Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4058

• brokenkey 16 Mar 2020 22:40:14 10,418 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Onward. 6.5/10.

It's ok, not very funny and a bit obvious. Was expecting a weekend at Bernie's laugh riot, and it's not.

Had the cinema to myself though.
  • KnuttinAtoll 16 Mar 2020 23:22:33 7,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    The Invitation

Couple gets invited to a dinner party hosted by his ex.

I went in blind and am glad I did. Solid all round, very slow build-up but imo it worked. And that final scene... Oof.

8/10
  • QBX 17 Mar 2020 12:18:56 143 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 10 years ago
    Peeping Tom (1960)

Voyeur likes to film peoples dying expressions so gets a bit stabby.

What makes this interesting is that where Hitchcock would have success with Psycho a few months later, director Michael Powells career would take a hit because of it's content.

The film get's off to a good start opening in the first person putting you in place of the killer and drawing you into this lurid world but it's an effect that isn't used enough. It does a good job of building the character of the killer and deals with themes such as child abuse.

Overall my expectations were maybe a bit too high given it's history.

6/10
  • robthehermit 17 Mar 2020 12:20:03 7,653 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Brightburn 6/10

Dissapointed.
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 17 Mar 2020 14:46:00 2,746 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @KnuttinAtoll oh this is great, Iíd recommend it to anyone - felt quite similar in ways to coherence which is also worth a watch
  • smoothpete 17 Mar 2020 15:14:59 36,580 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    Kevin Smith tells the story about how he was working on Superman and the producer really wanted a giant spider in it.

Same producer ended up on Wicky Wah Wah...
    That's a really funny story, I'd recommend people search it out on youtube. I rate Kevin Smith as a public speaker, very amusing and engaging. His description of making a film for Prince is great
  • KnuttinAtoll 17 Mar 2020 15:33:36 7,818 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    @CrispyXUKTurbo very true. Similar vibe.
  • JamboWayOh 17 Mar 2020 16:22:34 17,785 posts
    Seen 45 seconds ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    anephric wrote:
    What's the more intriguing story, and obvs only in Hollyweird, is how hairdresser Jon Peters managed to become a hugely successful producer when he hasn't got a fucking clue about anything, but then as William Goldman said, no-one fucking knows anything.
    It was obviously in this case 'the Streisand Effect'.
  • JoeBlade 17 Mar 2020 17:06:32 4,690 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Great. Now I have that Ducksauce song stuck in my head again.
  • brokenkey 17 Mar 2020 21:45:14 10,418 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    The Hunt. 75/100

It's quite short, listed as 110 minutes but it's only 90 including credits.

Consequently, it ticks along quite fast, there's no padding, and the story is entertaining. Lots of violence, blood,with a dark humour to it.
  • askew 17 Mar 2020 22:40:27 21,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    I was trying to remember just when Mads went postal in the film
  • JamesUK 18 Mar 2020 00:59:11 809 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    When he had troubles with his Fanny. Mads loves Fanny.
  • TechnoHippy 18 Mar 2020 16:22:57 16,311 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Chaos

A fairly dull heist thriller with Wesley Snipes and Statham, and considering it had those two in it the action was also lacking. The story just about did enough to keep me watching, but average overall. Statham's American accent is quite poor.

5/10
  • Malek86 19 Mar 2020 13:16:51 9,713 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    Murder on the Orient Express (2017)

I suppose it's not easy to make a crime movie when every possible viewer knows how it ends already. So I suppose it was more about the direction, acting, and all the small additions. And on that regard, it delivered well enough, I guess. Not so sure about the slightly action-oriented and energetic Poirot, but overall the cast was good.

7/10

Edited by Malek86 at 13:18:49 19-03-2020
  • Rum_Monkey 19 Mar 2020 13:50:47 353 posts
    Seen 14 minutes ago
    Registered 2 months ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Chaos

A fairly dull heist thriller with Wesley Snipes and Statham, and considering it had those two in it the action was also lacking. The story just about did enough to keep me watching, but average overall. Statham's American accent is quite poor.

5/10
    Not sure who has the worst American accent out of statham and Gerrard Butler.
  • robthehermit 19 Mar 2020 15:13:07 7,653 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    We watched Chaos the other day, it's shit. Mrs Hermit will watch pretty much anything with JS in it but this was another whole level of shite. It started going wrong when they decided to have JS try and act his way through a story instead of just looking manly and punching people in the face.
  • beastmaster 20 Mar 2020 20:21:55 19,979 posts
    Seen 8 minutes ago
    Registered 15 years ago
    Gone back to physical media for now. all these are based on the 4K HDR releases. Keeping it as brief as I can as I've seen a few. Save the larger reviews for any newer stuff. A couple of 10s in there but they are some of my favourite films.

Shadow - 8.5/10

Terrific Chinese film from the makers ofHero and House of Flying Daggers. This goes against the previous films bright and colourful pallet and goes for black and white look with the odd splash of colour.

Watched the 4K HDR Blu-ray off a recommendation and it's truly a delight to look at. However, it's the story and characters that really made this film stand out for me.

This is one of those films which the less you know going into it the better. The fight scenes are magnificently staged even though there are not too many. It's the story that counts and the epic fight scenes have a proper meaning and weight to them.

It's also on Netflix and I think it's well worth a watch.

Tomb Raider (2018) - 6/10

It's fine. I think Alicia Vikander makes for a great Lara Croft. Amazed it got a sequel. Even more amazed that Ben Wheatley is directing it. One of the best 4K discs out there. Picture quality is stunning.

Predator - 10/10

Classic Arnie and arguably his best film. The great news is that they've not fucked up the physical 4K disc with too much DNR in this print.

Batman (1989) - 8/10

I spent years hating Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker. Now I think it's amazing. The script does give him all the best lines.

Batman Returns - 8.5/10

For me, this is one of the best comic book adaptation out there. They just gave Tim Burton the money and let him do what he wanted. Throwing babies into the sewage, killing off first-born children, some very violent scenes, an incredibly dark tone and probably the best versions of Penguin and Catwoman we're going to get. The Tim Burton films are both 15 certificates so there's none of this 12A nonsense in there. Good.

Unforgiven - 10/10

Not seen this for absolutely ages. What's not to like about this? Everyone involved is utterly top of their game. It looks as sounds beautiful and everyone is on amazing form. It won four Oscars. Best Picture and Best Director for Clint Eastwood, Best Supporting Actor for Gene Hackman, and Best Film Editing for editor Joel Cox.

Back in the day when the Oscars actually meant something?

Edited by beastmaster at 20:23:00 20-03-2020
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 21 Mar 2020 03:21:41 2,746 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Predator - 10/10

Classic Arnie and arguably his best film. The great news is that they've not fucked up the physical 4K disc with too much DNR in this print.

Batman (1989) - 8/10

I spent years hating Nicholson's portrayal of the Joker. Now I think it's amazing. The script does give him all the best lines.

Batman Returns - 8.5/10

For me, this is one of the best comic book adaptation out there. They just gave Tim Burton the money and let him do what he wanted. Throwing babies into the sewage, killing off first-born children, some very violent scenes, an incredibly dark tone and probably the best versions of Penguin and Catwoman we're going to get. The Tim Burton films are both 15 certificates so there's none of this 12A nonsense in there. Good.

Back in the day when the Oscars actually meant something?
    . Well they were 12 certs in cinema, great to see love for a feature, as much as Nolanís batman films are great - Iíd rewatch returns and 89 any day.

The doc about returns Gotham set is fantastic
  • Dougs 21 Mar 2020 07:25:07 92,762 posts
    Seen 26 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    brokenkey wrote:
    Onward. 6.5/10.

It's ok, not very funny and a bit obvious. Was expecting a weekend at Bernie's laugh riot, and it's not.

Apparently Disney are pushing this out to Disney+ in a few weeks, figuring they might get some extra subs now cinemas are closed.
  • JoelStinty 21 Mar 2020 07:46:56 8,630 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Aeronauts

3/4 of a pretty entertaining and engaging film, then loses gas for the last quarter where it becomes a bit melodramatic and twee.

Which is a shame as there some good stuff here. Starts of strongly as Eddie Redmayne hires Felcitiy Jones to pilot a hot air ballon so he can study the weather. It harks back to old fashioned adventure films and it really captures the essence of the unknown and scientific exploration which really grabbed my attention. I just donít think the film knew how to handle the emotion weight of the film; its a bit naff despite Jones trying her best with it.

3.5/5
  • TechnoHippy 21 Mar 2020 12:00:46 16,311 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Rum_Monkey wrote:
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    Chaos

5/10
    Not sure who has the worst American accent out of statham and Gerrard Butler.
    Sean Bean's is quite special as well.
  • brokenkey 21 Mar 2020 12:47:27 10,418 posts
    Seen 4 seconds ago
    Registered 18 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Onward. 6.5/10.

Apparently Disney are pushing this out to Disney+ in a few weeks, figuring they might get some extra subs now cinemas are closed.
    indeed, its on the usual Arrrr sources today.
  • viviangoh99 21 Mar 2020 14:29:30 1 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 2 weeks ago
    yes, i love it thank you so much osg777
    Dan tangkasnet
  • TommyUnderwear 21 Mar 2020 14:40:36 287 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Uncut Gems. 7/10. It was ok, good but not great. Took 2 attempts for me to finish. I liked the ending but I felt it kinda dragged in the middle.
  • TechnoHippy 21 Mar 2020 16:26:42 16,311 posts
    Seen 2 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Altered Carbon Resleeved

Not quite as good as the series, and a bit shouty in places, but the anime style does work for the over the top violence. The story is interesting enough and I enjoy the world it's set in. There's some mental fights as well.

7/10
  • askew 21 Mar 2020 19:20:51 21,009 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Dougs wrote:
    brokenkey wrote:
    Onward. 6.5/10.

Hmm! I see films like the Invisible Man are available to rent right now, for £15.
  • Iwasexclusive 21 Mar 2020 21:53:19 91 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Close (2019)

A white female bodyguard protects a white female rich spoilt brat by killing loads of corrupt bad brown/black people in Morocco.

There are many scenes with females in the bathroom, lead female lights cigarettes in every other scene, as if it's some show of looking cool, men get shot either in the bum or through the bum, and crap slow motion ending.

It's good to know female directors can make shit films just like their male counterparts.

Moral of story: when brown/black people kill white people in their own countries, it's terrorism. When white people kill brown/black people in their own countries, it's heroism.

1 mark for some nice shots and 2 for location Morocco.

3/10

Edited by Iwasexclusive at 22:07:25 21-03-2020
  • richarddavies 21 Mar 2020 22:00:48 7,332 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Once upon a time in hollywood

Not sure how to score it really. I think I liked it but I cant even begin to think what the hell he put into the 2 hours and 40 minute runtime as the story in it is basically non existent. Well acted though throughout I guess?

Not sure/100
  • Iwasexclusive 21 Mar 2020 22:06:06 91 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Talking of long films, there was a time when producers interfering with the director's vision was frowned upon. Having seen the almost 3 hours long IT Chapter 2, I wish producers would intervene. This was a perfectly watchable film that dragged on for 40 minutes too long. Keep it short and save money.

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.