipated upcoming Cage-laboration is Prisoners of the Ghostland, directed by notable crazy Japanese person Sion Sono. Cage puts it as such:

"It's pretty wild. I wear a skintight black leather jumpsuit with grenades attached to different body parts, and if I don’t rescue the governor’s daughter from this state line where they’re all ghosts and bring her back they’re gonna blow me up.”
  • TechnoHippy 14 Jan 2020 12:13:35 15,838 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    I can't believe the amount of films that Nicholas Cage keeps making. I just keep finding new little treaures all the time. Just found a film on Amazon called A score to settle. Anybody seen this potential classic?

Obviously they're all shit but this HP Lovecraft adaptation coming out next year looks interesting and I'm still waiting for a proper good film made from one of his books.
    Color out of space

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfYAXMwCpk0

By the director of the binned Island of Dr Moreau, no less
    I know it's going to be rubbish,but I still hope for a decent film out of it.
  • challenge_hanukkah 14 Jan 2020 12:41:09 11,887 posts
    Seen 29 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    My most anticipated upcoming Cage-laboration is Prisoners of the Ghostland, directed by notable crazy Japanese person Sion Sono. Cage puts it as such:

"It's pretty wild. I wear a skintight black leather jumpsuit with grenades attached to different body parts, and if I don’t rescue the governor’s daughter from this state line where they’re all ghosts and bring her back they’re gonna blow me up.”
    Wow, that's actually real and not a malaria induced fever dream.
  • You-can-call-me-kal 14 Jan 2020 12:43:37 18,711 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I just don’t understand why anyone that rich and successful would work so hard making so many bad films. It’s like he’s going for some sort of record or something.
  • creepiest-lizard 14 Jan 2020 12:45:44 937 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Didn't he have some sort of tax problem and owed the IRS a fortune or something?
  • Lotos8ter 14 Jan 2020 12:52:45 2,849 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    American Made 7/10

Enjoyable, 'too daft to be made up' tale of a pilot drafted to fly clandestine missions for the CIA, initially to photograph Central American insurgency, then as a gun runner, drug runner etc. Did someone mention Iran Contras...
    Tom World Cruise is always watchable, his Mrs is really hot and there's a half decent story lurking in there somewhere. It all runs into trouble when the Mrs' white trash family get involved and there's more to money laundering than samsonites full o' cash.

It was free to view on either Netflix or Amazon Prime - sorry, can't remember which.
  • macmurphy 14 Jan 2020 12:56:38 4,111 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    creepiest-lizard wrote:
    Didn't he have some sort of tax problem and owed the IRS a fortune or something?
    I think he just spends money like a motherfucker.

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.cnbc.com/amp/2017/05/10/craziest-things-nicholas-cage-bought-with-150-million.html

I can’t even begin to imagine the expense of running that many multi-million pound properties at once.

To be fair he seems like he likes to keep busy as well, and that results in the lack of quality control.

I can’t imagine a lot of these movies are paying much.
  • Blakester 14 Jan 2020 13:00:43 4,900 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    You-can-call-me-kal wrote:
    I just don’t understand why anyone that rich and successful would work so hard making so many bad films. It’s like he’s going for some sort of record or something.
    Mongolian dinosaur skulls don't pay for themselves you know...

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.