Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4059

• retro74 21 Mar 2020 22:42:07 3,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    I watched something called The Art of Self Defence this week

Very strange little composition it was too. I assume thatís it a commentary on toxic masculinity but it didnít really say anything about it either way

The best bit was reading reviews on imdb from karate fans furiously calling for it to be banned as it didnít represent real karate people

4 out of 10
  • dominalien 21 Mar 2020 22:49:26 9,597 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    How about sometimes the producers should intervene and sometimes they really shouldn't.
  • dominalien 21 Mar 2020 22:50:22 9,597 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Clearly not @retro that was.
  • retro74 21 Mar 2020 23:02:21 3,224 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    @dominalien thatís fine, Iíll take it
  • Load_2.0 22 Mar 2020 08:20:54 31,627 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Beats. 9/10.

Two Scottish mates end up at a rave in 1994. I thought it was brilliant. Its tricky really to summarise, it's primarily about their friendship but captures the political and sociological changes going on in the 90's without being heavy handed or preachy.

In Black and White.
  • RGeefe 22 Mar 2020 09:10:54 981 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    richarddavies wrote:
    Once upon a time in hollywood

Not sure how to score it really. I think I liked it but I cant even begin to think what the hell he put into the 2 hours and 40 minute runtime as the story in it is basically non existent. Well acted though throughout I guess?

Not sure/100
    See I really liked it. It was very different for him. No gangsters. Violence played for laughs. Very much a mood piece fairy tale. If that's the last film he makes then it's a very fine send off. I'd put it above Kill Bills, Django, Hateful Eight and Death Proof. Maybe on par with Inglorious.
  • richarddavies 22 Mar 2020 09:17:40 7,665 posts
    Seen 13 minutes ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Mood piece is a very good way to describe it. I've slept on it and I suppose for a character piece though I just felt I knew fuck all about the characters by the end. You know Rick's an actor chasing glory and Cliff is Brad Pitt. You never really learn anymore. And again, in near 3 hours it's quite amazing. You cant really say it's an assemble piece either as the rest of the cast is even more paper thin.

What makes it even weirder is, I dont think it has a story and the characters are paper thin but I still think I enjoyed it? Power of Leonardo being ace in it i suppose.
  • Dougs 22 Mar 2020 09:20:19 94,076 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I loved it. That it has little to no story didn't bother me. It was about a place and time, with a couple of great characters.
  • Tomo 22 Mar 2020 10:04:22 17,697 posts
    Seen 48 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I didn't like it sadly. I actually found Cliff and Rick quite dull and too similar and it became a slog to maintain interest through the relatively languid dialogue compared to his usual scriptwriting.
  • brokenkey 22 Mar 2020 10:29:04 10,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Contagion (2011) 50/100.

Bit too close to home, don't know what I was thinking. Wife had nightmares last night off the back of it. I'm getting a gun.
  • RawShark 22 Mar 2020 12:29:10 1,188 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    The Invisible Man

Paid cinema prices to watch this at home. After a really strong first half which builds of an impending sense of dread, things get very silly. In this film more than any other, some threats work better when theyíre left unseen.

Also, and I feel mean by saying this, Iím not sure why anyone would get so obsessed with Elizabeth Moss. If I were had invisible powers Iíd use it to skip the lines at Alton Towers.

5/10
  • freddymercurystwin 22 Mar 2020 12:35:15 2,125 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    @RawShark yes she said it herself in the film, why did he choose her above others to obsess over when he could have anyone, she seemed a peculiar choice for the role.
  • RGeefe 22 Mar 2020 12:36:01 981 posts
    Seen 58 seconds ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RawShark wrote:
    The Invisible Man

Paid cinema prices to watch this at home. After a really strong first half which builds of an impending sense of dread, things get very silly. In this film more than any other, some threats work better when theyíre left unseen.

Also, and I feel mean by saying this, Iím not sure why anyone would get so obsessed with Elizabeth Moss. If I were had invisible powers Iíd use it to skip the lines at Alton Towers.

5/10
    All cinemas in Manchester charge £5/6 entry. Even including transport costs it's still more expensive to rent it. Doubt they'll get many takers.
  • brokenkey 22 Mar 2020 13:25:57 10,496 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    RawShark wrote:
    The Invisible Man

5/10
    All cinemas in Manchester charge £5/6 entry. Even including transport costs it's still more expensive to rent it. Doubt they'll get many takers.
    Yeah, but if you get a few mates round to watch it - say 10, and charge them a couple of quid each, you'll be in profit. Have a nice communal bowl of popcorn, everyone's a winner (of covid19)
  • TechnoHippy 22 Mar 2020 15:35:14 17,309 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Platform

An interesting film on Netflix. It works as a reflection of some of what's happening at the moment, it gets quite grim, but overall a decent watch.

7/10
  • RawShark 22 Mar 2020 16:33:13 1,188 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    RGeefe wrote:
    RawShark wrote:
    The Invisible Man

5/10
    Welcome to London, baby. £16 for two tickets would be cheap here.
  • Mola_Ram 23 Mar 2020 12:10:55 23,696 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Under the Silver Lake

That was pretty cool! Equally as silly as something like Neon Demon, but much more aware of it and less inclined to take itself too seriously. And it has a great cast of character actors who all look like they're having heaps of fun - particularly Patrick Fischler, who I will never get tired of seeing in things. It even has McPoyle in it!

Fucked if I knew what was going on with the plot, but the inscrutability and obsession with small details seemed like it was largely the whole point.

Good stuff.

8/10
  • ChaosFox 23 Mar 2020 13:00:50 17 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai Across the 8th Dimension

It has an alien who cannot decide if his name is John Bigbooty or John Bigbootť in it.

8th/10
  • JYM60 23 Mar 2020 13:53:44 18,437 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Contagion

Stacked cast, very boring movie. This disease is scary right now in real life, but I'm not really interested in watching people cough and touch stuff, because that's just rubbish.

4/10

Edited by JYM60 at 13:54:03 23-03-2020
  • JamboWayOh 23 Mar 2020 13:57:32 19,315 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 7 years ago
    Depends on what they're touching.
  • QBX 23 Mar 2020 21:32:05 165 posts
    Seen 46 minutes ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Triple bill:

Guys and Dolls - 6/10

Frank Sinatra and Marlon Brando sing and dance their way to winning a bet for a poker game. I spent most of the film wondering who some of the supporting cast sounded like and the answer was Fat Tony.

Oklahoma! - 4/10

Two cowboys sing and dance their way to getting the girls of their dreams. It manages to go about 3 minutes before another fucking song where Guys and Dolls managed a bit of dialogue. Has possibly one of the most anticlimactic fights ever. Poor show Rogers and Hammerstein.

Easy Rider - 8/10

Peter Fonda and Dennis Hopper travel across America getting even more stoned as they go. Great cast, cinematography and soundtrack and I can see why it's considered a classic but I didn't get it.
  • RawShark 23 Mar 2020 21:41:12 1,188 posts
    Seen 59 minutes ago
    Registered 9 years ago
    Lego Movie 2

Massive fan of the first film. This isnít quite as good but not too far off. More musical than the first, and thatís not a bad thing. It loses something in the strong father/son dynamic the first one had but itís still laugh out loud funny and still works because it knows exactly what makes Lego brilliant in the first place.

Also, raptors.

8/10
  • dominalien 23 Mar 2020 22:54:03 9,597 posts
    Seen 2 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The Platform

An interesting film on Netflix. It works as a reflection of some of what's happening at the moment, it gets quite grim, but overall a decent watch.

7/10
    Just watched this. Itís one of those where thereís no way to conclude it in a satisfying manner, so they just do whatever. Cube managed it quite well, though.

Anyway, despite all that, itís left quite an impression on me so Iíll leave it with an

8/10
  • ChaosFox 24 Mar 2020 00:04:24 17 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Hacksaw Ridge

Typical fawning wankery. Refuses to acknowledge that the real guy that the story is based on is somehow flawed and makes him out to be some kind of eternally selfless superhero.

It's a film of two very uneven halves. The first half is basically dominated by a soapy romance between two actors with zero chemistry between them, interspersed with trite, forced debates about the futility of war. The second half is a basically an hour-long battle that is fairly relentless and extremely gory and most of which the main character spends being oddly absent (thus robbing the film of a deeper examination of its key point).

Andrew Garfield is a good actor but he oddly doesn't seem to be given much to do here except look perpetually clueless in the first half and single-mindedly determined in the second. Hugo Weaving delivers a belter of a performance though.

The boot camp scene with Vince Vaughn clearly drew inspiration from Full Metal Jacket for its comedy, and it turns out to be the most memorable scene in the film, despite being tonally off compared to the rest.

6/10
  • CrispyXUKTurbo 24 Mar 2020 05:07:25 2,896 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    The ninth gate 8/10

I love this film, itís a weird spooky mystery thatís semi parody. Thereís some great folly sounds for the book handling, brilliant soundtrack and an awesome cast.

Not really sure why it reviewed so badly, itís not too far from any of the apartment films in style and structure and is just as unique
  • Dougs 24 Mar 2020 07:56:40 94,076 posts
    Seen 56 minutes ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @ChaosFox by all accounts, they had to tone down his achievements in the film as they didn't think viewers would believe it all. I am sure he was flawed in other ways though
  • Zerobob 24 Mar 2020 09:09:52 2,427 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 11 years ago
    Escape From Pretoria - 9/10

I really enjoyed this. I enjoy a good prison drama and this one largely doesn't disappoint. It's a very compelling story and very well acted by everyone involved. Also it's only 1 hour 40 min, so worth anyone's time I recon.

Criticisms I could level at it are that it's sometimes completely guessable what's going to go wrong in order to create tension. Also some of the logistics of the escape could have been better explained; They worked very hard planning to open their cell doors at night - even though they were unlocked during the day - and in the end they escaped during the day. Obviously it's to do with the amount of guards present at certain times of the day, but I thought this could have used some clarification. A few lines of dialogue would have been enough to clarify aspects of their escape plan. Planning is the bread and butter of this type of film.

Also, it definitely didn't suffer from "Harry Potter Syndrome" ... I didn't once picture Daniel Radcliffe as that bloody wizard.
  • Mola_Ram 24 Mar 2020 09:41:59 23,696 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Ash is Purest White

A Chinese melodrama by Jia Zhang-ke about a gangster's moll who gets sent to prison. She gets out after five years and has to deal with everything having changed around her.

And... that's pretty much it. It's a film about moving on, and social change in China in the early 21st century. The director makes a lot of these kinds of movies, and they're really interesting.

Recommended if you're into this sort of thing (and maybe even if you're not)

9/10
  • Mola_Ram 24 Mar 2020 11:31:56 23,696 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Brotherhood of the Wolf

A French period drama almost 20(!) years old now, about a bunch of people hunting a wolf monster thing that's terrorising the countryside. Notable for two things:

1) Monica Bellucci
    2) A whole bunch of martial arts action, because a young(er) Mark Dacascos is in it for some reason

The second of those is really weird, as this is not otherwise the sort of movie you'd expect to find martial arts in. And it's... ok? The main problem is that nobody aside from Mark Dacascos can really do the martial arts, so you're just left with him beating up on a bunch of random people from time to time.

Anyway, it's an interesting movie. Don't know if it's completely held up over this time, but still worth a

7/10
  • ChaosFox 24 Mar 2020 11:53:40 17 posts
    Seen 1 hour ago
    Registered 4 months ago
    Mola_Ram wrote:
    Brotherhood of the Wolf
    Yeah, I enjoyed this one as well. Helps that Samuel Le Bihan was a decent lead with a lot of on-screen charisma, but the film came in an uncomfortable era of French cinema where they were frequently desperately trying to ape Hollywood with a fraction of the budgets (see also films like Ball & Chain, Brocťliande, Switchblade Romance, Frontiers from that era).

French cinema has since settled down into a more comfortable niche of its own (and decent CG doesn't cost what it used to).

Mola_Ram wrote:
    A whole bunch of martial arts action, because a young(er) Mark Dacascos is in it for some reason
    The director (Christophe Gans) got his big break filming the live-action adaptation of Crying Freeman with Mark Dacascos, of whom Gans is a big fan.

Gans only seems to direct films once in a blue moon for some reason. They were supposed to be pairing up again for an adaptation of Corto Maltese but it's been in limbo for a while since the death of his long-time producer/collaborator Samuel Hadida.

I was actually pleasantly surprised to see Dacascos get his Hollywood moment in John Wick 3 and he made every use of it. He's a pretty good actor, especially so compared to most of the martial artists-cum-thespians out there.

Also, am I weird for finding Emilie Dequenne a much more appealing sight than Bellucci's generously dimensioned mammaries?

Edited by ChaosFox at 11:54:27 24-03-2020

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.