Following Rate the last film you watched out of 100 Page 4060

• Mola_Ram 24 Mar 2020 12:01:16 23,705 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Yeah, I like Dacascos, he's been in a lot of good stuff. And a lot of bad stuff too, tbf (remember the Double Dragon movie?)

It's just that he's a bit wasted here when nobody else can put up a fight. If you're going to have a martial artist in your movie, pony up for more than one of them!
  • Your-Mother 24 Mar 2020 13:26:21 4,294 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    His best role is the chairman on Iron Chef.
  • freddymercurystwin 25 Mar 2020 01:01:12 2,128 posts
    Seen 3 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    Alien Covenant, 3/10 actually not quite as bad as I was expecting. Really rather predictable and dull I thought, stupid too obviously but I guess it captured enough of me to see it out.
  • Mola_Ram 25 Mar 2020 01:23:38 23,705 posts
    Seen 6 minutes ago
    Registered 8 years ago
    Your-Mother wrote:
    His best role is the chairman on Iron Chef.

HAM?!
  • Your-Mother 25 Mar 2020 02:19:24 4,294 posts
    Seen 5 minutes ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    Bloodshot - not brilliant but not as terrible as I was anticipating. Absolutely shocking effects in some places though, the CG body doubles in the final fight are barely better than the Matrix sequels from 15+ years ago.
  • JoelStinty 26 Mar 2020 18:19:04 8,879 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Toy Story 4

Good. I felt that they opened up a decent couple of avenues that they could have gone down that would have made for a more interesting film (woody being a Ďparentí, or what constitutes a toy with forky) before it went down toy Story route 101, but the way they turned the last quarter on its head with its villain was well done and brought the film back up to its strong start as well being a nice concluding finale for woody Definitely brought a wobbly bottom lip and a tear to my eye.

4/5
  • TechnoHippy 27 Mar 2020 20:25:22 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Mouth of Madness

I'm not quite sure how I've never seen this as I love this era of horror films. The creature effects, the lack of gore, the focus on atmosphere rather than overt violence, and the slightly hammy acting are all brilliant. Sam Neil is his usual self and fits nicely. The bloke who plays the writer is also a favourite of mine, but he's underutilised here - which is a shame. The story is a bit predictable, but fun all the same.

8/10
  • creepiest-lizard 27 Mar 2020 20:38:54 1,340 posts
    Seen 22 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    @TechnoHippy
    I love that film. The best Lovecraft adaptation that actually isn't.
    It might be the last good film Carpenter made as well. I can't think of any afterwards.
  • TechnoHippy 27 Mar 2020 21:38:37 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    @creepiest-lizard It definitely has that vibe.
  • sirtacos 27 Mar 2020 22:06:03 8,242 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I loved being transported back in time to a mythical 60s Hollywood that exists as much in our imagination as it did in real life.

Someone on the previous page described the dialogue as "languid", especially for Tarantino. There aren't many tense, witty, electric exchanges and the banter is toned down compared to his other work.

It's indulgent, and probably could use a bit more editing (lots of Brad Pitt driving could have been cut), but I love it just the way it is.

And I certainly wasn't expecting *that*. Tarantino basically takes cinematic revenge for the Manson Family's murders of Sharon Tate & Co., just like he killed alternate history Hitler in Inglorious Basterds. It's hilarious and over the top and caught me completely by surprise.
  • sirtacos 27 Mar 2020 22:14:59 8,242 posts
    Seen 2 weeks ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    Forgot the score: 8 or 8.5 /10

Edited by sirtacos at 03:03:55 28-03-2020
  • Tomo 27 Mar 2020 22:37:09 17,702 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    The Platorm - 9/10

What a wonderful surprise. It was listed as #2 in the UK RIGHT NOW on Netflix. I took a punt and it's bloody great.

It's a high concept sci-fi film which is kinda The Cube meets Snowpiercer. Basically, a load of people in a concrete tower occupy the floors in pairs. There are hundreds of floors. A platform filled with food descends from top to bottom and the food deplenishes as more and more people eat the food. Every month, the inhabitants are switched to a different floor and have to adapt to their circumstances.

It's really interesting and highly entertaining to boot. The finale is quite something too! Go watch.
  • Load_2.0 28 Mar 2020 07:16:17 31,631 posts
    Seen 6 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    sirtacos wrote:
    Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

I loved being transported back in time to a mythical 60s Hollywood that exists as much in our imagination as it did in real life.

Someone on the previous page described the dialogue as "languid", especially for Tarantino. There aren't many tense, witty, electric exchanges and the banter is toned down compared to his other work.

It's indulgent, and probably could use a bit more editing (lots of Brad Pitt driving could have been cut), but I love it just the way it is.

And I certainly wasn't expecting *that*. Tarantino basically takes cinematic revenge for the Manson Family's murders of Sharon Tate & Co., just like he killed alternate history Hitler in Inglorious Basterds. It's hilarious and over the top and caught me completely by surprise.
    I agree, transported back to an era I find fascinating, I loved it. As for the ending, I felt an uneasy tension throughout the film which added to my enjoyment. The payoff was excellent.
  • EMarkM 28 Mar 2020 08:23:33 4,945 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    We got partway through Deadpool last night. Enjoying it so far.
  • TechnoHippy 28 Mar 2020 09:38:28 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    I didn't get on with Deadpool at first, the whole breaking the fourth wall thing put me off, but on a rewatch I loved it.
  • Bichii 28 Mar 2020 12:07:43 3,091 posts
    Seen 5 hours ago
    Registered 3 years ago
    KNIVES OUT.

Just wow. Every scene, character and line is blissful.

100/100.
  • TechnoHippy 28 Mar 2020 14:31:19 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Solo

The young Han Solo wasn't very convincing - Lando a bit more so, but as a Star Wars heist movie it worked quite well. A fun watch.

7/10
  • dominalien 28 Mar 2020 15:39:11 9,598 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Deadpool on Netflix

That wasn't half bad. I gave a miss to many many Marvel movies over the last few years to the point I'm glad to be back. I liked how RR got progressively less disfigured as the film went on. And Morena Baccarin is in this! She used to look better, though I guess this is the Hollywood look she needs to get roles now.

Anyway, Suicide Squad came up in the search result right next to it, so I guess that's what I'm watching now, though I'll probably regret it.

7/10

Edited by dominalien at 15:39:39 28-03-2020
  • JoelStinty 28 Mar 2020 21:27:03 8,879 posts
    Seen 8 hours ago
    Registered 6 years ago
    Bichii wrote:
    KNIVES OUT.

100/100.
    Just watched this as well. And I wanted to clap at the end. A whole lot of fun.
  • docrob 29 Mar 2020 11:51:08 1,565 posts
    Seen 10 hours ago
    Registered 12 years ago
    JoelStinty wrote:
    Bichii wrote:
    KNIVES OUT.

100/100.
    Just watched this as well. And I wanted to clap at the end. A whole lot of fun.
    Thirded! Watched it with the family last night. Itís brilliant.
  • Gruff 29 Mar 2020 11:58:28 3,592 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Jumanji next level 4/10 Lost the surprise element of the last one. Had its moments but not enough of them, did not take it anywhere interesting.
  • beastmaster 29 Mar 2020 12:34:21 20,704 posts
    Seen 4 hours ago
    Registered 16 years ago
    The Manchurian Candidate (1962) - 9/10

I think this is one of the best political thrillers ever made. It's got a brilliant story, top class actors and manages to keep the tension cranked up right to the thrilling end.

It's got a great ensemble cast but I thought James Gregory who plays a senator is especially great.

The Big Sleep (Pre-Release version 1945) - 10/10

One of my top 5 films of all time. It's a tough choice between this and The Maltese Falcon but between Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade, I think Marlowe is the better character. Add to that the fantastic chemistry between Bogart and Bacall and it's a winner.

I watched the pre release version which has approximately 18 minutes extra of Bogart and Bacall scenes. There are a couple of scenes that are noticeably longer but I'm sure I missed a few others. It's been a while since I saw the theatrical cut but this one didn't seem especially slower.

I absolutely love this film. One that I can easily watch over and over.

Lock Up - 4/10

Not one of Stallone's best by a long shot. I've not seen it for a long time and I couldn't remember if I liked it or not. Probably not then and definitely not now.

Best thing about this film is Sonny Landham (Billy from Predator). He's an exceptionally good bad guy. He's about the only one who also manages somewhat of a restrained performance. Stallone and Sutherland are too busy trying to out-ham each other.

Scandal - 8/10

I think this is one of the best British films ever made. It alway seems to be ignored when critics do their Top British Films lists which I think is a huge disservice.

Based on the true story of John Profumo and Christine Keeler, it seems to capture the time perfectly. The casting is superb all around...and what a cast! Sadly, Bridget Fonda hasn't been in anything for around 20 years. One of those actresses who decided to call it day and leave Hollywood.

The film itself caused a scandal when it came out in 1989. The BBFC claimed that you could see a couple actually having sex in the background in an orgy scene, so they had to blur the offending genitalia.

Ministry of Fear- 8/10

A terrific espionage thriller which uses the classic mistaken identity theme, in a story which has plenty of surprises.

I'm really enjoying watching some classic b&w thrillers and grabbed this one as it's on pretty much every "Best Thriller" list. It's one of those perfect Sunday afternoon watches. Nothing too demanding and very entertaining and enjoyable.
  • dominalien 29 Mar 2020 13:49:43 9,598 posts
    Seen 11 hours ago
    Registered 14 years ago
    Suicide Squad on Netflix

Whew, I'm just so glad it's over. The Joker is so terrible. Will Smith can carry any film, of so I thought until now. It's all just so boring.

3/10

Edited by dominalien at 13:49:58 29-03-2020
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Mar 2020 15:15:34 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    Lady & The Tramp
    The live action one
    7/10

Frozen
    9/10

Monsters Inc
    8/10

Only Yesterday
    9/10
  • brokenkey 29 Mar 2020 16:18:12 10,496 posts
    Seen 7 hours ago
    Registered 19 years ago
    Dark Waters 7/10. Losses points for having a character with an accent so think it needed subtitles.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Mar 2020 16:22:46 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    Black Panther

Having succumbed to the Disney+ temptation I thought I'd catch up on a Marvel film I haven't seen (Antman and Wasp still to do) and it wasn't too bad. Definitely one of the poorer Marvel films, but still entertaining enough. I enjoyed having a fun villain although he was a shame he didn't last long. Not particularly exciting, but ok.

6/10
  • simpleexplodingmaybe 29 Mar 2020 16:36:02 13,545 posts
    Seen 9 hours ago
    Registered 5 years ago
    @TechnoHippy I donít think I can judge the MCU films very well anymore since theyíre so formulaic and thereís so many of them now.

Iíve not seen any since Ragnorok though so big catch up if/when I can be bothered
  • spindle9988 29 Mar 2020 16:56:20 5,120 posts
    Seen 3 days ago
    Registered 13 years ago
    TechnoHippy wrote:
    The Mouth of Madness

I'm not quite sure how I've never seen this as I love this era of horror films. The creature effects, the lack of gore, the focus on atmosphere rather than overt violence, and the slightly hammy acting are all brilliant. Sam Neil is his usual self and fits nicely. The bloke who plays the writer is also a favourite of mine, but he's underutilised here - which is a shame. The story is a bit predictable, but fun all the same.

8/10
    I havenít seen this for a long time, I remember liking it though.
  • TechnoHippy 29 Mar 2020 17:09:01 17,310 posts
    Seen 19 hours ago
    Registered 17 years ago
    simpleexplodingmaybe wrote:
    @TechnoHippy I donít think I can judge the MCU films very well anymore since theyíre so formulaic and thereís so many of them now.

Iíve not seen any since Ragnorok though so big catch up if/when I can be bothered
    It's true, I try to judge a film on its own merits, but with sequels, or collections of films it's sometimes difficult to not compare them with the other films. To be fair to Marvel I've enjoyed them all so far to varying degrees.

Thor remains my favourite character though :-)

Sometimes posts may contain links to online retail stores. If you click on one and make a purchase we may receive a small commission. For more information, go here.