Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4035

• CrispyXUKTurbo 9 Feb 2020 12:49:58 2,954 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Me neither but itís the best lovecraft adaption out there.

Parasite 9/10

Really as good as they say, to explain any of the plot would spoil it. That itís a view on the class system as a black comedy, mystery and other genre mashups
  • Vortex808 9 Feb 2020 14:37:56 13,985 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Ex Machina

Quite enjoyed it. The ending especially, given what the ai creator said to domhnall gleeson before shit kicked off.

😃

70/100
  • Lukus 9 Feb 2020 14:50:07 23,545 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Wonder Woman.

Boring, overly long, substance-less, rubbish SFX, poorly animated bits, ridiculous plot, dreadful bad guy. A waste of two hours.

4 out of 10
  • JoelStinty 9 Feb 2020 15:26:10 8,968 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Lost in Translation

Been a couple of years since I last seen this. For me itís close to a perfect film as there is.

5/5
  • JoeBlade 9 Feb 2020 15:50:29 5,226 posts
    Seen 30 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Lost in Translation

Been a couple of years since I last seen this. For me itís close to a perfect film as there is.

5/5
    Agreed, one of the most heartwarming films I've ever seen. Debutante Johansson makes me melt.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 9 Feb 2020 15:53:01 2,954 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Youíre thinking of home alone 3 mate
  • Tomo 9 Feb 2020 15:59:35 18,060 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Videodrome - 8/10

Holds up very well. Some eerie quotes in the context of the Internet, social media etc. Pretty batshit crazy all around. Always a bit sad that Cronenberg wasn't more prolific really, given he's been around for the 40+ years.
  • Goban 9 Feb 2020 16:07:45 10,071 posts
    Seen 3 months ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    I've always had a love/hate thing with Cronenberg. As much as I appreciate his films, I don't actually like them very much. Always watch them though.
  • beastmaster 9 Feb 2020 16:10:52 21,196 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Birds of Prey - 3/10

I thought this film was fucking terrible. I got way more enjoyment watching Suicide Squad than this, which is a shame as I really wanted to love the film.

Why didn't I like it? For me, it got some key elements wrong.

The story. Thankfully it's not the one that was leaked but it's close enough. The diamond is still in there but what its significance has changed. That doesn't change the fact that I thought the story was really poor. There must have been some better source material they could have poached.

The characters. Apart from Harley and Black Mask, I didn't like any of them. They were poorly developed, unlikable in the extreme and worst of all, utterly bland. their abilities seemed to change drastically as and when needed.

The direction. Frankly, I thought this film was a mess. Tonally, its all over the place. They did bring in John Wick director Chad Stahelski to 'consult' on some of the action scenes and its incredible obvious which those scenes were. Those scenes are excellent. The ones where he's not involved are absolutely awful.

The humour. I didn't laugh once but not because I'm a miserable old bastard. It just wasn't funny.

The chemistry. I don't think there was much (if any) throughout the entire film. They try and be all pally and they're doing their best to sell it but I jut didn't believe any of it.

The film as I whole just didn't gel together for me. It just felt flat, boring and it just didn't connect with me at all.

There are a couple of things that I think prevents this film being a total and utter abysmal failure. Firstly, there are those fight scenes done by Chad Stahelski. I think they really are brilliant and it's a shame he didn't get to work on all of them. The climatic battle which you can tell he wasn't involved with just seemed like a kiddies pantomime in comparison.

There's also the performances from Margot Robbie and Ewan McGregor. McGregor delivers what I think is a really creepy, off-key performance and is one of the best things he's done for a while now.

This film was a colossal disappointment for me. I really wanted to love this and for the film to be a huge success, so we'd get a Gotham City Sirens film and more. Because who doesn't want want to see badass women kicking ass? I lot of people by the looks of things as this is tanking at the box office. I don't know how this film has been marketed outside of the trailers or what the reaction has been but this is a zero woke zone film.

Edit: I went on for a bit there. Again. Sorry.

Edited by beastmaster at 16:11:25 09-02-2020
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 9 Feb 2020 16:13:44 2,954 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Tomo wrote:
    Videodrome - 8/10

Holds up very well. Some eerie quotes in the context of the Internet, social media etc. Pretty batshit crazy all around. Always a bit sad that Cronenberg wasn't more prolific really, given he's been around for the 40+ years.
    Donít think Iíve ever finished it, love a cronenberg but seem to struggle with this one, think itís time to give it another go
  • TechnoHippy 9 Feb 2020 17:16:04 17,700 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rambo Last Blood

Not as bad as I'd heard, or feared, but still far from great. It's unnecessarily brutal and a bit silly - even for Rambo standards. Still it provided some entertainment value, and Amazon are renting it out for cheap so little money lost.

4/10
  • anephric 9 Feb 2020 17:19:21 4,330 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Cronenberg has always struggled with funding and didn't really have a big hit other than The Fly, which was a bit of a fluke. He got offered big Hollywood vehicles in the 80s but wasn't interested, although he was pretty involved with Total Recall for quite a while (that would've been pretty fruity).

So, basically, it's not by choice that he didn't make moar filmz, no-one was interested in funding them. The main reason his early stuff got made was because of hefty Canadian tax breaks.

Edited by anephric at 17:57:15 09-02-2020
  • Dougs 9 Feb 2020 17:37:46 95,318 posts
    Seen 16 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    1917. 8/10. That was definitely an experience. Can't say I enjoyed it, more endured. Very tense, and the outcome just showed the futility of war.
  • beastmaster 9 Feb 2020 17:41:34 21,196 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    Cronenberg has always struggled with funding and didn't really have a big hit other than The Fly, which was a bit of a fluke. He got offered big Hollywood vehicles in the 80s but wasn't interested, although he was pretty involved with Total Recall for quite a while (that would've been pretty fruity).

So, basically, it's not by choice that he didn't make moar filmz, no-one was interested in finding them. The main reason his early stuff got made was because of hefty Canadian tax breaks.
    I think at one point he was involved (or at least in talks) to do Basic Instinct 2. He left over creative differences. That would have been interesting.
  • StixxUK 9 Feb 2020 17:57:57 8,358 posts
    Seen 4 minutes ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Just watched The Villainess on Netflix

Great action film, that becomes an intriguing mystery. Really it's all about the incredible action sequences - lots of films have tried to put you there in the thick of it, but this is the first one where it's really succeeded for me.

85/100
  • bone-on 9 Feb 2020 18:41:09 560 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Rambo Last Blood

Not as bad as I'd heard, or feared, but still far from great. It's unnecessarily brutal and a bit silly - even for Rambo standards. Still it provided some entertainment value, and Amazon are renting it out for cheap so little money lost.

4/10
    A completely bizarre film almost like 2 films spliced together takes ages to get going and the action when it arrives is naff and over in 5-10min.
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Feb 2020 05:28:15 10,545 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    How the fuck did the Irishman get Oscar noms for best editing and visual effects? Both things which imo held the movie back (too long and THAT scene).

Anyway, worthy winners in pretty much every category, surprised the kid who played Jojo wasn't up for best actor, and Margot was perhaps unlucky
  • Saul_Iscariot 10 Feb 2020 05:33:33 3,787 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @beastmaster Mark Kermode enjoyed the cinematic style of BoP. He said it was suitably anarchic, which was thematically spot on. He quite enjoyed it overall despite going in with several reservations.
  • Mola_Ram 10 Feb 2020 07:41:40 24,349 posts
    Seen 20 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Oh wow, Parasite actually won Best Picture. Didn't think that would happen!
  • Gruff 10 Feb 2020 07:53:57 3,630 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Can't possibly live up to the hype but best film I saw last year, best directed as well for me, and its not close.

Edited by Gruff at 07:54:32 10-02-2020
  • You-can-call-me-kal 10 Feb 2020 07:57:03 20,599 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Cronenberg has put out a pretty steady stream of films over the years, all of them interesting and unique in their own way. History of Violence even got some Oscar noms (realise thatís going back 15 years but still). They might have got a bit artsy recently for his old school fans but heís definitely stayed in the game more so than a lot of his peers like Carpenter etc.
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Feb 2020 08:03:47 10,545 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    On a related note, I watched Eastern Promises again a few months ago and it was Bravo Two Zero like in its ability to improve on every, err, watch
  • beastmaster 10 Feb 2020 08:40:32 21,196 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Delighted that Parasite won. Still not seen it yet. I agree with people who agree that the Oscars were well deserved this year.
  • fontgeeksogood 10 Feb 2020 08:46:18 10,545 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 2 years ago
    Very few Denzels nominated
  • brokenkey 10 Feb 2020 09:05:18 10,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Little Women 70/100

Fabulous outfits, but unnecessary time-shifting storytelling just added confusion. Watch the 1933 or the 1949 version instead.
    Won the oscar for best costume design last
  • brokenkey 10 Feb 2020 09:08:29 10,571 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    @beastmaster Mark Kermode enjoyed the cinematic style of BoP. He said it was suitably anarchic, which was thematically spot on. He quite enjoyed it overall despite going in with several reservations.
    Yeah, Beastmaster is wrong on this one. It's a good film.
  • monkman76 10 Feb 2020 09:10:03 16,487 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Impossible
  • beastmaster 10 Feb 2020 09:21:05 21,196 posts
    Seen 55 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    I just didnít like it at all. So, Iím totally right. From a certain point of view.
  • sirtacos 10 Feb 2020 09:46:23 8,244 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    I just didnít like it at all. So, Iím totally right. From a certain point of view.
    From my point of view the Jedi are evil
  • Rum_Monkey 10 Feb 2020 10:11:38 1,231 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 8 months ago
    Blackkklansman

I enjoyed it in parts. There's something about the style of the film and the way it was shot I didn't get on with. Think it would have been better for me of it was a bit more serious. Adam drivers character was a bit lacking for me too.

6/10

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.