Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4037

• Tomo 11 Feb 2020 00:22:11 17,241 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @sirtacos

Also think it's a masterpiece. My favourite horror film of the last 10 years at least, I think. Constant cranking of weirdness and tension. It just doesn't let up. So good.
  • Saul_Iscariot 11 Feb 2020 00:52:44 3,360 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Saul_Iscariot wrote:
    @beastmaster Mark Kermode enjoyed the cinematic style of BoP. He said it was suitably anarchic, which was thematically spot on. He quite enjoyed it overall despite going in with several reservations.
    Yeah, Beastmaster is wrong on this one. It's a good film.
    I just didnít like it at all. So, Iím totally right. From a certain point of view.
    I wasnít trying to say you were wrong, please forgive me if that is how it came across. I was just saying that Kermode inferred that they way it was shot was a choice to convey a tone that he thought worked. You saying that it didnít work for you is a different take on that. I was wondering if you felt it was lacking in its execution or if you didnít feel it was appropriate to the film?
  • RawShark 11 Feb 2020 01:26:56 1,068 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Iím not going to watch Birds of Prey because Suicide Squad was SOOO BAD it must have passed on a CTI. (Cinematically Transmitted Infection).
  • ChiefGB 11 Feb 2020 06:35:42 11,921 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    I see theyíve changed the promotion title of the film to ďHarley Quinn: Birds of PreyĒ presumably as itís not performing as expected.

Whatís it slacking at?
  • smoothpete 11 Feb 2020 07:32:34 36,429 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Weíre seeing it tonight, Iím looking forward to it. Harley was the only decent thing in Suicide Squad
  • Dougs 11 Feb 2020 07:52:55 92,086 posts
    Seen 27 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Yup.
  • creepiest-lizard 11 Feb 2020 08:13:00 1,002 posts
    Seen 41 minutes ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    I think I'd rather watch my own autopsy than Birds of prey.
  • Baihu1983 11 Feb 2020 08:43:24 11,932 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Should use the Japanese name...

Harley Quinn's Splendorous Awakening: Birds of Prey
  • jimnastics 11 Feb 2020 09:22:51 1,682 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    I'm not a comic book person at all and have little idea of who Harley Quinn is, but I'm always happy to go an watch these kind of films if they look decent. But even from the trailer, the Harley Quinn character annoyed the hell out of me... I think this is a big problem for the movie, it's probably only drawing in comic book / Harley Quinn fans and not casuals.
  • spindle9988 11 Feb 2020 09:38:40 5,091 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    jimnastics wrote:
    I'm not a comic book person at all and have little idea of who Harley Quinn is, but I'm always happy to go an watch these kind of films if they look decent. But even from the trailer, the Harley Quinn character annoyed the hell out of me... I think this is a big problem for the movie, it's probably only drawing in comic book / Harley Quinn fans and not casuals.

Harley Quinn is fantastic character and was actually introduced the early 90ís batman animated series. (Which is the absolute bollocks). I hated suicide squad but Iím gonna go and see this tonight, as at least Leto isnít in it ruining my favourite character.
  • ChiefGB 11 Feb 2020 10:10:26 11,921 posts
    Seen 24 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Baihu1983 wrote:
    Should use the Japanese name...

Harley Quinn's Splendorous Opening: Birds of Prey
    Or the Dutch one
  • Baihu1983 11 Feb 2020 11:30:33 11,932 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Could see them releasing a lower rated version to get the teens like Deadpool 2 did
  • TechnoHippy 11 Feb 2020 12:45:24 16,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Venom

I do like Tom Hardy and he pretty much carries this. There's a reasonable blend of humour, action and drama. The weak link for me was when the creatures were in full beast mode, it just didn't quite gel and some of the animation stood out as weird. The hybrid section were better. Still a fun watch overall though.

6/10
  • beastmaster 11 Feb 2020 13:23:12 19,780 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Titles mean a lot. Maybe people thought it was a nature documentary. A guy who works at our local Cineworld thought The Rhythm Section was something like Whiplash.
  • Rhaegyr 11 Feb 2020 14:12:59 4,932 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    John Wick 3

One of the daftest films I've seen in a while and not in a good way. Liked the original, thought the sequel was okay but this seemed absolutely ridiculous with regards to plot, dialogue, characters and consistency even for a John Wick film.

I don't know where to start so I won't. Even the action sequences were a bit shit (Keanu moves like his body is struggling to keep up).

3/10
  • monkman76 11 Feb 2020 14:14:54 15,711 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    beastmaster wrote:
    Titles mean a lot. Maybe people thought it was a nature documentary.
    Venom?
  • TechnoHippy 11 Feb 2020 18:49:52 16,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Apostle

It takes a while to get going, but does build a sinister atmosphere. There's a decent story and it does get quite brutal in places.

7/10
  • kentmonkey 11 Feb 2020 21:09:55 23,325 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Rhaegyr yay. Almost word for word how I reviewed it a month ago.

Can we form a club? Everyone else seems to think it's good! o_O

My favourite fight scene was in the corridor, when Keanu is blocking before his opponent has even started to move. He's so fucking amazing, he knows telepathically where they're going to strike him.
  • kentmonkey 11 Feb 2020 21:11:04 23,325 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Booksmart

Well, I thought that was great.

Brilliant chemistry between the two main characters, some genuinely funny moments, brilliant soundtrack and interesting side characters.

I'm nowhere near the target audience but really enjoyed it.

• JYM60 11 Feb 2020 21:39:38 18,180 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    JYM60 wrote:
    Midsommar: 5/10

Very weird, dumb, and too long. Felt like all the weird shit wasn't explained. Though tbh I was falling asleep midway, so stopped it and watched the rest the next day. So maybe I missed it. Characters are all shit heads pretty much, and idiots. If your friends were all missing I reckon you'd either look for them, or get the fuck outta there, or drink some more LSD tea I guess.
    I remember people raving about how awful and hard to watch this was, but aside from some heads being smashed and a very weird sex scene, it is just kooky weirdness for 2 hours 30.
    Fucking fight me IRL

Actually I don't disagree with anything you said. It is a bit too long and the pace flags a bit in the middle.

I still think it's basically a masterpiece though.
    Ha maybe it is just me. I didn't understand all the praise for Hereditary either! Though it was far better than this.

I didn't really feel the tension in Midsommar because all the characters were all absolute pieces of shit. It was pretty gutting that most of their deaths were off screen. Not sure how that was even possible in a 2 hour 30 minute film. Not sure if it was so you still thought they were alive? You'd have to be pretty stupid then though.

Edited by JYM60 at 21:42:03 11-02-2020
  • smoothpete 11 Feb 2020 21:44:03 36,429 posts
    Seen 36 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Harley Quinn film - 7.8/10

I enjoyed it, itís silly and brash, colourful, ultimately pointless but good fun. Mostly silly.
  • Murbs 11 Feb 2020 21:49:49 24,597 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    kentmonkey wrote:
    Booksmart

Well, I thought that was great.

Brilliant chemistry between the two main characters, some genuinely funny moments, brilliant soundtrack and interesting side characters.

I'm nowhere near the target audience but really enjoyed it.

We all seemed to have loved it here, so I wonder - what *is* the target audience?
  • kentmonkey 11 Feb 2020 22:27:09 23,325 posts
    Seen 49 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    That's true.

There have been some in here that have bounced off it but mostly it's been well received.
  • Zerobob 12 Feb 2020 09:32:07 2,326 posts
    Seen 54 minutes ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Parasite - 8/10

First half... Loved it. Second half... Descended into a farce.

I almost want to give the film a higher score based on the first half alone. It was lean, wasted no time setting events up, the characters were immediately likeable. Then, when I realised what the family's plan was, it made me quite giddy to see how it'd play out. Brilliant stuff.

Then I felt the film went one step too far. And then another. And another. It was as if someone stepped in with no confidence in or respect for the recipe of the film, and drenched it in tomato ketchup.

However, this never stopped it from being entertaining, which is surely every film's ultimate goal, so it probably deserves the praise it's received of late, and I would recommend.
  • Bichii 12 Feb 2020 11:49:07 2,377 posts
    Seen 7 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Aladdin 2019

Pretty good fun but compared to the other Disney remakes it's arguably the worst.
    Not a huge fan of the main two actors cast to play the leading roles. The added songs were pretty average and jarring.
    Kids loved it though.

6/10
  • Rhaegyr 12 Feb 2020 12:22:31 4,932 posts
    Seen 1 day ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    @kentmonkey

The fight where he beat the guy's from the Raid films was the tip of the shitty iceberg for me. They danced on the spot for a second or two before remembering what the next sequence was supposed to be.
  • richarddavies 12 Feb 2020 12:28:56 7,104 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @kentmonkey

The fight where he beat the guy's from the Raid films was the tip of the shitty iceberg for me. They danced on the spot for a second or two before remembering what the next sequence was supposed to be.
    I love, and I mean LOVED the first one. Can watch the second one, but the third just made me a bit sad. Its literally void of plot. It's just 2 hours of him just shooting everyone he meets in the face. I just got bored watching him shooting everybody. Shame really, I hope they get the story/action balance right in 4.
  • freddymercurystwin 12 Feb 2020 13:01:53 1,867 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Rhaegyr wrote:
    @kentmonkey

I love, and I mean LOVED the first one. Can watch the second one, but the third just made me a bit sad. Its literally void of plot. It's just 2 hours of him just shooting everyone he meets in the face. I just got bored watching him shooting everybody. Shame really, I hope they get the story/action balance right in 4.
    Now this sounds like another film I might have to watch when I never ever actually had any intention to.
  • Murbs 12 Feb 2020 13:24:15 24,597 posts
    Seen 40 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    @Bichii the worst? I'm assuming you haven't seen Dumbo?

Personally, I think the Mulan remake looks awesome - can't wait for that.
  • TechnoHippy 12 Feb 2020 14:16:44 16,021 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    I haven't forgiven them for The Jungle Book remake - they not only ruined the film, but the songs too :-(

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.