Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4036

  • Scimarad 10 Feb 2020 10:15:32 9,755 posts
    Seen 14 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I'm going to add myself to the 'really didn't get Booksmart' list. Usually I can see the appeal of a critically acclaimed film even I'm not that fond it myself but this just confused the hell out of me. I'd say I'm far too old and not in the target audience but so are most of the reviewers. I just found everyone to be incredibly loud and obnoxious and apparently the thing they'd missed out on was acting like an idiot. Really deeply mystified about this.
  • Gruff 10 Feb 2020 10:38:38 3,601 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I an old miserable bastard but I quite enjoyed Booksmart, mainly for the relationship the main leads had, definitely had a Superbad vibe though
  • retro74 10 Feb 2020 11:03:58 3,259 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    It's not specifically that I didn't get Booksmart, I just thought it was an average movie. I've read a couple of reviews since I watched it and was surprised to read how people found it fresh and original - I'd really like to know where they are coming from with those comments. It's strange how the movie it gets compared to, Superbad, wasn't universally praised for originality - in fact I remember it being called old-fashioned but fun

    The likes of Pitch Perfect and Mean Girls are much, much better movies than Booksmart and I would wager that normal people (e.g. not paid critics) would agree
  • Zerobob 10 Feb 2020 11:29:03 2,450 posts
    Seen 15 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Lighthouse - 7/10

    A very strange film in every way possible, yet still compelling most of the way through, making it accessible to most people I'd imagine.

    The performances from Willem Dafoe and Robert Pattinson were simply superb. I never once questioned their sincerity and the film simply wouldn't have worked without flawless performances from the leads, given the uniqueness of the characters they portray. I had to laugh out loud at certain parts because of the sheer ridiculousness of their situation.

    The 4:3 aspect ratio initially struck me as pretentious but, coupled with the well framed black & white imagery and deliberate lo-fi sound, it created a unique feel to the film that felt natural.

    The only reason I'm not giving this full marks is because the plot itself was a bit bare bones and uninspired. I admit I'm not a horror fan because nearly all horror films are over-reliant on non-tangible ideas that end up feeling vapid and unsatisfying, and this film is no exception. Strangely, the film does succeed at being a sort of black comedy, which I wasn't expecting.
  • MoGamer2006 10 Feb 2020 13:31:21 1,079 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    It's 1:1.19 not 4:3.

    /pretentious
  • Blakester 10 Feb 2020 13:49:51 5,002 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    In a somewhat prescient move, I managed to sneak out of the house to go watch Parasite yesterday. None of your multiplex nonsense either, a Picturehouse cinema no less.

    I went in completely cold (no trailers, no reviews) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    I would say that the first two acts are easily the strongest, and the climax couldn't quite maintain the standard BUT, it's a rare film that is unique in story, wonderfully shot and with a pitch-perfect cast. Excited to see it again to see what I missed first time around.

    9/10
  • spindle9988 10 Feb 2020 14:04:37 5,133 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    retro74 wrote:
    It's not specifically that I didn't get Booksmart, I just thought it was an average movie. I've read a couple of reviews since I watched it and was surprised to read how people found it fresh and original - I'd really like to know where they are coming from with those comments. It's strange how the movie it gets compared to, Superbad, wasn't universally praised for originality - in fact I remember it being called old-fashioned but fun

    The likes of Pitch Perfect and Mean Girls are much, much better movies than Booksmart and I would wager that normal people (e.g. not paid critics) would agree
    I havenít seen book smart yet but Iím not ashamed to say that mean girls is one of my favourite films.
  • beastmaster 10 Feb 2020 14:36:16 20,933 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I see that the Nicolas Cage film Primal is on streaming services. Thatís tonightís viewing sorted out!
  • drhickman1983 10 Feb 2020 14:38:19 6,867 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    MoGamer2006 wrote:
    It's 1:1.19 not 4:3.

    /pretentious
    A church member, by any chance?
  • spindle9988 10 Feb 2020 14:53:25 5,133 posts
    Seen 2 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    The Apostle

    Micheal sheen can really act. What a brilliant horror that was. Hard to watch in places.
  • TechnoHippy 10 Feb 2020 15:08:21 17,516 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Brave

    Distinctly average Albanian undercover shenanigans. Also suffers from the most pointlessly long end battle with so many deaths I don't think Albania has any police or criminals left to shoot.

    4/10
  • JYM60 10 Feb 2020 15:25:26 18,483 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Birds of Prey: 7.5/10

    Talked about it in the other thread. Not actually a Birds of Prey movie, and honestly the name probably has cost it some box office. Bad marketing! Good fun film though. Harley is great, and some very good action, mixed with some very generic action.

    Midsommar: 5/10

    Very weird, dumb, and too long. Felt like all the weird shit wasn't explained. Though tbh I was falling asleep midway, so stopped it and watched the rest the next day. So maybe I missed it. Characters are all shit heads pretty much, and idiots. If your friends were all missing I reckon you'd either look for them, or get the fuck outta there, or drink some more LSD tea I guess.
    I remember people raving about how awful and hard to watch this was, but aside from some heads being smashed and a very weird sex scene, it is just kooky weirdness for 2 hours 30.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 10 Feb 2020 15:45:31 2,930 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Blakester wrote:
    In a somewhat prescient move, I managed to sneak out of the house to go watch Parasite yesterday. None of your multiplex nonsense either, a Picturehouse cinema no less.

    I went in completely cold (no trailers, no reviews) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    I would say that the first two acts are easily the strongest, and the climax couldn't quite maintain the standard BUT, it's a rare film that is unique in story, wonderfully shot and with a pitch-perfect cast. Excited to see it again to see what I missed first time around.

    9/10
    The review on bbc made a great point that this is the kind of story that gets dragged over 10 episodes on Netflix. Agree that the opening is the strongest - wife sat down with me just as the second act was going to read and she couldnít stop watching it, I watched the rest in a different room as she has to see how that act got to were it is :D
  • Kay 10 Feb 2020 16:31:21 20,631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Parasite is great, bit surprised by it winning the best picture Oscar though (not that it doesn't deserve it). And I find it odd that it was nominated and won in the best international film category as well, surely that's cheating?
  • Blakester 10 Feb 2020 17:08:23 5,002 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    CrispyXUKTurbo wrote:
    Blakester wrote:
    In a somewhat prescient move, I managed to sneak out of the house to go watch Parasite yesterday. None of your multiplex nonsense either, a Picturehouse cinema no less.

    I went in completely cold (no trailers, no reviews) and thoroughly enjoyed it.

    I would say that the first two acts are easily the strongest, and the climax couldn't quite maintain the standard BUT, it's a rare film that is unique in story, wonderfully shot and with a pitch-perfect cast. Excited to see it again to see what I missed first time around.

    9/10
    The review on bbc made a great point that this is the kind of story that gets dragged over 10 episodes on Netflix. Agree that the opening is the strongest - wife sat down with me just as the second act was going to read and she couldnít stop watching it, I watched the rest in a different room as she has to see how that act got to were it is :D
    I wouldn't recommend reading that review before seeing the film though - completely spoils the opening act.
  • beastmaster 10 Feb 2020 19:19:20 20,933 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    London Fields - 1.5/10 or 10/10 for Jim Sturgess

    Amber Heard abuses and gets abused by her three lovers in an almighty mess of an attempt at a modern film noir. This film kicked up an almighty fuss as the director supposedly hired a porn star body double for Heard and turn this into one almighty fuck-fest. This film is a fuck-fest alright but not for that reason. Heard and others did everything they could to stop this film from being released. I think it was more to do with the quality of the film which is beyond terrible.

    The directors cut of the film is out there somewhere but this isn't the one on Netflix. For some bizarre reason the plot revolves around the word of darts. Sorry, no matter which way you try and rock 'n' roll it, I think darts is fucking shit. Anyhow...

    Johnny Depp is in this film doing his best to chew up the scenery. However, he is delightfully put to shame and made to look like an amateur by Jim Sturgess. He now only chews the scenery but all the other actors and the sets too. It's an utterly ridiculous OTT performance that I loved. It was worth sitting through this just for that.
  • David_Richardson 10 Feb 2020 19:26:46 1,304 posts
    Seen 4 weeks ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    I see that the Nicolas Cage film Primal is on streaming services. Thatís tonightís viewing sorted out!
    Keep a cushion handy for when Famke Janssenís face first appears on screen.

    Edited by David_Richardson at 19:27:08 10-02-2020
  • cov 10 Feb 2020 20:07:47 2,271 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Seconded its a tragedy :(
  • Tomo 10 Feb 2020 20:46:09 17,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Parasite - 9/10

    Like five movies in one. Manages to flick between disparate genres yet retains its own sense of style. Very impressive. Loved it.
  • Tomo 10 Feb 2020 20:49:20 17,823 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @Zerobob

    Agree with you on Lighthouse. It just doesn't quite work. It's not scary. There's not really enough information offered about what's going on to form a coherent understanding. Lots of vague possibilities, but I found them all a bit too obtuse and lost interest a bit tbh.
  • Baihu1983 10 Feb 2020 21:03:00 12,460 posts
    Seen 16 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Birds of Prey

    8/10

    Really picks up after the flashbacks and some really good action scenes. Comedy hit and miss
    McGregor steals it
  • sirtacos 10 Feb 2020 21:12:34 8,244 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JYM60 wrote:
    Midsommar: 5/10

    Very weird, dumb, and too long. Felt like all the weird shit wasn't explained. Though tbh I was falling asleep midway, so stopped it and watched the rest the next day. So maybe I missed it. Characters are all shit heads pretty much, and idiots. If your friends were all missing I reckon you'd either look for them, or get the fuck outta there, or drink some more LSD tea I guess.
    I remember people raving about how awful and hard to watch this was, but aside from some heads being smashed and a very weird sex scene, it is just kooky weirdness for 2 hours 30.
    Fucking fight me IRL

    Actually I don't disagree with anything you said. It is a bit too long and the pace flags a bit in the middle.

    I still think it's basically a masterpiece though.
  • beastmaster 10 Feb 2020 21:30:14 20,933 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    David_Richardson wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    I see that the Nicolas Cage film Primal is on streaming services. Thatís tonightís viewing sorted out!
    Keep a cushion handy for when Famke Janssenís face first appears on screen.
    Jesus!!!!!
  • JamboWayOh 10 Feb 2020 21:34:09 20,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    David_Richardson wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    I see that the Nicolas Cage film Primal is on streaming services. Thatís tonightís viewing sorted out!
    Keep a cushion handy for when Famke Janssenís face first appears on screen.
    Jesus!!!!!
    Fuck me, what did she do? WHAT DID SHE DO??
  • sirtacos 10 Feb 2020 21:46:30 8,244 posts
    Seen 1 week ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    David_Richardson wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    I see that the Nicolas Cage film Primal is on streaming services. Thatís tonightís viewing sorted out!
    Keep a cushion handy for when Famke Janssenís face first appears on screen.
    Jesus!!!!!
    Fuck me, what did she do? WHAT DID SHE DO??
    She used to be so beautiful :(

    The ravages of age would have been far kinder to her face than those fillers. Yikes.
  • beastmaster 10 Feb 2020 21:58:30 20,933 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    JamboWayOh wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    David_Richardson wrote:
    beastmaster wrote:
    I see that the Nicolas Cage film Primal is on streaming services. Thatís tonightís viewing sorted out!
    Keep a cushion handy for when Famke Janssenís face first appears on screen.
    Jesus!!!!!
    Fuck me, what did she do? WHAT DID SHE DO??
    She used to be so beautiful :(

    The ravages of age would have been far kinder to her face than those fillers. Yikes.
    She just couldnít stay Onatopp of things!
  • JamboWayOh 10 Feb 2020 22:06:22 20,053 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Get out.
  • Deleted user 10 February 2020 23:45:50
    Just watched Joker on Blu-ray. Wow. 10/10.
Log in or register to reply

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.